Adam de Hautot Tarot de Rouen

Good evening,

the two picture above are from Adam de Hautot Tarot de Rouen. A very loveable tarot, clearly a heir of Viéville just like Vandenborre's, but Hautot's drawings seem more affirmed than Vandenborre, and the choices to adapt the Vieville-like pattern seem more adapted to this drawing style.
The copy I visit regularly sits in the Musée de la carte à jouer in Issy-les-Moulineaux, sadly this copy has only 63 cards left from the 78 originals and several triumphs are missing ; there's also a copy documented in Depaulis' "Tarot, jeu et Magie" in the Temperley collection, 71 cards left and only numerals missing, but the only reproduced card that I don't know from Issy les Moulineaux is "Le Bateleux".
So are there other documented copies from this deck ? I seem to remember the mention of a complete Hautot's deck but can't remember where.

I would be oh so thankful if anyone can recommend directions to find reproductions from at least the triumphs serie. I'm particularly longing to see the Espagnol and Bacus from Hautot !

Bertrand

Re: Adam de Hautot Tarot de Rouen

Oh Bertrand, thank you for posting these. I find the AdH incredibly interesting, and would love to see as many images as you'd care to share. I'd very much like to explore this deck more deeply, especially by comparing the images to the Vieville and the Vandenborre. I think this is one of the most overlooked "traditions" in tarot history. Let's get to it!

robert wrote:Oh Bertrand, thank you for posting these. I find the AdH incredibly interesting, and would love to see as many images as you'd care to share. I'd very much like to explore this deck more deeply, especially by comparing the images to the Vieville and the Vandenborre. I think this is one of the most overlooked "traditions" in tarot history. Let's get to it!
Ditto! And the borders are the same as my favourite - Tarot de Paris.

Pen
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy...

Ross G. R. Caldwell wrote:
Bertrand wrote: I for one can't remember of any other deck with a skeleton on the judgement card.
I think you're right that it's unique in Tarot to have a skeleton coming up at the Resurrection.

But it isn't unique in art, see Signorelli's Resurrection -
http://www.fmschmitt.com/travels/Italy/ ... ection.jpg

I guess it is to make the point that they are long-dead just about to get their flesh back.
I think it is an artistic paraphrase of Ezekiel 37, Ezekiel's vision of the valley of dry bones.