Re: Cary Sheet again

SteveM wrote: "The first series shows a craftsman who drew largely from German sources (putting a St. John of the Master E. S. into the habit of the Libyan Sibyl).
(quote from papesse thread)

As the Italians used the Master E.S. engravings as models, lets have a few engravings by him:

Fool with Woman by Master E.S. c.1450/66 (With pattens!)

Playing Card of Man with Coat of Arms by Master E.S. c. 1465. What is that on his back? He is already wearing a hat! Reminds me of the 'straw hat' on the VS magician :-?

Playing card of King of Coat of Arms by Master E.S. c.1465

Playing Card of Man with Coat of Arms by Master E.S. c. 1465. What is that on his back? He is already wearing a hat! Reminds me of the 'straw hat' on the VS magician :-?
Looks like it and he's had it nearly 20 years :-s Whatever, that's his working hat for the Sunshine.

Interesting those beehive or hills I am sure Huck has shown those cards in the Chess theory.

Love all these engraving models you are posting!
Sure makes Tarot look in part astrological.

~Lorredan
The Universe is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper.
Eden Phillpotts

I think the musician's (drummer) is an example, though not one of the super long ones.

I thought the lover maybe too, there seems to be pointy line extention of his shoe.

They are from the Finiguerra school, in which we have an example already with Chassandra.
Last edited by SteveM on 08 Aug 2010, 12:11, edited 4 times in total.

Lorredan wrote: Do you mean to say there are some people who do not believe in the Monkey? Well I never. Maybe they need to be as blind as me and see things in inkblots and then use spectacles to confirm 8-|

~Lorredan
Catching up.... just want to confirm that I DO believe in The Monkey (just in case my somewhat cryptic/sarcastic? post was/is misunderstood...) :(|)

And IMHO Lorredan deserves a tarot medal for the Straw Hat discovery.

Pen
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy...

Ah Thanks Pen! @};-

Now I had had a thought about these hats- especially the Turbaned Monkey.
A turban is an obscure oriental headdress- we know more about these days than in Medieval times.
It was first found mentioned at the end of the 14th Century in Spain, from the gifts given to a Jewish boy- a fine linen Tiraz Turband from India. It was a 'noble Crown' of a Caliph and ceremonial for a wedding. In India it would have been called a Pagri.
The English name derives from Turband, tolibant or tulipant, all variations of the flower tulip, suggested by the design of the folds. It is not a religious Turban or even a spiritual headdress- it is a civil one, a political one.
The clearest attitude I can find to the Caliph's Turban- more rightly considered the Sultan's Crown was from
Manual II Paleologos (1391-1425) -that the siege of Constantinople -1422 the city’s great statesmen was heard to say “Better the Sultan’s turban than the cardinal’s hat”.
It seems to me that a monkey in a turban is somewhat later than we are thinking. Still working on it- as that problem with the word Bateleur and the eagle that was named the same.
~Lorredan
The Universe is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper.
Eden Phillpotts