Books of Fortune and Dreams?

For students and masters of the Schola Metaphysicae.
Enormous portraits of de Gébelin, Etteilla, Levi, Papus, Wirth, Waite, and Crowley grace these hallowed halls. (A few secret passages have been rumored to exist, but we don't speak of these things.)

Re: Books of Fortune and Dreams?

Postby Pen on 17 Nov 2010, 09:04

Hoo, thank you for sharing this treasure... :grin:

Pen
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy...
User avatar
Pen
the truth is out there..
 
Location: UK
Favorite Deck: Tarot de Paris
Mood: pensive

Re: Books of Fortune and Dreams?

Postby cadla on 18 Nov 2010, 13:53

Pen wrote:Hoo, thank you for sharing this treasure... :grin:

Pen


Yes, many thanks, I'm risking yet more bandwidth charges from Bell Canada and downloading the PDF file for offline contemplation.
cadla
 

Re: Books of Fortune and Dreams?

Postby Pen on 14 Jan 2011, 22:46

marco wrote:But what about the Books of Dreams?
Marco


I've just finished reading the pages available on Google Books of Dreambooks in Byzantium: six oneirocritica in translation, with commentary ... By Steven M. Oberhelman.

The author states that:
The Daniel dreambook is commonly accepted as the earliest Byzantine oneirocriticon; some scholars even consider it the basic source text for all medieval dreambooks of both the East and the West.


There's an original copy of Daniel's Dreambook in Latin Here, and enough of Steven Oberhelman's book on Google Books to give one a good idea of the content of the medieval dreambooks.

Pen
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy...
User avatar
Pen
the truth is out there..
 
Location: UK
Favorite Deck: Tarot de Paris
Mood: pensive

Re: Books of Fortune and Dreams?

Postby hoo on 15 Jan 2011, 21:06

Well, I don't have much to say on this subject, but I can't help looking for things so here's some links:
3 Links for Artemidorus -
De somniorum interpretatione, libri quinq₃, iam primum à Iano Cornario medico physico Francofordensi, Latina lingua conscripti (1539)
Oneirocritica; (1805)
A German Dream Book-
Eyn newes Traum Büchlein [1535]
I can't read any of this of course, just posting some more potential resources I happened on.
Deliver me from reasons why you'd rather cry - I'd rather fly...
Jim Morrison - The Crystal Ship
User avatar
hoo
flaming headless chicken
 
Location: San Francisco
Favorite Deck: Medieval Scapini
Mood: really flying

Re: Books of Fortune and Dreams?

Postby marco on 16 Jan 2011, 13:04

Pen wrote:There's an original copy of Daniel's Dreambook in Latin Here, and enough of Steven Oberhelman's book on Google Books to give one a good idea of the content of the medieval dreambooks.


Thank you Pen!
I have downloaded Daniel. It's quite short (21 pages) and simple: a dictionary of objects with the associated interpretation. Transcribing and translating it would not be hard for a small team of interested people :)

Pages 20/21 present meanings for the 23 letters of the alphabet.
User avatar
marco
 
Favorite Deck: Sola-Busca

Re: Books of Fortune and Dreams?

Postby Pen on 16 Jan 2011, 15:17

Marco, I think most (if not all) of Daniel's Dreambook is accessible in English in Steven Oberhelman's book on Google Books... %%-

Pen
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy...
User avatar
Pen
the truth is out there..
 
Location: UK
Favorite Deck: Tarot de Paris
Mood: pensive

Re: Books of Fortune and Dreams?

Postby marco on 16 Jan 2011, 20:21

Pen wrote:Marco, I think most (if not all) of Daniel's Dreambook is accessible in English in Steven Oberhelman's book on Google Books... %%-

Pen


Too bad :D
User avatar
marco
 
Favorite Deck: Sola-Busca

Re: Books of Fortune and Dreams?

Postby Ross G. R. Caldwell on 16 Jan 2011, 23:00

marco wrote:
Pen wrote:There's an original copy of Daniel's Dreambook in Latin Here, and enough of Steven Oberhelman's book on Google Books to give one a good idea of the content of the medieval dreambooks.


Thank you Pen!
I have downloaded Daniel. It's quite short (21 pages) and simple: a dictionary of objects with the associated interpretation. Transcribing and translating it would not be hard for a small team of interested people :)

Pages 20/21 present meanings for the 23 letters of the alphabet.


It would have been fun. "H. Signifies the love of women".

I'll try to remember to see H's in my dreams tonight ;)
Image
User avatar
Ross G. R. Caldwell
Pedant
 
Location: Béziers
Favorite Deck: Bibl. nat. Estampes, Kh. 34 rés t.I
Mood: Pedantic
Aliases: belmurru

Re: Books of Fortune and Dreams?

Postby Pen on 17 Jan 2011, 21:53

Ross G. R. Caldwell wrote:
marco wrote:
Pen wrote:There's an original copy of Daniel's Dreambook in Latin Here, and enough of Steven Oberhelman's book on Google Books to give one a good idea of the content of the medieval dreambooks.


Thank you Pen!
I have downloaded Daniel. It's quite short (21 pages) and simple: a dictionary of objects with the associated interpretation. Transcribing and translating it would not be hard for a small team of interested people :)

Pages 20/21 present meanings for the 23 letters of the alphabet.


It would have been fun. "H. Signifies the love of women".

I'll try to remember to see H's in my dreams tonight ;)


One has the sense when reading that dreams were different then, although some things stay the same...

But to keep the record straight I've just checked again and Daniel's Dreambook (the one on which both the Eastern and Western dreambooks were based) is not accessible in its entirety in Dreambooks in Byzantium).

Pen
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy...
User avatar
Pen
the truth is out there..
 
Location: UK
Favorite Deck: Tarot de Paris
Mood: pensive

Previous

Return to The Plush Parlor


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron