Re: Tarotée - The Back-Door To The Secret

It's true, that card researcher Breitkopf had an excessive use of the word "Musaik". Breitkopf was an excellent printer and playing card deck producer, it makes sense, that he took part of a specific printer terminology, which wasn't generally used.

https://books.google.de/books?id=KHsPAA ... ik&f=false

Grimm's Wörterbuch with a focus on old German words doesn't know "Musaik". Generally I would assume, that less than 1 of 100 speakers of German speakers would understand "musirt", "Musaik" or "musirt".

I'm not especially interested in this coded text from Wolfenbuttel.

The first recorded Northern German (as known to me) use of a word similar to Tarot or Tarock is ...
1751: Own finding:
Anakreontische Versuche, Volume 1
Johann Franz von Palthen
printed by Weitbrecht

Johann Franz von Palthen (1724 - 1804) - worldcat has a lot of publications, but I don't found a good biography.
http://www.worldcat.org/search?q=au%3AJ ... ort_yr_asc
Worldcat offers the text partly as of 1750, books.google.com has it from 1751. The publication location is Stralsund, the author also published in Rostock. He is mentioned in a short biography of his father: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jakob_Palthen ... "Ihr Sohn Johann Franz (1725–1804) wurde Advokatfiskal am Wismarer Tribunal."
The text:
http://books.google.de/books?id=xAdOAAA ... ck&f=false
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=821&hilit=1750+tarock#p11693

... so it's not really plausible, that in Wolfenbüttel (Northern Germany) an excessive reference to the Tarot game was made. But ... who knows. Wolfenbüttel is strongly related to Gustavus Selenus, author of an important chess book.
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/August_II. ... %BCttel%29

That, what is called here a "musivisches Pflaster" is called in my private understanding less mysteriously "chessboard design" or "checkered ground".

Some of the 15th/16th century Trionfi cards use this checkered ground. In my own research I took the opinion, that chess - not very mysterious, but just in trivial manner (the chess game was very popular then) - took an influence on the early development of the Trionfi cards.

Selenus was very open to the questions of this time and founded a famous library. And he was very open to games. It might well be, that his followers participated in the ancestor's extended interests.

Well, but I'm not interested to dive in the jungle discussions about a coded text, which is interpreted by its readers in a quite different manner.

Apart from this, what we know from literary sources it's obvious, that Tarot cards (in Besancon style) were produced in South-West parts of Germany before 1750. Also we know by the researches from Franco Pratesi, that Minchiate games in small numbers were exported to German cities.
Editor's note about the export lists: "... 62517 Minchiate decks (period 1729 - 1762), from which 72.2 % went to Roma, 11.2 % to Siena, 12.6 % to the rest of Italy and 4.0 % = 2485 to all others outside of Italy. Between them 40 decks for Colognia at 5th of January 1731 (the earliest known Minchiate deck in Germany, if they ever reached its destination; Cologne is the home of the Trionfi redaction and we're exited), 24 decks for Vienna at 22th of September 1729 a little earlier (as far I'm informed, this is decades before the earliest known Tarock note in Austria), 4 decks for Londra = London in England at 3rd of October, 1753 (this should be also the "first") and some more interesting details"

http://trionfi.com/evx-minchiate-export-tuscany

Well, Cologne had many Italians, and one of them invented that, what later became Eau de Cologne and he had with his exclusive products access to highest political circles.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johann_Maria_Farina

Possibly he or his family was the commissioner, who had ordered these decks as special Italian accessories.

Well, it's not impossible, that some German freemasons made there something with Tarot around 1730. But I fear, if you want to prove this, you've a lot more to do than the explanation that you offered. It looks like "just some chaos".
In the general art of communication ... a reader must have a way to understand you. And that is also true for the author Charlatan.
http://de.scribd.com/doc/68581697/TRUE-TAROT
Already the design of the article is rather unfriendly to his readers.

The first sentence "This is the first book about the REAL use and purpose of Tarot Cards published on the outside ever - period." demonstrates simply arrogance. It isn't really a welcome.
The author recommends pdf-use, for which you have to download the text. Then it's demanded, that you pay something.
Thanks, and good-bye. The internet is full of interesting stuff to read.

Well, that's what I do, as a common reader.
Huck
http://trionfi.com

Hi Huck. Now that was an entertaining post I must say!

First of all the end of it :)

Something must be wrong with your browser I'm worried. I may recommend using "Opera". It works fine for me.
The now often cited Scribd link - thank you for that - has a "Download" button in the right upper corner:

http://de.scribd.com/doc/68581697/TRUE-TAROT

When you click on it you are asked to register. Many other sites do that if you wish to download something.
You can register under any name you like: Huckleberry... CaptainHook... or even Rumpelstilzchen may be in order, if these names are not taken.
But I figure that you should be able to come up with something really original with all that "Grimm" stuff in your "reply".

After you have registered (no not you obviously, just a figure of speech) you can download the TRUE TAROT PDF. This takes about 3-5 minutes with it's less than 20 MB and a normal connection.
And: it is COMPLETELY FREE OF CHARGE! I just did it for control.

The same goes naturally for the "Tarotée – The Back-Door To The Secret" PDF for this thread.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/241968716/Tar ... ot-com-pdf

I was really worried when I read your post that Scribd has changed something, but those 2 PDFs are FREE as ever!

So WHO did ask YOU for MONEY?

Please do tell!

Adrian

PS: Happy that this is out of the way now and you by the way will be welcome to make amends.
After all we both know that it was your browser's fault. Right?
Now I can concentrate on replying to all that other elaborate and friendly content of yours.
This may take me a day or two - and I don't want to confuse you with "just some (more) chaos".
So one thing at a time...

This seems to be a very strange occurrence - to me at least.
Those are completely different links to Scribd.
You DO realize that?
OK - be that as it may...

As a personal courtesy and because I want to further your progress in research anyway I can I would - if you want - those 2 PDFs sent to you per email.

I suppose I could use the trionfi link down at the bottom of your post to find a contact...
...oh... no... ...not... really... !
But if that's your site (a LOT of priceless information there!!) you should be used to some strange layout I guess and by now have gotten hardened in the best possible way.
I think you should give it a shot. As an avid researcher you must surely know that the truth is often found in the strangest places.
Even Wolfenbüttel could be a treasure trove...
Just kidding. What do I know?

So: just say the word (email address I mean)

Adrian

My apologies, but I couldn't make it back here any earlier.

Because Huck's reply addresses a post by me on the 1st page (by Adrian Goldwetter on 11 Jan 2015, 18:41) and is on the top of this page I will cite from his post and answer accordingly.

>> It's true, that card researcher Breitkopf had an excessive use of the word "Musaik". Breitkopf was an excellent printer and playing card deck producer, it makes sense, that he took part of a specific printer terminology, which wasn't generally used.

https://books.google.de/books?id=KHsPAA ... ik&f=false

Grimm's Wörterbuch with a focus on old German words doesn't know "Musaik". Generally I would assume, that less than 1 of 100 speakers of German speakers would understand "musirt", "Musaik" or "musirt". <<

Now why would you, Huck, bring up a new word like "Musaik" into this discussion? (PLEASE don't ANSWER that! It's a rhetorical question.)
If you did click the link, you saw that the "Breitkopf material" was about "musivische Arbeit" and in the following about "musivisches Pflaster". You remember the "FUSSBÖDEN (= floors)"??
THAT was the reason I brought Breitkopf and his book to your attention.

"Musaik" is NOT in anyway "a specific printer terminology". It is the modern German word "Mosaik" (= mosaic) changed by ONE vocal o>u from a time (Breitkopf: 1719 - 1794) when German was much less standardized as nowadays and such "personalized orthography" just happened from time to time.
No German I know would not get what is meant by "Musaik" and 90% of Germans with an IQ slightly higher than my left foot would possibly assume that it should mean "Mosaik" or something like that. Even an English speaking human should be able to extrapolate that "Musaik" is quite equal to "mosaic" and start his/her linguistic endeavor from there.

If you type now "musivische" in your clever search window on the google page of Breitkopf's book (instead of the irrelevant word "Musaik") you find 33 results for that word. Why didn't you do THAT?

https://books.google.de/books?id=KHsPAA ... he&f=false

Regarding your general assumption >> that less than 1 of 100 speakers of German speakers would understand "musirt", "Musaik" or "musirt". << I would say that this is just your PERSONAL opinion, "trumped" by the "Duden". That's why I brought the link.

Now English speakers may not know what the "Duden" is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duden

It dictates (so to say) BY LAW the standard for German orthography:

>> In West Germany, some publishing houses began to attack the Duden "monopoly" in the 1950s, publishing dictionaries that contained alternative spellings. In reaction, in November 1955 the ministers of culture of the states of Germany confirmed that the spellings given by the Duden would continue to be the official standard. <<

>> On the cover of the Duden, 25th Edition, Volume 1, it says in red letters: Das umfassende Standardwerk auf der Grundlage der aktuellen amtlichen Regeln. This is: "The comprehensive standard reference based on the current official rules."

The "current official rules" are the outcome of the German spelling reform of 1996. <<

So when you now say that "musivisch" what the "Duden" gives as the root word for "musiert" (as I explained in the post in question) is NOT a modern German word you are WRONG by definition - because the "Duden" can't be. Simple as that.

From my post:

>> You are right in so far that the "Duden" (THE authority on German Language) lists "musiert" as a word with very seldom use - but still as a word belonging to "professional jargon" (Fachsprache). The "Duden" declares that it means "musivisch" (Bedeutung = musivisch ) <<

http://www.duden.de/rechtschreibung/musiert

When you further state that:

>> That, what is called here a "musivisches Pflaster" is called in my private understanding less mysteriously "chessboard design" or "checkered ground". <<

This is really ridiculous. Sorry for that but you CAN NOT put your PERSONAL taste above the OFFICAL term that the German Free Masons choose for this special pavement themselves. Thats why I did give the google links. Don't you click them?

From my post:

>> When you now google "musivisches Pflaster" you get that it is THE especially GERMAN term for the well known black and white "mosaic pavement" of squares in Free Masonery. When you tilt that "chessboard" so that it looks like a "carreau (= Karo/= diamonds)... <<

https://www.google.de/search?q=musivisc ... 80&bih=898

The ring with the "mosaic pavement" is SOLD under that name: Musivisches Pflaster.
In an online shop that sells to fans of Templars and Free Masons - so pretty modern I would say and nobody would buy it if this was NOT the official term. Otherwise the potential buyer couldn't FIND it. Again the link to the shop for your convenience:

http://www.freimaurer-templer.de/Freima ... stahl.html

This is really pointless and I'm getting very tired of repeating myself. Some readers might feel the same way and I can not help the feeling that you are trying to "muddy the waters" with such statements.
This is not really a linguistic thread. Only in so far that (from: by Adrian Goldwetter on 06 Jan 2015, 09:13)

>> US Games invented for the Rider-Waite Tarot a tartan pattern (1971 ?) that is also used for blank "tarot cards" and sold under the "Americanized" name "Blank Tarot, Tarotee Back Cards" on Amazon for ex.
Now (mostly) Americans think that Tarotee is really a word and that it describes the tartan pattern on Rider-Waite cards. <<

So US Games did invent a pattern that resembles the original backs of historical Tarot cards only remotely and called it by an equally inventive "Americanized" name that makes it impossible for google (and so the people who search) to find the historical origins.
This thread on Aeclectic tells the whole sad story (that inspired me to this thread here):

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=194368

5 short post in total.

First post 10-04-2013 by Aeric:

>> The origin of "tarotee"

This word makes me curious. From what I can see, it's only used in conjunction with the RWS, not in any other decks before or after it.

What exactly makes the plaid tartan pattern significant? Although RWS has become a standard, it doesn't seem like the tarotee was adopted as a standard or mimicked in many other decks. Did Waite or Smith choose the pattern as conducive to reversals? Who coined the term? <<

Last (enlightening) post by agent199:

>> Its the only way to go :) (He means the tartan pattern!)

PLEASE NO MORE Discussions about LINGUISTICS!
There are really a lot of "questionable" statements I made in the PDF.
This thread is about putting the original historical "Tarotée" to USE as "The Back-Door To The Secret".

Now about your (Huck's) statement about the "Copiale Cipher" (link again):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copiale_ci ... e_Oculists

>> I'm not especially interested in this coded text from Wolfenbuttel. <<

What can I say: your loss? Could be - but everyone is entitled to his own ignorance - or arrogance (this is a word you seem to like better Huck as I see at the end of your post when you choose to give this label to the author of the Scribd PDF without even READING it. Wow!

The Copiale will not give you any insight about card games. I NEVER said that.
It will give you a glimpse of the inner structure and vanity of established Free Masonry that longed to imitate the glamor of aristocracy to impress possible new aspirants with decorations and rituals.

And on the last pages it will introduce you to "young rogues".
Still Masons - but gone astray in their new and unlawful behavior (1730).
A first hand account of a Lodge Master who is worried (as the Count that he is) that good and lawful Masons might get influenced by them.
This all written in a very elaborate code that was only decoded in April 2011 with the help of modern computer techniques after decades of failure.

I only mentioned this book to you because there you can get a feeling for "code" and "masonic thinking" and refinement. But as I mentioned also that only a German reading person could get that because it is now decoded German from 1730 with still a few quirks and the English translation in that an English reading person would trust naturally is (for such a delicate matter) at best HORRIBLE by comparison to the elaborate decoding.

The (true) Tarot de Marseille(s) is/are to my knowledge in part based on Free Masonic initiation ritual (as I explained).
Now dive into their own accounts from where they got "fertilized" or by whom and don't get fooled by "Hebrewisms".

To state my own arrogance I must say here that I have really not the slightest interest in Johann Franz von Palthen and
>> The first recorded Northern German ... use of a word similar to Tarot or Tarock. <<
PLEASE Huck!
This thread has a title and a purpose.
I have made a 27 pages PDF that you don't refer to in any way.

The whole GERMAN angle concerning this thread is totally redundant.
mikeh and you brought your discussion from another thread here and I played along - and proved my point even concerning the GERMAN angle.

Neither I'm interested in Selenus and his view on games (at this point in THIS thread).
Nor in widening the angle of this thread to the "Minichiate problem" with their quite different structure.
There are similarities though: your picture of "the falconer" is a very good example of the half understood fabric of the "Visconti Carpet".
I will elaborate on that in a second post (and on other similarities concerning the "water theme": in your link is a picture from a ship on the XXI for ex.:

http://trionfi.com/evx-minchiate-export-tuscany

So please Huck do me the favor and do NOT reply to this post.
The jungle has already grown and interested readers might get confused or bored with all the repetitions.

When you say quite at the end of your post that:

>> In the general art of communication ... a reader must have a way to understand you. And that is also true for the author Charlatan. <<

I completely agree with you - but wouldn't you say that it is customary in "the general art of communication" that you shouldn't "judge a book by it's cover" ("pretext" in this case that you cited in your post) without even READING it?
You got all excited by his "arrogance" that he had the nerve to say that TRUE TAROT "is the first book about the REAL use and purpose of Tarot Cards published on the outside ever - period."

I think you over-read "outside" what is a quite familiar term in a very special school of thought that you may not be familiar with.
So he may just state a fact.
And from what I understood it is the first step to understand the code of the CORRECT cards.

I think that the assumption that everyone who published a deck has "something special" to say about Tarot is very wrong.
I tried to say that with the Estensi example in my PDF.
You can NOT learn anything about Tarot from it. It belongs only to a fantasy world. Totally made up.
And there are so many of that kind.
So it would be best to filter out a fully functioning deck.
What "C" did.

But if we want to go deeper into this matter you (and the interested readers) should read it first.
It really is not so much text. Mostly pictures.
Sometimes only one sentence or a few words on a single page.

I'll try to be back tomorrow or at the WE with the afore-mentioned second post about the "falconer" and the "water theme".
If you want to reply Huck please wait until I post it - OK?

Adrian

... :-) .... what do you think, what you get, when you question the search engine for pictures about "Schachbrett Boden"? Well, again you get these "Musivische Pflaster" of the Freimaurer.

A playing card from 15th century. Chess was known, but the freemasons were missing then.

If the freemasons preferred for their secret operations musivische Pflaster, then it doesn't mean, that everybody knew "musivische Pflaster" as an expression (but likely everybody knew some sort of chequered ground).

Breitkopf: You're right, at that passage Breitkopf spoke about mosaics (musaik). But this text (from 1801) is the prolongation of a book about playing card history in 1784.
Breitkopf, Johann Gottlob Immanuel:Versuch, den Ursprung der Spielkarten, die Einführung des Leinenpapieres und den Anfang der Holzschneidekunst in Europa zu erforschen, Welcher die Spielkarten und das Leinenpapier enthält
Breitkopf, Johann Gottlob Immanuel, (1784)
http://bildsuche.digitale-sammlungen.de ... &nav=&l=de

Books.google.com for "musivisches Pflaster" and timerange 1500-1800 .... totally negative.
https://www.google.de/search?q=musivisc ... 00&tbm=bks

Well, it seems to be a relative modern word combination. Possibly it was Breitkopf's book, which made the terminus
"Musaik" popular.
Breitkopf made mainly books about music. Possibly the word similarity between Musik and Musaik raised his interest about this already overcome expression.

As you see, it has an "1819" ...

... when you call it "official Freimaurer-Deutsch".

"Musivisches Pflaster"
http://freimaurer-wiki.de/index.php/Mus ... s_Pflaster
Nach einer alten, auf ihren Ursprung kaum überprüfbaren maurerischen Tradition war der Salomonische Tempel mit schwarzen und weißen Steinen gepflastert.
The keywords "tempel salomon chequered ground" gets a lot of book results, all after 1801, as far I see it.
Huck

Kleinode
zum „Square Pavement“ siehe auch: Das musivische Pflaster

Im Sloane MS. 3329 (1700; dessen Urform möglicherweise um 1650 geschrieben wurde) taucht in einer Dreiergruppe von Kleinoden auf:
Square Pavement.
(daneben gibt es bei den drei Lichtern neben „Sun“ und „Master“ noch einen „Square“).
In „A Mason’s Examination“ von 1723 werden unter vier Kleinoden – neben zwei Steinen - genannt:
„Square“ (Reissbrett?),
„Common Square“ (Winkelmass).
(The Master, Warden and Fellows gehören hier zu den „precious jewels“.)
In „The Grand Mystery of Free-Masons Discover’d“ von 1724 und in der „Institution of Free Masons“ von 1725 wird unter drei Kleinoden – neben zwei Steinen - genannt:
Square (Winkelmass).
In „A Mason’s Confession“ von 1727 wird unter drei Kleinoden – neben zwei Steinen – genannt:
„a square pavement“ (das Reissbrett).
Als Funktion wird angegeben: „For the master to draw his ground draughts on.“
Interessant ist der Bedeutungswechsel: Bis vor 1730 (Prichard) war mit „Square pavement“ ein Reissbrett gemeint; in einigen deutschen Übersetzungen als „quadratisches Pflaster“ bezeichnet.
Im Wilkinson MS. von 1727 kommt erstmals das „Mosaick pavement“ - als „Immoveable Jewel“ - vor; es dient dem Meister „to draw his design upon“.
Bei Prichard drei Jahre später dient jedoch das „Trasel Board“ diesem Zweck. Es gehört zu den unbeweglichen Kleinoden (1736: „nicht berührende Kleinodien“; 1741: „unbewegliche Werckzeuge“).
Das „Mosaick Pavement“ kommt bei Prichard zusätzlich vor. Es gehört nun aber zu den „furniture“ (1736: Zierrathen; 1741: Auszierungen; Marchev 2000: Einrichtungen, Gegenstände; Marchev 2010: Zubehör) und wird übersetzt als „Musaische oder eingelegte Arbeit“ (1736), „Mosaisches Estrich“ (1741) resp. „musivisches Pflaster“ (Marchev).
Es bildet den „Boden der Loge“ („the Ground Floor of the Lodge“); 1736 wurde übersetzt: „Der Fuss-Boden des Zimmers ist mit Musaischer Arbeit gepflästert.“
Im Meistergrad heisst der Fussboden jedoch „Square Pavement“ („viereckte Diehle“, 1736; „viereckigte Estrich“, 1741; resp. bei Marchev wiederum „musivisches Pflaster“) und gehört nun zu den „Master-Jewels“ (Kleinodien des Meisters).
Im Meistergrad kommt überdies „Square“ in einer Dreiergruppe ohne Benennung vor. Es liegt nahe, das wie an zwei Stellen unmittelbar vorher sowie im Lehrlingsgrad mit „Winkelmass“ zu übersetzen. Sinngemässer ist nach Marchev jedoch „Quadrat“ (1736 und 1741), was hier Reissbrett bedeutet.
Im Katechismus der Strikten Observanz (1764; Imhof I, 108) gehört das Winkelmass zu den Kleinodien und das musivische Pflaster zu den Zieraten.
http://freimaurer-wiki.de/index.php/Die ... eimaurerei

Various competing earlier notes, but the name is floating.
Huck

Hi Huck!

Please accept my apologies for being so rude to you sometimes in this thread.
It was my fault that I didn't recognize that you were only trying to help.
I have been over and over your replies and just did not GET IT - and then it HIT me... like a brick!

Your AVATAR!
It was there all the time - but I only looked at the stupid words when I should have appreciated the artwork.

Since you are proceeding here like if it were a private conversation in PM mode and not a thread on The Unicorn Terrace (where it says right on the invitation: "Have some ideas you'd like to explore? Engage in your favorite "Unicorn Hunt" in this unstuffy area for playful historical pondering." - you know by NOT providing non-German-reading persons with translations or sufficient comments or advice on your German material and stuffing this "unstuffy area" with posting the same pictures over and over and repeating the same (already solved!) non-subjects again and again for no good... )

...you got me thinking. Really. Hard.

I went to some of your posts in other threads.
MAN there are so many! Wow! You are so well read in specific areas.
People turn for advice to you. Like mikeh before he made his appearance here.
In his case you were just not informed enough. That happens.
I introduced you both to a wider scope of the "musiert > musivisch" matter and the problem mikeh had should really have been solved by now.

Not all members like your theories. Especially the Chessboard thing is not very much agreed upon (not only) around here.
But you know what? I actually do! A bit - and looking from "higher ground". Just a change of perspective.
That's why I included you in my PDF.
And "C" does too. In a way. The Chessmen and the Chessboard are in TRUE TAROT too.

The Tarot Cards are the closest to the Chessmen in the "gaming WORLD".
BUT: Tarot it NOT Chess. The Tarot Cards don't BEHAVE like the Chessmen.
The WORLD is their oyster. BUT with a Chessboard PATTERN.
NOT black and white squares. BUT a NET full of diamonds.

For an "outsider" - the common reader - just like you like to call yourself - it is a bit complicated to grasp such ideas.
BECAUSE of THAT Secret Societies like to talk "code"... No not the Copiale stuff... No worries.
More like hiding in plain side. The Chessboard on the "Falconer" you brought.

When you made your silly comment:
>> A playing card from 15th century. Chess was known, but the freemasons were missing then. <<
- you nearly got me AGAIN.

Now I understand that you just tried to stay in character. Of your Avatar - the jester.
The historical jester sometimes went to very serious self-humiliation only to end up shooting himself in the foot (a figure of speech - but it could have been the left one). The common historical jester did that to feed himself. Sometimes with the rotten food that was thrown at him.

But there were others too. Not so common and sacrificing themselves for a higher cause.

You are a seasoned and well respected researcher. Why would you risk your reputation by making things up (like that the TRUE TAROT Scribd PDF was only available for money)?
Actually the quote from "C" that you said was "arrogant" is from the "foreword" - 1st line - to the PDF - same page with the "Download" button and from the link I gave. If you were - due to your "slow connection" - (mysteriously) taken to the link you gave:

https://de.scribd.com/payments/billing

...you would NOT have had the chance to get offended by his "arrogance" because there is no foreword to TRUE TAROT that you could have read (and copied > pasted).
Every REALLY interested reader of this thread (yet there are not many - less than 1% I would say - so no worries about that. Yet.) could find out and see for himself.

An experienced researcher like you would not expect to KNOW anything about the inner sanctum of freemasonry after half an hour of googling plus reading around a bit (the roughly 1h time difference between your 2 posts) plus getting it ALL wrong in your totally absurd 2nd post (later about THAT!)

About the obviously silly comment now:
>> A playing card from 15th century. Chess was known, but the freemasons were missing then. <<
You - or even the most "common reader" - wouldn't expect a full fledged version of anything complicated and SECRET like the Free Masons with rituals and grades and all that stuff that you overlooked appearing for the FIRST TIME in official documents (London 1717) to be the "date of birth" - would you? Really?

Obviously there must be another way a researcher would look at this. Like in a criminal case. Looking for hidden evidence and patterns.
Like this guy who sees the beginning of RECOGNIZABLE Freemasonry at 1440:

http://www.robertlomas.com/Freemason/Origins.html

Like you guys do around here when someone finds a new old deck that has not written TAROT on it.
I agree with him on some terms - but this is just an example for the "higher ground" perspective.

There are other claims that 1390 is the date of the first masonic document. The Halliwell Manuscript. But modern methods see it more around 1450.

The Freemasons pride themselves to stem from the masons who built the cathedrals of Europe.
That should not come along as a huge surprise to you or the common reader in you.
You can get a good popular job description of an evolving master builder in "Pillars Of The Earth" - but the BOOK.
There you can read about "Zeichenboden" (not really translatable > a big square spot on the ground of a room without flooring prepared with a kind of white plaster so that the master builder can sketch his plans for the building with charcoal).
I'm sure that you can find a FREE version somewhere on-line Huck.

But when a master builder had to draw true to scale he used a net made of squares. Like a Chessboard - but only containing the lines of the squares.
I gave a link for that method on the first page (by Adrian Goldwetter on 11 Jan 2015, 18:41):
the art-is-fun.com/grid-method.

Artists used the square-grid method too. Sometimes (Leonardo da Vinci for ex.) they chose for greater accuracy a grid made of TWO of the square-grids.
No 2 above No 1 tilted 45° - just like behind your "falconer".

The spectator of that scene on the card should not only watch the more symbolic falcon (hunting with them was strictly regulated in many parts of Europe).
He should watch foremost the circular thing thats fastened to his shoulders and the gesture of his legs and that the man is standing on the masonic pavement with the chessboard pattern that is in some old English documents called "Trasel-Board" what is a corrupted form of "Tracing-Board".
The only official German word for this - as Huck could have stated himself because he posted it in his 2. quote from freimaurer-wiki.de down at the bottom is: Das MUSIVISCHE PFLASTER. The Headline of the quote.
( >> Im Katechismus der Strikten Observanz (1764; Imhof I, 108) gehört das Winkelmass zu den Kleinodien und das MUSIVISCHE PFLASTER zu den Zieraten. << )

Now you could look up "Tracing-Board" and be as smart as before because all you'll get are masonic links and pictures of the square tiles.
You should look up "tracing synonyms" to get a "picture" of what it really MEANS.
A google service (I think!) is helpful with that.
The 1st window right on top of the page:

>> trace

verb
gerund or present participle: tracing

1. find or discover by investigation.
"police are trying to trace a white van seen in the area"
synonyms: track down, find, discover, detect, unearth, uncover, turn up, hunt down, dig up, ferret out, run to ground; More
find or describe the origin or development of.
"Bob's book traces his flying career with the RAF"

2. follow or mark the course or position of (something) with one's eye, mind, or finger.
"through the binoculars, I traced the path I had taken the night before"
take (a particular path or route).
"a tear traced a lonely path down her cheek"

3. copy (a drawing, map, or design) by drawing over its lines on a superimposed piece of transparent paper.
"trace a map of the world on to a large piece of paper"

synonyms:

copy, reproduce, go over, draw over, draw the lines of, draw, draw up, sketch, draft, outline, rough out, mark out, delineate, map, chart, record, indicate, show, depict.

(This last one is especially interesting when you - or the common reader - observes the LEGS and FEET of the "falconer!)

draw (a pattern or line), especially with one's finger or toe.
"she traced a pattern in the dirt with the toe of her shoe" <<

Any ideas what the falconer guy does here?

I wanted to make it clear what you really did here because I didn't get it back then.
I wasn't precise enough. I should have explained more:
The Scribd registration situation.
The time-frame.
And on and on...

So I thank you very much for sacrificing yourself and shooting yourself in the foot. For the greater good!
I can apreciate this now after this whole hustle Huck!
Can you forgive me? I hope so very much. Time will tell.

I think the Breitkopf thing with the "Musaik" can really rest now.
Your suggestions are clearly a little bit excentric - but it's your foot that you got here in the door.

After that you make a statement I can not comprehend. Sorry.
Above the now several times posted JPG of the "Arbeitstafel (~ working panel) für den 1. Grad, 1819" is the 1st half:
>> As you see, it has an "1819" ... <<

and the 2nd half below:
>> ... when you call it "official Freimaurer-Deutsch". <<

What does that mean? Do you think that is a sentence or have some words gone missing similar to mikeh's post in the other thread?

I can verify to you that I see the "1819". It is the same that I typed in my keyboard when I made the JPG after downloading the "Arbeitstafel" and the "ring" to make a nice fitting illustration for this thread.
So what?

I assume that you refer to my statement that "Das Musivische Pflaster" is the official GERMAN name for "Square Pavement"? Yes?
Well - it is.
Just read though your own quoted paragraph from feimaurer-wiki.de.

Now I must explain to the INTERESTED reader what Huck REALLY did in his 2nd post.
He went to a German site that is dedicated to Freemasonry - and very well maintained and equipped.
For example you can choose a language format. For an all English site like tarothistory.com this should probably have been English.
Now ALL articles get translated to English.
Huck's quote too.
Then it would have been clear from the 1st sentence and the headline on that this article was totally useless for his position:

>> Various competing earlier notes, but the name is floating. <<

Nothing floats here. All quotes in the article are from ENGLISH books that were translated to German.
Often by later authors. Some by the site author - like this:

>> In "A Mason's Examination" from 1723 are four gems - along with two stones - called:
"Square" (drawing board?)
"Common Square" (protractor) <<

In Huck's quote it looks like this:

>> In „A Mason’s Examination“ von 1723 werden unter vier Kleinoden – neben zwei Steinen - genannt:
„Square“ (Reissbrett?),
„Common Square“ (Winkelmass). << (It's the 5th TEXT line from top)

Now: Who in his right mind would translate Square (German = Quadrat) to Reissbrett ( ~ drawing board)?
Someone who does this for context in both languages and because he KNOWS what it is about.

The best way for English reading persons to deal with Huck's quote would be to click his German link and go straight to the right top corner.
DON'T click the flags!!! You'll have a hard time to locate the article!
Click the little white window with the drop down menu for "language select" and scroll down to English. Click.
The actual German page becomes translated. You can point your cursor now at each sentence and you will get a sentence by sentence translation in a little pop up window to the original German version of each text.

The text you are searching for is Huck's quote and headlined "Gems" in the page menu above. Topic 7. When you point your cursor there "Kleinode" should pop up in a white window. The header of Huck's quote.

Now it is much more comprehensible that all different expressions for the floor of square black and white tiles in Freemasonry are of English origin.
The ONLY GERMAN NAME for that same pattern that occurs here is in the last sentence - in Huck's quote - it is from a German book from 1764:

>> The Catechism of the Strict Observance (1764; Imhof I, 108) which is part protractor to the jewels and the pavement mosaic narration to the ornaments. <<

When you move your cursor there you see in the Pop up window:

>> Im Katechismus der Strikten Observanz (1764; Imhof I, 108) gehört das Winkelmass zu den Kleinodien und DAS MUSIVISCHE PFLASTER zu den Zieraten. <<

This is a book that Huck seemingly wasn't able to find in his search:

>> Books.google.com for "musivisches Pflaster" and timerange 1500-1800 .... totally negative. <<

mikeh and Huck seem to have similar problems with search machines. So don't trust them people.
Them search machines. Only your EYES.
But we'll see about that following your ideas about the "falconer".
Maybe. Or not.

Last quote from Huck and his first post.
The last statement (that he got by typing the (official and only GERMAN freemason's) search term "musivisches Pflaster" in his keyboard with the slow connection:

>> Nach einer alten, auf ihren Ursprung kaum überprüfbaren maurerischen Tradition war der Salomonische Tempel mit schwarzen und weißen Steinen gepflastert. <<

>> According to an old, their origin hardly verifiable Masonic tradition was Solomon's temple paved with black and white stones. <<
This is the translation for Huck's German contribution. Provided by the site.

Didn't I warn him (and any interested readers) not to >> get fooled by "Hebrewisms" << ?
But that was before I knew I was talking to a jester. Silly me.

So thanx again for all your help and self-sacrifice Huck! I hope that now all is OK and we can work on this TOGETHER. This can be so much M :ymparty: RE fun!

I love you man!

Adrian