yellows, blues...
on the white, on the table...
red, also greens...
with black outlines...
drawings on white rectangles...
scattered over the table...
I cannot hear my voice...
How can I find the words to say it...
I look at my reflection in these mirrors, these cards...
a deck of tarots...
Some of the pictures
aligned with other pictures
recall to me the story that has brought me here...”
Italo Calvino, The Castle of Crossed Destinies (Remixed)

Come join me at 192 Books this coming Wednesday, March 10th, where I will be revisiting Italo Calvino’s Castle of Crossed Destinies. to celebrate the re-edition of the Jean Dodal tarot by Jean-Claude Flornoy.
192 books
192 10th Avenue, at 21st Street
RSVP: 212.255.4022

Also, on March 25th, from 7:00 to 9:00 p.m. I will by giving a talk at Reflections Yoga:

Embodied Tarot
Visual thinker Enrique Enriquez shares his phenomenological approach to the tarot that doesn’t focus on symbolism but rather on the way we can use our body experience to understand images. By contrasting the the medieval notion of symmetry with our current understanding of the way our brain makes meaning, we will be able to apprehend the tarot’s language of shape.
Reflections Yoga
250 West 49 Street, 2nd Floor
Between 8th Ave. and Broadway
Cost: $25
Sign in at: 212 974 2288

And there is more...

tarology updates

some doors are closing: you won’t find me at enriqueenriquez.net anymore.

some doors are opening: please take notice of my new e-mail address ee@enriqueenriquez.me and my new web site url: www.enriqueenriquez.me

tarology update: a conversation with Michael J. Hurst:

http://tarology.wordpress.com/2010/...ichael-j-hurst/

tarology update: the tarot talks with Vito Acconci:

http://tarology.wordpress.com/2010/...h-vito-acconci/

All my Best,

Enrique Enriquez
Laboratory of meaning, making sense since 1969
What’s honeymoon salad? Lettuce alone
Don’t look now, mayonnaise is dressing!

Re: tarology updates and a few reminders...

Oh my you guys, two of my favourite people in one of the most interesting conversations I've read in ages. Ross, you've nailed the coffin shut on anyone who thinks that "Tarot Historians" are crusty, boring beings. I read the entire interview in a state of appreciation for how candid you were, and lots of nods of the "oh god, that's exactly the same thing I went through" sort.

Enrique... This is the most interesting tarot website in ages; Ross, thanks for sharing so much, I really enjoyed the interview.

:-bd :clapping ^:)^ to you both.

robert wrote:Oh my you guys, two of my favourite people in one of the most interesting conversations I've read in ages. Ross, you've nailed the coffin shut on anyone who thinks that "Tarot Historians" are crusty, boring beings. I read the entire interview in a state of appreciation for how candid you were, and lots of nods of the "oh god, that's exactly the same thing I went through" sort.

Enrique... This is the most interesting tarot website in ages; Ross, thanks for sharing so much, I really enjoyed the interview.

:-bd :clapping ^:)^ to you both.
Thanks Robert, glad that coffin's nailed shut! I tried to stay fairly clean - there's so much more. I'd be interested to head more of the "oh god, that's the same thing I went through" kind of thing from you, too.

...and thanks Enrique (again)! It was really a pleasure to have this kind of coversation. You've done it mostly with people I don't know, but I feel I have got to know them through the conversation. Having done it, I realize how much more I could have and should have said - and it shows me that I shouldn't take for granted that I have gotten to know someone through this brief glimpse of their lives. It is a series of snapshots.

I hope Enrique asks some others in the online Tarot community (I can think of a certain someone, let's say his name begins with R too... wouldn't mind an H and a few others too) for conversations on his blog.

I am impressed by the amount of faith in Ross's description of his life: I don't think faith is common in the contemporary world. Maybe this rarity explains why it is lived as a conflict between Satan and a number of different Churches. Still, through all the conflict, faith still works.

About the importance of Crowley with respect to Duchamp and Ezra Pound, this is what google says:
"ezra pound" 981,000 pages
"marcel duchamp" 885,000 pages
"aleister crowley" 699,000 pages

I like the fact that Crowley has left to us some tools that we can use in order to try and change our lives. Possibly, this is true also for Duchamp and Pound, I don't know. I think that all of them were elitists, but in my opinion Crowley is the one that can be more readily accessible to the masses (myself included). I don't think he would be happy to know that :)
We should check again in fifty years or so.

Thank you Enrique and Ross!

Marco

marco wrote:I am impressed by the amount of faith in Ross's description of his life: I don't think faith is common in the contemporary world. Maybe this rarity explains why it is lived as a conflict between Satan and a number of different Churches. Still, through all the conflict, faith still works.
Thanks very much for that insightful comment Marco. What do you mean by "faith"?

I would say that I definitely have always had an inner security, or sense of guidance and purpose, even when I didn't know what to call it or where I might learn more about it. I can't remember a time when I didn't hear that inner voice.
I like the fact that Crowley has left to us some tools that we can use in order to try and change our lives. Possibly, this is true also for Duchamp and Pound, I don't know. I think that all of them were elitists, but in my opinion Crowley is the one that can be more readily accessible to the masses (myself included). I don't think he would be happy to know that :)
We should check again in fifty years or so.
That might be a good amount of time. I can't really guess what his fortunes will be.

Ross

It's a very sincere interview. I am overwhelmed. Congratulations for your courage.

I have no faith in anything. Only in science (and in the man and the moose ^^) ... and love. I believe that love, including oneself, is very important. The difference between St. Augustine and the hermits of the Thebaid, as Simon Stylites, is love. San Augustine loves people and, therefore, seek their comfort. Simon only seeks his own salvation. Faith, politics, science ... without love are out of order.

Great Ross!
When a man has a theory // Can’t keep his mind on nothing else (By Ross)