Re: What Are These Men Doing in Siena?

Darn it- the Tapestry replica by Jacquet d'Arras of the fresco was at the Palazzo Pubblico and I gave it only a cursory look. I cannot find a picture of it on the web. I guess I would see what the missing bit is from the replica- it was done approximately 80 years later than the fresco- and I think was hung outside on the walls during the Pallio.
(mutter mutter cuss and swear)
~Lorredan~
The Universe is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper.
Eden Phillpotts

Lorredan wrote:Darn it- the Tapestry replica by Jacquet d'Arras of the fresco was at the Palazzo Pubblico and I gave it only a cursory look. I cannot find a picture of it on the web. I guess I would see what the missing bit is from the replica- it was done approximately 80 years later than the fresco- and I think was hung outside on the walls during the Pallio.
(mutter mutter cuss and swear)
~Lorredan~
Thanks for that. It sent me on a chase for the tapestry too.

But it looks like what you saw might be a recreation, or a *very* recent rediscovery. According to Elizabeth Cleland, writing in Carol M. Richardson, ed., "Locating Renaissance Art: Renaissance Art Rediscovered" (Yale U. Press, 2007) p. 120, Jacquet d'Arras' tapestries were commissioned in 1447, but that "Unfortunately, the tapestries were plundered by Napoleonic troops in 1809 and their fate remains unknown."

I hope this link works for you -
http://books.google.com/books?id=ac_Bbk ... lt#PPA5,M1

If not, google "jacquet" and "siena" - it was the first link that came up for me.

More generally, if the fresco were in fact defaced on account of Bernardino's preaching, I wouldn't expect the tapestry to show the missing parts, since Bernardino died in 1444, and his major preaching activities stopped in the late '20s. So it was probably already damaged by the time Jacquet (Giachetto for the Italians) wove his version.

Ross

Gosh Thanks Ross, I have been emailing since I read this.
You are quite right the Tapestry is a modern one and apparently not that good. They have put glasses on a round table, where the damage is lol.
Apparently somewhere there are engravings of the fresco. I will attempt to find them.
No one has any idea when the damage was done- so I might come up lucky.
Thank you for the link- I will try and get hold of that book by the way...it looks like a great resource.
~Lorredan~
The Universe is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper.
Eden Phillpotts

Fantastic images - this is actually one of the ones I use for my pdf-course (week 13 on VIII Justice).

http://www.wga.hu/frames-e.html?/html/l ... /governme/

It's actually moved since I last looked and had linked it, so I too went on a chase.

Not much to add to the discussion.

With regards to the partially damaged image, it reminds me of another painting from, if I recall, also the 16th C. whereon is a round table with cards and dice, and adjacent a person has their palm read.

It was on exhibit in Melbourne at the National Gallery a few years ago, and will see if I can locate it. The overall image is of course quite distinct and presente for different purposes, just the overall image and its possible inclusion of both palm reading and cards & dice all can fit.
&
association.tarotstudies.org