Weird Old German Book and 17th Century Teaching Card Games

Veni, Vidi, Visconti!
A clean, well-lighted place for the exploration, comparison, and discussion of historical tarot decks (rather than individual cards), and other historical documents.

Re: Weird Old German Book and 17th Century Teaching Card Games

Postby dr bartolo on 05 Apr 2011, 09:44

[/quote]One thing of interest I discovered is this book-
which appears to be entirely about Divination with Chickens !
chickensign1.jpg

I would really like to see a translation of this book for one reason. I spent over 15 years reading ehtnographies and travel books and taking notes. I believe I was able to read about nearly every major tribe of pre-urban people on earth. I read books by most of the famous travelers, anthropologists and ethnographers, and many relatively unknown. I paid particular attention to things like magic and religion (Well, actually, this is because the writers paid particular attention to it. Had I been there I would have been more interested in things like their knots, their musical instruments, survival-lore, and child- rearing.).
One of the most common rituals around the world is divination with a chicken. (One of the most common performances is taking a chicken and cutting it's head off and tossing it in a sack and then pulling out a live chicken.)
!
chickensign2.jpg
[/quote]
divination with chickens- well, the practice is not at all unusual- it is called "aklectromancy" , and it involves making a circle, writing the letters of the alphabet on 26 segments into which the circle has been divided, and putting a grain of corn upon them. a chicken is set loose, and the chicken would eat certan grains of corn. the letters under which the grain of corn was placed would spell out the word
dr bartolo

Aliases: mond

Postby dr bartolo on 05 Apr 2011, 09:44

[/quote]One thing of interest I discovered is this book-
which appears to be entirely about Divination with Chickens !
chickensign1.jpg

I would really like to see a translation of this book for one reason. I spent over 15 years reading ehtnographies and travel books and taking notes. I believe I was able to read about nearly every major tribe of pre-urban people on earth. I read books by most of the famous travelers, anthropologists and ethnographers, and many relatively unknown. I paid particular attention to things like magic and religion (Well, actually, this is because the writers paid particular attention to it. Had I been there I would have been more interested in things like their knots, their musical instruments, survival-lore, and child- rearing.).
One of the most common rituals around the world is divination with a chicken. (One of the most common performances is taking a chicken and cutting it's head off and tossing it in a sack and then pulling out a live chicken.)
!
chickensign2.jpg
[/quote]
divination with chickens- well, the practice is not at all unusual- it is called "aklectromancy" , and it involves making a circle, writing the letters of the alphabet on 26 segments into which the circle has been divided, and putting a grain of corn upon them. a chicken is set loose, and the chicken would eat certan grains of corn. the letters under which the grain of corn was placed would spell out the word
dr bartolo

Postby mmfilesi on 05 Apr 2011, 13:56

LOL!

I dont know this funny Chickenmancy.

Thanks, dr bartolo!
When a man has a theory // Can’t keep his mind on nothing else (By Ross)
mmfilesi
lepiblogptero

Favorite Deck: Fiorentina
Aliases: marcos méndez

Postby dr bartolo on 05 Apr 2011, 15:11

Thank you.
as a matter of of interest, diviniation via human entrails is called "anthropomancy"
a bit off topic I guess......
dr bartolo

Re: Weird Old German Book and 17th Century Teaching Card Gam

Postby Huck on 08 Apr 2015, 07:08

British Museum:

Pack of 62 instructive playing-cards: Roman and German Emperors Uncoloured etching Backs printed with a pattern of blue stars 17th Century

Curator's comments:
Sixty-two portraits of emperors of Rome and Germany, down to Ferdinand III; each enclosed in an oval spandrel, with Latin title and motto and a German distich below. Though mounted as cards, they are illustrations to a book, a reference to which appears at the top of each card.

http://www.britishmuseum.org/research/c ... more-views

Huck

Re: Weird Old German Book and 17th Century Teaching Card Gam

Postby Huck on 14 Feb 2016, 16:54

A nice edition of the windkaart (see discussion viewtopic.php?f=14&t=646&p=9690&hilit=windkaart#p9690 ) ...

is at Gallica ...

http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b10508498m

... btw an interesting version of Father Time
Huck

Previous

Return to The Exhibition Gallery