Re: Germini / Minchiate

The 1440 is dubious, should only be listed with several question marks. "Minchiare" apparently existed in Italian independently of any card game. So did "Triumphi", especially after Petrarch's poem. Vitali's view is that the poem is just about fools grappling with the subtleties of the poem.

mikeh wrote:The 1440 is dubious, should only be listed with several question marks. "Minchiare" apparently existed in Italian independently of any card game. So did "Triumphi", especially after Petrarch's poem. Vitali's view is that the poem is just about fools grappling with the subtleties of the poem.
One has to show, that an earlier "minchiate" or "minchiatar" exists in an earlier manuscript. Then the value of the "minchiatarr" of Burchiello loses some value, but not all.

In the question of Taraux and Tarochi in 1505 it seems of value, that the use of Tarocus in c. 1495 is known.
For the same reasons it seems of value to know about the note of minchiatar in 1440. Especially curious is the condition, that the "c. 1440" meets precisely the date of the oldest noted Trionfi cards in September 1440.

Vitali's opinion to the point is noted by the link.

Part of the research to a specific deck type is the research for the etymology of the name.

Btw. ...

... for instance here in 1814: https://books.google.de/books?id=oidnAA ... ro&f=false

It seems, that Burchiello minchiatar gave reason to the assumption, that a word "Minchiataro" existed. I've no idea, who was responsible for this idea.
Huck
http://trionfi.com

Some time ago Huck asked for a translation of Franco's note "Secolo XVI: Firenze – Il nome dei germini", at http://www.naibi.net/A/332-GERMINI-Z.pdf. I have finally gotten to it. I wasn't sure where to post it. It did not seem appropriate to give it a thread of its own, since there are already threads discussing the topic. I put it here because this particular thread has recently been active and seems to be intended as a place to put things about Germini/Minchiate. Shortly before Franco's note there was an extended (and separate) discussion on THF of similar issues. I will give the link in a separate post.

In this translation, words in brackets are mine. Where Franco himself used brackets, I have changed them to parentheses so as to avoid confusion with mine. The notes are at the end.

16th Century Florence - the name of germini

Franco Pratesi – 06.09.2014

INTRODUCTION

The name [nome] of germini is applied to a particular pack of Florentine cards, and card game historians agree to recognize in the cards indicated with this name the same pack of 97 cards that was later commonly referred to as minchiate in Tuscany, while in other regions it could be described as ganellini or gallerini.

The earliest citation of the name of germini applied to playing cards was recently found by Lothar Teikemeier in relation to facts of 1517, (1) while an important association of the word germini with that of the major triumphs had previously been found in an unpublished statute in Montecatini Val di Cecina, dated 1529. (2)

We must now discuss the meaning of germini, a noun [nome, also meaning name] that comes into Italian, without significant changes of meaning, directly from the Latin germen, with a derivation suggested by the verb gignere and corresponding Greek words related to generation.

Now, it is not the same if we only study the issue with regard to playing cards or more generally. Historians of playing cards agree to accept the interpretation of the plural term germini as a corruption of gemini [Latin, twins] or gemelli [Italian, twins]. However, the noun germine also exists in Italian without any reference to playing cards.

One will then have to check first if the usual meaning of germini is also applicable to the cards. On the other hand, it will be useful for a confirmation to be able to find as many attestations as possible of the word germini interpretable as gemini in cases other than playing cards.

The name germini (equal to gemini) for playing cards

The starting point is that card game historians usually read germini as a corruption of gemini or genelli (twins). Indeed, that the word gemini could be written in some text as germini cannot be surprising: considering the wide freedom of spelling that was granted to everyone writing in those times, finding such a "mistake" is more than normal and we cannot find ourselves faced with daring hypotheses.

So we just have to see if the term gemini or gemelli has some connection with the game. The answer from this point of view is also very positive. In fact it was precisely on the basis of a link of the kind that the explanation of that source of the name was proposed. As is well known, the regular tarot deck, rarely documented in Florence, contains 78 cards, composed of 56 that are those of the four suits, each of ten numeral cards and four figures, plus a sequence peculiar to this deck consisting of 22 figures, which function in the game as trumps. In the corresponding Florentine pack the 56 suit cards remain, with only a few peculiarities in the drawing of the figures, but the sequence becomes 40 cards, 41 considering the Fool, thus bringing the total number to 97.

What are the gemini? In fact, the twelve zodiacal signs are included in the additional cards of the Florentine sequence, and among them the card with the Gemini occupies the highest position, so that it can indeed justify the fact that this was the starting point for giving that name to the whole deck and game.

Such a justification was made in black and white by Paolo Minucci in his Note al Malmantile, present from the 1688 edition after being compiled around 1675 at the request of Cardinal Leopoldo dei Medici: "
Germini forse da Gemini, segno celeste, che è fra i Tarocchi col numero è il maggiore

[Germini perhaps from Gemini, a celestial sign which among the Tarocchi with number is the greatest.] (3)
The greatest and most trusted historian of playing cards comports himself in this regard as one could foresee a philosopher who has devoted his most famous work to logic: it is useless to raise doubts where it is not necessary, and much less in such a case as this, where the explanation is obvious.
Germini is obviously a corruption of Gemini (The Twins), which represents the subject of trump XXXV in the Minchiate pack, the highest of those showing signs of the Zodiac. (4)
But if the thing is obvious to a Dummett, it becomes difficult for us to raise some doubts.

In conclusion, as long as one moves within playing cards and their history, it would be quite true that all that was to be said has already been said and approved. Indeed, it is currently going further: concerning the basis of the Gemelli, so important for these cards, various historical references to events of the early sixteenth century, often involving the Medici family, are being widely discussed. To get an idea, just look for the word germini in the websites dedicated to tarot history. (5)

As is often the case, however, we are dealing with an explanation originally suggested more than a century and a half after the actual introduction of the term; then, with the passage of time, what had been proposed as a possible interpretation is gradually transformed into a certain interpretation.

We call attention to the temporal distance between the first use of the term and the original proposal of its interpretation, currently accepted, because it tends to overestimate the fact that that interpretation comes from the Florentine environment, going back several centuries, which gives it an antique patina to support its reliability. It is a fact that nobody proposed such an interpretation in the sixteenth century, when the proposal would really eliminate any doubt about its truthfulness. Therefore, some verification seems useful, including whether the use of the word germini as a corruption of gemini is also evidenced in cases other than playing cards.

The name germini in general

It was seen that germini could be a rather incorrect word, but with the meaning of gemini or gemelli. It goes without saying that besides this "hypothetical" word there is also the same word germini as the plural of germine, with its own meaning. It does not happen that the noun germini does not exist in Italian except as playing cards; It also exists as a correct form, and has its own meaning.

The noun germini is closely linked to another, germe [seed]. It may be that in the sixteenth century the two terms were entirely interchangeable. If they were, one could say that only germe is then left in common use and germine has become obsolete. One can cite a very similar example with vermine next to verme [worm]; I have not looked for others.

Perhaps, to better understand how things are, I would need to ask some old Tuscan farmer, rather than dictionaries; in the popular language there are often more nuances than in the written language. I find myself having an ear that has been taught in the popular language for many decades and I try to use it, recognizing, however, that in order to arrive at the beginning of the sixteenth century from decades I would still miss some.

Obviously I want to check out what the major dictionaries of the Italian language say, but before even consulting them I would like to take on my responsibility as an old Florentine, familiar with our popular language of the city and countryside. Personally, I notice a difference between germe and germine, such that, for example, only the first one can be used in a figurative sense.

I do not use the word germine, because I would have few occasions to use it; but I have well in mind what it is intended to mean. In my opinion, a familiar object that renders the idea of what is intended by germine is a soybean sprout [germoglio di soia] (Fig. 1), from those that have entered into the diets of today considered more healthful. If I mean germine as sprout, I do not mean that these two terms are synonymous, with the same meaning.

Figure 1 – Soybean sprouts.

The name of sprout [germoglio] can be used in a broader sense, up to attributing it to a new seedling [piantina], or a new branch [ramo] just grown. Instead, the germine is a little more than a seed and is distinguished from a seed pure and simple just by the fact that it precisely is starting to sprout. (I have, however, since seen that the major dictionaries also include some literary examples of germine as a synonym of seedling [pianticella].)

A sprouting seed [seme che germoglia] is a rapidly growing object and its volume grows almost visibly to the eye, until it is double what it was at the start and goes further. If one thinks about these germini and their possible applications, one’s thought goes to a seedbed [semenzaio], in which they are formed before developing again and being transplanted.

In Fig. 2, the intermediate germine is present, as the seed is clearly present at the beginning and the sprout at the end. (The figure chosen is also significant because according to the larger dictionaries the term germine would be associable with any element of the figure itself.)

The name germini (other than for twins) for playing cards

Now we have a difficult task. One should try to understand why the noun germini - now supposedly completely independent of gemini o gemelli [twins]! - has been assigned, too, to a particular type of playing cards. Of course, once soybean sprouts have been recalled, I recognize that associating that vision with playing cards is not immediate. My personal interpretation is that those particular cards have been called thus because they grew to the eye; There was a pack of normal cards, and then one with cards that ... were germinating, which had grown and greatly increased in volume; or thickness, speaking of the corresponding deck. Figure 3 might render the idea of this "germination".

Figure 2 - Successive stages of a germination.
(Http://www.esvaso.it/post.php?id=742)

Despite my familiarity with Florentine tradition, I have no difficulty admitting that I was not present when that name of the cards was used the first time and that my reconstruction is far away, in fact, in terms of time, from the real facts.

In short, even if I can convince myself of the plausibility of such an idea, I do not have the slightest claim to convince others: anyone can safely have a different idea; we are far from the scientific environment here!

The name germini for other twins

This is the last point in the discussion and may be the decisive one. The task is now "only" to check whether the word germini as gemini is also present in other cases, as well as in playing cards. In my opinion, if it is true that you can easily write germini meaning gemini, one must also find cases where the same accepted meaning is confirmed, also outside our specific specific sector of playing cards.

Figure 3 – Minchiate “germinating”.
(Cards printed by Vito Arienti, 1980)

Obviously, if in the Italian literature there are various cases where germini is written by gemini, then the interpretation occuring also among card players acquires a lot of plausibility. Conversely, if there is no such attestation, one should draw the conclusion that it is a forced and unconvincing interpretative hypothesis for the cards.

Well, I did this research in major dictionaries for references to germini as gemini, besides that possibly of playing cards, and I did not find even one. In short, there is no support whatever for that interpretation

The name germine in the dictionaries

In any case, for germine and germini, we are dealing with uncommon words; for example, in a good school dictionary (6) the term germine is found, but only with immediate return of germe [seed], an easy solution. It is necessary to use the major dictionaries of the Italian language, the ones in multiple volumes. In part it is not enough: thus the admittedly valid Treccani dictionary, (7) also present online, does not contain germini or germine, even if describing the sprout [germinello]. As for the singular noun germine, all the other major dictionaries report it, but do not agree on its exact definition. In particular, only in some is the noun immediately indicated as a synonym for seed [germe].

The Vocabulario degli Academicci della Crusca (8) begins clearly, "the same as Germe, Germoglio [Seed, Sprout [Germe, Germoglio]"; but continuing, it has "and also as Pianticella [young plant]". Tommaseo-Bellini (9) begins similarly with "germe [seed], germoglio [sprout]". The Battaglia (10) does not even indicate germe [seed], but only germoglio [sprout], and by extension the plant. The Grande dizionario Italiano dell'uso (11) confirms "germe, germoglio [seed, sprout]".

In short, in order to understand what is meant by germini, it is enough to recall its Latin origin and admit some elasticity over the centuries, even greater than that allowed by my ear. When I inserted Fig. 2 it was my intention that the germine seen be understood; if one accepts the extensions of the major dictionaries, all of the elements of the figure become acceptable, and indeed they could be pushed further beyond its growth, always remaining in the definition.

The name germini in the dictionaries

After all, it was the plural of the noun we were most interested in. Well, all these dictionaries report the word germini and refer only to the cards. Even the quotes from Italian literature are mostly the same, well known to historians of playing cards.

Here we find another result, negative but clear: in none of the words and their extensions, and in none of the examples reproduced in the literature, is a word used in place of gemini, besides the unique quotation from Note al Malmantile that has given rise to all the disinformation in this regard. For me, one can forget about that forced interpretation and stay even in the environment of playing cards with germini, without resorting to gemini and Gemelli [twins].

So is my idea as mentioned above confirmed? Not at all. After examining the major dictionaries, other roads, which might be even more convincing, have to be examined. In fact, we find other potentially definitive indications, although they are rather ambiguous, at least at first sight.

What I knew before examining the dictionaries was that there was a pack of cards called germini and a card game with the same name. Recalling the difficult priority between the egg and the chicken, I did not mind if it was the deck naming the game or vice versa, if the game had named the deck. Such a problem I put once for the lady [?], but that was in quite another game.

Our dictionaries, unexpectedly for me, if they put that question, also give an answer. We can start, logically, from the Academy of the Crusca, which is not the last entry [arrivata], even figuratively.

In the Vocabulario it is explicitly written that there was a subsequent passage of meanings:
“Germini. Nome che propriamente si dette alle Carte figurate, e aventi un valore, delle Minchiate
o Tarocchi, e che poi si estese a tutto quanto il Mazzo di esse, figurate e non figurate.

[Germini. A name that properly referred to the figure cards, having a value, of the Minchiate or Tarocchi, and which then extended to the whole pack, figure and non-figure.
Then, as successive words, are listed the game of germini, the 28 of germini, and the 11 of germini, which does not bring us anything we did not know.

In short, not only was the deck of germini to give the name to the game, and not vice versa, but in turn the deck would have taken that name of germini, originally intended only as the major cards of the deck itself. In this the Vocabulario agrees with the Note al Malmantile already mentioned, in which Paolo Minucci states regarding the the major cards:
Le 40. si dicono Germini o Tarocchi.”

[The 40 are called Germini or Tarocchi.]
The Tramater edition with "Additions and Corrections" (12) is less compromised and says what I could say too:
Sorta di giuoco che dicesi anche delle minchiate e Le carte stesse con che si giuoca

[Kind of game also known as minchiate, and the cards themselves with which it is played]
but adds in brackets: Onde Tarocchi e Germini diconsi quelle 40 carte in cui sono effigiati diversi geroglifici e segni celesti, ecc. [Such in Tarot and Germini are called those 40 cards in which different hieroglyphs and celestial signs are portrayed, etc.]

The Tommaseo-Bellini opens another road:
Germini, minchiate, sorta di giuoco; e Le carte stesse con che si giuoca; come Semi

[Germini, minchiate, kinds of games; and the cards themselves with which they are played, as Suits.
It would appear that the difference from the previous ones is not great, but in fact it is. Nobody has ever talked about suits [semi, also meaning seeds] before!

That semi [seeds, suits] have something to do with germini is also seen in Figure 2 and the thing cannot be new. On the other hand semi [seeds, suits] have something to do with playing cards, as everyone knows, if semi are meant as cups, coins, batons, swords and, if desired, the extra seme [suit] of the major cards. Up to now I did not think that the two types of semi had anything in common, besides the name, but now the same match is found - unexpectedly, at least for me - just for the term germini of our interest.

The Battaglia ends by complicating the interpretation. So far we have found two different ones, the major figures of Crusca (and Minucci) and the semi [suits, seeds] of Tommaseo-Bellini. Well, the Battaglia puts them together on the same plate.
Nel gioco delle carte, le figure dei tarocchi o delle minchiate (cioè ‘i semi’); e per estensione: le carte da gioco stesse; il gioco delle minchiate.

[In the deck of cards, the figures of tarocchi or minchiate (i.e. 'the suits'); And by extension: the playing cards themselves; the game of minchiate.]
Up to the parenthesis it limited itself to the oldest signification indicated by the Crusca, which was, admittedly, only one and the most uncertain of the three meanings (the two simpler accepted meanings of germini are obviously those of the pack and the game). The addition of the suits in parentheses confuses me completely, because in this way the two "novelties" coming out of the dictionary, germini as major figures in the game and germini as suits of cards, are combined in a manner incomprehensible to me.

Finally, the most recent Grande dizionario dell’uso considers germini as
i semi dei tarocchi e delle minchiate; per estensione, le carte da gioco stesse, il gioco delle minchiate.

[the suits of the tarocchi and minchiate; by extension, the playing cards themselves, the game of minchiate.

It might be said that the last definition can contain everything, depending on how the term semi is read: if they are germini-figures, we return to the vision of the Crusca; If they are the germini-suits of the cards, we return to Tommaseo-Bellini.

We can then summarize the situation: from the examination of the dictionaries we sought a link between germini-sprouts [germini-germogli] and germini-cards, and possibly a link between the increase of the common deck and germination. For the second question there is no confirmation; For the first, in compensation, instead of one link we find two: a first link is with the germini intended, at least initally, as the cards added to the normal deck; a second is with germini intended as suits [semi] and "so" as possible suits [semi] of the playing cards themselves.

I have no idea how long the suits of playing cards have been indicated thus, but I would not be too surprised if there were several other terms used in different times and places, even earlier. For now, at least, I do not want to go deeper, because we are already mixed up enough.

I just need to add one comment on so many dictionaries, a kind of instruction for use: unfortunately, when several different dictionaries have very similar or identical definitions, it is often not that one confirms the others independently: often this happens "dependently”, errors included.

CONCLUSION

At the beginning of the sixteenth century a card game with the new name of germini is documented in Florence. Playing card historians hold that it was the same as that later known as minchiate, and that it used the same Florentine deck of 97 cards. For sure, if the two games, and their related decks, were not exactly the same, they had to at least have been very similar.

I have suggested that the term germini for the playing cards could be derived from the considerable increase from the deck of common cards, comparable to what happens in germination processes.

After examining major dictionaries of the Italian language, there are still two possible interpretations, one that would initially limit the name of germini only to the figures outside the common pack; the other would have the same name as that for seeds [semi], meant by extension as suits [semi] of playing cards.

Discussion about the meaning of the name can be extended to the reconstruction of the priority with which it was attributed to the deck of cards and to the game using it; from what the dictionaries tell us, we could conclude that it was the deck giving the name to the game.

Finally, one thing seems to be excluded with certainty: the recurring interpretation of the name of germini as a word corrupted from gemini, with reference to the Gemini card, the highest among the cards with the signs of the zodiac present in this Florentine pack; there is no valid argument in support of such an interpretation.

NOTES

1. http://trionfi.com/germini-1517-1519.
2. The Playing-Card, Vol. 40, No. 3 (2012) 179-197. http://naibi.net/A/72-PRIFI-Z.pdf .
3. Malmantile racquistato. Poema di Perlone Zipoli con le note di Puccio Lamoni. Firenze 1688, p. 408. [For the whole passage, the Italian is quoted by Andrea Vitali at http://www.associazioneletarot.it/page.aspx?id=215, with a translation into English at http://www.associazioneletarot.it/page. ... 15&lng=ENG. Vitali's quotation does not contain the first "è" of the sentence as given by Franco.]
4. M. Dummett, The Game of Tarot. London 1980, p. 339.
5 In particular: http:/forum.tarothistory.com .
6. Nuovo Zingarelli, Bologna 1986.
7. Edition consulted: Third edition, Roma 2008.
8. Edition consulted: Fifth Impression. Firenze 1893.
9. Edition consulted: Torino-Napoli 1869.
10. Edition consulted: Torino 1970.
11. Edizione consultata: Torino 2000.
12. Edition consulted: Mantova 1849.
Last edited by mikeh on 28 Apr 2017, 13:25, edited 1 time in total.

The questions raised by Franco were discussed in more breadth (if not depth) elsewhere on THF, most notably that I know of on the thread "Dummett's Il Mondo e l'Angelo and More", starting at viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1019&start=190#p15525 and continuing for several web-pages: use “germini” as your search term. It starts on p. 20 of the thread, August 22, 2014, and ends on p. 24 of the same thread, August 28, 2014. There is additional food for thought in this discussion.

When Franco refers to THF (footnote 5), as the reference for his allusion in the text to a discussion involving the Medici family), I think he is alluding to viewtopic.php?f=11&t=947&p=13842&hilit= ... ici#p13842 and following, which is from 2013, almost exactly four years ago.

For documentation of "Ganellini" and "Gallerini", see Andrea Vitali, translated at http://www.associazioneletarot.it/page. ... 10&lng=ENG (also in Italian of course).

I have two brief and not thought out reflections on Franco's essay. First, if the ordinary suits are "seeds" and the trump suit "sprouts", then we might expect to see the triumph suit of the 78 card game also called "sprouts". I know of no such instance. Perhaps it, too, is a "seed" (maybe even with the same number of cards as the others), and the 40 card version of that suit is a "transplant" from the "seedbed" of tarocchi. "Transplant" is given by Franco one of the meanings of "germini". If so, then perhaps minchiate early on did not have so many triumphs (perhaps close to the same number as tarocchi but not all the same ones), and "germini" was introduced to mean the 40 triumph version. Then the game caught on but not the name.

But it would be of interest to find out just when the term "seme" was used for suits and if any allegorical discussions using the term are extant. I had somehow imagined that it meant "family" (as in "seed of Jesse" or "seed of Satan"), and meant a group of armed men and the family they protected, like the "famiglia" of the officers of the lily in Florence. Brother John's allegory of 1377 fits that conception, in a different way, that of various trades all serving King and Court. It would not fit the triumphs, at least as we know them. However it might fit the Marziano deck--and the other Milan decks, if Moakley's account of the suit/triumphs relationship has any truth.

Second. I would note that "ganellini" has a certain relationship in orthography to "gemelli". as opposed to "germini" and "gemini", the one Italian and the other Latin. Florence is more scholarly than Genoa. This vague commonality might be a weak/vague argument in favor of the "gemini/gemelli" origin.

Added later: I also would question why there would have to be other examples of the the corruption of "gemini" into "germini" outside of playing cards. "Gemini" is Latin and has no other use in Italian except in reference to astronomy, astrology, and mythology. There is no reason to "corrupt" (in the sense of an intentional corruption) the word in those fields. However the card game is not about any Gemini in the Greco-Roman sense, so a new word (a variation rather than a corruption) is appropriate. "Germini" suggests both "birth" and the zodiacal sign of Gemini, the highest in the deck and also the birth-sign of Dante (through which alone he could enter the next higher sphere), perhaps of all souls (as Phaeded suggests, though at that time Cancer, in Macrobius, was a more popular candidate) and maybe two Medici brothers, as Huck suggested at the above link (I think: I have difficulty following him), and also viewtopic.php?f=11&t=947&hilit=gemini+Medici. I am not agreeing with these ideas, merely suggesting that Franco has not successfully discredited it.

I detected a very small book of the year 1643 with a very curious title .... "Le Minchiate".

https://books.google.de/books?id=9-loAA ... navlinks_s

Le Minchiate; enimmi. [Edited by A. Cecchi.], by Astianatte MOLINO (pseud.), 1643

The text showed 66 poems with 4 lines of text and each poem had a very small page. Poem No. 1:

The short texts, which contained often words related to Minchiate cards, gave me the idea, that each poem might address a Minchiate card. I was puzzled by all this (especially about the condition, that I'd never read from this book and these poems) and asked Franco Pratesi about it. Franco wrote:
I remember having studied this well-known work in printed and handwritten versions. I only remember having written about this work (not this book!) in 22.pdf (naibi.net) or Naibi.net e/22 .
Indeed he had it, but his text was not in the box of his playing card articles ... http://naibi.net/e/22.pdf, but in the box for riddles, so I never noted it.
31 pages in Italian language, published in Ludica in the year 1998. I got from it, that there was an author Antonio Malatesta and a work called "La Sfigne", which means "the Sphinx". But this work seems to have developed in various steps, and the text in the small booklet, that I found, was only a part of the development.

And I found a later version of 1865, which probably presents the complete work:
MALATESTI 1865 = ANTONIO MALATESTI, La Sfinge. I brindisi dei Ciclopi e la Tina, per cura di Pietro Fanfani, Corradetti, Milano.
The small part from 1643 appears at page 223-234.
https://books.google.de/books?id=umO10N ... li&f=false
In the following chapter (start p. 235) he explains the 66 poems .... 1 poem is extern, 24 (2-25, 6 to each suit) belong to the smaller arcana, 41 (26-66) to the trumps (No 26 to the Matto).

A biography of Antonio Malatesta is offered by treccani.it.
https://www.treccani.it/enciclopedia/an ... rafico%29/

I've made some automatic translations. The style remembers me on the Prostitutes poems in the Germini context of 1553. Perhaps there is a little bit divination connected.
https://web.archive.org/web/20180215121 ... _Beginning
Huck

Thanks for drawing that to our attention! I had not noticed it either. I think stanza 28 possibly provides us with the earliest evidence of trump II being regarded as male (Re) rather than female (Regina), which helps to narrow down the time when that shift in perception must have occurred (sometime after 1553 but before 1643).

Re: Germini / Minchiate ... LeMinchiate .... 66 four-line-poems

We (MikeH and me) arranged the row of 66 poems on the base of the text of 1865. With the hope, that the text of 1865 is identical to the work in 1643. It's a mess to control that.

QUADERNALI
DELLE
MINCHIATE
SEZIONE TERZA DELLA PARTE TERZA

Colui che ci dà l'essere, e c'impasta,
E che ci azzanna perchè corriam forte,
Benchè ci ammazzi, non ci dà la morte;
Ma mostra il segno una per tutte, e basta.
Perchè i danari a me non manca mai,
Sono stimato il maggior Re del Mondo;
Ma ben in una cosa mi confondo,
Che mi vaglion più i pochi, che gli assai.
Piglio un cavallo, come a man mi viene,
E me ne vo col mio danar scoperto;
Onde per questo la corona io merto,
Benché il Re sol sia quel che vale, e tiene.
Quantunque io sembri valoroso in carte,
Le lettere mi dan poca molestia,
Che sebbene ho dell'uomo e della bestia,
I danar mi fan largo in ogni parte.
Son Fante, ma non son donna di chiasso,
Bench'io mi lasci maneggiar da tutti;
E il danaro ch'i'ho, vo che mi frutti,
Purchè sappia il Padron mandarmi a spasso.
Se tu vuoi de' danari, (ahi lasso) allato,
Non lo contar che non sarebbe onesto,
E se ti val più che altri dieci questo,
Guarda ch'ei non ti sia raffigurato.
Qui non si tratta se non di danari,
Eppur ciascun cerca attenersi al poco;
Ma quel ch'io dico, tu lo tien per gioco,
Perchè sai quando son gli uomini avari.
In que ta coppa stà la mia possanza,
Con essa in guerra vo, tanto la stimo,
E son tra’miei sempre a levarmi il primo,
Purchè non abbia il mio rival vacanza.
Al nome mio Real non faccio torto,
Mentre che solo a un Re servo di coppa;
Ogn'altro da lui'n fuor ch'in me s'intoppa,
(Parlo del seme mio) vien preso, o morto.
L’uficio di Coppier forse io dimostro,
Portando nelle man coppa splendente;
Ma se cavallo io son uomo, e serpente,
Come vuoi, che da scalco or faccia un mostro?
Non serve per portare altrui da bere,
Costui che vien qui con la coppa a porse;
Ma per pigliar quell'altre coppe forse,
Che vede in sulla tavola cadere.
Non do da ber, bench'io sia cappa aurata;
Sulle tavole vo, ma non a mensa;
E perch'io non son d'or, come un si pensa,
Sono da ciascuno in asso alfin lasciata.
Più di cinquanta tazze d'oro nette,
Da certi ho visto maneggiare a sorte,
Che non l'han rotte in tutto un dì, nè torte,
E l'han cozzate mille volte, e strette.
Son Re, non già di quei della Commedia,
Ma Re, che mi fo largo col bastone;
E non posso restar morto, o prigione,
Se quel che mi fa guerra non ha sedia.
Come a Donna Real l'onor mi preme,
Pertanto del comando ho in man la mazza;
E fuor ch'un Re, so che nessun mi ammazza,
Mentre che il mio nemico ha del mio seme.
Senza punto appoggiarmi a questa clava,
Io braveggio a cavallo, e sono a piedi;
E piglio il legno qui, come tu vedi,
Perch'ho in un corpo doppio anima brava.
Fante son io che mai Padron non vario,
Perch'in servirlo bene uso ogn'ingegno;
Ma s'ei l'adopra, i'ancor adopro il legno,
E non ci corre infra di noi salario.
Di selvaggio Briareo recisa prole
Sembran costor; ma non aver paura,
Che se lor cade addosso una figura,
Con essi tutti far da birro suole.
Non far sopra di me troppo disegno,
Ch'io vivo solo allor, ch'io do nel matto,
Ma come vuoi, che possa far gran fatto
Un baston, ch'è baston, ma non di legno?
Son Rege armato; e cerco mia ventura,
Solo in virtù della mia spada forte;
Ma s'un non può ripondermi per sorte,
Ogni piccin mi viene a far paura.
Regina di Cartagine son io,
Ma la spada d'Enea non è già questa;
Ed io non ho, come Didone, in testa 
Pensier d'aprir con essa il petto mio.
Guardati, se non vuoi restar qui morto.
Non vedi tu ch'i'ho la spada ignuda
Per pigliar l'altre spade, e voglia ho cruda,
E tutt'a un tempo son portato, e porto?
So con la spada io quanto far posso;
L'arme ch'io piglio te ne faran fede;
Ma se il mestier dell'armi è tristo a piede,
Io il provo, se un caval mi viene addosso.
Queste dai corpi trar l'alme non ponno,
Perchè non fur già disegnate a questo;
Ma a chi le tratta, se non è ben desto,
L'alma di borsa esce, e di testa il sonno.
Se spada, o brando tu mi vuoi chiamare,
Lasso, tu vedi ch’io non buco, o taglio;
Ma servo per piacere; e poco vaglio,
Ch'i' non son buona se non per lasciare.
Se dove i’entro sempre accresco il bene,
Nè di quel d'altri mai niente ho preso,
E non offendo alcun, nè sono offeso,
Dunque più di me matto è chi mi tiene.
Son fanciullo, e tra' Papi ho il primo loco,
Nè di ciò mi contento, perchè parmi,
Senz'altra sedia, non poter salvarmi,
Che, chi matto non è, mi piglia in gioco.
Papa per nome, e Re son per figura,
Come tu vedi, ed ho per due valore;
Piccino i’son, ma non mi manca il core,
S’un mi vien sotto a dargli aspra ventura.
Uno si leva sempre innanzi a me,
Perchè va in molti luoghi, ov' io non vo;
Ma vadia pur dove gli piace, io so,
Che due e uno alfin m'hanno a far tre.
Sebben trai grandi ti parrò piccino,
Trai piccini sarò sempre il maggiore,
Da quell'infuori in cui trionfa Amore ,
Che sta sopra di me per mio destino.
Cinge mia Diva a me d'allor la chioma,
E Amore entra tra noi di strali armato;
Ma se mi fusse, come il nome, dato
Il grado ancor; sare' Padron di Roma.
Dimmi, se' tu che il nome mio non sai?
Sei qui pure, e mi vedi, e ne dimandi ?
Piglio i piccini, e lascio stare i grandi,
E verso l'acqua, e non immollo mai.
Come donna ciascun poco m'apprezza,
Perché, sebbene i ho valor per sette,
Potrà, chi addosso mona Astrea mi mette,
Pigliar senza cannoni una fortezza.
Son gli Otto, ma non già quei di balia,
Anzi son gli Otto insieme, e la Giustizia;
Contuttociò chi ha ben di me notizia,
Conto non tien della persona mia.
Mira Fortuna che sua ruota muove,
Ove ignoranza maestosa innalza;
E Virtù derelitta a terra sbalza,
Che, vedrai cose a un tempo usate, e nuove.
Dieci volte per gioco ognun mi chiama,
Ch'io vo sul carro, son del Cielo un Dio;
Ma non troppo stimato è 'l valor mio,
S'io non ho il fuoco, il canchero, é la fama.
In sulle spalle ho chi mladdita l'ore;
Ond'io men vado curvo, zoppo, e vecchio;
Mortali, questo a voi serva di specchio,
Che superar si può col tempo Amore.
38 .
Dove trovossi mai ch'uno impiccato
Provasse comeme cruda la sorte?
Poichè di nuovo son soggetto a morte,
E non ho vita, eppur sono ammazzato.
Se con Un tu mi vedi essere unita
A chi col sangue suo rompe il diamante,
Se tu mi volti, e l'Un volt'abbia innante,
So che la Morte a te sarà gradita.
Morir non posso, perchè un Angel sono,
Eppur m'ammazza la mia casa stessa;
Ma mostrami un po' tu, se c' è scommessa,
Ch'allor vedrai s' io son cattivo, o buono.
Non ti curar di prendermi a pigione,
Perchè peggior di me non si ritrova 
Alcuna casa al Mondo, o vecchia, o nuova,
Perchè l'istesso Diavol n'è padrone.
Tutta amor, tutta zelo, e tutta fede,
Con le man giunte una corona adoro;
Ma forse il vulgo vil, perch'ella è d'oro,
Ch'io faccia ciò per avarizia crede.
Tengo lo specchio in man perch' ho giudizio,
Ed ho la serpe simbol di Prudenza;
Ma non mi porta il popol tenerezza,
Poich'essendo virtù servo per vizio.
Virtù son io stimato poco, o nulla,
E di quell'animal m'è dato il nome,
Che vive nelle fiamme, e non so come
Io vi mostro l'anello, e son fanciulla.
Meraviglia non è se in questo loco
Io non sono apprezzata dalla gente,
Ancorch'io abbia in man la fiamma ardente
Che non sta ben la Carità nel gioco.
Chiamami Fuoco pur, ch'io mi contento;
Ma ben più chiaro il nome mio dirai,
Se qui due croci con la penna fai,
O in numero plural declini il vento.
Sia pur turbato il mar quando il ciel tuona,
Son una Nave che sto sempre in calma;
É chi mi manda attorno, e chi mi spalma,
Vuol ch'io serva per gioco a ogni persona.
Mostran di ber, nè pur di bere han voglia,
A piè d'un ponte, varie fere alpine;
E sopra è un Pino che non fa mai pine,
Eppur mercè dell'uom quivi s'infoglia.
L'Arie colate altrui soglion far male,
E queste quì non muovono il catarro;
Ma s'elle non si contan, perchè narro
La lor virtù, che poco o nulla vale?
Ai piè mi giace un Istrice pennuto,
Ed io, che appunto so quanto mi peso,
Perché non resti da me alcuno offeso,
Cerco di fare a tutti il lor dovuto.
Angiol non son, nè Martir, com'io paio;
Eppur la palma ho presta, e l'ala ho pronta;
So ch'io non conto, eppur se alcun mi conta 
Più di tre volte, giungo al centinaio.
Io sono il sesto sopra il fuoco messo,
Solo, perchè giocando altri ne goda;
Ma s'io potessi adoperar la coda,
Non mi maneggeresti così spesso.
Sebben qui in terra mescolato vegno
Fra varie bestie, ov'io son preso, e piglio,
Quando su in Cielo di Latona il figlio 
Scalda l'immagin mia, so ch'è buon segno.
Quattro via sette guarda quanto ei fa,
Se vuoi qualche notizia aver di me;
Ma la corona mia sappi ch'ell' è
Sol di colui, che non la vede e l'ha.
Sono a un tempo e cavallo, e cavaliero;
Ma nulla vaglio, s'altri non ho meco,
Perch'i' non son contato; onde i' v'arreco 
L'util, che suole alla figure il zero.
O sia in lingua Latina, o sia in Toscana,
A dire il nome mio maisempre pecco;
Perocchè in questa piglio un granchio a secco,
E dico in quella una bestemmia strana.
Se fuor dell'acqua alcun di noi non vale,
Mentre senza favella in vita siamo;
Al trentun qui giuocando in secco stiamo, 
E l'acqua addosso or ci potria far mile.
Versare il vino in ciel non mi rincresce,
Purchè a contentar Giove io trovi il verso;
Or qui m'han posto, ove quest'acqua verso,
Sol perch'io pigli senza rete il pesce.
Più che in beltà mi pregio in esser forte,
Mentre ch'io vivo, onde ciascun mi cede;
Ma qui contrasto ancor con Ganimede;
Anzi, s'ei mi vien sotto, io gli do morte.
Ho la forza in un punto, e s’io mi metto 
A guerra co' leoni, io n’ho l'onore;
Ma se il mio nome vuoi saper, lettore,
Va, leggi or tu dove i Latini han letto.
Doppia beltà, cui manto alcun non copre,
Passa ogni segno, e va sino alle stelle;
E se l'aria non nuoce a queste belle,
Null'altro fia, che in danno lor s'adopre.
Con le fanciulle tento mia fortuna,
Perchè con esse io vinco la battaglia;
Onde che più di me si stimi, o vaglia,
Cosa non troverai sotto la Luna.
Non guarda se il mio corpo cresce, o scema,
Colui che in suo poter qui mi riserra;
Bench'egli scorga due maggiori in terra;
Perfin ch’il Sol non è levato, trema.
Ben mostro ai segni quante sien mie posse,
Che di notte, e di dì son Sol terreno;
Ma levomi a bugn'otta nondimeno,
Perchè danno mi fan cert' arie grosse.
Aria ho di grande, e sopra il Sole impero;
Ma non contento del secondo onore,
Soffrir non posso un ch' è di me maggiore,
Che me vincendo ha vinto il Mondo intero.
Quando con forme angeliche e divine
Apparirò dando alla Tromba il suono,
Mal fia per quel, ch'avaro altrui del buono,
S'è con la roba in man ridotto al fine.

Last edited by Huck on 17 Feb 2022, 14:26, edited 2 times in total.
Huck

Germini / Minchiate ... LeMinchiate .... 66 four-line-poems translation

QUADERNALS
OF
MINDS
SECTION THREE

He who gives us being, and kneads us,
And who bites us, that we may run hard,
Though he kills us, does not give us death;
But shows the sign one and all.
For I never lack money,
I am esteemed the greatest king in the world;
But in one thing I am confused,
That the few are more valuable to me than the many.
I take a horse, as at my hand comes,
And away I go with my money uncovered;
Wherefore for this I deserve the crown,
Though the King alone is what he is worth and holds.
Though I seem valiant in cards,
Letters give me little trouble,
That though I have of man and beast,
The money makes way for me on every side.
I am a knave, but not a woman of noise,
Though I let myself be handled by all;
And the money I have, I want to make it bear fruit,
So long as my Master knows how to send me on my way.
If you want money, (ouch!) take a look,
Do not count it, for that would not be honest,
And if this be worth more to thee than ten others,
See that he is not represented to you.
Here it is a question of nothing but money,
And yet each one seeks to keep to the little;
But what I say, thou keepest as a joke,
For thou knowest when men are stingy.
In this cup is my power,
With it I go to war, so much I esteem it,
And I am among my own always the first to rise,
So long as my rival has no holiday.
I do not wrong my royal name,
While I serve only a king with a cup;
Everyone else from him except me is hindered,
(I speak of my seed) is taken, or dead.
The office of Coppier perhaps I demonstrate,
Carrying in my hands a shining cup;
But if I am a horse, I am a man and a snake,
How do you expect me to be a monster as a stepper?
It is no use to bring others a drink,
He who comes here with the cup to offer;
But to take that other cup, perhaps,
Which he sees falling on the table.
I do not give a drink, though I am a golden cape;
On the tables I go, but not at table;
And because I am not of gold, as one thinks,
I am left by each one in the ace at last.
More than fifty cups of gold net,
By some I have seen wielded by lot,
Who have not broken them in all a day, nor twisted them,
And have broken them a thousand times, and tightened them.
I am King, not of those in the Comedy,
But King, who makes way with his staff;
And I cannot stay dead or imprisoned,
If he that warrieth with me hath no chair.
As honour is dear to Donna Real,
Therefore of command I have the club in my hand;
And except for a king I know that no one will kill me,
While my enemy has of my seed.
Without so much as leaning on this club,
I ride on horseback, and am on foot;
And I take the wood here, as thou seest,
For I have in a double body a good soul.
I am the knave who never varied from my master,
Because in serving him well I use all my wits;
But if he uses it, I still use the wood,
And there is no salary between us.
Of the savage Briareo cut off from his offspring
These seem to be, but fear not,
If a figure fall upon them,
They are all used to being a breeder.
Do not draw too much upon me,
For I live only when I am mad,
But how wouldst thou have it that a stick
A staff that is a staff, but not of wood?
I am a king armed, and I seek my fortune,
Only by virtue of my strong sword;
But if one cannot answer me by chance,
Every little one comes to frighten me.
I am Queen of Carthage,
But this is not Aeneas' sword;
And, like Dido, I have not in my head
The thought of opening my breast with it.
Look at yourself, if you don't want to stay here dead.
Seeest thou not that I have the sword naked
To take the other swords, and I have a raw desire,
And all at once I am carried and carried?
I know with the sword what I can do;
The weapons that I take shall give thee credit;
But if the craft of arms is sad on the foot,
I will prove it, if a horse comes at me.
They cannot draw their weapons from their bodies,
Because they were not designed for this;
But he who treats them, if he is not well awake,
The soul from the bag goes out, and sleep from the head.
If sword or sword thou wouldst call me,
Lasso, thou seest that I neither pierce nor cut;
But I serve for pleasure, and little I sift,
For I am not good but to leave.
If where I enter I always increase the good,
Nor of that of others have I ever taken anything,
And I offend no one, nor am I offended,
Therefore more mad than myself is he who holds me.
I am a child, and among the Popes I have the first place,
Nor am I content with that, because it seems to me,
Without another chair I cannot save myself,
That he who is not mad takes me in hand.
Pope by name, and King I am by figure,
As you see, and I have two values;
I'm small, but my heart is not lacking,
If one comes under me to give him hard luck.
One always rises before me,
Because he goes to many places where I do not go;
But let him go where he pleases, I know,
That two and one at last make me three.
Though among the great I shall seem small to thee,
Among the little ones I shall always be the eldest,
From that side in which Love triumphs,
Who is above me by my destiny.
My Diva girds my hair from then on,
And Love enters between us armed with arrows;
But if, like the name, it were given me
I would be Master of Rome.
Tell me, are you the one who does not know my name?
Are you here too, and do you see me, and do you ask?
I take the little ones, and leave the big ones alone,
And to the water I pour, and never immolate.
As a woman each one appreciates me little,
Because, though I have valour for seven,
Whoever puts Astrea on me may be able
Can take a fortress without cannon.
They are the eight, but not those of a nurse,
On the contrary, they are the Eight together, and Justice;
Therefore those who have good news of me,
do not take my person into account.
Look at Fortune who moves her wheel
Where ignorance majestically raises;
And derelict virtue to the ground it throws,
That you will see things at once used and new.
Ten times for play each one calls me,
I ride in my chariot, I am of Heaven a God;
But my valour is not too highly esteemed,
If I have not the fire, the canker, and the fame.
On my shoulders I have one who mulls the hours;
So that I go less stooped, lame, and old;
Let this serve as a mirror for you,
Love can be overcome in time.
38 .
Where was it ever found that one who was hanged
To feel how cruel fate is?
For I am again subject to death,
And I have no life, yet I'm killed.
If with Un you see me united
Who with his blood breaks the diamond,
If you turn me round, and the Un turns before you,
I know that Death will be pleasing to you.
I cannot die, for I am an Angel,
And yet my own house kills me;
But show me a little if there's a wager,
Then you'll see if I'm bad or good.
Do not trouble yourself to take me for rent,
For worse than me there is not to be found
Any house in the world, either old or new,
For the Devil himself is its master.
All love, all zeal, and all faith,
With clasped hands I adore a crown;
But perhaps the vulgar crowd, because it is of gold,
That I do this out of avarice believes.
I hold the mirror in my hand because I have judgment,
And I have the serpent symbolic of Prudence;
But the people bring me no tenderness,
For being virtue I serve out of vice.
Virtue I am esteemed little or nothing,
And of that animal is given me the name,
That lives in the flames, and I know not how
I show you the ring, and I am a maiden.
No wonder that in this place
I am not appreciated by the people,
Even though I have in my hand the burning flame
That charity is not well at play.
Call me Fire, for I am content;
But far clearer shall my name you say,
If here you make two crosses with your pen,
Or in plural numbers the wind declines.
Let the sea be troubled when the sky thunders,
I am a ship that is always calm;
He who sends me round, and he who smears me,
Wants me to serve as a game to every person.
They show that they drink, nor even to drink do they desire,
At the foot of a bridge, various alpine beasts;
And above is a pine tree that never makes pine,
And yet at the mercy of man it flourishes here.
The airs poured forth by others can hurt,
And these here do not move the phlegm;
But if they are not counted, why do I narrate
Their virtue, which is of little or no value?
At my feet lies a feathered porcupine,
And I, who know just how much I weigh,
That no one may be offended by me,
I try to do to all their due.
I am no angel, nor martyr, as I am a pair;
Yet the palm I have lent, and the wing I have ready;
I know that I count not, and yet if any one count me
More than three times, I reach a hundred.
I am the sixth upon the fire placed,
Only that others may enjoy it by playing;
But if I could use my tail,
You would not handle me so often.
Though here on earth I come mingling
Among various beasts, where I'm caught, and catch,
When up in heaven Latona's son
He warms my imagination, I know it is a good sign.
Four ways seven, see what he does,
If thou wouldst have some news of me;
But know that my crown is mine, and that it belongs
Only of him who does not see it and has it.
I am at once horse and rider;
But nothing I see, if others have not me,
Because I am not counted; hence I bring you
The use that zero has of figures.
Either in Latin, or in Tuscany,
I always sin in speaking my name;
For in this I catch a crab dry,
And in that one I say a strange blasphemy.
If out of the water some of us are not worthy,
While without speech we are in life;
On the thirty-first here we play in the dry,
And the water on us now might make us heavy.
I do not regret to pour wine into heaven,
Provided I find a way to please Jove;
Now here they have placed me, where this water I pour,
Only that I may catch the fish without a net.
More than in beauty I prize myself in being strong,
While I live, so that each one yields to me;
But here I contend again with Ganymede;
Indeed, if he comes under me, I give him death.
My strength is in one place, and if I set myself
To war with the lions, I have the honour;
But if my name you wish to know, reader,
Go, read now where the Latins have read.
Double beauty, whose mantle no one covers,
It passes every sign, and goes as far as the stars;
And if the air does not harm these beauties,
Nothing else will be, that to their harm is adopted.
With the maidens I try my luck,
Because with them I win the battle;
So that more than me they may be esteemed, or be worthy,
What thou shalt not find beneath the moon.
He looks not at whether my body grows or wanes,
He who in his power here keeps me;
Though he behold two majors on earth;
Till the sun is raised, he trembles.
I well show by signs how many are my poses,
That by night and day I am the earthly Sun;
But nevertheless I rise to lie,
Because certain great airs harm me.
Air I have of greatness, and over the Sun I reign;
But not content with the second honour,
I cannot suffer one who is greater than myself,
Who by winning me has conquered the whole world.
When with angelic and divine forms
I'll appear and give the trumpet its sound,
Woe to him who is greedy of good,
Is reduced to his end with his goods in his hand.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Last edited by Huck on 13 Mar 2022, 11:49, edited 1 time in total.
Huck

Germini / Minchiate .... Le Minchiate card list

L'EDIPO
OYVERO
DICHIARAZIONI
DELLA PARTE III, SEZIONE III DEGLI ENIMMI
DI
ANTONIO MALATESTI

1 Tutte le carte insieme.
Ci azzanna. Liscia col dente .
Ci ammazzi. Faccia mazzo.
Mostra il segno. Il Bollo.
2 Re di danari.
3 Regina di danari.
4 Cavallo. di danari.
Valoroso in carte. Nella carta ov'è dipinto .
Dell'uomo, e della bestia . Perchè è un Centauro .
5 Fantina di danari.
6 Asso di danari.
7 Carte bianche di danari.
Attenersi al poco . Perchè oaglion men coppe, e men danari, e più spade, e più bastoni .
8 Re di coppe.
9 Regina di coppe.
10 Cavallo di coppe.
11 Fantina di coppe.
12 Asso di coppe.
13 Carte bianche di coppe.
14 Re di bastoni.
15 Regina di bastoni.
16 Cavallo di bastoni.
17 Fante di bastoni.
18 Carte bianche di bastoni.
19 Asso di bastoni.
20 Re di spade.
21 Regina di spade
22 Cavallo di spade.
23 Fante di spade.
24 Carte bianche di spade.
25 Asso di spade.
26 Il Matto.
27 L'uno Papino.
28 Papa due.
29 Papa tre.
30 Papa quattro.
31 Papa cinque.
32 Sesto Tarocco
33 Settimo Tarocco.
34 Ottavo Tarocco.
35 Nono Tarocco.
36 Decimo Tarocco.
37 Undecimo Tarocco.
38 Duodecimo Tarocco.
39 Terzodecimo Tarocco.
40 Decimoquarto Tarocco.
41 Il Decimoquinto Tarocco, il quale è detto la casa del diavolo
42 Il decimosesto, detto prima Salamandra.
43 Il decimosettimo, detto seconda Salamandra.
44 Il decimottaro, detto terza Salamandra.
45 Il decimonono, detto quarta Salamandra.
46 il ventesimo Tarocco.
47 Il ventesimoprimo Tarocco.
48 Il dentesimosecondo.
49 11 ventesimoterzo.
50 Il ventesimoquarto.
51 Il ventesimoquinto.
52 Il ventesimosesto.
53 Il ventesimosettimo.
54 Il ventesimottavo.
55 Il ventesimonono, il quale rappresenta Chirone Centauro famoso.
56 Il trentesimo, che il Granchio, detto in Latino Cancer.
57 Il trentesimoprimo.
58 Il trentesimosecondo .
59 Il trentesimoterzo .
60 Il trentesimo quarto, che è un Toro.
Il letto. Toro dicesi in Latino.
61 Il trentesimoquinto.
62 La stella.
63 La Luna.
64 Il Sole.
65 Il Mondo.
66 Le Trombe.
Last edited by Huck on 17 Feb 2022, 18:38, edited 1 time in total.
Huck

I haven't even had a detailed look the entire text yet, but already I find myself noticing several interesting things (in addition to the gender of trump 2, which I noted earlier):

- He uses "carte bianche" to refer to the numeral cards, which is quite different from the way it was used in earlier times and other places

- This is possibly the earliest evidence of the use of the term "papi" for the lowest five trumps in Minchiate (please correct me if there is an earlier example)

- The four added virtues (Hope, Prudence, Faith, Charity) are called salamandre, which explains the use of that term in the Meretrice poem of 1553 (in the third stanza of that poem): it was evidently a technical term from the game