Re: Tractatus de deficatione sexdecim heroum, text and translation

Ross G. R. Caldwell wrote:
20 Aug 2019, 08:32
Phaeded wrote:
20 Aug 2019, 05:45
All quotes from the accessible (and the first two important books are largely scanned by Google) translation by William Harris Stahl, E. L. Burge, Richard Johnson, Martianus Capella and the Seven Liberal Arts: The Marriage of Philology and Mercury, 1977.
Not accessible by my Google, unfortunately. EU or French restrictions often differ from what other countries, particularly the US, can view. Actually I can't see a single page of it - not even snippet view.
If his translation and notes for sections 41-61 are available, can you post images of those? I'd like to see at least what commentary he offers on the list, where he differs from Weinstock's interpretations, etc.
Here ya go:
M. Capella, Book II.41-61.pdf
(607.67 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
I'll email to you as well in case you can't open the pdf here.

Re: Tractatus de deficatione sexdecim heroum, text and translation

I've been rereading Ross's book - a suggestion of a footnote for the translation of Marziano's "Apollo" section....

Perhaps Marziano didn't have a translation of Strabo's Geography available, but whatever the reason, he has conflated two places associated with Apollo, both place names beginning with the same spelling - Delos and Delphi:
To him was built in the first place, in the island of Delphi [Delpho] in the Aegean sea, a marvelous temple, from which the response of secrets used to be given by his oracle, very often still wrapped in obscurity (p 44-45).

Clearly the above is talking about the Sibylline/Pythia oracle at Delphi on mainland Greece, sitting on the slopes of Mount Parnassus, yet he has errantly included the Aegean island detail that pertains to Delos, confusingly also a major Apollo cult center (some archaeologists speculate Delphi was founded by priests from Delos, but that is besides the point: Delphi is not an island).

I'd simply add a brief note about Marziano's wayward conflation for the forthcoming scholarly work.

Also in Jove I'd translate the term re publica (p. 28) into the more neutral term "state" instead of "republic", for clearly Marziano does not mean Republican Rome, yet republic can unnecessarily be misleading in that regard. And given the Florence-Milan rivalry (and parallel Scipio-Caesar debate), "republic" would be the unlikeliest meaning in Ducal Milan (i.e., that Jupiter created/preferred republics). For the nuances of that Latin term, see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Res_publica
Context is everything here: Jupiter as a law-giver preceding or perhaps coequal to the earliest Roman king period, which was followed by the Republican period, and lastly by the Imperial period.