Re: Dee on the 21st Roman Letter

Hi Yygdrasilian !

Without getting deeply technical- how do you come to the bald statement...
12 Crops
21 Seasons. ??

I can understand 21 Seasons- just as I understand the four main winds that blow, the four Rivers, the four evangelists, four Gospels.... etcetcera; Why would the mirror of the number 21 =12 give you crops? Are you talking about the 12 days of return to chaos at the Winter Solstice? How is that Crops? Or do you mean actually 12 crops...Barley, Wheat, and so on.
I rather like this explanation of Card 12 (one constant in Tarot is that this card is always at 12)
1>>>Temporal>>> 12>>>Spiritual>>>>21
.....Duodecad.............triple triad.....
In cards give unto Caesar what is Caesars... Duodecad
and Give unto God what is Gods....Triple Triad.

For me this is intellectual exercising, which I enjoy- but truly I see a family photo album in the Visconti and everything else we have built on as purely coincidental- interesting and fascinating but coincidental; There are 22 lines in a handsome calligraphic script on each of the 365 pages, interspersed with 12 illustrations in a moralia from Lombardy- it does not make it a Calendar.

~Lorredan
The Universe is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper.
Eden Phillpotts

Re: Dee on the 21st Roman Letter

Lorredan wrote:.......For me this is intellectual exercising, which I enjoy- but truly I see a family photo album in the Visconti and everything else we have built on as purely coincidental- interesting and fascinating but coincidental; There are 22 lines in a handsome calligraphic script on each of the 365 pages, interspersed with 12 illustrations in a moralia from Lombardy- it does not make it a Calendar....
It does not make it a calendar.
But do you think that the number of pages in that moralia is a purely coincidental?

I'm curious:
Are the illustrations evenly spaced throughout?
(Don't read too much into this question.)
I am not a cannibal.

Eleusinian Wine

Lorredan wrote: Without getting deeply technical- how do you come to the bald statement...
12 Crops
21 Seasons. ??
~Lorredan
It’s my understanding that Dr. Dee believed numbers to be intermediary beings between spirit & matter. Meditating on the number 3, then, one would need consider the meanings of how 1 and 2 are combined. Tarot plays with number the same way - illustrating perspectives on 3 through trumps 12 and 21.

12 = 1+2 = 3
21 = 2+1 = 3

The Hanged Man we may equate with the cycle of the crops if we take him as a portrait of the Dying God. The cycle of the seasons is the other side of his equation, for it is by their rhythm that he is planted, grows, fruits and dies. And the seasons, in classical mythology, are an effect of the Fallen Goddess (his feminine counterpart). The World is made when a spark of the eternal light is cloaked in Form, making it heavy as lead (Saturn) so that she falls to the depths of creation.

The glyph for Saturn - a cross over a crescent - may be seen as a scythe marking out the limitations of measure in Form; or as a Cup containing the Soul (12: mem=water) in its Mortal Condition (21: tau=cross).
One way of looking at the Visconti World card is as a picture of this Cup, holding the affairs of humanity - cities, knights, commerce - within its Form.

To arrive at the Calendar I've been alluding to in other posts involves a series of operations one might describe as going from being contained within this Cup to becoming the one who bears it for the Gods.