Sir Michael Dummett : 27/06/1925 - 27/12/2011

"Sir Michael Dummett, who has died aged 86, was one of the greatest British philosophers of the 20th century. He was also an international authority on tarot cards, a campaigner for racial justice and a devoted family man. His wife, Ann, was a co-worker in his fight against racism and collaborated with him on a number of publications on the subject."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/de ... NETTXT9038
Immature poets imitate; mature poets steal; bad poets deface what they take, and good poets make it into something better, or at least something different.
T. S. Eliot

Re: Sir Michael Dummett : 27/06/1925 - 27/12/2011

The first tarot book I read was Dummett's "Il Mondo e l'Angelo". Recently, I have re-read a few chapters and I enjoy the book even more now (knowing something about tarot history) than I did when I first read it. I have been very lucky to meet tarot through the words of such an exceptional scholar. Sometimes I think that “tarot history” is an oxymoron: a foolish game like tarot is incompatible with serious historical science. Dummett's work demonstrates that this is not the case. If I cannot speak of tarot in a meaningful way, the problem is not in the subject (which, in spite of its name, is all but foolish).