Re: Two of Cups = Papaver somniferum

The opium of L Amour lost ours minds,ours money,ours self respect,ours beliefs,ours planes,ours friends,ours family love,ours take care about ours enemies,ours job,ours pets love,ours dreams,ours best secrets,ours time,and finally and not less,ours courage to face ours expression at the mirror "that rainy night" you all better know...
The Universe is like a Mamushka.

...an interesting take, Eugim.

In terms of likely intent, I wonder if such may have played in the design.

There are many pre-tarot decorative petroglyphs that remind me of the two cups design, and they certainly do not call to mind poppies... but it is an interesting idea worth pondering.

If you're interested, here are two from my photos dating from either 2000 or 2005 (I did not double-check when I took these). Click on the images to see high resolution versions:

&
association.tarotstudies.org

well I can see this now too, Eugim, since you pointed it out.... esp in that Noblet, but also these other images including what jmd provided, a sort of stylised version of a poppy seed pod. Strange, but I like what it seems to convey as well...like the idea of being swoon-y, maybe over a love or something beloved (which does not have to be another person, I suppose)...hmmm. Very interesting.
"...he wanted to illustrate with his figures many Moral teachings, and under some difficulty, to bite into bad and dangerous customs, & show how today many Actions are done without goodness and honesty, and are accomplished in ways that are contrary to duty and rightfulness."