An Elixir of Memory & Wisdom?

It is feasible that One of the reasons Tarot has been called the Book of Thoth stems from the earliest enumerated decks transposition of Trumps VIII & XI.

0+1+2+3+4+5+6+7+8+9+10+11+12+13+14+15+16+17+18+19+20+21 = 231
11:8 = 11th harmonic

231 x 11
≈ the number of days in Mercury (Thoth) & Earth’s synodic cycle of 22 conjunctions every 7 years.

22/7 = 3.1428... ≈ π

Of course, this assumes an intention on the part Tarot’s inventor(s) of embedding the Zodiac within the cycle of 22 trumps...doesn’t it?
Tempore patet occulta veritas...

“-a madman in his most incandescent bloom-”

There is much in these threads I would rectify, having only recently grasped some of the mathematics behind the music theory underpinning Crowley’s system of attributions. But, then, it is through repeated distillations that One eventually finds the hidden stone...

http://www.occultcorpus.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7448
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=117979

:fool

Re: An Elixir of Memory & Wisdom?

Yngwë Yngweron wrote:It is feasible that One of the reasons Tarot has been called the Book of Thoth stems from the earliest enumerated decks transposition of Trumps VIII & XI.
Hi Young One (there you go again and make it hard for me to type your screen name) Now you are YingYang in my head.
Now I am fairly straight forward. I have never heard of Tarot being called the Book of Thoth until the 1960's?
Although esoteric Tarot has a history now, I was under the impression that the transposition of Justice and Strength was an early 20th century idea.
Of course, this assumes an intention on the part Tarot’s inventor(s) of embedding the Zodiac within the cycle of 22 trumps...doesn’t it?
Why that assumption? The early decks did not have numbers, just ranking? Many things have a similar association in our heads looking back.... The Egyptian Book of the Dead reads in part like the Sermon on the Mount from the bible- I have read somewhere that that a fringe/psuedo Historian reckons the Sermon the Mount is is a cover story for the procession. One can make anything out of anything (I sometimes do that myself).
~Lorredan
The Universe is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper.
Eden Phillpotts

Hello,
Lorredan wrote:Hi Young One (there you go again and make it hard for me to type your screen name) Now you are YingYang in my head.
Now I am fairly straight forward. I have never heard of Tarot being called the Book of Thoth until the 1960's?
Although esoteric Tarot has a history now, I was under the impression that the transposition of Justice and Strength was an early 20th century idea.
nothing to say about the number swapping between justice and Strength, but the "Livre de Thot" was the expression used by "M. Le C. de M." in Court de Gébelin 1781's "Monde Primitif", he also appears to be the source for the "high Priest(ess)" callings, curiously the "Typhon" calling for the Devil didn't get as much success, nor the "hous of Plutus" for what became later "tower".

Bertrand

Thank you Bertrand for that information. I do not how widely disseminated was the Livre de Thot in it's day. In esoteric circles I guess I thought that these things came to the fore in late 19th-early 20th Centuries.
So I am guessing that Yngwë Yngweron thinks that the game of Tarot until 1781 was not a game- but used as a game, by people oblivious to it's true History and meaning? Much like Barbara Theiring's postulation that the Bible has a double meaning or a code underneath the mundane or generally accepted words.
If I am guessing right- then I think that is poppycock. Every postulation is a squeeze to fit.

I will borrow the words of Robert O'Neill....

While the Tarot contains astrological symbols...we cannot jump to the conclusion that the Tarot is simply an astrological system....rather we find once again that astrology was simply one of the many sources synthesized into the Tarot. Once again, we confirm the hypothesis that Tarot is a syncretistic system of symbols which attempted to synthesize all the wisdom known in the Renaissance.

~Lorredan
The Universe is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper.
Eden Phillpotts

The Hunting of the Snark

Lorredan wrote: Why that assumption? The early decks did not have numbers, just ranking?
Being the earliest deck attributing Roman numerals to the Trumps (of which I am aware), the Jean Noblet Tarot (c.1650) provides that sequence which gives VIII to scale-bearing Justice & XI to Strength’s lion-tamer. Whether astrological designations were originally intended may by a subject of some debate, but the idea of a Leo-Libra ‘switch’ in the order of Trumps can be traced to these designations in the ‘Tarot de Marseilles’ - a transposition made all the more noticeable to students of the Kabbalah applying the Hebrew letters of Athanasius Kircher’s Tree of Life in Oedipus Aegyptiacus (c.1652-5) to these cards.

While this application may seem like a ‘squeeze fit’ to you, there are other certain peculiarities arising from this system of correspondences which lend credence to the occultists’ assertion that “Thoth” was it’s author. For instance...

Venus III + V Taurus (Earth) = VIII
There are 5 conjunctions (each 216º apart) between Venus & Earth every 8 years.

(8 <------> 11 } Libra: Sun (Gold) fall / Saturn (Lead) exalt
(11 <------> 8 } Leo: Sun (Gold) realm / Saturn (Lead) exile

...3, 5, 8...
Fibonacci seq. ≈ Φ = Golden ratio

Jabberwocky

We have decks with at least some numbers on them from at least around 1500, and several other orders than the Tarot de Marseille order. The virtues moved around more than any other group, and in one of the primary orders, Justice is actually number 20... hundreds and hundreds of years before Mr. Waite decided to fiddle with the Tarot de Marseille order.

Stavromula Beta

Yngwë Yngweron wrote: Venus III + V Taurus (Earth) = VIII
There are 5 conjunctions (each 216º apart) between Venus & Earth every 8 years.

(8 <------> 11 } Libra: Sun (Gold) fall / Saturn (Lead) exalt
(11 <------> 8 } Leo: Sun (Gold) realm / Saturn (Lead) exile

...3, 5, 8...
Fibonacci seq. ≈ Φ = Golden ratio
Well you are a far better mathematician than I could ever aspire to. What I am trying to say is that you can make these calculations about lots of things. For example Chapter 11 of Revelation says "They will trample the Holy City under foot for 42 months (There are 42 principles of Ma'at, the Ancient Egyptian personification of physical and moral law, order, and truth.) Card X1! And I shall allow my two witnesses to prophesy for 1260 days clad in sack cloth.
That is also 42 months. 42 months is also the length of time it takes the Comet Enke to orbit the sun.Enke drops asteroids on the Earth. (Signs of God's rumblings) Jupiter takes 11 years to obit the Sun etc etc. So the book of Revelation is embedded in Tarot? Or Astrology is is embedded in the Book of Revelations?
~Lorredan
Eden Phillpotts

Omnia mutantur, nos et mutamur in illis

robert wrote:We have decks with at least some numbers on them from at least around 1500, and several other orders than the Tarot de Marseille order.
I was just reading about the Ferrara Tarot and, while aware of their existence, had not noticed the Roman numeral ranking to these other deck patterns: http://l-pollett.tripod.com/cards26.htm
‘Mahalo’ for pointing that out.
robert wrote:The virtues moved around more than any other group, and in one of the primary orders, Justice is actually number 20... hundreds and hundreds of years before Mr. Waite decided to fiddle with the Tarot de Marseille order.
It is my understanding that both Crowley & Waite derived their respective Tarot attributions from “The Cipher Manuscripts” - supposedly acquired by Wynn A. Wescott from the widow of Kenneth R.H. MacKenzie in 1887. Written in a cypher developed by the 14th century German abbot, Johannes Trithemius, the work appears to be an application of the Kircher Tree to the Tarot de Marseilles. Whether MacKenzie authored this text himself or not may never be conclusively established, but the system of correspondences is not some haphazard assembly of symbols. There are, in fact, some very curious ‘mathematical’ properties to this system that are generally overlooked by Tarot scholars.

It is interesting that the ‘ranking’ of Virtues change so much. One might even call it ironic. That Justice & Fortitude in the ‘Marseilles/Milan’ decks more closely approach the golden ratio than in the ‘Eastern’ & ‘Southern’ variants was perhaps meant to reflect Aristotle’s view in Nicomachean Ethics that Virtue did not lie at the midpoint, but rather at the “mean” between extremes:

Justice <---------------------> Fortitude
VIII <------------------------> XI
21/8 = 2.625 ≈ Φ +1
Φ <--------------------------> 11/22 = 1/2

There are some other ‘coincidences’ implied by the 11<------->8 shuffle that are worth considering:

11x8 = the number of days in the orbit of Mercury (Thoth)
11/8 = undecimal TriTone, the music interval approximating √2:1 that ‘Twins’ the octave at VI half-steps - known as the diabolus, or “Devil” in musica.
http://www.tarotforum.net/showpost.php? ... stcount=19

The 8-sided regular octahedron has 11 nets; and the sum of our trumps, 231, in its configuration as the 8th octahedron has a curious connection with the Fibonacci sequence and the inner planets when we examine its 8th & 11th courses:
http://www.tarotforum.net/showpost.php? ... stcount=12

A curious result (using Crowley’s attributions) may be read from partitioning the deck by digit root, as the astrological glyphs in the “8” point to the glyphs assembled by “11”
http://www.tarotforum.net/showpost.php? ... stcount=20

There is also a ‘pairing’ together of certain couples within the deck made by matching the planets with their corresponding zodiacal signs for the mythological birthday of Jesus, December 25th, 1BC - a date which also has an intriguing connection with the deaths of Julius and Augustus Ceasar: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.ph ... ge=3&pp=10

Taken in isolation any One of these might be chalked up to mere coincidence; yet, taken together, it is clear there is a pattern inherent in the design of these decks which did not occur at random. The form seems to reflect a Pythagorean method of integrating figurate arithmetic & geometry with astronomy & music theory. When, specifically, this system began to interpolate Tarot is still an open question and One which merits further study...

...or is it just another 'Crackpot Theory'?

prisca sapientia

XXIV: A Wolf devours the King &, being burned, restores him to Life

http://www.levity.com/alchemy/atalanta.html
Lupus metallorum = The grey wolf or stibnite, used to purify gold, as the sulphur in the antimony sulphide bonds to the metals alloyed with the gold, and these form a slag which can be removed. The gold remains dissolved in the metallic antimony which can be boiled off to leave the purified gold."
http://www.levity.com/alchemy/antimony_in_alchemy.html
The following posits an alchemical rationale for the iconography:numerical sequence of the 'Tarot de Marseilles', and its' later adaptation in the cipher manuscripts utilized by members of the Golden Dawn.
“Antimony is a semi-metal which most commonly occurs naturally as antimony sulfide, Sb₂S₃, a mineral now called stibnite. Stibnite may be reduced to antimony metal simply by heating it with charcoal or other mild reducing agent under proper conditions....

“When the whole mass has cooled, the layers may be easily separated and the upper slag discarded. Then the antimony will appear with a metallic luster. If conditions are suitable, and if the antimony has been well purified, metallic crystals will have formed. The crystals of antimony are long and slender and sometimes arrange themselves in a pattern on a sort of stem and so resemble the fronds of ferns. If certain very special conditions prevail in the purification and cooling of the metal, the crystalline ‘branches’ may be arranged around a central point and so take on the appearance of a star. The star of antimony fascinated the alchemists, and especially Newton.

“But in the seventeenth century neither the nomenclature nor the chemical understanding of the star of antimony was quite the same. In the first place, the name ‘antimony’ was then applied only to the ore, while the terms ‘regulus’ or ‘regulus of antimony’ indicated the antimony metal. In the second place, it was thought that the iron, or any other metal, used the in the reduction of the ore remained in the metallic product, whereas actually it did not if the right proportions had been used. That belief, however, gave rise to a variety of designations for metallic antimony: ‘regulus per se,’ if the metal had been formed by the heating of the ore with a non-metallic reducing agent; ‘Martial Regulus,’ if iron had been employed in the reduction (Mars being identified with iron); ‘Venereal Regulus.’ if copper had been used (Venus being equivalent to copper); and so forth. When the star appeared in the refining, the antimony was given the special designation of regulus antimonii stellatus, the ‘starred regulus of antimony.’

“Nevertheless the common method of preparation in the seventeenth century was identical with the modern one and employed the stibnite ore and iron....

“The term ‘regulus’ is another word which has changed its meaning since Newton’s time. Although now it refers to any metallic product which forms under the slag when ores are refined, then it applied only to metallic antimony. Thus the ‘regulus of iron’ did not then mean metallic iron, as it would today; rather it meant metallic antimony prepared by the use of iron. To the seventeenth-century user of that designation it would also have meant that iron was present in the regulus, as well as antimony metal, although that would not always have been the true state of chemical affairs. On occasion, it might possibly have meant to the seventeenth-century ‘chymist’ that some particular portion of the original iron, such as its ‘mercury,’ was present in the regulus.

“The word ‘regulus’ means ‘little king,’ as it is the diminutive of the Latin word for ‘king,’ rex. It has sometimes been suggested that the word came to be applied metallic antimony because of the special chemical relationships that antimony has with gold, ‘the king of metals,’ ...It has also been suggested that the term ‘regulus’ was used for the metal because the metallic regulus was something of special value obtained from the ore. But it is here suggested that perhaps metallic antimony got its name from ‘regulus’ from its ability to form a star, because there was, and is, a prominent star by that name: Regulus, a star of the first magnitude, the brightest in the constellation Leo, and also known as cor leonis, the heart of the lion. At any rate, Newton saw a relationship between ‘the regulus of antimony’ and the ‘regulus of Leo,’...so, whether the relationship originally existed or not, it is important for the present discussion. Newton - and it is at least possible that others did also - seems to have interpreted the lion of alchemical symbolism as antimony ore. The starry metallic antimony at its heart then became cor leonis of Regulus.” (146-8)

“Both Sendivogius and d’Espagnet firmly believed in ‘magnets.’ They conceived of them as matrices which drew other things - bodies or spirits - to themselves by virtue of an attractive power and then somehow made manifest and substantial a new form for what had been drawn in.

“In more than one place in Keynes MS 19 Newton excerpted a passage from Sendivogius in which the ‘Magnet’ or the ‘Chalybs’ was mentioned. In his own notes keyed to those passages Newton then identified the attractive body as antimony, even though Sendivogius said never a word about antimony. In Tractate 9 of the New Light, Sendivogus had said: “There is another Chalybs which is made like this, created of itself from nature, which knows how to draw from the rays of the sun that which so many men have sought, and it is the beginning of our work.”
Newton’s response to that was as follows: “That other (and properly named) chalybs is antimony for it is created from nature of itself (without art) and it is the beginning of the work; neither are there more than two principles, Lead and Antimony.”

“Perhaps it was at that point, when Sendivogius began to emphasize ‘magnets,’ that Newton first began to see the significance of Basilius Valentinus’ idea about the ‘magnetic’ property of antimony and so identified the Sendivogian ‘Chalybs’ with antimony.

“Another example in Keynes MS 19 may be drawn from the section on the Aenigma or the Philosophical Riddle. There Sendivogius spoke of ‘our water.’

“Our water is wondrously drawn, but that is the best which is drawn by the power of our Chalybs which is found in the belly of Aries.” Newton’s comment applies to the ‘power of our Chalybs which is found in the belly of Aries,’ and in it one may see the effects of the prisca sapienta doctrine in operation. Newton said that the best water was drawn “...by the power of our sulphur which lies hid in Antimony. For Antimony was called Aries with the Ancients. Because Aries is the first Zodiac Sign in which the Sun begins to be exalted and Gold is exalted most of all in Antimony.”

“It is a chemical fact that gold can be refined or ‘exalted’ by heating it with antimony ore. In such a treatment, any metals contaminating the gold combine with the sulphur of the stibnite and all rise to the top of the molten mass as a sort of scum. The gold sinks to the bottom, along with metallic antimony, from whence the gold may be recovered in an extremely pure state. That is one of the special relationships between antimony and gold, the ‘king of metals,’ which lend credence to the idea that the use of the world ‘regulus’ for metallic antimony derives from the meaning ‘little king.’ Newton knew that gold could be refined in that manner, evidently from his general chemical reading, for it was common knowledge in the seventeenth century...

“Newton then attributed that knowledge to the ‘Ancients,’ in accord with his belief that all wisdom was anciently held by at least some wise men, and then interpreted the mystical Sendivogian phrase, ‘in the belly of Aries,’ in terms of that supposed antique knowledge. So in Keynes MS 19, in his explanatory comment on the Sendivogian passage just quoted, Newton said that antimony was called Aries by the ancients because the sun begins to be ‘exalted’ in Aries (meaning it begins to rise towards its summer zenith, for Aries is the first spring zodiacal sign) as gold, always symbolized by the sun, is ‘exalted’ or refined in antimony.” (153-4)

- “The Foundations of Newton's Alchemy, or, The Hunting of the Greene Lyon"
by Betty Jo Teeter Dobbs (1983)
http://books.google.com/books?id=wwc4AA ... is&f=false
Taking the above into consideration, I hope One may see its' relevance to the following alignment of Crowley’s Book of Thoth Tarot (partitioned by digit root) upon the Tree of Life designations first published by Athanasius Kircher (c.1652-5). Paying particular attention to the 2 pairs of 'transposed' attributions employed in Crowley's Book of Thoth Tarot, try to imagine how this alchemical process of purifying Gold is realized by their 'correction'. Bear in mind that metallic antimony is separated from 'the king of metals' by OXidization after re-heating their Regulus.

. . . . . . . . . ^ . . . . .
. . . . . . . XX...XI. . .
. . . . . . .Fire...♌ “11” <--------------> 2³ ♎
. . . . . . /............\ . .
. . . . . . . . II . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . ☽ . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . 2 ☽♎ . . . .
. . . . . . . Swords . .
. . . . . . . .2 ♀♋ . . .
. . . . . . . Cups . . . .
. . . . . . . 2 ♂♈ . . . .
. . . . . . . Wands . . .
. . . . . . . 2 ♃♑ . . . .
. . . . . . . Disks . . . .
./6☉♏] . . . . . . ./ 6 ☽♉ ]<------------------------ XIX
/ cups ] . . ☉ . . / disks ]<------------------------- ☉
.[ ---- ] . . . . . . [ ---- ]<---------10 ☉♊---10 ♄♐--- X ---10 ♂♓---10 ☿♍
.[ 6♃♌ ] . . . ♃. . .[ 6☿♒ ]<-------- swords----wands--(“4”)---cups-----disks.
.[wands] . . . . . . [sword ]<-------------------------- I
.[ ---- ] . . . ☿ . .[ ---- ]<-------------------------- ☿
[- VI ♊ -] . . . . . .[ -XV ♑- ]
. . . . . . . . . / \
. . . . . . . . ./ - \
. . . . . . . . / -- \
. . . . . . . ./ --- \
. . . . . . ./ - ♐ - \ ♂ XVI
. . . . . . /[ -XIV- ]\
. . .7♂♌ [ ----- ] ------------------------------>Ace: AIR
. wands [ -5☿♉- ]
. . . . . . .[ disks- ]
. . . . . . .[ ----- ] 7 ♄♉ disks -------------------->Ace: WATER
. . . . . . .[ -5♄♌- ]
. . . . . . .[ wands]
. . 7♀♏ [ ----- ] ----------------------------->Ace: FIRE
. . .cups [ 5 ♂♏ ]
. . . . . . .[-cups-]
. . . . . . .[ ----- ] 7 ☽♒ swords ------------------>Ace: EARTH
. . . . . . .[ 5 ♀♒ ]
. . . . . . .[swords]
. . VII ♋ [ ----- ]
. . . . . . .[ -V ♉- ]
. . ./4\. . . . . /4\ . . . . ./4\. . . . . /4\
. . / ♃ \ . . . /....\ . . . . /....\ . . . / ☉\
. . \ ♎ \ . . / ♋☽ \ . . ./ ♈♀ \. . ./ ♑ /
. . . \ . 0=22 . . . . 2²=♈ . . .XIII=♏ /
. . . . \__________________________/
. . . . 3 ♄♎ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 3 ♂♑
. . . . swords ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ disks
. . . . . . .3 ☿♋ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 3☉♈
. . . . . . . cups ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ wands
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . III ♀
. . . . . . . . . . . . .XII Water
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . XXI ♄

0=Air=OX
IV=Aries=Antimony
XIII=Scorpio=FISH

8: STAR
....................... 2² ♈ Window <----------> ♒ Fishhook 17
....................../....\....................
..................../........\...................
..♃♊ 8______/_______\____8 ☿♐
........\......../..............\....../.........
..........\...../................\..../..........
............\./...................\./............
............/..\................../.\............
........../......\.............../....\...........
..♄♓ 8/_____\________/____\8☉♍
....................\........./...................
......................\...../.....................
........................\../....................
........................ 2³ ♎ OX Goad <-------> ♌ Serpent

It is suggested that One must look at the whole of Tarot's architecture to comprehend this transmutation. 'Correcting' the transpositions of trumps VIII:XI & IV:XVII sets our magnum opus into motion.

8<------> 11 = Libra: Gold falls / Lead exalted 21º
11 <------> 8 = Leo: Gold realm / Lead exiled
Tzaddi<---->Heh = Aries: Gold exalted 19º / Lead falls
Heh<----->Tzaddi= Aquarius: Gold exiled / Lead realm
If you would operate by means of our bodies, take a fierce grey wolf, which, though on account of its name it be subject to the sway of warlike Mars, is by birth the offspring of ancient Saturn, and is found in the valleys and mountains of the world, where he roams about savage with hunger. Cast to him the body of the King, and when he has devoured it, burn him entirely to ashes in a great fire. By this process the King will be liberated; and when it has been performed thrice the Lion has overcome the wolf, and will find nothing more to devour in him. Thus our Body has been rendered fit for the first stage of our work.

Know that this is the only right and legitimate way of purifying our substance: for the Lion purifies himself with the blood of the wolf, and the tincture of its blood agrees most wonderfully with the tincture of the Lion, seeing that the two liquids are closely akin to each other. When the Lion's hunger is appeased, his spirit becomes more powerful than before, and his eyes glitter like the Sun.

-Twelve Keys of Basil Valentine
. . . . . . . . . . . . . XIX
.. . . . . . . . . . . . . .☉
10 ☉♊--10 ♄♐ -- X -- 10 ♂♓--10 ☿♍
swords--wands--(“4”)--cups---disks.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . I
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .☿
. . . . . . . . . . . . . .Ace
. . . . . . . . . . . . . .AIR
. . . . . . . . . . . . WATER
. . . . . . . . . . . . . FIRE
.. . . . . . . . . . . . EARTH

♄-+----->♊---------------> 1 ♄ 1

. . . . . . 9♃♓---9☽♐
. . . . cups ~ ~ ~ wands
. . 9 ♂♊ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 9♀♍
swords ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ disks
♍ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~♓ 6+6+6 : http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... /Decad.svg
Last edited by Yngwë Yngweron on 04 Feb 2010, 01:55, edited 11 times in total.