Re: Plato and Virtue(s)

Ummmmmmm.......arghhhhhh Aquinas thought women misbegotten. Then again he admired Aristotle.
In that thread of the Marriage Contract I did not speak of the amazing calculations of proportions, and mathmatical gymnastics that went to formulate Dowry and property for a noble wedding. How golden mean you could be :ymdevil: when deciding how much trouseau one should gift etc. There is apparently heaps of information on the arithmetic out there which I would never understand anyway. Plato would have.
As to your comment about deciding on Plato because of the Virtues been too narrow (3 cards?) It seems a big part of Tarot.
Aquinas was a Hound of God (Dominican)so he had access to all the Church had regarding Plato and he hated Paganism. The Church had amazing amounts of manuscripts to hold, to stop information getting out there. Not the Dan Brown stuff- but any thought written in opposition to it's power.

How about someone trying to explain Tarot mathmatics in which I am definetely misbegotten.
Saint Thomas did speak of harmony if we could all believe in the same God. Sounds like Tarot research to me.
Loved the essay parts on Giotto- many thanks for that.
~Lorredan
The Universe is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper.
Eden Phillpotts

I've been out of town, away from computers, have some catching up to do.

Huck wrote, with reference to Alberti's "On Virtue":
This sounds very interesting. Is the text online?
Well, I just took my copy from out of my back pocket, somewhat the worse for wear, and scanned it for you.
So now it's online:

The first page, p. 21 of Dinner Pieces, is at

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-mZBhoqvO_TA/T ... rtue21.jpg

The next page, p. 22, is at

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-GKfXMXKOieU/T ... rtue22.jpg

There are some passages of p. 22 that are fairly blurry. It starts:
my clothes were torn to tatters, and I was left lying in the mud while the mob left in triumph.
Let me know if there are other words you can't read.

The footnotes are at:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-lATHlD6LMts/T ... and229.jpg

mikeh wrote: Let me know if there are other words you can't read.
No, I can read all. Is there a date for the text? ... of Alberti I mean.

I found just today a picture:

http://www.baldwin.co.uk/media/cms/auct ... MEDALS.pdf

A medal 1556, for Isabella Rammi (or Rami), wife of a Francesco d'Este (I don't know, who this both persons are).
One figure is given as Fortune (plausible), the other as a woman in "bad mood" or similar. Virtue? Isabella I saw called "daughter of a cardinal".

I was astonished to find, that Alberti was pupil of Barzizza, who was also teacher of Vittorino da Feltre (likely earlier) and to Angelo Decembrio (later in Milan). Barzizza was hired by Filippo Maria Visconti to install an elementary school in Milan since 1418.
Huck
http://trionfi.com

I didn't know the name Barzizzi. Thanks, Huck. I think that the dinner pieces were written in the 1430s and 1440s. I will look in the book's introduction the next time I'm at the library.

Perhaps the lady on the medal is Virtue. She looks rather like the Virtue-lady in "Jupiter painting butterflies."

Huck, your "Parnassus" painting isn't Parnassus. Parnassus is in the right background. But the scene itself is on Mount Helicon, as Campbell points out in the Cabinet of Eros chapter on that painting. We know it's Helicon by Pegasus, who created the Hippocrene Spring with his hoof. Campbell says it's a painting designed to stimulate adulatory poems by Isabella's courtiers. They obliged with poems comparing her to Venus. Mars would then be her husband Francesco Gonzaga, as the courtiers' poems proclaimed, earning the comparison through having been the hero of the battle at the Taro River. Their union produces Harmonia, the harmony of the scene below them. I assume that the net-hurling Vulcan would be Mantegna himself, jealously "capturing" her for himself on canvas.

Interlibrary Loan finally sent me the book Mantegna and 15th century court culture, which has the article analyzing the Pallas painting. The relevant two pages are below.

I don't know if this low-resolution scan will be readable or not. In the preview, it's pretty blurry. Here is a higher resolution version.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-BzfjM-pYVEw/T ... nd69LG.jpg

The author, Nicholas Webb, complains of the difficulty of interpreting such a painting that has no program attached to it. He does a fair job of defending the view that Pallas represents prudence, I think. He is more cautious about "mother of the virtues." But the last sentence of the last paragraph on p. 69 is telling: "Two commonplaces of Renaissance moral philosophy were that prudence governs the other virtues and is itself subject to wisdom." That seems to me correct, and to lead to the conclusion that wisdom, i.e. sapientia, is probably the mother of the virtues in the painting.

On the next page, p. 70, he seems to complicate things again, pointing out that G. Reisch's Margarita philosophica was in a 1542 inventory of Duke Federico Gonzaga, first published 1503, which quotes Aquinas as having prudence as the mother of the virtues. But this is in the context of the 1531 painting, not the one we're concerned with. Here is the relevant text:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-rpDQlqNTpXA/T ... 0and71.jpg

The beginning of this article is also of interest, for someone interested in Alberti. It seems that there was another Momus, the other done in Mantua in the 1490s. It is not as interesting as Alberti's, Webb says. As for Alberti's, Webb says that Filelfo thought that Alberti was satirizing him in the character of Momus. Here is the relevant text:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-PZqv2JyU3s4/T ... nd57LG.jpg

While I am mentioning odd things, I should add that I've been reading Alberti's Momus. After being kicked out of Olympus, he begets the goddess Fama, who wreaks havoc on earth. The sense of "Fama" here is equivalent to the English "Rumor", and that is how the translator translates it.

And one other thing: I recently read, in Lucrezia Borgia by Sarah Bradford, that Alfonso d'Este is shown clean-shaven on his wedding medallion. That suggests that he may have been clean-shaven in 1491, too, and so not the person on the Sola-Busca 2 of Coins. Have you seen that wedding medallion, or any portrait closer to 1491?

mikeh wrote:I didn't know the name Barzizzi. Thanks, Huck. I think that the dinner pieces were written in the 1430s and 1440s. I will look in the book's introduction the next time I'm at the library.
Barzizza with influence on Vittorino da Feltre (and his more advanced pedagogical model) is without doubt interesting.
Martiano da Tortona was also involved in a school project (I've only spurious information) and somehow he gave this to Pietro Lapini di Montalcino, an early astrologer of Filippo Maria Visconti. I wonder, how Barzizzi and Martiano might have interacted.
See the very interesting, more or less unsolved context: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=489

There are persons mentioned, who really worked on the Trionfi of Petrarca, on Petrarca and on Trionfi cards ... quite in contrast to persons, who only have a suspicion to have worked on one of the themes.

That Alberti was also involved, makes it more interesting. Angelo Decembrio with his elder brother Pier Candid is another interesting detail.
Barzizza worked for Pope Martin (during the council ?), who was chosen at the council. The he met Filippo Maria Visconti 1418. Pope Martin went straight away to Filippo Maria, so Barzizza likely accompanied him as part of the delegation. Poggio had found the Manilius manuscript (Roman astrology) during the council in a cloister library. Likely one can say, that the Manilius manuscript is part of the inspirations, which helped the Michelino deck to come to existence.
Pietro Lapini di Montalcino was also in Constance, as physician of John XXIII. From there he also found the way to Filippo Maria Visconti.

This is really a hotbed of interesting influences. One has to see, that Filippo Maria Visconti wasn't all the time apart from the public, as he was later. This "closed phase" is said to have started with the year 1421.
Huck, your "Parnassus" painting isn't Parnassus. Parnassus is in the right background. But the scene itself is on Mount Helicon, as Campbell points out in the Cabinet of Eros chapter on that painting. We know it's Helicon by Pegasus, who created the Hippocrene Spring with his hoof. Campbell says it's a painting designed to stimulate adulatory poems by Isabella's courtiers. They obliged with poems comparing her to Venus. Mars would then be her husband Francesco Gonzaga, as the courtiers' poems proclaimed, earning the comparison through having been the hero of the battle at the Taro River. Their union produces Harmonia, the harmony of the scene below them. I assume that the net-hurling Vulcan would be Mantegna himself, jealously "capturing" her for himself on canvas.
Wiki gives Parnassus as "common name", but explains ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parnassus_%28Mantegna%29
The traditional interpretation of the work is based on a late 15th century poem by Battista Fiera, which identified it as a representation of Mount Parnassus, culminating in the allegory of Isabella as Venus and Francesco II Gonzaga as Mars.
In a clearing under the arch is Apollo playing a zither. Nine Muses are dancing, in an allegory of universal harmony. According to ancient mythology, her chant could generate earthquakes and other catastrophes, symbolized by the crumbling mountains in the upper left. Such disasters could be cared by Pegasus' hoof: the horse indeed appears in the right foreground. The touch of his hoof could also generate the spring which fed the falls of Mount Helicon, which can be seen in the background. The Muses danced traditionally in wood of this mount, and thus the traditional naming of Mount Parnassus is wrong.
... .-) ... it's not mine Parnussus

The author, Nicholas Webb, complains of the difficulty of interpreting such a painting that has no program attached to it. He does a fair job of defending the view that Pallas represents prudence, I think. He is more cautious about "mother of the virtues." But the last sentence of the last paragraph on p. 69 is telling: "Two commonplaces of Renaissance moral philosophy were that prudence governs the other virtues and is itself subject to wisdom." That seems to me correct, and to lead to the conclusion that wisdom, i.e. sapientia, is probably the mother of the virtues in the painting.
hm ...

http://aworldofmyths.com/Greek_Gods/Metis.html

Metis is probably the equivalent to Roman Sapientia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metis_%28mythology%29

She was the first spouse of Zeus. Zeus swallowed her cause an oracle, that a son of Metis might be stronger than Zeus himself. Then he got a headache. Hephaistos helped and Athena jumped out, full in armor and with weapons.

The second wife was Themis (Justice), an aunt. She got 3 daughters ... (the other 3 virtues ?).

My private "Momus" about a conference of some unknown poets long ago, who discussed the question, how many children Zeus should have:
64 ... the half (32) daughters and the other half (also 32) sons. He should pair 16 times with goddesses, and 16 times with human mortal women. As the goddesses were a little more potent than the humans, they got 42 children and the humans got 22.

No. 64 (one as to count from above) Athena
No. 63-61: Three daughters of Themis
No. 60-51: 10 children of Rhea (5 daughters and 5 sons)
No. 50: from Leto: Artemis (it took 9 nights before Apollo was born)
No. 49-41: from Mnemosyne the 9 Muses (it took 9 nights)
No. 40 or Nr. 49: Apollo
.... (lost manuscript)
No. 1: Herakles

Herakles' birth had specific conflicts. For instance there was suddenly a motherless daughter Ate (which somehow means something like "NO" in contrast to to the "YES" of Zeus) and Eileithiya (goddess of child bed) also participated, and it also was wondered, how Eris could be called the twin sister of Ares.
And there were different political conflicts, upcoming new Greek cities also desired to have a local hero as "son of Zeus".
So, after all, we find more than 64 Zeus-children. Plans don't stay, what they are. So you have 78 Tarot cards, although (likely) once there had been versions with less.

So, joke aside, Metis was in the original the mother of Athena.
And Ate, the "NO", was thrown out of the Olymp. The question of "to be or not to be" was to difficult for the Olympic myth.
And true Prudentia is likely to be relaxed in the evaluation of mythological details ... :-) ...
The beginning of this article is also of interest, for someone interested in Alberti. It seems that there was another Momus, the other done in Mantua in the 1490s. It is not as interesting as Alberti's, Webb says. As for Alberti's, Webb says that Filelfo thought that Alberti was satirizing him in the character of Momus. Here is the relevant text:

Yes, that's indeed interesting. Filarete's text, however, is from much later than 1451.
I don't have data, when Filelfo was fully accepted by the Sforza court. I found this (from the English Momus edition)
http://books.google.de/books?id=2ZNcrOc ... us&f=false

Also this:
http://books.google.de/books?id=tjJ8VbF ... us&f=false

Filelfo was 18, when he left Padova, and Alberti was 12. And I wonder, how much relation between an 18-years-old and a 12-years-old really might have existed.
While I am mentioning odd things, I should add that I've been reading Alberti's Momus. After being kicked out of Olympus, he begets the goddess Fama, who wreaks havoc on earth. The sense of "Fama" here is equivalent to the English "Rumor", and that is how the translator translates it.
There's a similar take of Fama in Chaucer's text, where Fama has a relation to Aeolus. Aeolus (Fama ?)was then in the Michelino deck, followed by Daphne (Chastity ?) and Amor (Love) ... all Petrarca values. Hercules as "Time" (Hercules is an astronomer) is not impossible and above the 12 gods as "Eternity" seems also not totally impossible.
And one other thing: I recently read, in Lucrezia Borgia by Sarah Bradford, that Alfonso d'Este is shown clean-shaven on his wedding medallion. That suggests that he may have been clean-shaven in 1491, too, and so not the person on the Sola-Busca 2 of Coins. Have you seen that wedding medallion, or any portrait closer to 1491?
No, I haven't seen. But I see no reason to assume there problems for the Sola Busca identification. Actually a beard grows quickly.
Huck

Huck wrote:
mikeh wrote:I didn't know the name Barzizzi. Thanks, Huck. I think that the dinner pieces were written in the 1430s and 1440s. I will look in the book's introduction the next time I'm at the library.
Barzizza with influence on Vittorino da Feltre (and his more advanced pedagogical model) is without doubt interesting.
Martiano da Tortona was also involved in a school project (I've only spurious information) and somehow he gave this to Pietro Lapini di Montalcino, an early astrologer of Filippo Maria Visconti. I wonder, how Barzizzi and Martiano might have interacted.
See the very interesting, more or less unsolved context: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=489
You don't want the word "spurious" - it means "false" or "misleading". You might want "sketchy", "incomplete", or "unsure".

This quote: "Marziano (da Tortona) morì nel 1425, lasciando il suo pupillo a Pietro Lapini da Montalcino, che era stato medico dell’anti-papa Giovanni XXIII, e che per Filippo Maria svolse anche missioni diplomatiche, insegnando a Pavia", means that the writer thinks that Marziano was Filippo Maria's teacher, and at his death "left" him in the intellectual care of Pietro Lapini da Montalcino.

Marziano da Tortona died in 1425, leaving his pupil to Pietro Lapini da Montalcino, who had been the physician of the anti-Pope John XXIII, and who also performed diplomatic missions, teaching in Pavia.

While Marziano may have died in 1425, he may also have died before; I think the last actual evidence of him while alive dates to 1423, then there is another document which talks about him in the past tense, or about his estate, I'm not sure of the date. I'll have to look that up.

The "teacher" part is because Decembrio states that Marziano read - explained, interpreted - Dante for Filippo Maria, and we know that Lapini wrote a commentary on the Canzoniere for him. It seems a bit overstating the case to call FM Visconti either man's "pupil"; they were savants who discussed works important to him, it's not like he was attending school lessons.

Ross G. R. Caldwell wrote: You don't want the word "spurious" - it means "false" or "misleading". You might want "sketchy", "incomplete", or "unsure".
Yes, you corrected me earlier with this, I remember ... :-) ... it's difficult to get wrong words out of the head.
Marziano da Tortona died in 1425, leaving his pupil to Pietro Lapini da Montalcino, who had been the physician of the anti-Pope John XXIII, and who also performed diplomatic missions, teaching in Pavia.
Maybe ... this would be a very simple idea and well understandable without any mystery. I'm puzzled about the condition, that my wordbook doesn't give simply "pupil" for pupillo, but gives words, which indicate a more dependent state like "fosterling", which indeed wouldn't fit with a mightiest man in Italy and more than 30 years old.
And indeed Lapini changed from an ambassadore/astrologer/physician profession to a scientific teacher in Pavia, so "away from Filippo Maria".

Added: Well, I don't have an idea, where Filippo Maria have been mostly ... maybe in Pavia?
Huck

Sorry about foisting Parnassus on you, Huck. And thanks for the observation that Sforzinda was considerably later than Momus. Possibly Filelfo had been theorizing about an ideal city before then, before 1450, but if so Webb gives no evidence. He writes as though the Filarete's treatise had already been written by then.

Ross asked early on about the fleeing figures in the background of Pallas Expelling the Vices. The art historian who comments on them the most is Verheyen (The Paintings in the Studiolo of Isabella D'Este, p. 35);
In the background (pl. 18) fleeing vices are depicted in the midst of a clearing where new branches are growing from old roots. This motif reveals its full meaning of regeneration through its close juxtapostiion with the triumphant genius.
The background figures are all female, judging from the breasts. The stumps, then, are to suggest that vice despoiled not only the garden but the surrounding territory. I suspect that they are also a dig at Venice, which notoriously cut down the beautiful forests of the northern Veneto, over the protests of the inhabitants, to make lumber for its galleys, as I have read somewhere.

Verheyen's "genius" is the winged figure whose torches are to the left of the fleeing figures, whom he sees as on the side of Minerva. Another historian, Lightblown, in Mantegna p. 205, takes the opposite position, identifying that figure as part of the satyr's crew, showing "the contrast between the fair outward nature of love and its true inner beastliness"! Well, that's another issue. These paintings are like tarot cards, clear on the surface, ambiguous in detail, even if you figure out possible references. Likewise, on this painting, Verheyen, Lightbown, and Campbell are like Thesis, Antithesis, Synthesis.

In this connection, I cannot resist quoting Webb p. 67, for a general statement on how to see this kind of art:
Equicola described the complement of words and images in the figura additis litteris as a clarification for the learned and a and a covering for the ignorant...The laconic communication of mottoes and verbal symbols operates like the ideographic language of hieroglyphics. A humanist friend of Equicola in Mantua pointed out that hieroglyphs could be read on several levels. He drew attention specifically to the moral messages to be found in their occult meanings. Their bizarre visual appearance helped the message to be retained in the memory. Relatively straightforward impresa messages or personal symbolism could be reinforced by elaborate visual allegory in the same way. [Footnote: The distinction between an enciphered message which is unintelligible in appearance and an intelligible message which has a different meaning to that immediately understood by the sign has been made by D.P. Walker, 'Esoteric symbolism', in Poetry and Poetics from ancient Greece to the Renaissance. Studies in honor of James Hutton, ed., G.m. Kirkwood, Ithaca, N.Y. 1975, 218-32, at 218-219. The Pythagorean symbols and hieroglyphics belong in the second category in so far as their actual meaning is distinct from their apparent 'naturalistic' meaning. The 'humanist friend' of Equicola is G. B. Pio, who talks about hieroglyphs in his Anntationes of 1496, fols. 108r_v.]
Here is my scan of the full text:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-mTvZu6zmZGM/T ... 6and67.jpg

I discussed Walker on hieroglyphs at some length on the thread "The Renaissance Concept of Hieroglyphs". Tarot cards mostly would fit in the second category, although they have elements of the first. I don't think the two types were in practice kept separate: typically the meanings of tarot cards are in part obvious (for the hoi polloi) and in part hidden or obscure, or so I imagine. The painting is similar in that regard.

Webb's context for mottoes and impresa includes Isabella's motto Nec spe nec metu (neither hope nor fear), which of course appears on one of the Victoria and Albert tarot cards (viewtopic.php?f=11&t=500&p=6747&hilit=nec+spe#p6747). Equicola published a book of that title in 1505 (?). Webb's very next sentence after the passage above is of interest:
Isabella d'Este certainly certainly enjoyed the range of literary references Equicola had brought to bear on Nec spe nec mutu as can be seen from her letter of May 1506 to Margherita Cantelmo, the Duchess of Sora, who seems first to have put the tag into circulation.
One other point gleaned from my reading: Lightbown gives the reference for the idea that the "mother of the virtues" is Truth. It is Philostratus, who says that Truth is the "Mother of Virtue." But he rejects that view, noting that Philostratus speaks of Virtue in the singular, not the plural. There is also the question of whether Isabella's circle knew Philostratus in manuscript, as it wasn't published until 1503. Campbell says (p. 208)
The Imagines was well known to Italian readers of Greek in the fifteenth century, although the three separate Latin translations which survive from the late quattrocento do not appear to have had a wide diffusion. The editio princeps was produced by Aldus in 1503, following which it came to the attention of the literary circle around Isaella d'Este.
Last edited by mikeh on 01 Jun 2012, 00:39, edited 1 time in total.

One other point gleaned from my reading: Lightbown gives the reference for the idea that the "mother of the virtues" is Truth. It is Philostratus, who says that Truth is the "Mother of Virtue." But he rejects that view, noting that Philostratus speaks of Virtue in the singular, not the plural. There is also the question of whether Isabella's circle knew Philostratus in manuscript, as it wasn't published until 1503. Campbell says (p. 208)
The Imagines was well known to Italian readers of Greek in the fifteenth century, although the three separate Latin translations which survive from the late quattrocento do not appear to have had a wide diffusion. The editio princeps was produced by Aldus in 1503, following which it came to the attention of the literary circle around Isaella d'Este.
If it is true, that the Philostratus appeared in print in 1503, it seems natural to assume, that Isabella's circle already knew about it earlier. A picture of 1502 referring to "Veriatas is the mother of virtue" before the printing date isn't so astonishing. Isabella d'Este knew Pietro Bembo (from Venice), who is said to have had a love affair with Lucrezia already in 1502/03. Well, that's the time after the wedding. And Isabella knew likely other authors, who could report, what appeared in print in the next year in Venice.
Also the courts distributed impulses, what should be interesting and which should be printed. Or they sponsored works and authors.
Authors and Publishers still today know, what's inside their books, which will in some future. One cannot take the "printing date" as the "first appearance".
Huck