Re: Dating the François Chosson Tarot?

Here and now I remember a post Yves did at ATF,there he said:

Hello all,

About Chosson françois here is my last information.
Another Chosson (Guillaume ) is also named for Marseille.

CHOSSON FRANCOIS (Cartier de 1734 à 1756/ Cardmaker from 1734 to 1756) His workshop location: Rue Saint Ferréol près de l’Opéra. Marseille.

Up to now no evidences that François Chosson was alive in 1672 or... in activity in 1762 ))
The Universe is like a Mamushka.

I had started out thinking Chosson was probably 1734, and while I don't really buy the 1672... I don't care really and if everyone else wants to go with it then that's okay with me. What I do feel pretty strongly about is that the Chosson, whether 1672 or 1734 or 1756 or most any other date we want to assign to him... is older than the Conver. The Conver is little more, as far as I can see, than a very close copy of an earlier deck... whether it was the Chosson or some other Tarot de Marseille II I couldn't say, but the Conver is late, not original in any way that I can think of, and I would think almost certainly later than the Chosson. I remember when I first saw the scans of the Chosson and compared them to the Conver, I was pretty convinced that the Chosson was older because of details in the cards... but what really struck me was how close a copy the Conver was. Anyway, I don't see any reason to think the Chosson to be younger than the Covnver.. regardless of the dating by any standard that has been brought up as far as I know.

EUGIM wrote:CHOSSON FRANCOIS (Cartier de 1734 à 1756/ Cardmaker from 1734 to 1756) [...] Up to now no evidences that François Chosson was alive in 1672 or... in activity in 1762 ))
I don't think there is any need for evidence that Chosson was alive in either of those dates. What is important in terms of the woodcut and the date(s) of 1672 (or 1872) is whether SELLON/Sallonetz was operating at those times, if, as we can work from (unless there is evidence that we should not accept the proposal earlier mentioned) - and on this Ross presents (very early in the thread):
Guilhen Sallonetz is mentioned with someone who seems to be his father or brother, Jacques Sallonetz, at the same time (1662).

Further in the list, there are others - Guillaume Sellon (1676-1715), Jacques Sellon (1676-1708), along with Jean-François Sellon (1676-1688) Antoine Sellon (1713-1715), and Claude-François Sellon (1730) - all in Marseille.
&
association.tarotstudies.org

I still favour the solution I found and OnePotato so briliantly illustrated - but to my dismay, just looking now, those illustrations are gone.

The gist of it is that Sellon's name was removed, and Chosson put in its place. The issue of what happened to the rest of the "6", if it was a 6, is not resolved. I hesitatingly suggest it broke/wore off. In any case, I think the plates were carved in 1672.

Ross

Hi guys.

Yes, all of my pictures came down when AOL stopped offering file hosting.
I've saved everything, but at this time I still haven't gotten a new host.

In the meantime, here are a couple of enlargements of the reconstructed date from Chosson.

I have no doubt that the date was "1672" before the block was damaged.
There is no other reasonable letter form that could be made from the remaining portion.
I am also reasonably certain that the word "Chosson" was carved by a different hand from the rest of the typography in the deck. Though I cannot swear that it was a later change from some other original word that occupied the position, I do believe that is a reasonable and logical conclusion.

Based on the evidence Ross presented in his earlier post, I think "Sellon" is an extremely good candidate for the original maker.
Last edited by OnePotato on 13 Apr 2009, 05:55, edited 1 time in total.
I am not a cannibal.