Re: Heraldic Hose

SteveM wrote: So then word Tarocch would have arisen from a form of appropriati - in which persons connected with the french occupation of Milan are identifed with the trumps... in particular Ludovic the tree il moro with il matto (=tarocch as tree and blockhead) c. 1499 - 1505?
In Ludovic's lament in Gringore's lettres nouvelle de Milan, I think he is made to say something along the lines of "I am not of the king's noble lineage, I am from the line of madness (folie) and unwise courage (imprudent couraige) -- but I have difficulty with the script, which someone more familiar with French would better comprehend:

http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b7 ... ore.langFR

In Ludovic's lament in Gringore's lettres nouvelle de Milan, I think he is made to say something along the lines of "I am not of the king's noble lineage, I am from the line of madness (folie) and unwise courage (imprudent couraige) -- but I have difficulty with the script, which someone more familiar with French would better comprehend:

http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b7 ... ore.langFR
Looks like an excellent source, nice finding. But rather difficult to read.
Gringore (spr. gränggor, auch Gringoire), Pierre, franz. Dichter, geb. 1475 zu Caen, durchstreifte Europa, besonders Italien, ließ sich ca. 1502 in Paris nieder und trat der Gesellschaft der Enfants-sans-soucy bei, einer Art Karnevalsgesellschaft, die zur Darstellung von Possen (sotties) privilegiert war, und in welcher G. nächst dem Narrenkönig die Hauptperson (mère-sotte) darstellte und die Funktionen eines Regisseurs und Theaterdichters versah. Als solcher dichtete er nach und nach eine Menge teils allegorischer, teils politischer Possenspiele, die ungeheuern Beifall fanden, z. B. "Les folles entreprises", "Les abuz du monde" etc., und die Gedichte: "L'entreprise des Vénitiens", "La chasse du cerf des cerfs" (Anspielung auf den Papst, der sich servus servorum nannte), voll beißenden Spottes auf die vornehmsten Personen, vorzüglich auf die Feinde Ludwigs XII. Die interessanteste und wichtigste aller seiner Possen ist aber die zur Fastnacht 1511 in den Hallen von Paris (der Bühne der Enfants-sans-soucy) aufgeführte Sottie "Jeu et sothie du Prince des Sotz", die gegen den Papst Julius II. gerichtet war, und an der Ludwig XII. mitgearbeitet haben soll. An demselben Tag gab er die "Moralité de l'Homme obstiné" (der Papst) und die zotige "Farce de dire et de faire". Hier zeigten sich seine lebhafte, witzige Natur, sein trockner Humor und seine Formgewandtheit aufs glänzendste. Nach Ludwigs Tod zog G. nach Lothringen, dichtete nur noch für kirchliche Zwecke und starb 1547 als Waffenherold des Herzogs von Lothringen. G. ist die Hauptfigur in einem Lustspiel Banvilles (1866). Seine Werke wurden von Héricault und Montaiglon (Par. 1858 ff., 4 Bde.) herausgegeben. Vgl. Picot, Pierre G. et les comédiens italiens sous François I (Par. 1878).

http://www.retrobibliothek.de/retrobib/ ... ?id=107236

He made fun PRO French king Louis XII. Louis had also fun with Farsa Satyra Morale and carnival. The German text notes a relation between Gringore and carnival. A mockery poet.
"Jeu et sothie du Prince des Sotz" was directed against Pope Julius II, and it's said, that possibly Louis XII cooperated in the fabrication of the text. It's called the poet's most important work. Maybe this text would be also interesting, the title contains the word "jeu".
Huck
http://trionfi.com

Thanks for the suggestions, Lorredan and SteveM.

Lorredan wrote
I was very fortunate to see a 15th century clothing exhibition in Milan. I also learned that the Calze of red and white were the Ghibillene colours, and also the the colours of the crest of Pavia and Cremona; which was a Ghibillene stronghold. The Ghibillhenes who fled Milan were restored to their positions when Francesco Sforza became Duke.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pavia
Guelphs for the Pope and Ghibillenes for the Emperor (especially Frederick)
~Lorredan
Red and white were also the Guelph colors. In Lombardy, Ghibelline Pavia had a white cross on a red backgound, while Guelph Milan had a red cross on a white background (see pictures at end of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guelphs_and_Ghibellines). In Florence, it was the same with a lily.

The association with Pavia is promising, however, as the Sforza had a tradition in which the eldest son had the title of Count of Pavia, as you can verify with a Google search of "Count of Pavia"--Galeazzo Maria had that title, and then his son Gian Galeazzo. Before that, it was the Duke of Milan who was Count of Pavia, starting with Gian Galeazzo, as far as I can tell from Google. so Galeazzo Maria's hose may well relate to the title of Count of Pavia, even though the color might not be quite right (Pavia's color isn't dark red).

Steve: on Google I cannot find any identification of the mulberry tree with the dukes of Milan before Ludovico, and with the Duchy of Milan before the "late 15th century". [Added next day:] But now I see from your post in the "Woodblocks" thread that Filippo was the one who got the industry going, starting in 1442, a policy expanded by Francesco and Galeazzo Maria and continued by Ludovico. So it is possible.

[Please ignore what I wrote initially, i.e.: "I also find "after 1450", which might include Galeazzo Maria but not Filippo, who died in 1447. And I can't imagine that if the calze colors were Galeazzo Maria's property, they would also have been worn by Ludovico, at least while Galeazzo Maria was alive and probably also Gian Galeazzo."]

If the hose on the CY Lover card is an ordinary red (with the other leg white), it may indicate Pavia, and hence any of Filippo Visconti, Francesco Sforza (if the card was made before the title of Count of Pavia was given to Galeazzo Maria), or Galeazzo Maria Sforza. If so, the hose heraldic is not very helpful in identifying who is on the card. {Added next day:} The same would be true if the red hose is mulberry-red.

Then the puzzle is, who is the man on the PMB Love card, who has two red hose? Maybe that was Francesco, taking the red of Milan and ignoring the white background and its Guelph history. Or maybe hose color wasn't important at that particular moment.

Red and white were also the Guelph colors. In Lombardy, Ghibelline Pavia had a white cross on a red backgound, while Guelph Milan had a red cross on a white background (see pictures at end of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guelphs_and_Ghibellines). In Florence, it was the same with a lily.
I should have made myself clear- usually the Guelphs had red and white on each leg (half and half) and french had stripes of red/green/ one leg- I think brown the other.
Then the puzzle is, who is the man on the PMB Love card, who has two red hose? Maybe that was Francesco, taking the red of Milan and ignoring the white background and its Guelph history. Or maybe hose color wasn't important at that particular moment.
I believe it to be Sforza on the PMB and Visconti and Maria Savoy on the Cary Yale- but then I am biased on this point. Most of the feudal titles for Visconti lands were in Maria of Savoy's name-Not that I believe it is Visconti's deck. :D
~Lorredan
The Universe is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper.
Eden Phillpotts