The Tarot View of Life

Judging by the way the three 'virtue' cards were shifted around in the various historical orderings of the trumps, while the other cards remained relatively constant, and by how clear and predictable the allegories seem when they are removed from the picture, I've come to the conclusion that the 'virtue' cards are of secondary importance, overall, to the intended allegory portrayed in the trumps.

The so called 'middle trumps', VI through XIII, are particularly given clarity when the 'virtues' are temporarily set aside.

In all the various historic orderings the Lover and the Chariot are paired, in some orderings the Chariot comes first, the Lover last.

Similarly the Wheel and Time (the hermit) are always paired, in some orderings the Wheel comes first, Time last.

The Traitor (Hanged Man) and Death are also always paired, with the Traitor always being first, obviously.

The basic allegory here is the 'cycle of life'. The image of Fortune's Wheel not only being central in the sequence, but central to the whole intent of the allegory.

Time and Fortune are center, the hub around which life rotates. In some ways we can say Father Time is the turner of the wheel. On the up swing of the Wheel we have Love/Pleasure/Youth (VI) and Fame/Success/Honor (VII) on the down swing of the Wheel is Defamation/Failure/Dishonor (XII) and Death (XIII).

VI and XIII are opposites. Love (betrothal) was traditionally one's 'coming of age', the beginning of one's life as an adult, so the card represents life and life's pleasures in general. The opposite is Death.

VII and XII are opposites. The triumphal parades were a great honor for the citizens of Renaissance Italy. Only successful and well known citizen were aloud the honor of riding in the parade. The XII image is taken from Italian Renaissance 'shame paintings' which were used as a way to dishonor and defame citizens.

Traditionally four figures ride the wheel (in the Tarot de Marseille the fourth is unseen, and unnamed). We can compare these figures to the four cards.

• VI - Regnabo - I Shall Reign.
  • VII - Regno - I Reign.
  • XII - Regnavi - I Reigned for a While.
  • XII - Sum Sine Regno - I Shall Reign Never More

Cheers,

RaH
When a clock is hungry, it goes back four seconds.

Re: The Tarot View of Life

I was just thinking how lately I'm coming to see VI as Venus and VII as Mars. To me, they seem a pretty good pair (not an original idea, I know, but the "charioteer" seems to change a lot over time, and so I can see Virtue, Chastity, Prudence, and yes... Mars).

I've looked at the Hermit for some time as Saturn, so he fits in nicely as well. Seeing him as "Time" makes great sense to me historically, and pairing him with the Wheel makes sense too, as Time is.. as you have eloquently shown in the illustration.. the "turner" of the wheel.

But when I come to the Hanged Man.. damn if I just don't feel that this is one freaking weird card! I chose "le pendu" as my (old) online name because I've felt that solving his inclusion into the tarot would lead to "solving" the tarot... it's a very odd and weird card to include in a "moral" game. After all these years he continues to confuse me with his presence.

I look at the figure at the top of the wheel as some type of ruler. He has the crown and he probably thinks he's "all that"... at least until the wheel spins again... and after all, that IS the message of the allegory.

I think it's interesting that the Tarot de Marseille only has 3 of the characters instead of the four, especially since the Cary Sheet seems to have four, and so many typical representations have four as well (although I know there are exceptions). It seems that a simplification probably occurred, and so I fully support your suggested view, and will have to ponder a bit more all that it suggests.

Hello to you RaH and Robert!
There was a time when I would have agreed with RaH's opening post and said that Tarot was a Cycle of Life. I also once would have said (and did) it was a diagram of Vice and Virtue and a diagram of a Catholic Church.
I have pondered this much, well pondered is a light word- I have worried it like a cat does a mouse. Never quite getting to the Killing mind you. Batting ideas like a poor mouse from this paw to that paw.

I do not think the idea of what images would most likely be chosen for a game, has been explored. Not that that would change what was chosen; but it might give a clearer idea about what is there. I think they are pairs as you suggest, but not quite what their images at first say. They seem to me to be images that talk about the vagaries or chance of life. This seems to be indicated by things that make Prophecies or speak of Chance and Fortune that the common man feels is out of his control- both in the World and in the Universe.
You say RaH X111 and V1 are a pair (in opposition)- How about a pairing of V1 and V11? Venus and Mars/ Concorde and Discord/ Peace and War and the fortunes that both entail. This was out of the hands of the gaming man also.
Cards 1X and X Seasons of Man (age and Time) and Seasons of the World, both of which we can do nothing about.
Cards X11 and X111 Both are traitors to life- and change our fortunes.
I agree with Robert that The Hanged Man is crucial to understanding why the cards were chosen.
I found it very interesting that the men that play Tarrochi call Le Pendu- the Cheater or Baro and someone who shoots their mouth off a Bar'riro and 'meritare infamia' (deserves shame)(this reminded me of the Mafia lol and loyalties to the Signora)
So if you considered the pairs like this you have one card between each pair and these appear to be the Virtues.
These are needed to cope with the vagaries of Life.
Cars 11, V, V111, X1, X1V, XV11, XX are Virtues Charity, Faith, Justice, Strength, Temperance, Hope and Prudence.
It is something like this I think.. maybe...perhaps.
~Lorredan~
The Universe is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper.
Eden Phillpotts

Hi Rosanne,

I meant only cards VI through XIII were a 'cycle of life'.

We must all be switching viewpoints with each other. A couple of years ago I viewed the Love/Chariot relationship as Love/War as well, and still see a slight 'martial' influence as it relates to the fame and honor given the victorious, but as the chariot rider is at times female, and is often depicted as holding orbs or scepters, instead of weapons, I've come to see the martial influence as secondary to a general meaning of 'honor', which has it opposite depicted in the 'shameing' and 'dishonor' of Le Pendu.

I agree with you about the seven virtues, if not intentional, but certainly as implied. If we consider the Pope as the masculine aspects of spirituality, and the Papess as the feminine aspects of spirituality, Faith would fit with the Pope, and Charity with the Papess. There is of course some precedent in this thanks to the Cary-Yale Visconti deck.

Here is a more elegant diagram, for all those diagram lovers out there...

O Fortuna,
Velut Luna
Statu variablilis,
Semper crescis
Aut decrescis...

Cheers,

RaH

I don't know RaH. I can see it that way, yes; but I don't know if I should see it that way.

I'm cool with Time, and Fortune, and Death.

I'm good with Chariot=Fame & Honours, it was sometimes called the "Triumphal Chariot", and we know that these precessions were meant to honour the famous.

But isn't "Youth and Pleasures" really Love? And isn't "Defamation and Dishonour" really Betrayal? It's an interesting, and tempting way to look at the cards, but I'm feeling I have to stretch a bit for those last two cards.

le pendu wrote:
But isn't "Youth and Pleasures" really Love?
Exactly. That's what the artist thought too, and that's why he would represent youth and pleasure as "Love". :D Yes.. I'm twisting your intended meaning all out of shape.

I'm not denying it is an allegory of 'Love", I'm suggesting however, the image may have implied youth and pleasure, etc.., viewing the general thrust of the sequence. The message from VI to XIII seems to be that life's nature is fleeting - love and worldly success taken away by time and fate... and then you die! :twisted:

Albecht Durer sums the whole thing up in a single picture. In his 'Promenade', two lovers stroll through the country side lost in love's intoxicating spell, yet never far behind, Death is lurking. (That's him behind the tree.)

If a 15th century artist wanted to make a single image of 'youth' and 'pleasure' how would he do it? Durer indeed has a drawing called Pleasures of the World. I don't have an image of it, but it looks a lot like the Children of Venus pictures - a bunch of couples, some with children, out in an idealic garden, with a few musicians and game players thrown in. I think 'Love' would have been almost synonymous with the idea of youthful pleasure. And as a foil to Death, Love's purpose of course is to make more life. :lol:

Cheers,

RaH

Here is an example from a Danish Dance of Death book, Døde-Dands which was printed in Copenhagen in 1762. It shows the Lovers.

In the verse, Death address the couple. Notice how the verse makes casual association between the Lovers, and "merriment and games".

When the fire of affection burns by the lovers,
they very rarely know what is good for themselves,
and they think least of all of Death and eternity;
because other thoughts are taking place in their minds.
But did one not often see that also the wedding day
has made a sorrowful end to all happiness,
[and] that those who walked around full of love,
never got each other because of the power of Death.
You fiery lovers can hardly sense anything because of love;
but know this: you shall dance with me from the world.
You will no longer have a part in merriment and games.
Another note I shall play for you.

Later in the Døde-Dands is quoted Psalm 90, verse 12.

LORD! So teach us to number our days,
that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom.

I think this is very much the idea being expressed in the tarot 'middle trumps' as well.

Cheerio and 'pip, pip',

R

EUGIM wrote:1-Anyone is moving the crank so that is for me a clue for the X card LA ROVE DE FORTVNE.
2-So the figures at it moves the wheel really.
Are you saying that because no 'turner of the wheel' is shown on the card, that it means the figures themselves are turning the wheel? That would be completely opposite of the general meaning the allegory of Fortune had historically. The whole point of the image was fatalistic - that men are at the whim of Fate and Death, and that the pursuit of pleasure and honors is but vanity, because they are impermanent, and we should focus on the 'higher' matters, which are of course nicely illustrated on cards XV through XXI. The creator of this little moral tale was also nice enough to show us the means in which to do so, Justice, Fortitude, and Temperance - be fair, be brave, and easy on the dessert wine and cream puffs! ;)