Re: dummett and tarrocchi appropriati

Here is Bertoni, 1905 (https://www.yumpu.com/it/document/view/ ... iber-liber), p. 269:
Un altro gioco, quello dei tarocchi, die la chiave de quei note cinque capitoli del Boairdo che potevano parere singulare o stranamente costrutti prima delle fortunate congetture delle Renier (252). La compozione simbolica del poeta sciandianese, per essere ingengnosamente architectata e adorna di bei fiori poetici, riporta senza dubbio la palme tra gli altri tentative di "appropriare", come allora dicevasi, una particulare versificazione alle figure dei tarocchi.

(Another game, that of the tarocchi, is the key to those five well-known chapters of Boairdo which might have seemed singular or strangely constructed before the fortunate conjectures of Renier (252). The symbolic composition of the Sciandianese poet, being ingeniously designed and adorned with beautiful poetic flowers, undoubtedly brings back the palm among other attempts to "appropriate", as was then said, a particular versification to the figures of the tarocchi).
Then on p. 272, introducing the composition (the numbers in parentheses are footnotes; most are simply to sources; but in 259 he says he sees no reason to attribute the verses to Susio, since they are part of a miscellany, and he also mentions one of the poems about cardinals in conclave, saying of it "in progresso di tempo si usarano anche i tarocchi a scopo di satira" - in the course of time the tarocchi are also used for the purpose of satire" - but without specifically including it among the "tarocchi appropriati"):
Il servisi del guoco dei tarocchi per fare allusione a questa o quella dama doveva essere nella poesia del Rinascamento cosa, se non molto diffusa, per lo meno abbastanza comune. Son noti i versi di Giambattista Susio intitolati Motti alle Signore di Pavia sotto il titolo dei Tarocchi, pubblicato primo per Ranier (258), quindi da Toldo e Moiraghi, aggiungiamo ora seguenti anonimi dedicati alle donne ferrarese:

(The use of the game of tarocchi to allude to this or that lady must have been something, if not very widespread, at least quite common in Renaissance poetry. The verses by Giambattista Susio entitled Mottos to the Ladies of Pavia under the title of Tarocchi , first published by Ranier [258], then by Toldo and Moiraghi [259], are well known; we now add the following anonymous ones dedicated to the Ferrarese women:)
The "trionphi dei tarocchi appropriati" follows.

and, p. 280:
A questi donne succedono in Ferrara quelle, che troviamo esaltate nei nostre "tarocchi appropriati" e ricordate interno Isabella d'Ippolite d'Este in un nuovo capitolo, che giudichiamo opportuno di riferere qui in parte (268).

(To these women succeed in Ferrara those whom we find exalted in our "tarocchi appropriati" and remembered around Isabella by Ippolite d'Este in a new chapter, which we consider opportune to refer here in part (268).)
It is a poem referring to a series of women, but not matching them to the tarocchi subjects.

It is not totally clear to me what Bertoni includes in "tarocchi appropriati" - always put in quotes - since the phrase "the use of the game of tarocchi to allude to this or that lady" - could apply not only to compositions that do so one by one but a whole poem dedicated to one person. But does he mean to include such poems into the rubric of "tarocchi appropriati"? It is unclear, since in that place he doesn't use the phrase. However I have found no poem of these years (1500-1900) explicitly called a "tarocchi appropriati".

About Dummett's definition of tarocchi appropriati: In his Il Mondo e l'angelo, 1993, after listing 16 literary literary sources that he says he has already discussed, he adds, p. 412:
A questi possiamo aggiungere tre composizioni bolognesi di ‘tarocchi appropriati’: T trionfi de Tarocchini Appropriati ciascheduno ad una Dama Bolognese’ del 1668; ‘fi giuoco de Tarocchini sopra Michele Tékeli Ribello’ dell’ultimo decennio del XVH secolo; e i ‘Thrionfi de Tarocchi e motivi latini appropriati a ciascuno dei canonici di S. Pietro’ di una data posteriore al 1725.

(To these we can add three Bolognese 'tarot appropriati' compositions:; 'Triumphs de Tarocchini Appropriated each one to aa Bolognese lady' of 1668; 'The game of Tarocchini over Michael Tekeli Rebel' of the last decade of the 17th century; and 'Triumphs of Tarocchi and Latin motifs appropriated to each of the canons of St. Peter' of a later date than 1725s.)
The problem is that the one about Michele Tekeli does not "appropriate", i.e. fit, triumphs one by one to different individuals. It commandeers them all to describe one individual. But at least it is a person and not an inanimate object or abstraction.

mikeh wrote: 16 Apr 2021, 22:07 The problem is that the one about Michele Tekeli does not "appropriate", i.e. fit, triumphs one by one to different individuals. It commandeers them all to describe one individual. But at least it is a person and not an inanimate object or abstraction.
Yes, it's interesting that even Dummett felt inclined to broaden his earlier definition to include a slightly wider range of works. Well spotted.