Re: Giovanni dal Ponte and Rothschild cards dating

Nathaniel wrote: 06 May 2022, 09:50 As I indicated above, I disagree, on the grounds of the conservatism of playing card design. It seems quite plausible to me that these features could indeed have been preserved over that length of time, simply by the artists copying the cards that came before.
We'll have to disagree on the plausibility of it. I pointed out the Bembos, who used three different borders on packs produced within about 15 years of one another, with the two earliest within two or three years. Also the Ercole d'Este cards, which use fleurettes on the inside border. The conservative tradition persists for 35 years or more, only to be abandoned by 1473?

For me the incidental features like the identical borders and imperial crowns argue strongly for close proximity in time and place.

Ross Caldwell wrote: 06 May 2022, 10:29 We'll have to disagree on the plausibility of it. I pointed out the Bembos, who used three different borders on packs produced within about 15 years of one another, with the two earliest within two or three years. Also the Ercole d'Este cards, which use fleurettes on the inside border. The conservative tradition persists for 35 years or more, only to be abandoned by 1473?

For me the incidental features like the identical borders and imperial crowns argue strongly for close proximity in time and place.
Well, the Bembos were not in Florence, so not directly comparable. And the Este deck was made for Ferrara, which means it could have been modeled on a different design tradition entirely.

Did you see my earlier post in this thread today? You'll be interested in what it says about Simona Cohen's contribution, I think.

Nathaniel -

In your earlier remarks on the linked thread you mentioned about how the Rothschild cards "look old" to you, and that the gothic tracery was abandoned in Florence by mid-century.

But Sbaraglio remarks on "un recupero di stilemi tardogotici" in Giovanni's late period, which makes him date the Seven Liberal Arts cassone panel to later in the "1430-1435" period. The Museo del Prado itself puts it at 1435
https://www.museodelprado.es/coleccion/ ... el%20ponte

Part of that late gothic style is undoubtedly the border tracery with fleurettes -

Nathaniel wrote: 06 May 2022, 10:53 Did you see my earlier post in this thread today? You'll be interested in what it says about Simona Cohen's contribution, I think.
Yes, absolutely. I have noted that she says "by 1450." So this does imply that it could be earlier. I just tend to keep bringing her up, as starkly as I can, because I want people to study her work, which is unequalled on the subject of the iconography of Time. Her papers and book chapters are easily available on academia, but not enough people realise her relevance for our subject. I'm glad you went back to her.

Nathaniel wrote: 06 May 2022, 10:53 Well, the Bembos were not in Florence, so not directly comparable. And the Este deck was made for Ferrara, which means it could have been modeled on a different design tradition entirely.
The Bembos weren't, but they were the same family, which makes their changes even less explicable than two different ateliers and sets of artists separated by 30 years in Florence.

The Este cards were indeed made according to a different model of trumps, just look at the Sun card. But why shouldn't the borders, inessential to the visual impact of the cards, have maintained such a sturdy Florentine style?

It seems that arguing like this is fruitless, since we are always going to be coming up with ad hoc reasons for why it's different in the case we want to be different. This is why I try to look for analogies and controls outside of the examples themselves, in order to show a wider trend. This is why, for instance, I continually bring up Cohen's work on the iconography of Time, which is very specifically relevant to our study, and Fernando de la Torre's invention of an extra emperor in his card game. I think the latter is important for a hint at what he might have seen in Florence. I've been bringing him up for 12 years, but so far nobody else has seen any relevance (as well as for his wider worth in discussions of allegory in card games).

Ross Caldwell wrote: 06 May 2022, 12:38 and Fernando de la Torre's invention of an extra emperor in his card game. I think the latter is important for a hint at what he might have seen in Florence. I've been bringing him up for 12 years, but so far nobody else has seen any relevance (as well as for his wider worth in discussions of allegory in card games).
Oh, I think one or two of us have seen some relevance, no? Well, one of us at least.
We also have another piece of evidence which is consistent with the idea that the Imperatori deck had only one emperor, and that is the game created by Fernando de la Torre sometime around 1450 for Mencía Enríquez de Mendoza, Countess of Castañeda in Spain. This game had one trump card, an Emperor, which was a separate card depicting the actual figure, like the trumps of Marziano and tarot. As Ross has observed, it is extremely unlikely that its creator invented the concept of trumps independently, so he probably took it from a game he had experienced while living in Florence in the early 1430s ("El Juego de naypes of Fernando de la Torre: A Fifteenth-Century Spanish Card Game," The Playing-Card 39 no. 1 (2010), p. 33). This is seems too early for tarot, but it is exactly the period when the court of Ferrara was importing Imperatori decks from Florence. So Imperatori could well have been the game that inspired Fernando de la Torre's single Emperor.
https://forum.tarothistory.com/viewtop ... 586#p24586

Ross Caldwell wrote: 06 May 2022, 09:38
Phaeded wrote: 06 May 2022, 02:20 I don't have anything to weigh in on for your main theory - its certainly a fairly radical redating (especially of the "CVI" - a problem for dating that one too early: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1159 ) - but I do have something for you on Dal Ponte and the "Vecchio".
I can't get anything from that thread that poses a solid challenge to dating Charles VI to the 1440s. The embroidered "FANTE" on the Fante of Swords' leg?
Skip down to the response #9, mine, from which I quote from this work (the main subject is a round stained glass window in a chapel of the Annunziata commissioned by Piero de'Medici, with Arabic script on its circumference):
Because the Mamluks could have perceived and treated Piero in this way (as they did Lorenzo) and because the regal language found in diplomatic correspondences could apply interchangeability across socio-linguistic demarcations (as it did for Lorenzo), Piero could have encouraged a perception of his authority as princely. The Arabic epithets Piero did have incorporated into the design of his oculus contribute the strongest evidence that this is exactly how he envisioned, or wished to promote, himself. Piero’s stained-glass window represents, avant la lettre, a visual analogue to the language of praise applied to Lorenzo before it became politically permissible and physically safe for an acknowledgement of Medici power within Florence. Contextually, the design and installation of the oculus occurred contemporaneously with Piero early- to mid-1460s acquisition of a modicum of dominance over the Florentine patrician oligarchs [326]....Despite the size of the Arabic calligraphy, because it was recognizable as Arabic, select members of this group could have understood the promoted ideology of Medici control of Florence. Thus, in a beautiful work of hubris, the oculus acted as one instrument of Piero’s attempt to transform his tentative political power into a robust image of self-projected authority, absolute and equal to any “oriental” autocrat: Piero di Cosimo de’Medici as Florentine caliph, sultan, or amir.[327] Bradley J. Cavallo, "Of Medici and Mamluk Power: Islamic Forms in a Renaissance Florentine Stained-Glass Window." (Viator, Jan 2014: 311-330)
The Fante of Swords calza detail almost exactly matches a detail of Piero de Medici's right calza in Gozzoli's 'Magi' painting of c. 1459-60; the similar Arabic text on the oculus noted above happens a little later - mid-1460s. While Arabic script, pseudo and otherwise, goes back to at least the 1420s as a Florentine design element, this particular fashion of calza usage, right below the right knee in the CVI, can be tied to a particular datable work of art. There are other elements that would have me tie the CVI to Piero's son, Lorenzo, but let's keep the focus on the calza - what 1440s examples with Arabic script are there? The evidence overwhelmingly points to a date at least under Piero (and I find the floral brocade on the fante to match that employed by Botticelli, another Medici-patronized artist).

The CVI has much in common with the "EE" tarot deck which has all the hallmarks of being made for the 1473 wedding Ercole I d'Este and Leonora of Aragon wedding, as well as what I still prefer to call the Alessandro Sforza deck.

Finally, we all agree that card-makers in particular resorted to copybooks, no? Why would decorative elements be exempt from that? Giovannino de' Grassi, for instance, had his work copied and adapted for decades after he died in 1398 - in cards no less.

Phaeded

Nathaniel wrote: 06 May 2022, 12:55
We also have another piece of evidence which is consistent with the idea that the Imperatori deck had only one emperor, and that is the game created by Fernando de la Torre sometime around 1450 for Mencía Enríquez de Mendoza, Countess of Castañeda in Spain. This game had one trump card, an Emperor, which was a separate card depicting the actual figure, like the trumps of Marziano and tarot. As Ross has observed, it is extremely unlikely that its creator invented the concept of trumps independently, so he probably took it from a game he had experienced while living in Florence in the early 1430s ("El Juego de naypes of Fernando de la Torre: A Fifteenth-Century Spanish Card Game," The Playing-Card 39 no. 1 (2010), p. 33). This is seems too early for tarot, but it is exactly the period when the court of Ferrara was importing Imperatori decks from Florence. So Imperatori could well have been the game that inspired Fernando de la Torre's single Emperor.
https://forum.tarothistory.com/viewtop ... 586#p24586
Ah, I stand corrected! Nice to see.

I was lazy. I see that Mike Howard took notice of it too, in 2016 - viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1086&p=16731&hilit=fernando#p16731

Nathaniel wrote: 06 May 2022, 09:34
I don't think the Rothschild were Imperatori cards.
This is an odd statement, because you just asserted immediately before that we don't know what the Imperatori cards were. So it follows that the Rothshild cards could be Imperatori cards, and you don't seem to provide any reason for concluding that they are not. I am left with the impression that the only reason for your conclusion is that you would personally prefer them not to be...
I'm not convinced by any argumentation I've heard that Rothschild represents what Imperatori cards were.

Your argument appears to be that Imperatori were just like Trionfi, except with only eight of the standard trumps. But if that were so, why did the Este family have two different artists working on the two kinds of decks simultaneously? Sagramoro, then Gherardo da Vicenza and Don Messore, worked exclusively on Trionfi, and Piero Andrea di Bonsignore worked exclusively on Imperatori. Why not just tell Sagramoro to make only eight trumps this time? Or, more simply, just take out the unneeded 14 trumps from a Trionfi pack when they wanted to play Imperatori?

I agree with Ortalli's sense that Imperatori was not a pack of cards with extra trumps at all, but some other kind of cards entirely. I tend to the idea that they were Germanic in some way, maybe like the "hunting" packs, or the Liechenstein pack, with five suits, one of which is imperial, but still a normal suit with an Upper and Lower Jack, and an Emperor instead of a King.

It is difficult to square the continued production of the two sorts of games independently, if Imperatori were only a shortened form of Trionfi.
I wish I could get you excited about the possibility that they are Imperatori! To me, the prospect that the Rothschild cards could be our sole suriviving example of an Imperatori deck is far more thrilling than the possibility that they could be another early example of Florentine tarot, even if they were the earliest such example...
I too would like to be excited, to see some example of Imperatori. My - and Huck's - first thought when we heard of Cristina Fiorini's dating of the set back in 2006 was that maybe Imperatori would be make it consistent with the early dating. But that changed, for me at least, with my subsequent research and thinking about it.

For proto-Tarots in general, one theory I had was that the four Papi were the nucleus of the game, invented whenever, perhaps in the 1420s, and this is what Fernando saw. They were the original trumps, unranked among themselves and used in the same way as in the later Bolognese game. This group persisted, like a fossil, in Trionfi. The rationale for the invention is easy to understand - who is above kings? Popes and emperors. Kings are beholden to one or the other, and one or the other has more power at one or another time and place, like the rounds in a game.

This game still wasn't Imperatori, it would only be a proto-Tarot, subsumed into the later game. Why Fernando put only one emperor in his game might be because he was dedicating this game to one person, and wanted to flatter her. I suspect a similar logic was behind Marziano's reasoning for giving his game of Deification of Sixteen Heroes only one court card, the king, for each suit. He wanted Filippo Maria to think of himself as ruling alone, with no equal partner, such as Beatrice Cane, a very powerful woman. Gasparino Barzizza gave an oration to him in 1412 emphasizing that very quality of self-rulership and autocratic government.

Nathaniel wrote: 06 May 2022, 09:34 But, of course, we both need to try to stop ourselves being swayed by our personal preferences and focus on the evidence instead. You have begun to present evidence for a later dating of the Rothschild cards. To balance that, I can point to the evidence for an earlier dating, in the 1420s:

As summarized by Ada Labriola in "Les tarots peints à Florence au XVe siècle" (p. 117), all the Italian art historians who have examined the Rothschild cards have preferred a date in the 1420s for them: Christina Fiorini, Emanuele Zappasodi, and of course Ada herself. This is a lot to argue against, I think.
The authority and expertise of art historians is a lot to argue against by someone not trained in that discipline, I agree. But I am trained in documentary history, with particular expertise in Tarot history, and I think this side of the story has something to say. So I'm still going to argue against it.

One general point is one you yourself make, which is the conservatism of playing cards, because players need and expect consistency, clarity and simplicity, in cards where the only way to identify them is visually. So, like a cartoonist who draws the same figures for years and decades unchanged, the playing card artists made them rapidly and formulaically. Like the cartoon figures, it is very hard to judge the date of composition from such a figure alone. These subjects are unlike carefully executed pieces. Unless some aspect or detail gives a clear indication of the date of a sketch, it could be almost any time in a definable period of an artist's style.

Thus Tarot history would say that the Rothschild cards are what they appear to be, carte da trionfi. And, because of that, they must date no earlier than a couple of years before 1440. Because they are rapidly executed paintings, coloured sketches, following a formula or model, conservative, they are not as susceptible to precise dating as careful or complex works, especially ones done with a collaborator.

This is why I was happy that Ada Labriola allowed herself to imagine a date a decade later than the standard dating methods for Giovanni dal Ponte suggested. I think it was courageous, and I'll continue to stand up for her dating.

Upthread I gave some examples of border designs from Giovanni's later work which compares well with the borders and gothic tracery on the cards. They are unique, not appearing anywhere else in his work, at least as I know it from Sbaraglio's catalogue. So, since everybody is looking for comparisions in Giovanni's known works, I think these late incidental and decorative details are relevant to bringing the date later.

Here is another response I began writing, arguing similarly.

Until we identified Florence as the home of much of the earliest Trionfi card production, art history was of limited value for Tarot history. Look at how long Ferrara held on as other centre, besides Milan. From Klein in 1967, through the 70s up to Dummett, the 80s with Giuliana Algeri, all through the 1990s and up to the point where Florence broke through, definitively in 2012. The art history expertise alone did not help Klein or Algeri identify them as Florentine, which seems so clear now. It took plain documentary history to wrest the cards from Ferrara.

Now that we are securely in Florence, the floodgates have opened. We are in the vicinity of named artists and ateliers. Bellosi was the first to identify Giovanni dal Ponte's contribution, but he knew nothing of playing card history. He had no idea what a revolution his identification meant, and it was premature in any case because no documentation from Florence was yet known, to put his ideas in context.

This has all changed now, in the last 16 years. But the lesson remains: playing cards, even the luxury ones, are not standard art historical subjects. The Lombard cards like Issy-Warsaw and Bembos' are more like fine miniature paintings than the Florentine productions, and Longhi identified Bembo's hand in them nearly a century ago. This is probably due to the mass market nature of the Florentine cards, in contrast to the princely court tastes. Florentine figures are like cartoons compared to the Lombardy cards. The traditional art historical method of tracing changes of style over a long period in an artist's career, based on carefully executed paintings done over months or years, is somewhat unfitted to the rapid sketches comprising the cards. Art historians know this, of course, and look, in Giovanni dal Ponte's case, to the sketches and most rapidly executed pieces to find analogues. Here, as in the case of Giovanni's "Two Youths," the clothing and comparison with contemporary artists painting similar figures persuaded Bellosi to comfortably date it to 1425-1430. He compared Giovanni's figures to a fresco by Masolino from 1425. But Masolino made another one in 1435, where the figures are very similar. If we didn't know the date from documentation or Masolino's biography, we wouldn't be able to date the frescoes from the figures alone (Bellosi actually also argues for the clothing being the style of 1425-1430; the sketch is lost now, maybe it will turn up one day).

Left, two figures from Masolino, fresco in Cappella Brancacci, Florence, 1425
Right, two figures from Masolino, fresco in the Baptistery of Castiglione Olona, 1435

Luciano Bellosi, the first to identify Giovanni as the painter, characterised the cards as “cursive” (modi corsivi) and “almost impressionistic” (quasi impressionistiche). They are essentially sketches (“abbozzi” - Bellosi). I think that an artist's sketching style doesn't change as much over his career as his highly finished works, often done with a collaborator. Especially when you are focusing on a period as short as ten years when the artist is already mature. So, I would argue, a sketch of 1427 could well be indistinguishable from a sketch of 1437, as long as an internal clue like a very distinctive clothing style doesn't date it precisely. And, on playing cards, much of it is fantasy, and conservative.

The only reason we care so much is because it impacts the dating of the invention of Tarot, or the nature of Imperatori cards. Otherwise “1425-1430” versus “1430-1435” would be laughable to argue about.

So, how can we really distinguish the former from the latter? Or, the six-year period before 1430 (inclusive), from the six-year period (actually eight inclusive, of course) after 1430?

Bellosi gives us a start.