Re: The Tower XV1 and the Devil XV - connection?

Would not the interpretation in part depend on the image at which we are looking?

Certainly in some early decks, the depiction is more akin to an opening into the dungeons of hell (or purgatory). With the Tarot de Marseille-type, however, it seems to be far more clearly a depiction of the destruction of 'false idols' (as per pseudo-infancy gospels).

In that light, there is indeed a connection between the preceding card (Devil) and this one, but perhaps not in the manner at first thought: Here one is faced with a view that even the infant passing through realms perhaps considered under the 'rule' of the Devil can be liberated by the light of truth and heaven's purgation.
&
association.tarotstudies.org

An interesting possibility. The falling figures do resemble the "fall of idols", though they are usually depicted falling from a pedestal or pillar (and usually with the holy family doing a 'drive by' on an ass ;) ). Judging from the earliest known 'Tower' cards, the Estensi, the Italian sheet fragments in the Budapest Museum of Fine Arts (Kaplan II. p. 271-278), the falling figures seem to me to simply be an embellishment peculiar to that one pattern (Tarot de Marseille). Excluding the Vieville, Parisian Tarot, and the Minchiate, the tower and the lightning seem to be the central focus.

I've never seen the 'Tower' card from the Geofroy pack. Does it have a tower and/or figures?

RaH
When a clock is hungry, it goes back four seconds.

...you mean... like this ;) ?

(clicking on it will take you to a higher resolution image - from a petroglyph on Amiens Cathedral)

.... or perhaps... like:

(again, clicking will take you to a larger image, this one from Moissac)

Both of these, by the way, form the main part of my Maison Dieu page for a project I never completed on cathedral carvings and trumps.

What's interesting here is that the two main forms of the card image are in some manner included by the depiction, including the Vieville with the shepherd by a tree with herd.
&
association.tarotstudies.org

VI - Meton & Euctemon - XV
Solstice gnomon tell the tropical year by measure of shadow. They are Pillars standing guard at Tipareth’s temple. They are Lovers and twins - an alchemical marriage of opposites.
Time is the Devil, trickster to the Fool. He who stands at the cusp of our shortest day and darkest night. So long as darkness outweighs the light we persist within Persephone’s womb.

VII - Ourobouros - XVI
Every 16 years Mars and Earth make a 7-pointed star.
Crumbling Towers and meteor showers when delusions meet their apocalypse.
All the Court has assembled and bow before the Grail King redeemed.
Ezekiel’s Chariot rides a rising frequency, from red to violet.
Saturn makes the Sun’s day, singing “Do-Re-Me-Fa-So-La-Ti.”

It has been a while!
From purely a Biblical sequence here is 15,15,17,18,19,20,21 cards.
And I saw an Angel come down from Heaven,
having the Key of the bottomless pit and a great chain in his hand.
And He laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which was the Devil, and Satan,
And bound him a thousand years,
And cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up,
And set a seal upon him, that he should deceive the Nations no more,
till the thousand years should be fulfilled:
And after that he must be loosed a little season......snip
And when the thousand years are expired,
Satan shall be loosed out of his prison,
And shall go out to deceive the Nations which are the four quarters of the Earth,
Gog and Magog, to gather them to battle:
....snip...
And the beloved city: and fire came down from God out of Heaven, and devoured them.(*Vials of Wrath)
And the Devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of Fire...
..and death and Hello delivered up the dead which were in them:
And they were judged everyman according to their works.
....snip
And I saw a new Heaven(Stars, Sun Moon) and a new Earth: for the first heaven and Earth were passed away;
And there was no more sea.
And I, John saw the *Holy City, new Jerusalem....

*Vials of Wrath- 1st Trumpet of seven-and Hail and Fire spoken to the seven Churches of God(One Church 1+6)
*Holy City- 4 beasts surround, one like a lion, one like a calf, one had a face of a man, one like an eagle; they rested not day or night saying Holy, Holy, Holy..etc etc.
Could fit eh?
~Lorredan
The Universe is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper.
Eden Phillpotts