Re: Mellet: Research on the Tarot

I didn't mean three completely separate readings. I meant three "sentences" in answer to the same question for the same querent. The sentences should amount to the same thing, or at least contribute to the same overall understanding, perhaps clarifying things with different language. They are all parts of the same reading, just different sentences in it. Is that how you understand him?

Re: Mellet: Research on the Tarot

mikeh wrote: 13 Oct 2019, 02:23 I didn't mean three completely separate readings. I meant three "sentences" in answer to the same question for the same querent.
Using what he says about the Piquet as a guide I think that:

The trumps (letters) are shuffled and re-cut each time one is laid down in the sentence;

The suit cards, however, are not re-shuffled until you have gone through all of them (possibly, as with the Piquet, if you have not counted up to the king then you turn them over and continue the count until you do, then re-shuffle and cut them for the next run-through).

It is not clear whether, once you have laid a called suit card down, you continue the count or start the count again. That is, say you pull a seven at the count of seven, so you put it in the sentence line (together with the trump pulled at the same time above it), do you continue the count at eight or start again at one? From what he says with the Piquet deck I think you start again at one. Of the Piquet he says:

"...that is, if by naming Ace, Seven, or another, there comes an Ace, a Seven, or another that has been named, that is the one that must be set apart. We always start again until we have exhausted the deck. If at the end there are not enough cards left to go to the King inclusively, we take back the cards, without mixing them or cutting them, to complete the calculation up to the King."

It is not clear to me whether you should start a new line after each re-shuffle and cut of the suit cards, thus producing three lines or 'sentences', or put all cards drawn from the three run-throughs on the same line, to produce the one sentence. My initial instinct was that the three shuffles produce the one line, of the Piquet he says:

"This whole operation is done three times in the same way. It is necessary to have the utmost care to arrange the cards that come out of the deck in the order that they arrive, on the same line, which produces a hieroglyphic sentence."