Re: The Popess

Taken from a post by jmd on this thread: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=295

I was therefore please to find a new (well, OLD, but new to me, and as far as I'm aware not presented to the tarot community) triple-crowned image of Mary in the Cambridge online library:

It's also interesting to note that this comes from a Royal Charter of King Henry VI, dating from 1446. Ie, from the period of tarot's early development.[/quote]
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy...

II. The Audacious Popesse

She is a strange mystery:
this poetic irony
of Faith allegorized
by that which faith denies.

Beneath her bridal veil
this sacred bride, enthroned
in a place denied by faith,
unveils unholy truth:

the monstrous truth
of barbarous clerics
who, beneath decrees of faith,
prefer to prey on
than pray for.
Last edited by SteveM on 05 Apr 2010, 11:50, edited 2 times in total.

Examples of the the Broad Manner and the Fine Manner under which Florentine prints of the Finiguerra school are generally categorised (and applied to other Italian prints too).

Quote:
“In the BROAD MANNER the lines are laid chiefly in open parallels, and generally the shading is emphasized with a lighter return stroke laid at a small angle between the parallels. Its aim is essentially the imitation of pen drawing after the manner of such draughtsmen as Pollaiuolo and Mantegna. The FINE MANNER on the other hand shows shading in close cross-hatching (somewhat patchy and cloudy in effect in most of the early Florentine prints), and gives the appearance of imitating a wash drawing.

“The two manners may be well compared in the series of "Prophets and Sibyls," which exists in two versions, the earlier being in the Fine, and the later in the Broad Manner.

"The first series shows a craftsman who drew largely from German sources (putting a St. John of the Master E. S. into the habit of the Libyan Sibyl).

THE LIBYAN SIBYL
From a series of the "Prophets and Sibyls," engraved in the Fine Manner of the Finiguerra School

"In the second we have an artist who discarded all the ugly and awkward features which originated in the German originals, and showed throughout a far truer feeling for beauty and a much finer power of draughtsmanship than the earlier engraver. Mr. Herbert Home suspects, rightly I think, that Botticelli himself directly inspired this transformation of the ' Prophets and Sibyls.'

THE LIBYAN SIBYL
From a series of the "Prophets and Sibyls," engraved in the Broad Manner of the Finiguerra School

End quote

Some Early Italian Engravers Before The Time Of Marcantonio by Arthur M. Hind
Published in Prints And Their Makers - Essays On Engravers And Etchers Old And Modern 1913, edited by Fitzroy Carrington

[Interesting for the popess of PMB, only]

Ludovico Antonio Muratori. Dissertazioni sopra le antichità italiane. Società tipografica dei classici italiani, 5 voll., Milano 1837 II.

http://www.classicitaliani.it/muratori/dissert60.htm

Her sumary of the Guilielmam Bohemam, vulgo Guilielminam, eiusque Sectam. The proccess agains Manfreda and the Guglielmini:

Ma né pure tanto zelo dei Pontefici e la vigilanza degl’Inquisitori potè impedire che non passasse in Italia anche l’eresia de’ Fraticelli, formata dalle precedenti sul fine del medesimo secolo XIII. Truovasi descritta questa sporchissima setta da varj antichi scrittori ed ultimamente dal Bernini nel tomo III della Storia delle Eresie. La maggior parte degli Autori Milanesi riferiscono a questa setta i delirj della Guglielmina, la quale circa i medesimi tempi, dopo avere infettati non pochi di quel popolo, si guadagnò fama di santità presso la stolta plebe, talmente che dopo morte tenuta fu per Santa, e da’ suoi seguaci empiamente era onorata per tale. Ma non s’ha a confondere la setta fantastica di Guglielmina coi Fraticelli. E perciocché poca conoscenza di questa famosa femmina hanno avuto gli scrittori della Storia, ed io ho potuto leggere nella celebre Biblioteca Ambrosiana il processo autentico d’essa, formato l’anno 1300, e la storia de’ suoi errori, compilata dal Puricelli e scritta a penna; non rincrescerà ai Lettori di riceverne da me una breve contezza, meritando ben essa di passare ai posteri, acciocché niuno si lasci giuntare dai sogni ed inganni delle donnicciuole in avvenire.

Degli antichi scrittori quel solo che il Rinaldi cita negli Annali Ecclesiastici all’anno 1301, e che sembra parlare di questa femmina, è l’Autore degli Annali di Colmar, pubblicati dall’Urstisio, o sia il Continuatore ignoto. Così egli scrive: Praecedenti anno venit de Anglia virgo decora valde, pariterque facunda, dicens, Spiritum Sanctum incarnatum in redemtionem mulierum. Et baptizavit mulieres in nomine Patris, et Filii, ac Sui. Quae mortua ducta fuit in Mediolanum, ibi et cremata: cujus cineres Frater Johannes de Vissemburc se vidisse referebat. Se intese questo Scrittore di disegnare con tali parole la Guglielmina, come persuade quel che dirò, in molte cose egli s’ingannò. Non dall’Inghilterra, ma dalla Boemia venne a Milano questa scellerata donna. Il processo è intitolato contra Guilielmam Bohemam, vulgo Guilielminam, ejusque Sectam. Quivi in primo luogo v’ha la sentenza proferita contra Dominum Stephanum Confanonerium l’anno 1295, mercoledì 23 di novembre, quod a multis retro annis fuerit credens, fautor, receptator et amicus Haereticorum Sectae de Concorezo, villa del territorio di Milano. Viene egli incolpato d’avere commesso cose enormi contro la Fede Cattolica in difesa degli Eretici, difendendo pubblicamente i loro errori, e tenendo scuola d’essi in casa propria. Oltre a ciò si dice che per colmo delle sue iniquità egli con altri suoi compagni tractavit cum effectu l’uccisione del Beato Pietro Martire, allora Inquisitore: pel quale maleficio egli fu bandito nell’anno 1252 nel dì 12 d’aprile dal sig. Pietro podestà di Milano. Altre sentenze proferite contra di lui sono mentovate; e finalmente egli è condannato e consegnato al Podestà secolare. Intervenne a questi atti Frater Stephanardus de Vico Mercato de Ordine Fratrum Praedicatorum, cioè quel medesimo di cui ho pubblicato un Poema de Rebus gestis Ottonis Vicecomitis Archiepiscopi Mediolanensis nel tomo IX Rer. Ital. Succede il processo contro Guglielmina, la cui setta non si vede mai accusata di alcun atto di lussuria o lascivia, ma sì bene che abbondasse di molti pazzi aborti di fantasia, e di non poche frodi di finzioni donnesche. Il Corio ed altri scrittori, seguitando le dicerie del vulgo, scrissero di costei varie cose lontane dal vero. Ecco dunque i sinceri ma empj insegnamenti di Guglielmina, i quali possono ora facilmente muovere a riso, ma ritrovarono una volta fede e venerazione presso non pochi dell’ignorante plebe.

Primieramente spacciava costei d’esser ella lo Spirito Santo, incarnato nel sesso feminile, e nato da Costanza moglie del re di Boemia, e regina.

Secondariamente, siccome l’Arcangelo Gabriello a Maria Vergine avea annunziata l’Incarnazione del Verbo Divino; così anche l’Arcangelo Rafaello avea annunziata alla regina Costanza l’Incarnazione dello Spirito Santo nel dì della Pentecoste, in cui dopo un anno intero era poi essa Guglielmina venuta alla luce.

III. Siccome Cristo fu vero Dio e vero Uomo, così costei si spacciava per vero Dio e vero Uomo in sesso feminino, la quale era per salvare i Giudei, i Saraceni e i falsi Cristiani, come per mezzo di Cristo si salvano i veri Cristiani.

IV. Essa al pari di Cristo avea da morire secondo la natura umana, e non già secondo la divina.

V. Che anch’essa era per risorgere con corpo umano in sesso feminile prima della risurrezion finale, per salire in cielo alla vista de’ suoi discepoli, amici e divoti.

VI. Come Cristo avea lasciato per suo Vicario in terra San Pietro con dargli da reggere la sua Chiesa; così anch’ella lasciava per sua Vicaria nel mondo Mayfredam Ordinis Humiliatorum Sanctimonialem.

VII. Ad imitazione di San Pietro questa Mayfreda celebrerebbe Messa al sepolcro dello Spirito Santo incarnato; e ch’essa di poi con solenne apparato ripeterebbe la medesima Messa, e sederebbe e predicherebbe nella Basilica Metropolitana di Milano, e poscia in Roma nella Sedia Apostolica, dove si troverebbero gli Apostoli e Discepoli, come furono con Cristo.

VIII. Mayfreda dovea essere una vera Papessa, dotata della podestà di vero Papa; di maniera che come il Papa e il Papato Romano d’allora s’avea da abolire, con dar luogo a questa Papessa, così si sarebbero battezzati i Giudei, i Saraceni, e l’altre nazioni che son fuori della Chiesa Romana, né son peranche battezzate.

IX. Tolti via i quattro antichi Vangeli, ne succederebbono quattro altri, che d’ordine di Guglielmina sarebbono scritti.

X. Come Cristo dopo la risurrezione si lasciò vedere, altrettanto farebbe ella co’ suoi discepoli.

XI. A chiunque visitasse il Monistero di Chiaravalle, dove ella sarebbe seppellita, si concederebbe indulgenza pari a quella che si acquista andando a Gerusalemme al santo Sepolcro. E perciò da tutte le parti del mondo verrebbono i pellegrini a visitare il di lei sepolcro.

XII. A tutti i seguaci di questo Santo Spirito soprastavano assaissimi mali e morti, non altrimenti di quel che avvenne agli Apostoli di Cristo e de’ suoi stessi seguaci, alcuni de’ quali imiterebbero Giuda con dare in man degl’Inquisitori i loro seguaci.

E tali furono i principali abbominevoli insegnamenti e le ridicole finzioni di Guglielmina, tralasciando io il resto. Né già tutto questo era stato finto da essa, ma bensì dalla suddetta Mayfreda, e da un certo empio Andrea Saramita. Forse costoro aveano inteso simili delirj da Simone Mago, descritti da Eusebio e da Santo Epifanio. Quel che è da stupire, forse Guglielmina finì i suoi giorni nell’anno 1281, e prima fu seppellita nella chiesa di San Pietro all’Orto, e sul principio del susseguente anno le sue ossa furono trasferite fuori della città al Monistero di Chiaravalle, e poste in uno onorevol sepolcro. Uno di que’ monaci le fece il panegirico, trattandola da Santa e da curatrice de’ mali. Lampane e cerei stavano accesi davanti ad esso sepolcro. Tre feste in oltre erano state istituite da’ suoi divoti a quel Monistero. La stessa Mayfreda in sua casa celebrava Messa, e i seguaci suoi le baciavano le mani, ricevendo da essa la benedizione, e talvolta dell’ostie a guisa di Eucaristia. Veggasi di grazia di che sia capace la gente ignorante e sciocca, lasciata in preda alle sue opinioni e ad una stolta credulità. Ma Iddio custode della vera sua Chiesa non permise che lungamente trionfasse l’illusione nel popolo di una città sì religiosa e Cattolica. Nell’anno 1300 si scoprì la setta di Guglielmina, le sue ossa furono bruciate, spiantato il suo sepolcro. Andrea Saramita e Mayfreda Monaca, caporali di tale eresia, perché pertinaci alunni di Guglielmina, finirono i lor giorni nelle fiamme. E questo fine ebbe la fantastica ed empia tragedia di costoro.
When a man has a theory // Can’t keep his mind on nothing else (By Ross)

Great article of Mary K. Greer about Maifreda Visconti:

http://marygreer.wordpress.com/2009/11/ ... -evidence/

(Its better see the link).

Papess Maifreda Visconti of the Guglielmites—new evidence

November 7, 2009

Visconti - PapessGertrude Moakley (The Tarot Cards Painted by Bonifacio Bembo, 1966) introduced the Tarot world to a possible original source of the Papess card. Maifreda (or Manfreda) Visconti da Pirovano was to be declared Pope in Milan on Easter 1300 in a new age of the Holy Spirit. Instead, Maifreda and others in the sect were, that year, burned at the stake, along with the disinterred body of Guglielma, who had inspired this new movement. Could Maifreda be depicted on the Tarot Popess card?

Maifreda was an Abbess in the Umiliati Order and first cousin to Matteo Visconti, the Ghibelline (anti-pope) ruler of Milan. Maifreda believed the Holy Spirit had manifested on earth in the form of Guglielma (d. 1281), a middle-aged woman with a grown son who claimed to be a daughter of Premysl Otakar, King of Bohemia, and, who on arriving in Milan in 1260, donned a “simple brown habit” and lived the life of a saint. To the Guglielmites, her arrival fulfilled a prophecy of St. Joachim de Fiore that a new age of the Holy Spirit would begin in 1260, “heralding the inauguration of an ecclesia spiritualis in which grace, spiritual knowledge and contemplative gifts would be diffused to all.” Although she vehemently denied it, “rumors of divinity already swirled around Guglielma during her lifetime.” And, “Her words about ‘the body of the Holy Spirit,’ together with her mysterious royal origins, Pentecostal birth, imputed healings and stigmata, coalesced to create a more-than-human mystique in the minds of her friends.” Immediately after her death dozens of portraits were painted and chapels were dedicated to Santa Guglielma. (Visconti-Sforza card on the right – her cross at top left is hard to see.)

Giotto FidesBarbara Newman (aka Mona Alice Jean Newman) presented the most complete account in English of the Guglielmites in her From Virile Woman to WomanChrist: Studies in Medieval Religion and Literature, but it is in her more recent paper, “The Heretic Saint: Guglielma of Bohemia, Milan and Brunate,” that we learn important details that make an attribution to Maifreda as Papess much stronger than previously thought (all quotes and information not otherwise attributed are from this article).

Many tarot scholars since Moakley have doubted Maifreda as source, nor do they give much credence to an older assumption that the card depicted Pope Joan (see article by Ross Caldwell). Instead, modern thinking proposes that it was always an allegorical image of Fides (Faith—see Giotto image to right), Sapientia (Wisdom), Ecclesia (Holy Mother Church) or the Papacy itself. Alternately, she could be Isis (see below with Hermes Trismegistus & Moses by Pinturicchio in the Vatican), the Blessed Virgin Mary or a priestess of Venus (below) —see especially Bob O’Neill’s “Iconology of the Early Papess Cards” and Andrea Vitali’s essay on “The High Priestess.” Even Paul Huson in Mystical Origins of the Tarot finds it difficult to believe the Visconti family would memorialize a family member burned at the stake as a heretic.Isis & Hermes Pinturicchio 1494

BVMPriestess of Venus

Certainly “Faith” and “Holy Mother Church” may be referenced in the Tarot image, but they were probably of a more heretical sort than the orthodox church has ever sanctioned. Andrea Vitali recounts a summary of the trial of Guglielma and her followers in which we find:

Papess028“As Christ was true God and true Man, in the same manner, she [Guglielma] claimed herself to be true God and true Man in the female sex, come to save the Jews, the Saracens and the false Christians, in the same way as the true Christians are saved by means of Christ.” [Tying her story in with the final cards of Judgment and the World, we find,] “She too claimed she would arise again with a human body in the female sex before the final resurrection, in order to rise to heaven before the eyes of her disciples, friends and devotees.”

O’Neill objects that “beyond the deck specifically produced for the Visconti about 1450, the local Milanese phenomenon of Guglielmites is unlikely to be the source for the image on earlier decks, for example, the 1442 deck mentioned in an inventory of the Este estate in Ferrara.” But, as Newman’s paper points out, Matteo Visconti’s son, Galeazzo, married the Duke of Ferrara’s sister in 1300 and lived there from 1302-1310, so Ferrara had its own early connection to this saint. Furthermore, Guglielma’s story and veneration were popularized in Ferrara by 1425 through a hagiography (saint’s life) by Antonio Bonfadini, and in Florence through a popular late-15th century religious play by Antonia Pulci—although they garbled her history. (15th century deck on the right is known as the Fournier/Lombardy II.)

Matteo Visconti (first Duke of Milan and first cousin to Maifreda) had as an advisor his good friend, Cary-PapessFrancesco da Garbagnate—an ardent devotee of Guglielma. Matteo was at the center of his own long battle with the Church, having expelled the Papal Inquisitors in 1311, and being himself excommunicated in 1317, tried for sorcery and heresy in 1321, and having Milan placed under interdict in 1322. Matteo’s grandmother and uncle (archbishop of Milan) had earlier been named heretics. (Pope/Papess? card, left, is from the “Cary Sheet” found at the Sforza Castle, Milan.)

From Newman’s article, we learn that Maifreda’s convent was in Biassono, but she fails to note that Biassono is only five miles from the small town of Concorezzo that in 1299 was home to 1,500 Cathars! It seems after the Albigensian crusade many small towns around Milan became refugee outposts of this faith, of which Concorezzo was the center, and may have inspired the order of nuns who called themselves the “humble” (umiliati). Guglielma-Brunate close

The most compelling bit of data making the attribution of the Papess card almost certain is that between 1440 and 1460 Bianca Maria Visconti, wife of Francesco Sforza and duchess of Milan, frequently visited Maddalena Albrizzi, Abbess of monasteries in Como and Brunate, and gave aid and gifts to the Order. (Brunate is just north of Milan with Biassono between them). Even the stones for the Como monastery were donated by Francesco Sforza. The Visconti-Sforza deck (first picture in post) was probably commissioned by or for Bianca Maria. Around 1450 (the same period as the deck) a cycle of frescos were painted in the Church of San Andrea at Brunate that recorded the story of Guglielma:

“How she left the house of her husband, came to Brunate, and lived a solitary life here, wearing a hairshirt and ordinary dress . . . in the company of a crucifix and an image of Our Lady.”

Only one of these frescos, ornately framed, remains today near the original chapel that had been dedicated to Saint Guglielma (see above). It depicts Guglielma with two figures kneeling before her. She appears to be giving a special blessing to a nun. Newman identifies the two as Maifreda and Andrea Saramita (he was the main promulgator of her divinity as the Holy Spirit). Others, more convincingly, claim them as Maddalena Albrizzi (founder of the monastery and candidate for sainthood) and her cousin Pietro Albrici who renovated the church. Even as late as the nineteenth century, Sir Richard Burton, author of The Arabian Nights, noted that “Santa Guglielma, worshipped at Brunate, works many miracles, chiefly healing aches of head.”

It seems reasonable to conclude that Bianca Maria Visconti may have had a special devotion to the woman whom, 150 years after being condemned by the Inquisition, so many Lombards venerated as a saint, and that she honored an earlier family member, Maifreda, who served as Guglielma’s Vicar—hiding her in plain sight as an allegory of Faith.

Let’s ask the question about the source in a slightly different way: Would it have been possible for Bianca Maria Visconti to have not seen this card as Maifreda? Likewise, would it have been possible for a church reformer of the time, familiar with Maifreda and Pope Joan, to have not seen this card as an allegory of Heresy instead of Faith? For instance, a monk wrote in Sermones de Ludo Cum Aliis (c. 1450-1480) about La Papessa, “O wretched, it is what the Christian Faith denies.”

Later Swiss, Germans and Belgians de-sacralized the deck, finding both Pope and Papess objectionable and substituting for them cards like Jupiter & Juno, Bacchus & the Spanish Captain, or the Moors. The Papess, it seems, has always been a mysterious and disturbing force, spreading anxiety instead of the calm assurance one might expect from Faith.
Acknowledgements: Huck Meyer pointed out this picture and Newman’s article at Aeclectic’s tarotforum last year – see discussion. I was then reminded of this material through reading Helen Farley’s fascinating book, A Cultural History of Tarot: From Entertainment to Esotericism.

Giovanni Boccaccio. De mulieribus claris.

Edizione di riferimento:

Volgarizzamento dell’opera di messer Boccaccio De claris mulieribus rinvenuto in un codice del xiv secolo dell’archivio cassinese pubblicato per cura e studio di d. Luigi Tosti Monaco della badia di Montecassino, seconda edizione, Milano per Giovanni Silvestri, 1841. BIBLIOTECA SCELTA DI OPERE ITALIANE ANTICHE E MODERNE

http://www.classicitaliani.it/boccaccio ... ato.htm#00

CAPITOLO LXXXXVIII.
Giovanni Anglica.

Giovanni, benchè paia uomo quanto al nome, nondimeno al fatto fu femmina; la cui inaudita presunzione la fece conoscere a tutto il mondo, e per innanzi saputa. Benchè si dica per alcuni che ella fosse di Magonza, appena si sa qual fusse il suo proprio nome; avvegnachè alcuni dicano quella avere avuto nome Giliberta. È manifesto questo, che ella fu amata da uno giovane scolare nella sua gioventù; il quale dicono, che ella amò tanto, che, messa giù la paura e la vergogna d’una vergine femmina, fuggì di casa di suo padre nascosamente, e mutata in abito d’uno fanciullo, seguì quello: appresso del quale studiando ella in Anglia, fu pensato da ognuno, che ella fusse uno chierico, dove ella era della milizia di Venere, e dello studio. Poi essendo morto il giovane, conoscendo ella sè medesima avere buono ingegno, essendo tratta da dolcezzi di scienza, tenendo l’abito, non si volse accostare ad altri, nè manifestarsi sè essere femmina; ma attenendosi sollecitamente allo studio, fece tanto profitto nelle scienze liberali, che era tenuta eccellente innanzi agli altri; e così ornata di mirabile scienza già in età provetta si partì d’Anglia, e andò a Roma, dove leggendo alcuni anni le scienze primitive, ebbe maravigliosi uditori. E essendo oltre alle scienze di singulare santità e onestà, fu creduto da ogni uno che ella fusse uomo. Per questo conosciuta da molti, e morendo Leone Papa Quinto, di consentimento di tutti i venerabili Cardinali fu eletta Papa in luogo di quello che era morto, e fu chiamata Giovanni. La quale femmina non temendo montare in sulla sedia del Pescatore, e trattare i sacri Misteri tutti, e darli ad altri, non concesso ad alcuna femmina per la Religione de’ Cristiani; tenne l’altezza del Papato alcuni anni, e femmina, tenne in terra il vicariato di Cristo. E avendo egli dal Cielo misericordia del suo popolo, con comportò che femmina tenesse sì maraviglioso luogo, nè che soprastasse a sì gran popolo, nè che egli fusse ingannato per sì malvagio errore. Per la qual cosa, confortandola il diavolo, il quale l’avea menata, e tenevala in quella scellerata audacia, e avendo in privata vita servata speziale onestà, montato in sì alto pontificato, cadde in lussuria. E come questo fu peccato indegno, e come maravigliosa la sapienza di Dio, finalmente mancò l’ingegno a nascondere l’adultero parto a quella che sì lungamente aveva potuto ingannare gli occhi degli uomini. Imperocchè essendo quello più presso al termine che non si credeva, ella andò per fare annuale sacrificio alla chiesa di san Niccolò al Laterano tra il Culiseo e la chiesa di Clemente Papa; non essendovi alcuna femmina per balia presta nella via, partorì pubblicamente; e manifestò con che inganni aveva ingannati tutti gii uomini, salvo che lo amante. Per questo fu messa quella in prigione misera col suo parto, dove finì sua vita. E a vituperazione di sua disonestà, e per continuare la sua infamia insino a questo tempo, il Papa facendo con lo clero e con lo popolo la processione, e venendo a quel luogo del parto, il quale è in mezzo del cammino, per abbominazione di quello piegano la via per gli altri sentieri: così passato lo vituperoso luogo, tornati alla via, compiono lor viaggio.

mmfilesi wrote:La quale femmina non temendo montare in sulla sedia del Pescatore, e trattare i sacri Misteri tutti, e darli ad altri, non concesso ad alcuna femmina per la Religione de’ Cristiani;
Thank you Marcos,
this passage seems to me to be echoed in the reference to the Popess in the Steele Sermon.

La papessa (O miseri quod negat Christiana fides): "The Popess (O wretches, Christian Faith denies that)".

Latin:
Que tamen non verita ascendere Piscatoris cathedram et sacra ministeria omnia, nulli mulierum a christiana religione concessum, tractare agere et aliis exhibere...

English:
This woman was not afraid to mount the Fisheman's throne, to perform all the sacred offices, and to administer them to others (something that the Christina religion does not permit any woman to do)."
Last edited by marco on 09 Aug 2010, 21:15, edited 2 times in total.

Yes, I noticed that and went in search of the latin text too:

Que tamen non verita ascendere Piscatoris cathefram et sacra ministerial omnia, nulla mulierum a Christiana religion concessum, tractare agree et aliis exhibere, apostolatus culmen aliquibus annis obtinuit Christique vicariatum femina gessit in terries.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=pArY ... &q&f=false

The English section reads:
This woman was not afraid to mount the Fisherman’s throne, to perform all the sacred offices, and to administer them to others (something that the Christian religion does not permit any woman to do).

Then I got distracted adding a page on the Lights of the World to tarotpedia, which I meant to do a while ago and realized I hadn't done when I went to relook at the sermon:

http://www.tarotpedia.com/wiki/Sermones ... _Cum_Aliis

Draft new page on the lights of the world here:

http://www.tarotpedia.com/wiki/Lights_of_the_World

please feel free to add, correct, amend, qualify...

Marco, perhaps you could make a note on the sermon page re: boccaccio / joan reference?