Re: Joseph Henri Rochias ( 1816 )

robert wrote:I keep thinking this is connected to the "Swiss Tarot de Marseille", something Kenji said a few years ago. I'll see if I can find it. I think the JPP might be someone named Proiche or something like that. My memory is going. #-o
Found it.

It's from this thread on the "Swiss Tarot de Marseille" published by Il Meneghello:
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=44489

The deck is listed as being published by Jean Proche.

Now, Kenji came into the thread and said this about it:
Seeing the 2 of Coins so carefully...

you'll see the erased(?) inscription should have read;
"FAIT PAR JACQUE ROCHIAS A NEUCHATEL"

The logotype "JR" in the 4 of Coins stands for "Jacque(s) Rochias".
So this deck should be an ancestor of those by Gassmann and
Muller ("Tarot Classic").
So here we have a connection between Jacques Rochias and Jean Proche.

Now, notice the the Chariot in the Jacques Rochias?

:-bd

EUGIM wrote:Okay...
But just see the Kbight of coins,he is riding towards to the left.
Ive never seen another deck as this regarding to this card.
Do you know it ???
ROCHIAS - CAVALIER DE DENIERS.jpg
Well, I'd have to look through decks... but as everyone has been discussing everywhere.. it doesn't seem to matter much. It looks like cardmakers reversed cards often enough that we see them everywhere. I'm with JMD on this one, I think at this point, even if "most" cards face a certain way, it is nearly impossible to know what is oldest. I also agree that it makes sense to try to tell by what the traditional iconography would be.. for instance, the Pope would certainly almost always bless with his right hand, and as JMD said, swords would probably have been held in the right hand.

I don't think there is any "meaning" in which way a figure is facing beyond that. I agree it looks weird to have the knight going in this direction, as knights tend to go to the right, I think. :D

lamort wrote:
robert wrote:
EUGIM wrote:Well my hat off my Master !!!
I did n t take a look on the numerals ...
\:D/

Now, another mystery. What do you think the writing means on this card? :-?

http://lexic.ru/WWPCM/decks03/d01622/d01622hA.jpg
In the XV, on the ground, next to the acolytes, they appear the same initials that in the one of coups, ¨P¨ and the indecipherable symbol.
Check it out:

I'm not sure if I'm seeing the same thing as you are showing lamort? It's hard to tell if anything is there, but I am probably just tired and blind. :-B