Re: Nicolas Conver code bars

EUGIM wrote:As an example only : An elephant has a large nose.
This is a fact.

- The code bars are there : This is a fact.
Yes, I agree with you. The lines are a fact what means that someone made them. I think we can be confident in the fact that these lines aren’t the product of any unconscious behavior. The problem is: where do we go from here?

How do we move forward?

Thanks,

EE
What’s honeymoon salad? Lettuce alone
Don’t look now, mayonnaise is dressing!

Hi Eugim & Enrique,

I, too, have puzzled over these so called code bars on 5 of the majors and on some of the court cards. I can only conclude that they were put there intentionally just as I believe the title of LA•FORCE was intentionally put at the far left (perhaps so that all of the lines could be put into a single group [number symbolism?]). It could be that this puts me in the camp of frivolous speculation, but I will gladly pitch my tent there. We may never find out the reason for the marks, but one thing is certain—we have less of a chance if we don't ask the question.

Much has been learned here through the internet. Who knows, perhaps someone reading this will inform us of some old tradition they have heard of?

I believe the lines are Mr. Conver's wedding anniversary date. He forgot once, Mrs. Conver gave him hell for weeks, so he made sure he'd never forget again! :D

On a serious note, they could have indeed been a code of sorts, related to production perhaps. a reminder to the color stenciler or something like that.

Whatever it means, it only applies only to this one manufacturer's product, which was one of dozens of companies churning out Tarot de Marseille patterned playing cards, which had become completely standardize by that time.
When a clock is hungry, it goes back four seconds.

I'll be happy to move this to another thread... but I really just want to point it out...

What about the "Dot Code" on the Dodal? Why does he have some titles with no dots:

Some with the dots before:

Some in the middle:

Some at the end:

And some before, middle, and end:

And what of the "four dots code" on Justice and Temperance:

But not on Strength!

And what of the "line code" after the name on The Lovers:

But before the name on the Empress:

And before and after on the Moon:

All certainly intentional, but meaningful?????

robert wrote:
What about the "Dot Code" on the Dodal? Why does he have some titles with no dots: . . .

Could be, Robert. We're just asking.
I'm reminded of the quip: ”A mind is like a parachute—it only works when it's open!”

errrr.... the four dots occurs on two of the four cardinal virtues, so it MUST be that the FOUR dots reflect the cardinal virtues which are also FOUR. :(|) Also, Force has the same implication by having a dot BEFORe and After the title, which reflects the single dot used with the four dots on the other two cardinal virtues.

(only joking - so I hope that no-one ever quotes me on this out of context!)

Seriously, though, just because there are dots, lines, or points does not necessarily signify a coded form of communication.

In some context (such as the '4' on the Dodal and Payen Emperors), such may be symbolically intentional, but I have yet to be convinced where this may be the case in tarot titles.
&
association.tarotstudies.org

Marcei wrote:
robert wrote:
What about the "Dot Code" on the Dodal? Why does he have some titles with no dots: . . .

Could be, Robert. We're just asking.
I'm reminded of the quip: ”A mind is like a parachute—it only works when it's open!”
And I'm reminded that one shouldn't open one's mind too wide, or all of their brains might fall out.
:D

--

Seriously though, I'm open to a good theory, but no one has presented anything except ROM's original, and what JMD and I have suggested.