Re: Collection to Etteilla followers ; theme JGSS

I did not mean to imply that the plates were different. But how can you tell whether Depaulis's cards are from the first printing, 1788, or a second printing, in some later year--no later than 1792--from the same plates? Sometimes you can see if the lines of the engraving show wear, especially with woodcuts. Admittedly I don't see any. But we don't know how many decks were in the initial press run. And I thought these were plates of metal, which would last longer.

Re: Collection to Etteilla followers ; theme JGSS

mikeh wrote:
26 Apr 2018, 10:55
I did not mean to imply that the plates were different. But how can you tell whether Depaulis's cards are from the first printing, 1788, or a second printing, in some later year--no later than 1792--from the same plates?
It is possible there was more than the one edition, but the mere rarity (the forty in the collection of Depaulis are the only existing ones I am aware of) argue against there having been several editions - all we know for sure is a dating of mid-March 1789 for the first (and perhaps only) edition of printed cards - and of 1788 for engraving of the plates (and perhaps the printed sheets, but those too could have also have been printed later of course) - but yes, those of Depaulis could have been from a later printing -
Immature poets imitate; mature poets steal; bad poets deface what they take, and good poets make it into something better, or at least something different.
T. S. Eliot