Re: Cary Sheet

EUGIM wrote:Am I wrong or behind the tower appears the head of a cow ?
CARY SHEET- XVI-1475-1550..jpg

:-?
Hi Eugim,

Yes, I too think it is most likely a cow. The question is though.. where is the lightening?

Here is the remaining portion of the tower within the context of the entire frame of the card.
There is plenty of room for whatever is going on.
The potential space left for the foreground is particularly interesting.
I am not a cannibal.
Attachments

Could be a cow, or a goat maybe, no lightning to be seen obviously, but was possibly shown on other side, who is to know - agree with OP, I wonder what went on all that foreground space, if there were goats and sheep, perhaps there was a shepherd, again whose to know, interesting with tower, stones and herd animal we have elements that show up seperately in two later patterns. What stands out for me is the quality of the engraving, which is in stark contrast to that of most woodcut decks of cards - this is a quality product.

No lightening, weird.

The top of the tower looks intact, it could mean it is not being struck by the bolt we are familiar with on typical Maison Dieux cards...then again, perhaps a lightening bolt is coming at the tower from the other side, the missing side.

Could be the missing link between cards like the Vieville's Foudre and a Tarot de Marseille Maison Dieux, as Steve pointed out, they share a few of the same elements. The cow's (or goat's) face does not seem afraid or concerned, but then again, could they convey that on the face of a farm animal, or would they bother with such a detail on a "stupid beast" ? (the animals on the Vandenborre "Foudre" seem not to notice the action taking place in that card, and I am too lazy at the moment to go find my Vieville)
"...he wanted to illustrate with his figures many Moral teachings, and under some difficulty, to bite into bad and dangerous customs, & show how today many Actions are done without goodness and honesty, and are accomplished in ways that are contrary to duty and rightfulness."

Yes Steve I think you are right,may be is a goat.
And may be Vieville could give to us an argument for this supposition.
VIEVILLE - 16.jpg VIEVILLE - 16.jpg Viewed 15080 times 18.46 KiB
The Universe is like a Mamushka.

OnePotato wrote:Here is the remaining portion of the tower within the context of the entire frame of the card.
There is plenty of room for whatever is going on.
The potential space left for the foreground is particularly interesting.
Thanks for this OnePotato. Wow, it not only clarifies the point I was actually trying to make about the top of the card... that the top of the tower is at the top of the card leaving no room for the typical symbolism, but now that you've placed it in its relative position, I also see that the entire image is much higher on the card than I ever imagined! I don't know what to make of how "high" up on the card the tower (and I suppose the cow or whatever) is. I think it's very odd, and surprising.