Re: Labarinto

hoo wrote:So please, tell me 'Cadia', what is it ? What are you wearing ?[/i]
Sorry, I buggered up the spelling, it's chlamys. Well, I anglicized the spelling I suppose.

The relevant book is called Medieval Dress and Fashion by Margaret Scott; ISBN 0712350675. In that book she explains fashion history using illustrations from Medieval manuscripts. Really interesting book.

So the chlamys is a cloak with a split in the middle. It used to be worn with the slit over one arm, so that you could wield a sword with the other arm, but at some point A Bright Person (or a fashion iconoclast) around the middle of the 10th or 11 century, turned it a new way so that the slit was at the front, leaving the arms somewhat pinned under the cloak and making the person resemble a beetle. In Greek, the genus for beetle is also chlamys, hence the name. I'm not sure if the word became attached to the genus of beetle before or after the cloak. I think after since the word means "mantle." In any case people look like beetles when the cloak is worn with the opening at the front.

Here is a snap from the book showing a Byzantine emperor wearing it the regular way and then some of his officials wearing it the "new" way. They do look like beetles.
Chlamys.jpg
Now, one would think cloaks were cloaks, but there are all kinds of different ones with different cut of cloth. I hauled this book out when I got my playing cards of the Kings and Queens of England, who are depicted wearing many types of cloaks.

Here is an online article entitled The Ubiquitous Cloak that you might find interesting.
http://www.revivalclothing.com/article-pencloaks.aspx

I think I'm playing to the wrong crowd with textile history, but I persist in trying to bring meaning and depth to this forum. :))

[Edited to add relevant graphic and pertinent blather about beetles.]

Hi, Ross,
Ross G. R. Caldwell wrote:Mariano Tomatis has made a simple and most elegant digital version of Ghisi's Labarinto...
I added some links to my post from yesterday. I included a link to this thread, to Mariano's blog posts from yesterday and today, and to a thread at The Magic Cafe which has information about the larger family of "Book Test" magic tricks to which Ghisi's Labyrinth belongs, along with a couple additional images. Mariano's post today reviews a book titled I giochi matematici di Fra' Luca Pacioli.
Mariano wrote:The subtitle "tricks, puzzles and pastimes of late fifteenth century" reveals the core of the book: a rich collection of puzzles, many of them that hide sophisticated sleight of hand, Luca Pacioli explained in great detail and practical examples.
This is the context of Ghisi's Labyrinth.

Best regards,
Michael
We are either dwarfs standing on the shoulders of giants, or we are just dwarfs.

When I tried to look for the meaning of Labarinto by Andreas Ghisi. I just found this:

The Labarinto uses this series of 50 images, with a number of minor changes. 'Chiromantia' and 'Felicita' replace 'Calliope' and 'Terpsichore' of the 2nd decade. 'Mathematica' replaces 'Arithmetica' from the 3rd decade, 'Industria' replaces 'Cosmico' in the 4th decade, and 'Quatro Orbi' replaces 'Prima Causa' in the 5th decade. The additional ten images in a similar style seem to be linked in polarised pairs

The Labarinto was presented as a game, enigma or mathematical puzzle, the rules for which are not easy to decipher, though they probably involve permutations or perhaps the symmetries of group theory. Ghisi mentions that the outcome of his 'game' depends entirely on the genius of the player. In the copy of this work in the Stirling-Maxwell collection in Glasgow University Library.

:D

Dashquid
fatlossprofessional.co.uk
fatlossprofessional
mobilehelper
securetrip
whichpetcover
google
abc
facebook
craigslist
Portable dvd player