Pips order.

* Mr Dummett in his book " A wicked pack of cards " ( page 37),mentioned :

" In the suits of Swords and Batons,the original ranking of the cards was (in descending order ) : King,Queen,Knight and Jack,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,Ace.
While i the other two suits of Cups and Coins,it was King,Queen,Knight and Jack.Ace,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10.

- But he advised that later the players "dropped it as a mere nuisance ".
So they used the ranking for all the four suits.
Last edited by EUGIM on 03 Jun 2009, 01:02, edited 1 time in total.
The Universe is like a Mamushka.

Re: Pips order.

Hello R.

- I will scan the whole page tomorrow if Ross is not on line now.
Just because this earliest order was common in Italy as in Spain.

( I have only 15 pages of this book so dont "blow out " your imagiation mon ami ... )

-I ask here loudly : Anyone can upload Mr. Dummett books here ?????????????????????????????????????????????

à bientôt j'espere ...

EUGIM wrote:
" In the suits of Swords and Batons,the original ranking of the cards was (in descending order ) : King,Queen,Knight and Jack,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,Ace.
While i the other two suits of Cups and Coins,it was King,Queen,Knight and Jack.Ace,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10.
In the figures of the fool and the juggler, Moakley saw a figure of lent, an ending of carnival. In such a Christian context, we may then read into the 40 pips a remembrance to the forty days of lent.

According to St. Augustine, the number 7 represents the creature (because God created the heavens and the earth in 6 days, and on the 7th he rested). The number 3 represents the creator, Father and Son and Holy spirit. The number 10 represents a proper understanding of the relationship between creator and creation and the fullness of wisdom. Dispensed in time we arrive at the number 40, because the number 4 is a marker of temporal time, as there are four seasons in the year and four markers of the day (midnight, sunrise, midday, sunset) and 10x4 is 40. That is why we fast 40 days “to signify that in this time it is necessary to abstain from love of the things of time. That, I mean, is what is signified by those total fasts for forty days. For the same reason the people of Israel too was led through the desert for forty years, before it could enter the promised land to reign in it. In the same way we too in this life, full of endless anxieties, of fear, of danger from temptations and trials, are being led as it were through the desert by a temporal dispensation. But when we have made a good passage through the number forty, that is, lived good lives in this temporal dispensation, walking according to the commandments of God, we shall receive as wages the tenner of the faithful; because the Lord too, when he hired workmen for the vineyard, gave them a tenner as their wages. He gave them all a tenner, both those he had hired early in the morning, and those at midday, and those at the end of the day, all of them a tenner.”

As St. Augustine considers the four as a marker of time, the relationship to such over day and year relate to the culmination from one point to another, on the rise and fall of the sun, from midnight to midday, from solstice to solstice, rising and falling like our ranks of pips. As a mark of our love of God, we disdain our love for the things of time, from perfect love of God comes love for ourselves and our neighbour.

* Stevie said : " As St. Augustine considers the four as a marker of time, the relationship to such over day and year relate to the culmination from one point to another, on the rise and fall of the sun, from midnight to midday, from solstice to solstice, rising and falling like our ranks of pips."

-May be this a little conection that we have IIII instead of V ?

-It is much for the city ??? ( Living for,I mean )

SteveM wrote: As St. Augustine considers the four as a marker of time, the relationship to such over day and year relate to the culmination from one point to another, on the rise and fall of the sun, from midnight to midday, from solstice to solstice, rising and falling like our ranks of pips. As a mark of our love of God, we disdain our love for the things of time, from perfect love of God comes love for ourselves and our neighbour.
In connection with the pattern of the Tarot de Marseille, read as a narrative over three levels; I read the first section as one concerned with love, in particular the concept of two loves in the context of Christian salvation, as the foundation of virtue and the path to Eternity; as to the second level, "I hold Virtue", said St. Augustine, "to be nothing else than perfect love of God." The third, the final Judgement according to Augustine is testament to God's caritas, of divine love, and so we see the providential hand of God in history from the fall to restoration, from damnation to salvation. As for the fool, again according to St. Augustine, the soul "while in this Mortal body is a pilgrim in a foreign land", so I tend to see the fool as the soul in exile from God, seeking its way to the City of God, and Love is the path to Eternity.

EUGIM wrote:-I ask here loudly : Anyone can upload Mr. Dummett books here???
Sorry, but we can't upload "books" still within copyright here (such as Dummett's books), and were they uploaded they would need to be removed. I'm perfectly fine with selected pages used for educational discussions, but certainly I would not want to host "books" on this site.

robert wrote:
EUGIM wrote:-I ask here loudly : Anyone can upload Mr. Dummett books here???
Sorry, but we can't upload "books" still within copyright here (such as Dummett's books), and were they uploaded they would need to be removed. I'm perfectly fine with selected pages used for educational discussions, but certainly I would not want to host "books" on this site.
They did however used to be available as pdf files from piratebay, no doubt a determined searcher/thief could still find them online somewhere...