The Song of Tarot

I was reading that the Medici of Florence, through Medici Bank in Bruges (1450's) ordered from a weaver in Lille six very large and elaborate (extremely expensive) Tapestries of Petrarch's Triumphs and same seven throned Virtues.
Gerrozzo de 'Pigh, a partner in the Bruges Bank assured his Patron that he had dealt with the greatest master in the Land and that he had well grasped the intention of the commission. Apparently when the commission was complete, along with spalliere (loungers) and cushions- all of Bruges flocked to see the artworks before they were shipped to Florence.
I was wondering how these huge tapestries were going to be displayed- The scheme of the layout; and I remembered
reading about Ambrogio Traversari. He was a member of the Monastery of Saint Maria Delgi Angeli in Florence, the Center of Music and Art (vernacular Music as well) and was the leading school of manuscript illumination in the 15th Century Florence. It is said that Traversari inherited from Petrarch the task of leading the battle for Western notions of the Trinity and liberating Latin learning from the 'heavy weight of Aristotlianism'. He was an ardent collector of classical texts and thought Christianity must gather the best of Classical Greek civilisation- to develop a viable Republic. This debate over whether it was legitimate to study pagan texts was a big part of the 1439 Council of Florence. Teversari, like Petrarch was ecumenical and republican in outlook and he emphasised that the notion of "Poetry" was essential to Truth, pointing out that Holy Scripture was essentially Poetry.He was a Humanist and Petrarchcan Humanists said about the usual literal translation of texts did not make sense and their standard was "not word for word translation,but to translate the meaning"
So I tried with Visconti Sforza cards to apply this to Tarot as a refletion of Poetry and the 1439 Council of Florence.
The rhyming scheme of Petrarch is ABBA ABBA CDECDE and Italian Sonnets are slight variations of this.
Here is one that has copied the Italian Sonnet-it is Milton.

When I consider how my light is spent (a)
Ere half my days, in this dark world and wide, (b)
And that one talent which is death to hide, (b)
Lodged with me useless, though my soul more bent (a)
To serve therewith my Maker, and present (a)
My true account, lest he returning chide; (b)
"Doth God exact day-labor, light denied?" (b)
I fondly ask; but Patience to prevent (a)
That murmur, soon replies, "God doth not need (c)
Either man's work or his own gifts; who best (d)
Bear his mild yoke, they serve him best. His state (e)
Is Kingly. Thousands at his bidding speed (c)
And post o'er land and ocean without rest; (d)
They also serve who only stand and wait." (e)
~Lorredan
The Universe is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper.
Eden Phillpotts

Re: The Song of Tarot

The Council Of Florence proclamation Document was called Laetentur Coeli and means
Let the Heavens Rejoice

So I will show you the scheme as if the VS Tarot cards were Tapestries and needed a Layout in Italian Sonnet order.
…….B………………………………....................................B………
Triumph of Christ……………………………….........Triumph of Fame

Proclamation Document for the Council of Florence 1439 “ Laetentur Coeli”
…………………….Let the Heavens Rejoice…………………………

..C……………………….D…………………………..E…..
Sun…………………….Moon………………………Star(also as Three Virtues Faith/Hope/Charity)
A. Temperance
B. Death
B. Hanged man
A. Fortitude
B.WOF
B.Hermit
A. Justice
B. Chariot
B. Lovers
A. Pope Prudence
C. Emperor
D.Empress
E. Papesse
C. Bateleur
The seven line subset of CDEC CDE is the question of the Sonnet and the Answer. So the Answer is at the top.
A is the Virtue and B is the Triumph in two parts. The Fool is the Isopermetric Theorem- O as an example of squaring the Circle- or Going from Stupid to Wise-covering the ground the most ecconomic way.

~Lorredan
The Universe is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper.
Eden Phillpotts

Re: The Song of Tarot

It is sad that the tapestries from the order mentioned above, can no longer be found.
Here is an example of what the Tapestry of Fame may have looked like. It is said to be circa 1502.
Looking the size- it would seem it is about a third the size of the Medici order from Lille.
So it seems that between 1430 and 1530 The 6 Triumphs and 7 Virtues were a very popular commission as far as Tapestry goes.
http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/works-of-art/1998.205
The 15th century seems preeoccupied with Morality depictions. The french seemed to like scenes of battles and in the 16th Century Hunt for the Unicorn and legends of Arthur etc.
None of the tapestries that remain seem to be of the giangantic size that the medici ordered.
~Lorredan
Eden Phillpotts