Dialogue on the errors of the painters (1564)

I don't know if this has been previously discussed. There is a reference to “tarocchi” in Dialogo degli errori de' pittori circa l'istorie ('Dialogue on the errors of the painters about history', p.87), written by Giovanni Andrea Gilio and published in 1564.

Disse M. Silvio: «Io ho molte volte inteso dire il contrario ai predicatori: che si doverebbe predicare allegro, giocondo e pieno di dolcezza». 
Rispose M. Ruggiero: «Quando uno per la sua buona vita fusse certo de la salute sua, io concedo questo che voi dite. Ma a noi che siamo più peccatori, no, ché, non volendo per amore lasciare il peccato, almeno per timore; e questo mi pare ottimo mezzo a spaventarci». 
«Ma chi crederebbe, disse M. Vincenso, che la resurrezzione de' morti fusse stata messa nel giuoco de le carte?». 
«Come nel giuoco de le carte?», disse M. Francesco. Rispose  M. Vincenso: «Pigliate i tarocchi, e vi vederete dipinto l'angelo che suona la tromba et i morti resuscitati che escono de le sepulture». 
«Brutta cosa veramente, replicò M. Francesco, e degnia di considerazione». 
«Vi par egli ben fatto, soggionse M. Vincenso, che uno  custode degli uomini venerato da la Chiesa, una creatura 
celeste et angelica, un nunzio divino di tanta importanza sia stato introdotto nel giuoco de le carte, fra le bestemmie, fra gli spergiuri, fra le mariolerie e manigolderie del giuoco? E non è chi lo consideri, e, se si considera, non è chi lo dica, e, se si dice, non è chi lo proibisca né chi l'osservi. Venga Demostene a difender questo, che resterà un Gn. Scicinio».
«Ben discorrete, disse M. Francesco; et acciò gli uomini abbino più agevolezza a rompersi il collo del corpo e de l'anima, v' è stato aggiunto anco il Diavolo, acciò, avendolo uno desperato spesso fra le mani, gli si possa dare o vero chiamarlo in suo aiuto. ...». 

M. Silvio said: “I have often heard preachers say the contrary: that preaching should be merry, playful and full of sweetness”.
M. Ruggiero answered: “For one who is certain of being saved, because his life is good, I agree with what you say. But we are mostly sinners, and we are not ready to leave sin for love sake, yet we could leave it for fear; and this [i.e. the art of painting] seems to me an excellent way to scare us”.
M. Vincenso said: “But would you believe that the resurrection of the dead has been put in a card game?”
M. Francesco said. “What? In a card game?”
M. Vincenso: “If you take tarot, you will see a painting representing the angel blowing the trumpet and the resurrected dead coming out of their graves”.
“An awful thing and deserving some reflection” M. Francesco replied.
M. Vincenso added: “And do you think it is well done that a protector of mankind, venerated by the Church, a heavenly and angelic creature, a divine messenger of such importance, has been introduced in a card game, among the curses, the perjuries, the thefts and misdeeds of game playing? And people do not think of it, and if they do, they say nothing, and even if someone says something, yet this is not forbidden nor respected. Demosthenes himself can try and defend this, and he will be like Gnaeus Sicinius”.
M. Francesco said: “You say well. And in order to make it easier for men to injury their body and their soul, the Devil has been added too, so that a desperate can often hold him in his hand and can give himself to him or call him for help. ...”
Last edited by marco on 26 Sep 2012, 12:27, edited 1 time in total.