The journey of the World card through time

Hello Tarot history lovers,
I'm excited to announce my article about the development over time of the World card. It is the last card in my series about the development of the individual trump cards. You will discover in this article how the card changed over time and how the different symbols in the World card were depicted in Medieval and Renaissance art. You can find the article here: https://tarotwheel.net/history/the%20in ... mondo.html
As usual, I'm open to all remarks, be it positive or negative. You can join me directly on my email address here below.
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all of you.
Iolon
iolon@tarotwheel.net

Re: The journey of the World card through time

Hello Huck,
The Tarot Siciliano is a branch of the Tarot that developed relatively late in the 18th Century. It was based on the Tarocchino and Minchiate decks. In my article, I tried to give a broad overview of the development of the World card, so impossible to show everything. Card 19 of the Tarot Siciliano is based on the Tarocchino Mitelli that I have mentioned as a non-standard Tarocchino deck. Further, the Tarot Siciliano has two cards related to the World card, on card 20 we see Zeus (Jupiter) with an eagle next to him. We could relate this card with both to the World (representing eternity) or to the Judgement (representing the final judgement). So, if showing card 19 of the Tarot Siciliano, I should also discuss card 20. While the Tarot Siciliano did not have any significant influence on the development of the Tarot elsewhere, I decided not to show these two cards.
. Sorry for the omission

No problem.
I remember dark, that the Tarocco Siciliano developed in the 1660s through an invention of a viceroy (a report should be somewhere here) ....
viewtopic.php?p=8375#p8375
.... and Franco Pratesi had an article, which reported a production of Tarot cards in Sicily in the 1630s.
http://trionfi.com/kalos-tarocco-siciliano

But I don't know, if there is a version of 17th century somewhere.
Huck
http://trionfi.com

Very nice presentation, Iolon, with the illustrations big enough to see all the details. The only fact I would dispute is that the Visconti-Sforza World card is from 1452-1454. It is one of the six cards in a later style. One other thing is that for Case the colors were extremely important. His books have them uncolored because they were so important that he wanted the reader to do the coloring, to stay in the mind. But for presentation purposes I think colored versions are more representative.

Hello MikeH. Thanks for attraction my attention on the fact that I did not give all needed information for the Visconti-Sforza card. I corrected the page. Concerning the B.O.T.A. card, colors are effectively important. However, I could not find a version with colors that pleased me, so I preferred using the original uncolored version.