Re: Visconti-Poggio correspondence 1438

Phaeded wrote: 30 Jun 2023, 20:39
I own the Blanchard translation of On Exile (what I quoted from above), what I can't find is the Oration, and no one is even giving the Latin title. I'll dig through my Rudolf Georg Adam thesis tonight (Francesco Filelfo at the court of Milan)
Ah, thanks.

I was wondering. Blanchard's notes left me confused.

Would be nice if it is in manuscript at the BNF or another generous institution.

Some pertinent info from a harsh review of Field's work (same guy who proposed Bruni was actually waffling in his allegiance to the Medici)

Hester Schadee on Arthur Field. The Intellectual Struggle for Florence: Humanists and the Beginnings of the Medici Regime, 1420-1440. London: Oxford University Press, 2017. 400 pp. $130.00 (cloth), ISBN 978-0-19-879108-9.
https://networks.h-net.org/node/7651/re ... beginnings
The third part of the book must then establish that the “Medicean” humanists in fact had an ideology. But Niccoli famously wrote nothing, Marsuppini very little, and Traversari authored exclusively translations, so that the burden of formulating one falls squarely on Poggio. (Also in consequence, the chapter on Niccoli contains a lot of material already discussed regarding Bruni and Filelfo, and later repeated for Poggio.) Field postulates three domains where Poggio provided intellectual foundations for the Medici regime: the definition of nobility, the role of money in society, and political legitimation (p. 295). The former point is made primarily by reference to Poggio’s dialogue On Nobility, in which Niccoli, debating Lorenzo de’ Medici (Cosimo’s younger brother), shows it to be a social construct. Marsuppini’s poem on the same theme, dedicated to Poggio, lends support, although it is less clear what Poggio’s dialogue Whether an Old Man Should Marry and his Facetiae, entertaining though they are, contribute to this topic (pp. 303-7). The question of money is addressed by means of Poggio’s first publication, a dialogue, On Avarice (completed in 1428, but existing in an earlier version also), the only work in which he touches on the matter. This enterprise is complicated by the fact that, as Field knows, the Medici “had only just begun to coalesce as a party” by that date (p. 309). The text is also difficult to interpret, since it is unclear whose viewpoint is presented as correct (if indeed there is one simple answer: John Oppel, whose article on the work Field strangely does not cite, argued for a combination of those of the main and of the last speaker).[10] Field settles on the final contributor as expressing Poggio’s own opinion, namely that wealth is useful for society as long as princes and prelates do not succumb to immoderate desires. This he calls the “embryonic” Medici party line (p. 315). The third issue, that of political legitimacy, is addressed only in the book’s last three pages drawing on the Caesar-Scipio Controversy, in which Poggio contrasts the virtuous Scipio with the fractious Caesar. Field takes up John Oppel’s argument (from another article, cited not here but in the previous chapter, p. 273) that Poggio’s Scipio stood for Cosimo, and his Caesar for Albizzi (or perhaps for the Milanese duke Filippo Maria Visconti, as argued by Claudio Finzi, uncited).[11] My edition of this text, forthcoming in The I Tatti Renaissance Library, contains an argument against these identifications which I will not repeat here. I note, however, that Poggio’s consistent association of the popularis Caesar with the lowest dregs of Roman society and those who desire revolution sits extremely uncomfortably with Field’s portraits of the aristocratic Albizzi and popular Cosimo de’ Medici.[12]

“How, then, could Filelfo argue in the 1430s that ‘without Poggio Cosimo was feeble, maimed, and weak’?,” Field asks in conclusion (p. 317, also p. 229).[13] This citation from Filelfo’s unedited Oratio ad exules optimates, advanced by Field as evidence for Poggio’s crucial role as Medici ideologue, in fact pertains to a rather different argument. Inveighing against the beastly immoralities of Poggio, Filelfo asserts that the humanist had proffered himself as guide (“dux”) to Cosimo on this path of vice; in that sense, Poggio and his patron had something to give to each other.

So that must be our 1437 Latin title: Oratio ad exules optimates

Actually, here it is in full:
Oratio in Cosmum Medicem ad exules optimates Florentinos
Opera secondaria
Riferimenti CALMA (2011) vol. III 5 p. 518

Milano, Biblioteca Ambrosiana, V 10 sup., 1r-58r
http://sip.mirabileweb.it/title/oratio- ... tle/121519

Phaeded wrote: 30 Jun 2023, 20:53
Opera secondaria

We posted at the same time.

Here is the Ambrosiana reference, but it's not online -

https://ambrosiana.comperio.it/opac/det ... log:102476

Ross Caldwell wrote: 30 Jun 2023, 21:00
Phaeded wrote: 30 Jun 2023, 20:53
Opera secondaria

We posted at the same time.

Here is the Ambrosiana reference, but it's not online -

https://ambrosiana.comperio.it/opac/det ... log:102476
How has some doctoral student not cut their teeth on that text? Falls in such a critical time period between the 1434 exile and the 1440 final defeat of the exiles. Damn it....

Phaeded wrote: 30 Jun 2023, 21:05
How has some doctoral student not cut their teeth on that text? Falls in such a critical time period between the 1434 exile and the 1440 final defeat of the exiles. Damn it....
There are too many such unedited texts. Maybe we can do it. Blanchard says that Field has identified two more copies, so we just have to see if we can find Field's references. Boschetto has commented on Field's dating, so there is yet more.

I haven't looked them up yet.

It turns out that I have the Boschetto book Blanchard references.

Luca Boschetto, Leon Battista Alberti e Firenze. He quotes a passage from the Ambrosiana ms.
È difficile dar credito alla testimonianza poco più tarda di Francesco Filelfo, che nella orazione “in Cosmum Medicem ad exules optimates florentinos”, stesa prima del novembre 1437, includeva tutto il casato degli Alberti nelle file dell'oligarchia avversa ai Medici. Tra gli Alberti e quell' 'usario' di Cosimo, osservava Filelfo, era impensabile qualunque amicizia, sopratutto ora che per via degli inganni di quest'ultimo “i membri più illustri di quella famiglia erano andati incontro a gravissime perdite ed erano stati marchiati dalla nota infamante del fallimento.” (note)

Note:
Milano, Biblioteca Ambrosiana, ms. V 10 sup., c. 4r-v: “Audistis de Albertis autem viris certe et preclaris, et cum facultatibus et copiis, tum clientis amiciciisque pollentibus; amicitiam nec esse fuisse unquam, quinimo ad id maxime, omni calumnia ac fraude niti Cosmo, ut qui eius familie primarii sunt decoctionis ignominia ac nota maximo cum dispendio iacturaque inurantur.”
"It is difficult to give credit to the slightly later testimony of Francesco Filelfo, who in the oration 'in Cosmum Medicem ad exules optimates florentinos,' written before November 1437, included the entire Alberti family among the ranks of the oligarchy opposing the Medici. According to Filelfo, any friendship between the Alberti family and that 'usurer' Cosimo was unthinkable, especially now that, due to the deceit of the latter, 'the most illustrious members of that family had suffered severe losses and were marked with the infamous label of bankruptcy.'"

"[Ambrosiana ms. V 10 sup.: "You have heard about the Alberti men, certainly distinguished and illustrious both in resources and wealth, as well as in the power of their clients and friendships. However, their friendship has never existed, indeed, it relies heavily on all kinds of slander and deceit, especially on the part of Cosimo, who, as the leading member of his family, stains their reputation and honor with great expense and loss."

Ross Caldwell wrote: 30 Jun 2023, 21:10 There's Field -
https://www.jstor.org/stable/2901962

Ah, not available to me as a plebian subscriber.

For anyone who CAN access the JSTOR article, the new manuscripts are referenced on pages 1121 note 47, and 1136 note 95.
It says "subscribe" but just click on it and it opens. I refer to this article in my Dante/Literary Source post, but Field's thesis is very controversial. I think Bruni merely sat on the fence as long as he could, but his friendship with Filelfo was always damning, especially when the latter wouldn't stop writing invectives against the Medici.

Siena as a potential ally in these imagined alliances against Florence is no doubt the work of Filelfo while there (however unsupported by the elites there - but plenty of animosity against Florence, so at least credible). He seems to have imagined Siena (and smaller polities like Lucca) joining the Florentine Albizzi exiles and Milan in an otherthrow of the Medici. I suppose it wasn't that fantastic - Anghiari did happen with the Albizzi participating (and then getting painted impiccati by Castagno afterwards on the Bargallo).

Back to the 1437 peace offering letter to Poggio (Filelfo's primary invective target, moreso than Cosimo), Visconti must have wanted to tap the brakes on all of this while he took care of Brescia, Verona and Ravenna first, to push Venice back into being just a maritime power. That was the smart thing to do - Milan was always more vulnerable via the Po and the Alpine lakes (especially via nearby Bergamo), so taking care of Venice first made sense. Visconti only sent Piccinino towards Florence after Sforza reversed their advances into Brescia and Verona, and with Filelfo's imagined Tuscan alliance plus exiles, well, that must have seemed a much more feasible feat. Certainly Visconti didn't want a "two front war", not with Sforza on the other side.

Finally, note that Filelfo Satire 5.1, calling for a Milanese strike against Florence (in the mouth of Albizzi?), must date from 1438 or 1439 (Book 5 is the midway point that was completed by 1439), which again would be a major concern for Medici (and his Papal guest).

The other two copies of the oration are in Seville and Bergamo.

Phaeded wrote: 30 Jun 2023, 22:41
The other two copies of the oration are in Seville and Bergamo.
Unfortunately neither is online.

Bergamo MA 286 -
https://manus.iccu.sbn.it/risultati-ric ... 75&page=24#

Seville 7-1-7 (first result)
https://opac.icolombina.es/opac/abnetcl ... a22d45/NT1
Here is the direct link to the catalogue page, but it times out fairly quickly:
https://opac.icolombina.es/opac/abnetcl ... a22d45/NT2