Re: Nicolas Conver code bars

EUGIM wrote:* Just let me see ...
Conver card size : wide/ 6.6 - high / 12 centimeter
Name card Bar : 5.6 centimeter x 5 milimeter.

- So now see the example of the XI card :
Copia de CONVER-LA FORCE.jpg
. Conver placed 20 very precise,clear done lines just because he was bored or because he was a "funny" guy ?
Twenty lines in 18 milimeters ?
-Try you to draw 20 lines in 18 milimeters.
And I am not saying you to engrave them...

- Only 5 cards have bar codes.
I suspect we are considering this from opposite ends of the possible spectrum, Eugim.

I personally see it more likely that as the woodcarver scraped the wood out (and that Force example is a fantastic one to show this), the woodcarver would have been left with a quite large 'empty' space - so why not add a little extra by bringing the carving blade down in lines rather (and thus also leaving lines in place) rather than force a blank space?

It is in this context that the woodcarver may, for those five cards, left lines.
&
association.tarotstudies.org

EUGIM wrote:* Robert:
As I said we have five cards with code bars.
I am asking if there was a reason why.
If for you or JMD or to anybody there is not a reason,well.okay...

- Ends of story !
JMD gave you a hypothetical explanation of what might have happened. The only person I know that seems to think it means anything is ROM, and it's up to you to decide whether you think his theory makes sense of not. To me, it doesn't at all.

Beyond guesses, and ROM's theory, I don't think you're going to get any other answer. Personally, I don't read anything into it at all other than some decoration.

Do YOU think it means something?

1- No,I don t think it s meaning something in a particular direction.
2- I don t "feel" in a decorative intention of only 5 cards from 22.
3- I also don t believe in ROM s suggestions or Flornoy also.
4- But I think that the bars are there for a reason.
The Universe is like a Mamushka.

I'd personally wonder if it has anything to do with replacing the titles? Perhaps the names were updated from the earlier versions of an inherited woodblock? The initials on the Chariot, for me at least, suggest that Conver was possibly updating a older woodblock.

I am suggesting that Conver is using an older woodblock. The reason I believe this is because of the initials on the chariot, they are not "N.C.", they are "V.T.", which I think probably indicates that Conver is using blocks originally carved by V.T..

How is this related? I am suggesting (and really, this is just a wild theory off the top of my head and was not meant to be THE ANSWER (because I don't believe anyone will probably ever know THE ANSWER)), is that if the block was bought or inherited by Conver, then PERHAPS he chose to update the spelling on some of the cards, and re-carved the title areas of those cards... and this is a side effect of that that we see with the lines.

I was not suggesting this as a theory, just as a suggestion of another possibility.

I'm confused. You keep pushing this thing as if you think it is important. When asked what you think, you say you don't know, but you think it is important. You offer NO ideas yourself, and you're the one who cares.

What's the point of this thread?