Re: tarology updates and a few reminders...

marco wrote:Hello Enrique,
today I have found a site (http://www.bibliotecaitaliana.it) where there are a few interesting texts mentioning tarot (including a couple of beautiful letters by Pietro Aretino).
I was particularly amused by a Comedy by Giordano Bruno were Tarot is mentioned. I have attempted a translation on Tarotpedia. This made me think of our conversation about Tarot and Inns :)
Thanks for the link Marco, and your translation. In his second letter, does Aretino say something about leaving out the evil tower card as he cannot stand to see anyone get the card in their hand? (DLXXII below). Or am I completely misreading it? (erm... this probably should be in another thread)...

Lettere sull'arte

Pietro Aretino
CXVIII

AL PADOVAN, CARTARO

Sì come il piacevole, il grato e l'arguto messer Alessandro dipintore, vostro fratello e mio amicissimo, mi diede i primi tarocchi , così insieme con le due paia di carte mi ha dati i secondi; onde, a voler laudare la diligenza de la bella manifattura di sì fatti lavori, non bastarebbono le lingue di mille primieranti. In somma cotali opre sono di mano del Padovano, che in suo genere tanto è a dire quanto di Michelagnolo ne le cose che egli scolpisce o dipinge. Tal che io, in fino a qui gloriatomi del non saper giocare, mosso da la lor vaghezza, mi dolgo di non esser giocatore; imperoché i disegni de le figure, con l'altre circunstanzie. tocche d'ariento e d'oro, mettono più desiderio di rimescolarle a chi ci dà una occhiata, che un vaso d'acqua fresca non pon volontà di bere ne lo amalato che il guarda. Ma, per non simigliarmi al can de l'ortolano, mi ho lasciato tòrre le carte uniche e i tarocchi divini ad alcune ninfe non meno cortesi che galanti, e così elleno in mio scambio si dilettaranno con esse in questi caldi eccessivi. Intanto io andrò pensando di ricompensare gentilezza con gentilezza, restando sempre al piacere di voi, che avete più tosto animo di re che di cartaro. Testimone de la splendidezza del viver vostro, la generosità del quale consumarebbe l'oro del Perù non che i seicento scudi e gli ottocento che, con la grazia di tutta Fiorenza, ritraete l'anno da la vostra industria; le cui avertenze, essendo senza pari, si debbono stimare più che le leggi di molti dottori mediocri. Ora state sano, e amatemi.

Di Vinezia, il 7 di luglio 1541.

DLXXII

AL PADOVANO

Quante laude meriterebbe che se gli desse la sorte, se gli impacci che avete voi, reale uomo, tempestassero l'animo di qualche plebeo principe, e i commodi che felicitano lui consolassero il cuore vostro che 'l merita. Questo dico, sì come parmi d'aver detto altre volte in proposito de la liberalissima di voi natura, la quale vi fa splendido in modo che, pur che ve ne mova un cenno, più che non vi resta donate. Il che si confà tanto con la complessione ch'io tengo, che bisogna che vi ami come amo me stesso. Il che faccio con lo affetto di tutto quel contento, che sempre veggo in voi, in qualunque cosa vi richiesi mai ottenendola. Onde l'ultima cortesia dei tarocchi mandatimi si può connumerare per dono prima ottenuto che chiesto. Certo che l'opra loro è artificiosa e bella molto: il che mi è suto caro per sodisfazione de lo imbasciador d'Urbino, a cui ne ho fatto un presente, a ciò trapassi il tempo essercitandogli adesso che il male, che ce lo voleva tòrre, l'ha lasciato. Che in quanto a me, non ch'io giuochi, non posso stare a vedere niuno che tenga in mano le carte. Ora io non vi ringrazio di tali, perché sto aspettando che mi venga occasione di compiacervi in altro che in parole tessute con tersi detti in l'inchiostro.
Di agosto, in Vinezia, 1550.

marco wrote:Hello Enrique,
today I have found a site (http://www.bibliotecaitaliana.it) where there are a few interesting texts mentioning tarot (including a couple of beautiful letters by Pietro Aretino).
I was particularly amused by a Comedy by Giordano Bruno were Tarot is mentioned. I have attempted a translation on Tarotpedia. This made me think of our conversation about Tarot and Inns :)
Hi Marco,

That is great, thanks. Even in print it feels like theater.

Picking from our conversations, I fancy the notion of the tarot as a “sermon for the inns”. :-)

Can someone tell me why does the game of tarot required so much memorizing?

Many Thanks!

EE

P.S: Marco, I have one suggestion about your translation: where it says “ “I am afraid that they are signed...” it would be more specific to say “...they are marked...”, as I imagine he is talking about cards marked to give its owner an advantage in the game.
What’s honeymoon salad? Lettuce alone
Don’t look now, mayonnaise is dressing!

Hello Steve, the passage "Certo che l'opra loro è artificiosa e bella molto: il che mi è suto caro per sodisfazione de lo imbasciador d'Urbino, a cui ne ho fatto un presente, a ciò trapassi il tempo essercitandogli adesso che il male, che ce lo voleva tòrre, l'ha lasciato." means:

"Surely the making of those [cards] is beautiful and full of skill: this has been dear to me, because it satisfied the ambassador of Urbino, to whom I gave [the cards] as a present, so that he can spend his time in this exercise [i.e. tarot] now that the illness, that wanted to take him away from us, has left him".

In this case "torre" stands for "togliere" (to take away).
EnriqueEnriquez wrote:That is great, thanks. Even in print it feels like theater.
Hello Enrique,
Bruno was a genius. I am sorry he was too proud to avoid being burned. As Pen recently observed, those were dangerous times.
EnriqueEnriquez wrote:Can someone tell me why does the game of tarot required so much memorizing?
From the little I know of the game, players must "follow suit", i.e. reply in the same suit as the first card played in each hand. So one should remember all the cards that have been played. In this way, you know how likely it is that someone will play a card in the same suit that, being higher than yours, wins the trick.
Here you can find a set of complete rules: http://www.pagat.com/tarot/frtarot.html

There is a passage in Lollio's invective (v. 175 etc) that briefly mentions this aspect. See tarotpedia.
EnriqueEnriquez wrote: P.S: Marco, I have one suggestion about your translation: where it says “ “I am afraid that they are signed...” it would be more specific to say “...they are marked...”, as I imagine he is talking about cards marked to give its owner an advantage in the game.
Thank you Enrique! You are right of course :) I fixed the translation.

Marco

Dear all,

tongue exercise:

ROY DE DENIES : SODDEN EYRIE = SEEDED IRONY

NOTE: search for meaning the same way you fish:
standing on 42nd street
and 7th avenue
arms outstretched, palms up
until a trout slaps you

(search for meaning the same way, you fish!)

tarology forecast: king of coins + two of cups

severe poisoning by powdered diamonds poured in your pinot noir warning

tarology update:

a conversation with roni shachnaeyhttp://tarology.wordpress.com/2010/06/1 ... shachnaey/

All my Best,

EE

I found it interesting that he had been hired to do readings at the Mitsubishi car dealership. It is my impression that this sort of thing would not happen in North America because of the perception of tarot as evil or Satanic--particularly at a car dealership where you might get people boycotting that particular brand of car because a tarot reader had been seen at a dealership.

It's a striking difference between European or British sensibility and what it's like over here.

Enrique, I didn't realize that you worked with names in such a manner. Admittedly, my head is under a rock of avoidance most days, but I found it fascinating.

Roni's description of how his mind enters the "Twilight Zone" reminds me very much of the artistic experience of the right side of the brain, or finding "flow" as it is sometimes spoken of. I felt it would be similar.

cadla wrote:Enrique, I didn't realize that you worked with names in such a manner. Admittedly, my head is under a rock of avoidance most days, but I found it fascinating.
It all started as a weird mix of me looking into the language of the birds, and getting acquainted with the English language. Specially through poetry. Even when I use ti make most of my living as a writer -in Spanish- language was invisible to me. I was too close to it. But facing a foreign language one starts seeing words as objects. Then, letters become objects too, or shapes, or weird noises.

Rocks are good places to start... :-?

Best,

EE

tongue exercise:

everything bagel toasted with creme cheese
(that's what we thought our lives would be)

things that make good pillows:

you

creme brûlée

a puddle of blood makes a good pillow

A dove*

the letter C

* Thanks to Milorad Pavic

tarology forecast: royne de bastons (snooty needs bra)

chance of fetish:
lusting an apple bitten
by a chick
a kiss would be
to place your teeth right
where her mouth
was

tarology update:

a conversation with Major Tom Schick

http://tarology.wordpress.com/2010/06/2 ... om-schick/