Re: Weird Old German Book and 17th Century Teaching Card Games

[/quote]One thing of interest I discovered is this book- which appears to be entirely about Divination with Chickens !
chickensign1.jpg
I would really like to see a translation of this book for one reason. I spent over 15 years reading ehtnographies and travel books and taking notes. I believe I was able to read about nearly every major tribe of pre-urban people on earth. I read books by most of the famous travelers, anthropologists and ethnographers, and many relatively unknown. I paid particular attention to things like magic and religion (Well, actually, this is because the writers paid particular attention to it. Had I been there I would have been more interested in things like their knots, their musical instruments, survival-lore, and child- rearing.).
One of the most common rituals around the world is divination with a chicken. (One of the most common performances is taking a chicken and cutting it's head off and tossing it in a sack and then pulling out a live chicken.)
!
chickensign2.jpg
[/quote]
divination with chickens- well, the practice is not at all unusual- it is called "aklectromancy" , and it involves making a circle, writing the letters of the alphabet on 26 segments into which the circle has been divided, and putting a grain of corn upon them. a chicken is set loose, and the chicken would eat certan grains of corn. the letters under which the grain of corn was placed would spell out the word

Re: Weird Old German Book and 17th Century Teaching Card Games

[/quote]One thing of interest I discovered is this book- which appears to be entirely about Divination with Chickens !
chickensign1.jpg
I would really like to see a translation of this book for one reason. I spent over 15 years reading ehtnographies and travel books and taking notes. I believe I was able to read about nearly every major tribe of pre-urban people on earth. I read books by most of the famous travelers, anthropologists and ethnographers, and many relatively unknown. I paid particular attention to things like magic and religion (Well, actually, this is because the writers paid particular attention to it. Had I been there I would have been more interested in things like their knots, their musical instruments, survival-lore, and child- rearing.).
One of the most common rituals around the world is divination with a chicken. (One of the most common performances is taking a chicken and cutting it's head off and tossing it in a sack and then pulling out a live chicken.)
!
chickensign2.jpg
[/quote]
divination with chickens- well, the practice is not at all unusual- it is called "aklectromancy" , and it involves making a circle, writing the letters of the alphabet on 26 segments into which the circle has been divided, and putting a grain of corn upon them. a chicken is set loose, and the chicken would eat certan grains of corn. the letters under which the grain of corn was placed would spell out the word

Re: Weird Old German Book and 17th Century Teaching Card Gam

British Museum:
Pack of 62 instructive playing-cards: Roman and German Emperors Uncoloured etching Backs printed with a pattern of blue stars 17th Century

Curator's comments:
Sixty-two portraits of emperors of Rome and Germany, down to Ferdinand III; each enclosed in an oval spandrel, with Latin title and motto and a German distich below. Though mounted as cards, they are illustrations to a book, a reference to which appears at the top of each card.
http://www.britishmuseum.org/research/c ... more-views

Huck
http://trionfi.com