Re: The Magician

From The Complete Woodcuts of Albrecht Durer, Dover Books.
Title woodcut to: WIE DER WURFFEL AUFF IST KUMEN (Nurenberg, Max Ayrer 1489. Schr. 5490). The cut shows the Devil tempting a knight to gamble, the outbreak of a quarrel at the gambling table punished by death on the wheel. Weisbach (p.16) was the first to propose Durer for this; he was followed by Seidlitz Pr. Jhrb.1907, p.4) and Weixlgartner did not object (Gr/Kste.1906, p.65). Stadler attributes the cuts to his Master of Kalenenberg.
https://imgur.com/LoEFAHp
Last edited by Pen on 19 Dec 2017, 10:07, edited 1 time in total.
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy...

Wonderful images from a post by mikeh here. Slightly edited for this thread - hope that's OK.
The engraving of Luna (and her "children") is a copy of an earlier one, part of an earlier series, sometime 1460-1464, attributed to Baldini by Lambert (1998) and Finaguera by Hind (1938).

An interesting feature of this "children of the Moon" is that at least two of the three coins (or balls, or bubble blower) on the Bagatto's table are clearly joined together by string or wire, like on the Noblet Bateleur, and less obviously the d'Este card, but different from the Conver. (The dating of the d'Este card, I guess, should be c. 1475). The other "children of the Moon" that I have seen just have the objects, some of them touching, but with no sign of the string or wire.

He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy...

Well, it's a knife!

The same knife? Who can say?

But... it wouldn't surprise me at all. I just finished reading a book onmedieval medicine,and barber/surgeons were also tooth-pullers (at least in England), and since we've seen the Children of the Moon image with the Bateleur pulling teeth, I'd not be surprised to find that a travelling man of this sort would have also performed some surgeries. I didn't realise until reading this book the entirely different professions of Physicians and Surgeons, and then the third member of the group.. the Apothecary.