Re: Absalom and the Sola Busca Three of Swords

mikeh wrote:I am loving this thread. It is so thought-provoking.

I have been dying to read Hurst's notes on the SB but have not known how to access them. I still don't, even with this link. How does one go from that all inclusive page to the particular posts of Hurst's that we're interested in?
Hi Mike.

If you enter the URL below into the search box, Michael's Tarot Notebook should load.

http://geocities.com/cartedatrionfi

Try this one for the Sola Busca Pages, or else go to Fragments on the list on the Home Page - I think the Sola Busca link is on page 3:

http://web.archive.org/web/200602082154 ... Busca.html
mikeh wrote: So that is my current suggestion: the heart, symbolizing the human soul at its best (the saints in ecstasy), pierced by the Trinity, a wounding that is also a victory.
I think that sounds good. I'm sure it's victory that's depicted rather than sorrow - it feels like a very positive card.

I'm really enjoying your Sola Busca Pips thread...

Pen
Last edited by Pen on 18 Nov 2010, 13:54, edited 1 time in total.
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy...

cadla wrote:
Pen wrote:I'm re-reading The Harlot by the side of the Road by Jonathan Kirsch. It's about the forbidden stories in the bible - the difficult ones that have tended to be swept under the carpet.
AND Miss Penelope, guess what book the library has given me to read? Yup, they actually got it in after I ordered it, and it looks very good. As you say, not quite the sensationalist junk one might expect but a really interesting treatment.
Cadla, we were posting at the same time. Hope you enjoy The Harlot...!

Pen

mikeh wrote:Thanks, Pen. The first link in your previous post didn't work for me; but the second did. Does it cover the sum of his observations? I notice that he has nothing on the number cards. Also, I can't get to the "tea" site for the Sola-Busca that various people, including Hurst, refer to.
It's very odd how some links work and others don't. I think they want you to go through the Wayback Machine (click the tiny link at the bottom of the defunct yahoo page the first link takes you to), and enter the original URL (http://geocities.com/cartedatrionfi) in the search box rather than access the pages directly. Once on the white page with the list of blue links, click on the first (Jan 25th 2004), which should take you to Michael's home page. Some of the links in the list on the home page are not working.

Re. Tea Prentice's site, all the image links are broken and I can't access any information either. I did a search but the site (Sola Busca Tarot Information) doesn't seem to exist online - we're only accessing it via the Wayback Machine. There's a mention of Tea on tarotpedia but only two SB B&W images.

I couldn't find anything re. the number cards on Michael's Tarot Notebook site, but that doesn't mean there are no pages...

Pen

Michael has added some pages to his blog recently and there are a few direct links to some old Notebook pages on the most recent page (Bring Out Your Dead!, Nov. 2nd 2010)

Here they are:

The Riddle of Tarot (archived 9/19/2004)

The Riddle of Tarot (archived 12/23/2007)

The Middle Trumps (archived 8/23/2005)

Re. Tea Prentice's site, all the image links are broken and I can't access any information either. I did a search but the site (Sola Busca Tarot Information) doesn't seem to exist online - we're only accessing it via the Wayback Machine. There's a mention of Tea on tarotpedia but only two SB B&W images.
It still exists (surprisingly) and can be found at:
http://www.lightspeed.ca/personalpage/h ... a/sola.htm

Keep in mind that I put the page up going on 13 years ago, and a lot has happened since then. I just did back then what a lot of you are doing now and that was to muse out loud. At the time when I got the deck, there was very little information about it (particularly the trumps) and really all I could find was small mentions of how it influenced the Rider-Waite deck. I started trying to look things up and posted what I found and what I was thinking (not too deeply) on the website and hoped that others would correct and/or add to it.

I have enjoyed reading the thread you've got going on the SB minors. One question that came to mind while reading it (I'm good at asking questions, not so much at giving answers) was how can one be so sure that those are cherubs being depicted and not simply putti?

Fantastic to be reading what folks are digging up. Enjoying it very much :)

Tea

Huck wrote:
Tea wrote:
It still exists (surprisingly) and can be found at:
http://www.lightspeed.ca/personalpage/h ... a/sola.htm

Fantastic to be reading what folks are digging up. Enjoying it very much :)

Tea
Welcome, Tea. It's nice to find one of the older names of "Tarot History in the web" here. Your research to the Sola Busca was a good work and opened new ways.
Hello Tea,
I completely agree with Huck! Your research has been very important. As far as I know, you have been the first one to try and make sense of the Sola Busca trumps looking for their origin in ancient history sources. I am glad to finally have a chance to express my gratefulness to you :)

Marco

Pen wrote:Here's the image and text from Cardiomorphoseos.

One Strike is not Enough - thanks Steve.

Here is my translation of the text:

One strike is not enough

Know how much the divine piety obliges towards parents: read and tremble. The history of the wretched adolescent Absalom who was irreverent towards his father is well known (Kings, 2 c. 18).

David loved him exceedingly: the monster replied to love with stubbornness and hate. God was disgusted by a beast of such ungratefulness: he ordered that the wicked son, his heart pierced by a triple spear, be hanged from his own hair; he was to die and fall to hell. Read on sons, and be terrified. Listen to the voice of the Apostle; “sons, obey to your fathers”: be afraid if you think the deviant steps of the incautious are prudent. A vengeful god threatens, if you (as degenerate as Brutus) do not love and honour your parents. This is tightly ordered by God in the fourth commandment; also a punishment of endless centuries. “The eye that mocks his own father, and that despises the birth of his own mother, will be extracted by the ravens coming from the torrents, and will be devoured by the sons of the eagle”. These were the menaces by Salomon (Proverbs 30 17).

Also, in a village church in Monferrato (I heard of this) this was recently seen during the public burial of a defiant son: ravens entered the church and removed his unworthy eyes from the corpse.