Re: Talking just about Numerals here.

Lorredan wrote:Thinking of numbers as symbols that represent meanings other than counting items involves mostly two kinds of ideas of number.
One idea is that the sequential nature of numbers and how the growth from 1 to a larger number might be related to creation of some sort, for many creation myths use numbers to represent various stages of a creation story. My example is 1. Adam 2. Adam and Eve. etc etc.
The second idea is that numbers may be arrived at by observing the way numbers seem to recur in various aspects of the world. For example, many cultures observed that there was 12 to 13 moon cycles in a year. Astrology has to be counted neh?
True. Both of these factors have played an essential role in many aspects of number symbolism. There is a third type of symbolism however, that played an even more important role in the Classical tradition, and it's later offshoots. That is the mathematical 'behavior' of number. So much of European number symbolism is based around the arithmetical nature of number, the geometric nature of number, harmonic proportions, and so on. Circular numbers, perfect numbers, odds, evens, cube numbers, plane numbers, linear numbers, prime numbers and incomposite numbers, triangular numbers, spherical numbers, the musical ratios, and so on... For me, this is where the symbolism of number really shines, bringing, in many cases, as much rapture and profound apprehension to the modern, as it did to our ancestors in ancient times. Anyone needing proof of the sheer beauty of these ideas, go put on some Johann Sebastian B. and delight in number. :)

Lorredan wrote:Lets say Batons are air.(not that I do) by the time you have got to ten you have a gale which would be a big burden.
The four elements are symbols. Let's call them 'code words'. Just as Death is often shown as a walkin', dancin', talkin' skeleton, and no one takes the image literally. The terms Fire, Water, Air and Earth are convenient allegories for the general characteristics of the four basic ways energy can manifest. These of course are NOT actual fire, air, water, or earth, but descriptive allegories for types of behaviors (expanding, contracting, rising, falling, short, long, fast, slow, separating, binding, etc.). They shouldn't be taken literally. I've found the elemental symbols quite useful in all manners of things. Many aspects of this classical quaternary are still useful today, as evident in the Myers-Briggs typology, or modern physics' four states of matter - solid, liquid, gas and plasma.

Lorredan wrote:Thats how I see numbers- counting cards. They cannot be all one number, you would not have a Game.
Obviously, the historic facts of tarot as game, and the speculative activities based around giving this set of symbols a different level of interpretation for use as a divinatory or contemplative tool, are for the most part, separate. This may beg the question, whether or not the commandeering of cards, dice, or even dominos, for esoteric purposes is proper, but putting that issue momentarily aside, I'm sure most of us here are aware that card games like tarot were not designed to be used as divinatory mediums. This gives us a certain leeway in how much of the actual gaming rule and custom to incorporate into our re-interpretations of the deck, if we choose to reinterpret the cards at all.

RaH
When a clock is hungry, it goes back four seconds.

Going bckwards through your interesting post RaH!
This may beg the question, whether or not the commandeering of cards, dice, or even dominos, for esoteric purposes is proper,<snip>
I have wondered upon this exact thought myself...and in many ways often think of just using the images of the 22 instead of 78. Yet I know many who think that the 56 (so must use numbers alone I am thinking) are enough for reading. This question needs a thread of it's own.

I know the elements are allegorical- in fact I mostly see them as ..physics' four states of matter - solid, liquid, gas and plasma. although I did not think of this as modern physics- more like conditions of weather (within ourselves) the little climate lol. I see it oposite to the Humours in many ways- like how our thoughts can be quick cold steel and our bodies slow, sluggish in action.

I do not see the 22 as numbered in my head either. I see the images as triggers to a whole lot of stuff.
I do see the 56 as numbers however- I guess in a practical way as per the examples I gave. Ten for example is a whole handful of whatever -good or bad heavy or light.
In saying all that- I love the way you present ideas and I have found reading your posts RaH- that I am incorporating much into how I read. Not sure that I have a sure fire system like you though; wish I did- I paddle around.
~Lorredan~
The Universe is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper.
Eden Phillpotts

R.A. Hendley said "....That is the mathematical 'behavior' of number..."

Now this is an area I've been looking into - very, very interesting.
Sadly I'm no mathamatician (or speller...). but the amount and diversity of these 'arithmetical natures' seems more than sufficient to employ in a tarot/card reading.

Unfortunatly many of these numbers (circular numbers, weird numbers, cube numbers etc) exceed the number 10 - and the card pips only amount to 10. But I think a mathmatician might be able to 'tweak' some of these principles. Any offers?

Bee (Hopeful :) )

RaH, i am so glad someone else brought up a method where the numerals are associated with the elements.

I take this method a step further, though, by using elemental dignities. I also assign a number to the courts, in that the Page is 11; Knight, 12; Queen 11; and King, 14.

I got this idea from the Minchiate sequence of the elemental cards, where fire is 20; water, 21; earth, 22; and air, 23. Notice that Fire is either 4 or a multiple of 4; water is a multiple of 4 plus 1; earth is a a multiple of 4 plus or minus 2; and air is a multiple of 4 minus 1.

There are no assigned meanings, per se, just feeling of strenghts and weaknesses, egos and insecurities, if you will.

water + earth = air (clouds) = confusion, insecurity, fear
water + air = fire (lightning) = instability, growth
earth + air = water (dew) = conflict, infighting, discourse
earth + fire = air (smoke) = potential energy, stillness, "prana"
fire+ water = earth (ash) = weakness, absence, restarting (?)
air+ fire = fire (more fire) = sustenance, raw power, energy

air + air = height of intellectual activity
fire + fire = height of physical activity
water + water = height of emotional activity
earth + earth = height of mundane or pleasurable activity

NB: In this system, "Ace" does not equal "One".

In a table, it looks like this:

Remember these designations only give me an overall feeling to a reading and not so much "set meanings" in and of themselves.

For example, in a (fake) reading the Two of Cups and Page of Swords is pulled:

2 of Cups ("Two of Air", if you will)shows a conflict between two things (people?) as two is earth and the cups (insert suit to accommodate taste here) are "air". But at least they are talking. There is no animosity between the two because the number is low in sequence. "Nothing ventured nothing gained." "A family who fights together stays together."

11 (Page) of Swords ("Eleven of Water", if you will)indicates confusion or misinformation (a page or message?) as 11 is "air" and the swords (insert suit to accommodate taste here) are "water". These two cards together could mean that someone, while in a seemingly pleasant discourse with a loved one or friend, is being misled intentionally or misunderstanding the situation entirely.

Note how the Page looks on to the Two of Cups. Can you say "attitude" (with two snaps up?!) One on the outside looking in can say, "up-to-no-good". And since these two cards alone, and their elemental interpretations, do not a reading make, possibly a third person adding to a situation that would otherwise be under control. Judging by the pleasant-looking Two of Cups in the scan, a child perhaps could be at issue, confusing and heating up the overall atmosphere, as air and water make for lightning and much heat.

Yes, but with elements, you also have masculine and feminine, ergo (following [partly] the Spanish Esoteric school of thought):

Fire = Active/masculine (swords, wands, or coins)

Air = Passive/masculine (swords, wands, or cups)

Water = Active/feminine (cups or swords)

Earth = Passive/feminine (swords, coins or wands)

My point being, with a numerically based elemental system, it should not matter which suit "gets" which element.

ETA: because I screwed up the symbologies :|
Last edited by firecatpickles on 12 Jul 2008, 17:51, edited 3 times in total.