Re: Petrarca Trionfi poem motifs in early Trionfi decks

mikeh wrote: 31 Dec 2023, 12:58 [1]. Phaeded: I am not clear about which crown you are talking about in the CY, as there are two of them - one in her hand and one above the scene. I am talking about the one in her hand. She seems to be offering it to someone, probably the knight below. I think the crown in the minchiate card is also being offered, as well as the orb in the Charles VI (and the Rosenwald, which seems to me its popular equivalent, with wings). It is different from the orb in the Bolognese World card, which symbolizes the holder's dominion, with wings on it and his hat to signify rising above the world of change below. I am not sure about the orb in the hand of the person on top of the Bolognese Wheel. It represents dominion in the world (not over it) and may also be held out as a temptation to the one climbing up. Orb and crown are similar.

[2]. I do not see any putti in the cards I showed. And I don't think wings are necessary, if a figure is standing above a world. Anyway, the Bolognese World card's figure does have wings, on his hat (and the Rosenwald, although I didn't show it, has angel's wings). I do not know if there is a world domination theme of the sort you propose for the minchiate card. I don't see it in any other World cards. ...

[3] I am not disagreeing with you, Phaeded, about the symbolism of crowns as dominion. But I think there is more, at least the crown (or orb) in the hand, which suggests offering it to someone. That fits the "martyr" interpretation, but I think another is more appropriate: a symbol of victory and dominion over the world more generally. To the extent that death is part of this world, when the lady has a trumpet in the other hand (the CY), it is a symbol of the victory of Fame, and a kind of dominion after death. ...
1. The two crowns of the CY obviously inform the meaning of one another. The one in the hand balanced by the winged trumpet clearly means the fame of a ruler - that the larger crown is also a base for the allegorical woman as well as literally lording over the landscape vignette below means that is the famous ruler's dominion (or rather, the ruler is famous for his virtuous command of said dominion - the specific dominion does not really alter the iconographical logic here).

2. For the putto I was thinking of the related Ferrara exemplar which holds an orb and scepter just like the Florentine and Pesaro(?) exempli. The putto is symbolically equivalent as the allegorical women, although potentially as the "genius" of the family; the eagle below the tondo indicated the d'Este's imperial investiture. These three cards lose the fame aspect resulting from prudent rulership and are more nakedly about power: the rulership power over the land/dominion indicated below, with no particular virtue alluded to (other than the implicit symbolism of the round mirror typically held by Prudence, now simply a tondo/vignette as found in Malatesta's fortress fresco, showing the dominion of Rimini).

3. I don't see anything indicating martyrdom in the minchiate figure with arrow and crown (unless you want to argue for St. Sebastian which would be beyond obscure here). The dominion is literally labeled: EUROPA. That is the subject of the card, or at least Europe's faith, with the arrow alluding to the church militant dealing with the enemies of the church. While one can object there is no horse, I believe the background here is the first of the four horsemen of Revelations, doling out God's wrath onto his enemies:

Rev. 6:1 –Then I saw the Lamb open one of the seven seals, and I heard one of the four living creatures say with a voice like thunder, “Come!” 2 I looked, and there was a white horse. The horseman on it had a bow; a crown was given to him, and he went out as a victor to conquer.

It is the avenging angel (again, not a putto) given a crown and bow, an arrow being the necessary death-dealing aspect of the bow; those two attributes perfectly match the card in question, which would have Europe in a conquering role over the infidels.

The arrow is even in the exact angle and held in the same hand as the earlier Sforza Death trump (the bow in the other hand), with death here being God's wrath on his enemies:

Phaeded

Sorry for the late reply, Phaeded. My available time has been devoted to Franco's latest posts on naibi.net. But at the moment my email isn't working properly, our main means of communication. But THF is.

It seems to me that the minchiate angel is offering the viewer a choice - the arrow of death or the crown of dominion. Dominion over what, I am not sure, perhaps themselves, or over the world, no longer subject to death but one of the citizens of heaven. I do not think it is a choice of death or submission to the authority of the church. The reason I think the crown is for the viewer is how outstretched the hand is, and the parallel to the other hand, with the arrow. I could be wrong, and it is a rather subtle point; if so, it doesn't affect my argument that the minchiate image could be a model for that part of the Robertet. The artist doesn't have to have a correct interpretation of the minchiate card. He is just using it, or some model of an angel offering a crown, to illustrate the poems' reference to heaven as the place of gods, where the crown is a kind of deification, or elevation to the status of an immortal.

You haven't said what you make of the Robertet Eternity image, Phaeded, in particular the outstretched hands and the objects in them. I'd be interested to know.

I want to look at what Ziegler says about the image of Time. He describes the image as "An old man with a walking stick and an hourglass, an astrolabe on his belt, stands on the personification of fame lying on the ground."

As far as sources, he says:
The personification of time as an old man walking with a cane with an hourglass in his left hand and an astrolabe on his belt corresponds to the existing convention, as exemplified on fol. 46r of the Codex Vind 2649 of the Austrian National Library in Vienna.600 The attributes can vary. Instead of the astrolabe, the zodiac disk and the clock appear more often, as on a tapestry in the Metropolitan Museum in New York.6o' The old man can also be completely devoid of attributes, as in the example of Anne de Polignac's Trionfi (fol. 64v) shows.602
The astrolabe is a good observation. It's not very visible on 24461, just enough to show that it is the same object as on the clearer 5066 copy.
I do not know of any Triumph of Time other than Robertet and after that shows anybody wearing a portable astrolabe on their belt - or a clock, sundial, or zodiac disc in that place. 2649 certainly does not, although it has many of the other attributes of the Robertet figure.
Similar shapes are seen on Florentine cassoni in the 1470s or 1480s, for example the two below. We might wonder if it Is it really an astrolabe, and not a portable sundial, which also existed then. The sun in the middle of the Sallaio certainly suggests such a thing. But we would expect many more lines radiating from the center on a sundial than the 8 on the Robertet and also Sallaio. I cannot tell how many there are in the other cassoni illustration.
An astrolabe can have fewer lines and is a superior device, not only for telling time outside a particular location but useful for a great many other things. Wikipedia's article on the astrolabe has a picture from a 1524 German book showing one being used to measure the height of a building by sighting the angle to the top. To its right below is another picture shown by Wikipedia, this one of an astrolabe from 1276 work for Alfonso X of Spain.
Whatever it is, it is a substitute or addition to the armillary sphere held by Florentine figures of Time and the hourglass held by Tarot Old Men as well as illustrations of the Petrarchan triumphs. Since armillary spheres were shown very early, even before hourglasses, it is possible that this image is early enough to have combined aspects of both, merely replacing the armillary sphere with an astrolabe.

The Robertet timepiece on a belt, in the context of the Petrarchan Triumphs, however, would seem to be that artist's invention, as far as I can tell, even if it derives from timepieces not on belts.

2649 (Ferrara, c. 1460) has most of the other attributes shown on Robertet's Time, but it is rather an anomaly among triumphs of time, as Nathaniel has noted. Tarot cards would have been more accessible. The one on the printed sheet from Ferrara or Venice is especially close. I repeat an image I showed earlier: Robertet, PMB, Ferrara/Venice, BnF (Lyon c. 1500), Bologna c. 1500.
A less common feature of the Robertet image is his pointed shoes, of which the earliest I know are those of the PMB/Colleoni/Visconti-Sforza.
shoesRobertetPMB.jpg shoesRobertetPMB.jpg Viewed 1673 times 22.72 KiB

Similar shoes, at least pointed ones, are on the ms. 2649 image and engraved Florentine versions (below, unidentified plus Rosselli), and no doubt numerous French images in Robertet's time.
shoesEngravedRosselliEtc.jpg shoesEngravedRosselliEtc.jpg Viewed 1673 times 26.74 KiB
The hard sandals over the soft boots seems like a Robertet innovation, even if it probably reflects a style of the time.

My conclusion is as usual inconclusive. The Robertet image could have been pre-1450, but if so it is strange that there is no trace of the astrolobe feature until decades later (on cassoni), and not on the figure's belt.

mikeh wrote: 20 Jan 2024, 11:18 It seems to me that the minchiate angel is offering the viewer a choice - the arrow of death or the crown of dominion. Dominion over what, I am not sure, perhaps themselves, or over the world, no longer subject to death but one of the citizens of heaven. I do not think it is a choice of death or submission to the authority of the church. The reason I think the crown is for the viewer is how outstretched the hand is, and the parallel to the other hand, with the arrow. I could be wrong, and it is a rather subtle point; if so, it doesn't affect my argument that the minchiate image could be a model for that part of the Robertet. The artist doesn't have to have a correct interpretation of the minchiate card. He is just using it, or some model of an angel offering a crown, to illustrate the poems' reference to heaven as the place of gods, where the crown is a kind of deification, or elevation to the status of an immortal.

You haven't said what you make of the Robertet Eternity image, Phaeded, in particular the outstretched hands and the objects in them. I'd be interested to know.
Could you post which card you are specifically referencing? But all I see are variations of the cross-topped orb and sceptre; nothing of great meaning beyond that.

As for the "minchiate angel is offering the viewer a choice" - a choice to destroy or rule the globe or Europe? No. You keep ignoring the fact that the dominion in question is clearly labeled: EUROPA. The arrow represents wrath against the enemies of Europe ('infidels') and the crown is the just rule Europe will provide over the entire world.

The iconographical precedents for the meaning of the arrow is clear: Wrath (in addition to the Sforza Death trump holding arrow above, there are many other representations of God/Jupiter with arrow as well, such as in the Trinci palace frescoes, not to mention the numerous poetic uses of arrow as wrathful lighting bolt from the likes of Filelfo I've posted elsewhere here).

All of this is represented another way but with the exact same meaning in the 17th century Anonymous Parisian deck's World - the world has become the orb (cross-topped = Christian domination), and the angel is steering the world (via the sail, steering the world as a Christian ship of state). I imagine the Minchiate deck was produced during a time of a crusade or military involvement with the Ottomans, hence the addition of the wrath component. And note the same four wind deities surrounding the globe. There simply is no ambiguity here.

Yes, I see your point (I hope). With "Europe" written on the globe, the arrow becomes God's help in assisting (Roman Catholic) Christianity's conquest, making Christians agents of his wrath; the crown is then that of Christianity's dominion over the world, meaning the world in time. With the Sun, Moon, Star, and signs of the zodiac lower down in the sequence, there might also be a suggestion of Christianity's dominion over the celestial bodies, too, in the sense of agents of fate. It also foreshadows the next card in the sequence, in which God's wrath will be visited on some and His pleasure on others after death. The World card is then about the present world of change. To good Christians, the card offers the hope of dominion in this world. To the rest, it suggests defeat. The arrow is God's gift to Christians, the crown God's reward to them.

Such an interpretation actually strengthens my case about the Robertet, assuming the Robertet artist would have shared that interpretation, so thank you. The similarity to the Robertet image is that both objects are gifts from the central figure; it is not a choice between one and the other in either case. The Robertet is not a card, it is an image with related verses, done in France sometime after 1476 and before 1500 one of a series of six illustrating the Triumphs of Petrarch, themselves merely the first six of a series of such word/image combinations in the same collection, the Greco-Roman gods and the muses being next, with obvious affinities to the "Tarot of Mantegna." Jean Robertet, who wrote all or most of the verses on the page, worked for the Bourbon duchy, which had connections by marriage to Mantua and by diplomatic visits to Ferrara in the early part of this period, as well as his brother's and son's participation in the French incursions in the later part.

Here is the Minchiate card alongside the page in the Robertet
book.

A major difference, of course, is what the figure is standing on: in the case of Eternity, it is chiefly a prostrate Time, and also the other triumphs, as indicated by the things they had been holding, in so far as they were in time (which doesn't exclude an eternal aspect to any of them, in my opinion). Time has been vanquished. In the Minchiate, it would appear that the world itself is not vanquished, just dominated over by the angel's supporters. Also, this victory seems not to have been achieved, hence the need for the arrow. In the Robertet, however, the palm leaf, substituting for the arrow, represents Eternity's victory, and the crown, it seems to me, the reward of those who triumph with her (and not her own triumph, because she has her own crown). Or something like that - the precise analysis is not as important as a kind of general affinity symbolically, with the differences I've noted, and within that framework the visual similarity in the two figures, what they hold, and how they hold them.

My reason for bringing up this card - as well as other cards showing people on top holding symbols of domination in both hands - is to say that we need not suppose a familiarity with a tradition of Petrarch illustrations now lost, going back to the time of the Cary-Yale, to find precedents for Robertet's image of Eternity holding a shaft-like thing in one hand and a crown or other symbol of domination in the other.

We also have to bear in mind that the card would have been known as the World, which in Ferrara and Mantua would have been the last card in the sequence, corresponding to the placement of Eternity in Petrarch's sequence. So the Robertet artist could easily misinterpret the card as about the triumph of eternity, although that is not a necessary assumption for him to have borrowed from it. Moreover, we don't know if the Minchiate-style card would have already had the "Europe" on its globe. It might have just been hills and towers, or the four elements. That would have added some ambiguity.

p. s. I suppose, in order to have an opinion on the Robertet, image, you might want to know what the verses say. I have translated all but the top left elsewhere. I can repeat and perhaps complete it, but it will take another day to get it together.

mikeh wrote: 29 Jan 2024, 12:21 My reason for bringing up this card - as well as other cards showing people on top holding symbols of domination in both hands - is to say that we need not suppose a familiarity with a tradition of Petrarch illustrations now lost, going back to the time of the Cary-Yale, to find precedents for Robertet's image of Eternity holding a shaft-like thing in one hand and a crown or other symbol of domination in the other.
Well, this is one reason why I said that an important part of my argument will have to be a discussion of the evolution of the World card, demonstrating that all later cards are likely to be descended from something like the VdM World card.

But the big problem with your argument here is that you are ignoring the simple and indisputable fact that the tarot image that bears the closest resemblance to Robertet's Eternity image is the World card in the earliest tarot deck known to us, the VdM deck from the early 1440s—exactly the period to which the accompanying Latin verses can be reliably dated.

Rather than accepting the obvious implication that Robertet's image probably dates from that period too, and that there was therefore probably some close relationship between it and the tarot decks of the early 1440s, you instead embark on a long and convoluted attempt to gather evidence for the far less plausible proposition that the Robertet image was not created until several decades later, and was created at that time on the basis of tarot cards that bear far less resemblance to it than that early World card does.

Why would you engage in such seemingly bizarre and pointless intellectual effort?
Two likely reasons present themselves.

The most obvious one is that you are deeply wedded to your own prior interpretation of the VdM World card as Fame and are extremely unwilling to have to discard that interpretation, because of the extensive theoretical construct that you have built around it.

However, I think there is also another reason, which is worth exploring at length, because it constitutes a fundamental problem in the approach that you and many other tarot people take to the interpretation of historical tarot imagery. It is manifest in this remarkable statement that you made at the end of your second-last post here:
The Robertet image could have been pre-1450, but if so it is strange that there is no trace of the astrolabe feature until decades later (on cassoni), and not on the figure's belt.
"No trace of the astrolabe feature"... and yet, in a much earlier post in this thread, I called your attention to the following:
[The Robertet Time figure] has a large object hanging from his belt in about the same position as the similarly-sized pouch of the BnF and Bolognese Old Man figures.
I think it's reasonably obvious that this statement of mine was intended to imply that those pouches are very much a "trace of the astrolabe feature". Yet your discussion completely ignores this possibility. Maybe you simply forgot what I wrote; it was several months ago, admittedly. But I doubt that this is the only reason that this slipped your mind. Based on everything you have written on this forum and elsewhere, it appears that you, like most tarot people, are simply very disinclined to perceive these kinds of connections between images, or to take them very seriously when they are pointed out to you.

Like most tarot people, you always seem to want to believe that every artist had an absolutely perfect understanding of what they were doing when they created one of these images, and that it is therefore extremely unlikely for a timepiece to be transformed accidentally into a pouch. Yet that is manifestly not the case: such accidental transformations did indeed occur when images created by one artist were copied by another, and they occurred often.

There is a useful parallel here with the copying of manuscript text. Scribal copyists regularly made errors and alterations when copying a text from an earlier manuscript. The copyists of images (whether in manuscripts, on playing-cards, or any other media where images were frequently copied) were prone to making exactly the same kind of errors and alterations as the scribes.

This is because these copyists rarely had an entirely perfect understanding of the earlier text or image, and the imperfections of their understanding took the same essential forms, whether they were copying words or pictures. These forms can be mainly categorized as follows:

1. Misinterpretation: The copyist misread or misunderstood something in the original text or image, consequently rendering it as a different word or different pictorial detail. Examples include the Ecce/Esse at the start of the last line of the Death quatrain, or the famous transformation of the hourglass into a lantern on the Time card of early tarot decks.

2. Accidental omission: The copyist overlooked or forgot some detail in the original, resulting in a missing word in the text, or a missing detail in the image. An example is the missing single-syllable word immediately after Ecce/Esse in the last line of the Death quatrain.

3. Attempted improvement: The copyist changed some word or detail because they believed that the change would improve the text or image. In many cases, this was not a copying error as such, but deliberate embellishment, or a correction of a genuine mistake in the earlier text or image (such as the addition of sed after Ecce/Esse in the last line of the Death quatrain in some of the French copies). But not infrequently, the copying scribe or artist was miscorrecting something in the original text or image—something that they mistakenly believed to be an error, but which had actually been intentional.

All of these types of alteration result in what could be termed "imperfect copies", imperfect in the specific sense that they result in a text or image that deviates from the intention of the creator of the earlier text or image that is being copied.

An awareness of this phenomenon, and a willingness to acknowledge occurrences of it, are essential to any understanding of the history of something like tarot cards, yet it is something that most tarot people largely neglect. Instead, they tend to focus almost exclusively on attempting to explain the "meaning" of each detail in each image, considered largely independently of any image that preceded it in the chain of copying, and certainly with no regard to possible imperfections in the artist's understanding of that previous image.

Now, it is all very well to seek to explain why the artist may have thought it appropriate to put a lantern in the Old Man image, for instance. That can be an interesting and useful line of inquiry in itself. But if you are attempting to reconstruct the complete history of the image, you need to be capable of acknowledging that, regardless of what it might have meant or symbolized to the artist who put it there, that lantern is also ultimately an imperfect copy of an earlier hourglass.

The same applies to copied text: sure, it's helpful to explain that the Modena copyist wrote Ecce at the start of that line because it seemed to make sense there. But it's much more important to a reconstruction of the history of the text to realize that it could well have been a misreading of Esse, and that this word (whether Esse or Ecce) must also have been followed by some single-syllable word that was accidentally omitted from the Modena text. And it is similarly important to realize that the insertion of sed in that position in some French manuscripts was primarily an attempt to remedy that omission, and was not added just because the scribe liked the resulting wording.

Coming back to Robertet's Time image and its "astrolabe feature": the reason I think that the pouches of the BnF Old Man and the Bolognese Old Man are derived from that "astrolabe feature" is precisely because, as you noted, "I do not know of any Triumph of Time other than Robertet and after that shows anybody wearing a portable astrolabe on their belt - or a clock, sundial, or zodiac disc in that place." Not only that: other than on tarot cards, I have seen no other 15th century Time image that shows the figure with anything at all hanging from his belt, with the sole exception of a printed edition from 1494 showing a small ring of beads there. Yet there are no less than four early tarot cards that show Time with something obviously hanging from his belt: there is the pouch on the two cards already mentioned, and there is also the large white ribbon affixed to the belt of Time on the Catania card and the Charles V card.

My hypothesis is that both the pouch and the large white ribbon are "imperfect copies" of exactly the same earlier object, namely a version of the "astrolabe feature" of the Robertet Time image. Both the pouch and the ribbon are essentially inexplicable in themselves: neither symbolize Time in any way, and neither appear on any other known images of Time, or even on any other Old Man cards in tarot decks. It is therefore very likely that they derive from some alteration of an earlier object.

It is my belief that the "astrolabe feature" of the Robertet Time image is itself likewise an imperfect copy of an earlier object. This is because it must surely have been intended to be a timepiece of some kind, yet it does not exactly resemble any type of timekeeping device. It is not likely to have been an astrolabe, because astrolabes normally have eccentric rings, not purely concentric ones like those of this object, and in any case astrolabes were not primarily timepieces: that was just one of their many possible uses, and not the most prominent. It doesn't look like a portable sundial either, because it lacks the element required to cast the shadow, and it is much larger than portable sundials usually were at this time. Portable sundials in the late Middle Ages and Renaissance were often quite small items, made in two identically-sized halves that folded up together like a wallet (image here). I am actually inclined to think that the other, smaller object on the belt of the Robertet Time figure could have originally been a portable sundial, before imperfect copying transformed it into the small pouch we see in the surviving image (and like the ribbon and pouch on the tarot cards, the presence of that little pouch is otherwise inexplicable, as it adds nothing to the allegorical representation). But the larger, circular object is unlikely to have ever been a portable sundial.

So what was it? The most likely explanation is that it was originally a nocturnal. (If you want to google for images and information about these devices, I recommend using the Latin, French, Italian, or German names: nocturlabium, nocturlabe, notturlabio, Sternuhr). Nocturnals looked more or less exactly like the object on the belt of Robertet's Time, except that it omits the pointer component: a long bar radiating out from the center of the disk, often slightly wider at its far end and tapering to a narrower width at the center of the disk. What I suspect happened when this image made its way onto tarot cards is that one or more artists omitted the pointer and transformed the disk into a pouch, but others appear to have omitted the disk and retained the tapered pointer instead, transforming it into the large white ribbon that we see on the Catania and Charles V image. This hypothesis neatly explains the origin of all three images—the pouch, the ribbon, and the Robertet disk—as all being derived from a single original image of a timepiece. Moreover, if that disk was originally a nocturnal, and the smaller object on the belt was originally a portable sundial, then the original Time image would have shown the figure wearing a matching pair of timepieces, one for the day and one for the night, which works beautifully in the context of this allegory.

Incidentally, the BnF Old Man and the Bolognese Old Man both provide us with another example of imperfect copying, in addition to the pouch at their belt. In each one, Time's hourglass has also been transformed, but in different ways: in the first case into a lantern and in the second case into the pillar behind the figure's back.

I also mentioned another possible example of imperfect copying in my last post in this thread, when I suggested that the palm and crown of Robertet's Eternity could have originally been a winged trumpet and crown. You appear to have overlooked that post of mine entirely, as you normally reply to everything, but you have made no reply to any part of that one at all (an alternative possibility is that you ignored it deliberately, because you did not wish to admit that Hurst's interpretation of the VdM World could be correct, but I hope I am wrong to even imagine such a possibility). You again ignored my discussion of the palm and crown in your last post here, where you wrote "In the Robertet, however, the palm leaf, substituting for the arrow, represents Eternity's victory, and the crown, it seems to me, the reward of those who triumph with her (and not her own triumph, because she has her own crown)."

mikeh wrote: 29 Jan 2024, 12:21 ...The Robertet is not a card, it is an image with related verses, done in France sometime after 1476 and before 1500 one of a series of six illustrating the Triumphs of Petrarch, ...

Here is the Minchiate card alongside the page in the Robertet
MinchiateWorldRobertetEternity.jpg book.

... In the Robertet, however, the palm leaf, substituting for the arrow, represents Eternity's victory, and the crown, it seems to me, the reward of those who triumph with her (and not her own triumph, because she has her own crown). Or something like that....

Thanks for explaining. The French provenance explains the similarity to Pizan's deities from her Othea, the celestial ones of which sit on rainbow arcs, with the children of the planets below (although other figures like Bacchus and Juno have "children" below as well).

The palm frond almost always means martyrdom and I think you are essentially on the right track here - she is offering the reward, the crown of salvation, to her "children", the Faithful. The prostrate figure - labeled 'Le Sens'? (lesser used meaning of 'the way'?) - has a quiver, bow and arrows in front of him (plus a broken sword and maces?), and the hourglass, prudence's mirror and book behind...presumably the implements indicating some version of the split groups of the heroes of Fama: warriors and philosophers. I would suggest that is a pilgrim amongst the things by which one can lose their way, while above is the allegory of salvation.

And we have encountered Fama's warrior/scholar duality before in an abbreviated allegory - Sforza's c. 1440 medal reverse - where we find both a sword and books:

One reason I advocate for a fama of Sforza (knight below) interpretation of the CY World (the horse in both the trump and the medal indicates his status as knight, as of course in Latin 'horse/knight' are virtually the same: equus/eques).

A Lo Scheggia Fama holding the sword and book, with warrior and scholar groups about her (split horizontally here - warriors to the fore, scholars to the rear):

Thanks for your engagement, Nathaniel and Phaeded.

Phaeded wrote,
The palm frond almost always means martyrdom and I think you are essentially on the right track here - she is offering the reward, the crown of salvation, to her "children", the Faithful. The prostrate figure - labeled 'Le Sens'? (lesser used meaning of 'the way'?) - has a quiver, bow and arrows in front of him (plus a broken sword and maces?), and the hourglass, prudence's mirror and book behind...presumably the implements indicating some version of the split groups of the heroes of Fama: warriors and philosophers. I would suggest that is a pilgrim amongst the things by which one can lose their way, while above is the allegory of salvation.
You have to see the objects in terms of the previous five Triumph illustrations. The palm frond had already been held in a similar position by Chastity, standing over a prostate Cupid. I interpret it there as victory, which is also a common meaning. I think the same is true with Eternity. The bow and arrow are Cupid's. The hourglass of course is from Time (the prostrate "Le Temps"), and the mirror and book are from Fame (both were used by Giotto for Prudence - how the mirror got there for Fame I don't know). That these objects are there is to indicate Eternity's triumph over them. See https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Petr ... 1-love.jpg, and the others by way of the side-arrow.

Do you have a link for the Pizan Otheo gods sitting on rainbows? I appreciate that reference. Another source might be the arcs of the spheres of the cosmos that appear in "Triumph of Eternity" illustrations. I didn't know about, or forgot, the horse on the medal. Yes, knights are connected with Fame.

Nathaniel wrote,
But the big problem with your argument here is that you are ignoring the simple and indisputable fact that the tarot image that bears the closest resemblance to Robertet's Eternity image is the World card in the earliest tarot deck known to us, the VdM deck from the early 1440s—exactly the period to which the accompanying Latin verses can be reliably dated.
I don't disagree that the other World cards might descend from something like the Modrone World card, and specifically that the arrow and crown on the Minchiate World card might descend from such a trumpet and crown. It is no contradiction for me that a card representing Fame should become detached from that meaning later, by removing the trumpet (which, after all, is featured on another card). Then it is no longer clearly identifiable as Fame; rather, it is a prelude to the Angel of Judgment card that follows it in the sequence. That doesn't make it Eternity, however. I think that if Phaeded is right that the crown represents Western European Christianity dominating the world, that the minchiate World card remains very this-worldly, about God's care for the world in time, if we care for God. A card with that message (although not likely with the word "Europe" on its globe) could also apply to a world reshaped by God and his angels into the New Jerusalem: hence it is easy for the card to change position and become last instead of second to last.

I am not trying to refute your hypothesis regarding the Robertet verses (that they aren't Robertet's, but Italian from before 1450), but just to construct alternatives that seem at least as likely, supporting the hypothesis that it is at least as likely that a 1480s or 90s artist would find inspiration from something of that time, such as one of the World cards that evolved from whatever corresponded to the Modrone card then in cards or Petrarch illuminations. If it turns out that I can't construct anything as plausible as your hypothesis, that strengthens yours. But the Minchiate World card seems to me close enough, if something like that existed then. Given the similar Modrone, I think that likely.

Moving on to the Triumph of Time. You hypothesize that the astrolabe is an original feature of the 1440s cards, even though there are no versions of Time or the Old Man with anything similar devices that might be associated with time. I say that the artist might have gotten the idea of an astrolabe from the various comparable devices, connected with time told from the heavens, on Triumphs of Time, such as the cassone examples I gave. Now I can think of a few others: a Minchiate-like Moon card, as well as the d'Este Moon card, which besides an armillary sphere has an astronomer drawing circles on a flat surface, perhaps representing someone inventing the device. Or the Bolognese Moon card's armillary sphere. By then, Time in Petrarch's sense of cosmic time could be better represented in a celestial card with celestial objects than in an old man with an hourglass. That seems to me at least as likely as an earlier astrolabe that survived as a pouch or a ribbon.

When I said that I saw no trace of an astrolabe or portable sundial in Old Man cards, I was thinking of "trace" in a narrow sense, of something on the card that might be construed as such a thing. But there is also a broader sense of "trace", I suppose. So if you want to hypothesize that the astrolabe survives in the pouches and ribbons that are in that place on his body, I guess that counts as a trace of sorts, if the artists forgot that the figure represented Time. I certainly don't believe that artists have a perfect understanding of what they are trying to reproduce: "creative misreading" is a potent source of invention. I invoke such a principle myself, in fact even in the post you are replying to here, entertaining the hypothesis that the Robertet artist misread a minchiate-like World card as about Eternity. But given that the figures in the Triumphs of Time looked so much like the figures of the Old Man in the tarot cards, which they also made, some of them, Apollonio di Giovanni for example (for the Charles VI), I find it hard to believe that they would have forgotten so easily. It is also hard for me to believe that the Robertet image could have been constructed by an artist who was oblivious to symbols of time (and so misread a portable sundial as a small pouch), when what he is doing is a Triumph of Time and has already managed an astrolabe-like thing.

However, another principle, which I would add to your three, is that of the needs of the composition. If you have an hourglass, then also having an astrolabe might be considered overkill. So instead of an astrolabe, you give him a ribbon/sash - or nothing, as in the case of the PMB. It is possible. The sash could also be just a decorative touch.

The Bolognese card has a pouch; its upper and lower borders are even curved like parts of circles. In this case, there is nothing on the card that associates him directly with Time in a cosmic sense, just the ruins of time. The artist surely would have been familiar with the Petrarchan figures of Time on crutches. If so, it is odd that he would have missed seeing a symbol of time. The French Old Man card with a pouch could then be an elaboration of that pouch.

As I say, I have no problem with copyists making mistakes in copying, as well as authors misreading. They can also intentionally depart from an existing tradition by trying to improve what they have been given - [added lmext day] as you point out. In the case of Robertet, it could as well be the latter as the former. On the Old Man card, I have no idea whether the transformation of an hourglass into a lantern was intentional or a mistake. For someone associating the Old Man with Saturn and wisdom, as became fashionable, a light in the darkness makes more sense than an hourglass. The artist is adjusting the image for a new sensibility, a matter of new wine in old wineskins. [sentence removed.]

I want to end this post by giving Phaeded the rest of what is on the Eternity image, namely the verses.
Here they are, starting upper left, with my Google-assisted translation. I hope that Nathaniel will correct my mistakes, as all I know about Latin is what I can find on Wiktionary (I am using Ziegler's transcription):
Sextus triu(um)phus et ultimus
Eternitatis est q(uae) nullo
te(m)poris i(n)tervalo superari
potest. Sed omniam in se
capit omnia vincit
omnia superat
The sixth and final triumph,
Eternity, is that which no
interval of time can overcome.
But it takes into itself
all things, conquers all things,
overcomes all things

Lower right:
Ip(s)a triu(m)phali sedens regina tropheo
De vetere palma(m) tempore leta gero
Rex Amor atqu(e) pudor mors fama &
tempus adibunt [another ms., historically and now in Modena has "abibunt"]
Celeste(m) patria(m) regia n(ost)ra tenet
Eternitas o(mn)ia vincit
omnia superat
The very queen sitting in triumph, the trophy
of the old palm of time I bear;
King, Love, as much as chastity, death, fame
& time will assail [or better, will pass away, for abibunt]
Our kingdom holds the celestrial country
Eternity conquers all
overcomes all

Lower right:
Je suis seant au hault triumphal throsne
Du temps passe porte palme et couronne
Joyeusement comme victorieuse
Sur les choses crees glorieuse
Mondaine amour et chastete pudicque
Mort fame et temps tant soit vieil & anticque
Tout prandra fin mais jay ma mention
Eterne au ciel en clere vision
Eternite vaint tout

Tempora Fama Mors Virtus amor efugit omnis
Eternos iubeo vivere sola deos
I am seated at the high triumphal throne;
from Time passed I bear palm and crown
Joyfully as victorious,
Over glorious created things.
Worldly Love and Pudic Chastity.
Death, Fame and Time, however old and ancient:
All will end, but I have my mansion
Eternal in heaven in clear vision.
Eternity conquers all.

Times, Fame, Death, Virtue, Love all fled
I command the eternal gods alone to live.

In my interpretation (and now Nathaniel's, I see - as opposed to just the martyrs), the crown is for the holy souls who, like the gods of old, now have immortal life.

I need to say something about adibunt vs. abibunt. Robertet has the former, but it easy to mix up b and d; the latter makes more sense, unless "adibunt" had some meaning I don't know about. The verb is third-person future plural, so with the five prior triumphs as subject.) "Abibunt" is found in a modern edition (1939) of one of Robertet's correspondents, Molinet, but in brackets, so an editor's interpolation. It is also found in a copy of the verses at the end of a manuscript historically and at present in Modena, but with the date "1447" in an earlier section of it.

It seems to me reasonable to hypothesize that the verses were put there at a later date, as the ms. has many blank pages at the end. In that case they might have traveled from France to Italy rather than the other way around. Considering the likely influence of c. 1470-90 Ferrara on various images (the "Tarot of Mantegna" if nothing else), and that the ms. was probably originally in Ferrara, this, or that the verses came from Ferrara to France in the 1470s or 1480s, is not out of the question. I suppose if it could be shown that the scribe of the two was the same, that would make the hypothesis dubious, although a 30 year career is not unthinkable (1476 being the most reasonable date if Robertet wrote them). The writing does look the same, but there was a standard scribal script then.
Last edited by mikeh on 31 Jan 2024, 22:53, edited 1 time in total.

mikeh wrote: 31 Jan 2024, 14:01 Thanks for your engagement, Nathaniel and Phaeded.

Phaeded wrote,
You have to see the objects in terms of the previous five Triumph illustrations. The palm frond had already been held in a similar position by Chastity, standing over a prostate Cupid. I interpret it there as victory, which is also a common meaning. I think the same is true with Eternity. The bow and arrow are Cupid's. The hourglass of course is from Time (the prostrate "Le Temps"), and the mirror and book are from Fame (both were used by Giotto for Prudence - how the mirror got there for Fame I don't know). That these objects are there is to indicate Eternity's triumph over them. See https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Petr ... 1-love.jpg, and the others by way of the side-arrow.

Do you have a link for the Pizan Otheo gods sitting on rainbows? I appreciate that reference. Another source might be the arcs of the spheres of the cosmos that appear in "Triumph of Eternity" illustrations. I didn't know about, or forgot, the horse on the medal. Yes, knights are connected with Fame.
Regarding the palm frond I think we're saying the same thing, but keep in mind the palm frond was ubiquitous in religious iconography in showing martyr saints, and any contemporary viewer of Petrarch images would not ignore that. A brief pictorial essay: https://www.christianiconography.info/palmCrown.html

Chastity holds the frond as symbol of victory over Eros in the same sense Roberet's "Salvation/Eternity" is holding the frond out for the prone pilgrim below, IF he desists from fighting (the weapons on the left) and from the blandishments of the worldly philosophers (symbols of worldly learning on the right) and is victorious over those distractions from the ultimate goal. I still see the bifurcation of the weapons (its not just a bow and arrow suggestive of Cupid - there is a sword and maces) on the left and learning on the right (Giotto's prototype has a desk-seated person with compass - a scholar of some kind - with Prudence's round mirror), just as in the Fama triumphs, which is still Petrarch (and note the hourglass is held by the PMB's 'Hermit' - anyone would have read that as a mendicant, the arch symbol of learning). In the case of Robertet's Eternity one imagines the indicated pilgrim set out for Fama after being infected by Cupid (fame gets the woman), and so Eternity indicates the full circle of the collective trionfi, ending with Eternity.

As for Othea - not sure what happened to the British Library link (which had a brief description of each card), but the gods on arcs begins with f99v here: https://sites.google.com/view/harley4431/ Not a Pizan innovation per say (God or Jesus are shown seated on Creation/Cosmos indicated by an arc) but what she pioneered was the children of the planets, with each planetary god on an arc (with "children" below), although sometimes hidden by the other mark of divinity - the stylized scalloped clouds, which we also find in the CY World (but of course the Visconti had married into the French court). In this she may have been influenced by representation's of the Triumph of Eternity. You've seen Othea images numerous times here - e.g., Venus:

Pesellino shows the bifurcation of martial heroes (left) and scholars (right) and the iconographical connection between Fama and Eternity here, the former's circular greenish-brown world behind her reproduced in Eternity's image (at a flattened angle now), but now beset on by a heavenly arcs on which are Christian divinities:

Well, I have nothing to add, Phaeded.

I want to continue with Ziegler. My general purpose is to see whether he has anything to say that might shed light on the sources of the Robertet Triumphs. After the six comes the Wheel of Fortune. While not a Petrarchan triumph, it is a tarot subject, hence of relevance. He comments, in my google-assisted translation:
The composition (Fig. 4) remains the same in all three manuscripts and is based on a copper engraving by the master with the scrolls.6o3 All of the inscriptions in the engraving have been replaced. There are three important changes compared to the engraving: Fortuna, which is on the left edge of the picture, is reinterpreted as reason. As in the engraving, Fortuna appears blindfolded, but with the attribute of the windmill {Windmuehle: we'd call it a pinwheel) in her left hand, as a newly added figure in the drawing to the right of the center of the picture. The second significant change concerns the Wheel of Fortune, which now follows a depiction scheme as it appears in illustrations from numerous early prints around 1500: in the woodcut for the chapter "Of Lucky Chance" in Sebastian Brant's Ship of Fools, in the Strasbourg edition of Horace’s Odes of 1498, in Martin Le Franc's Estrif de fortune et vertu or in a famous print from Petrarch's De Remediis utriusque fortunae.605 The third change concerns the transformation of the tree of life with death shooting arrows into a common plant that merges with the rest of the pictorial decoration. Two drawings in the so-called Vergänglichkeitsbuch (Transience Book) of Werner von Zimmern are also based on the master's copperplate engraving with small banderoles. 606

Of the two attributes of reason, square measure and compass, the latter is not only one of Prudentia, but also of science. 607 On f. 41r of the Recueil Robertet it is then directly the attribute of the successfully rising courtier guided by prudence and moderation. 608
The footnotes are not especially helpful, at least to me, as all or most of the illustrations are on the internet. They are in the second link below (first I give the German for what I have just translated)
I am uncertain regarding which von Zimmern illustration he is referring to; on the web pages of the book, I find none with wheels of fortune; in any event he didn't start it until around 1520, finished around 1540. I also do not know which edition of Le Franc he is referring to, although they are similar enough. About the De Remediis, I am stumped. All the ones I can find are like that of the Master of the Banderoles as opposed to Robertet. However, some images on the internet lack identification.

Below, I give first the Robertet - colored, like a few other illustrations in the book. Below that is the Master with the Banderoles, then LeFranc and the Horace, then Ship of Fools, one illustrating De Remediis (from Hans Burgkmaier), and the Budapest Sheet Wheel card. What is key to me is where the donkey body parts: upper body, lower body, or both.
Only the Horace, the Ship of Fools, and the Budapest Sheet have people on the wheel with donkey parts in the same places as the Robertet. But the first two are missing the person at the bottom, present in Robertet. He is in the Banderole Master's engraving, but on the Wheel, as he usually was depicted, not on the ground, comfortable (as opposed to trampled on, as in Le Franc). But the closest match is with the tarot card, which is from Ferrara or Venice. And only that card. The PMB and BB cards' people on the Wheel (not shown) have only donkey ears, human otherwise. The Minchiate card has fully human figures on the sides.

Except for the Master of the Banderoles, these are rather late to have influenced an artist thought to have worked until around 1500, doing 67 of the illustrations, of which this is the seventh (Ziegler's chart, p. 68, of which the relevant part is at the link below. We don't know how old the tarot card design is, unfortunately. Ship of Fools was first published in 1494, but whether the illustration was present then I don't know. The one I posted is from 1498. The French translation was 1497, according to Wikipedia. Considering that Durer, who is thought to have done it, was in Venice in 1494-5, it is possible that he was inspired by the card or that it had reached Nuremberg even before. The Horace is 1498, and it and the Brant is too much like it for them not to be related. Durer also made copies of some of the "Tarot of Mantegna," but not so many - at least as known - that he could have been the source for the "Mantegna" inspired drawings in the Robertet. Durer only did five of the Muses (listed in Kaplan, vol. 1, p. 47), whereas all nine are in the Robertet.

At any rate, the close correspondence between the Robertet Wheel and the Budapest Sheet, of Venice or Ferrara, tends to support the hypothesis of the influence of that region's cards and Petrarch illustrations on the Robertet designs.