Re: Filarete’s House of Virtue and Vice

Anyone who happened to read my last post before I posted this current one, should read the last part of that last one again, where I quote Filarete on the figure of virtue, as I changed some of what I said about that quote. I didn't realize initially that Filarete wrote two very similar passages about the same thing.

Re: Filarete’s House of Virtue and Vice

Thanks for the link to "The Egyptian Revival." It looks interesting. I quoted the attribution to Filelfo in Filarete already, in posting.php?mode=reply&f=12&t=881#pr12844. But I didn't have a page reference.

Thanks of course for agreeing with me. However I must make a slight correction. Looking again, I see that the quote about bees and their sting wasn't from Horapollo. It was from Ammianus , a Roman text that talked about hieroglyphs. I misread my earlier post (http://www.tarotforum.net/showpost.php? ... stcount=43). I have no independent proof that Filelfo had Ammianus. But Horapollo and Ammianus came to the attention of Poggio, Niccoli, and the other manuscript hunters in Florence around the same time. Filelfo probably had Ammianus as well as Harapollo.