Re: "The 5x14 Theory: An Investigation" part II

Thanks for the caution about Vogt-Leurssen. Well, I am intrigued enough to buy her book. It should get here in a couple of weeks. And thanks for the elaboration about the early 1450's. I of course think the cards as a public display are more connected to winning over the nobles to accepting Francesco than to any particular topical theme. Could you say more about why you think the 6 additional cards are connected to Ippolitta's wedding?

mikeh wrote:Thanks for the caution about Vogt-Leurssen. Well, I am intrigued enough to buy her book. It should get here in a couple of weeks. And thanks for the elaboration about the early 1450's. I of course think the cards as a public display are more connected to winning over the nobles to accepting Francesco than to any particular topical theme. Could you say more about why you think the 6 additional cards are connected to Ippolitta's wedding?
The dating theory (May 1465) clearly took its begin by the observation of the similarity of the Medici 6 palle and the 6 cards and "Ippolita's wedding preparation" were not deciding (the big role of weddings for the production of Trionfi cards was not so clear earlier).
Much details were at the begin of the theory not known, but 1465 was already in the suspicion at the begin of the 5x14-theory 1989 (the date of Lorenzo's visit in Milan was known and it was clear, that there were not too much meeting points at high level between Milan/Florence). But the totally precise overlap of the heraldic change, which also happened in May 1465 is new data from the Trionfi.com research, also the involvement of the Medici Chapel symbolic is new and much other minor details. It was not known, that Florence allowances 1450/63 existed, it was not known, that Minchiate was mentioned 1466.

Things are much easier to research nowadays than in 1989 or even in 2004/05 ... books.google.com has improved many conditions.

What you in the meantime probably totally overlooked, are various discussions in winter 2007/2008 at Aeclectic. The topic was Fama with an octagonal halo ... a lot of things and the topic jumped from thread to thread, so why Prudentia-World-Fama is mixed. Also there is something about the Charles VI as a deck with 16 trumps, and that it seems to be related to the Cary-Yale. And there is a dating.

http://tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t= ... =christina
http://tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=88143
http://tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=91378
http://tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=91295
http://tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=91188
Huck
http://trionfi.com

Huck: I haven't read all the links you gave me yet. But I have something else I need help on. It is from two or three threads back, when you were looking at the birds in the sunbursts on the CY, and we were talking about phoenices and doves.

My question is: how do we know that, when Petrarch invented his famous emblem for GianGazeallo Visconti, with "A bon droyt," the bird in the sunburs was a dove? I know it's in Kaplan's Encyclopedia, and Trionfi others say it as a fact, but what is the primary source?

When I do a Google search with the words "A bon droyt" and Petrarch, I get an entirely different answer, from the people who specialize in medieval song lyrics. According to them, the bird was a turtledove. As we know from the Michelino, turtledoves and doves are symbolically quite different in meaning (faithfulness vs. pleasures, Pallas vs. Venus).

Google Books gives me Music in the Castle: Troubadours, books, and orators in Italian courts of the Thirteenth, Fourteenth, and Fifteenth Centuries, by F. Alberto Gallo, Anna Herlotz, and Kathryn Krug, pp. 57-58. The authors describe a series of sonnets by Francesco di Vannozza, poet-musician at Giangaleazzo's court from 1389:
...it opens with a "canzon morale fatta per la divisa del conte di virtue (moral canzone written for the heraldic device of the count of Virtue). This introductory canzone describes the emblem and motto created by Petrarch for Giangaleazzo on the occasion of his marriage to Isabelle of France: a white turtledove within a sun emanating golden rays, and the French motto "A bon droyt" (with good reason: by right)...
The authors then talk about the miniatures that accompanied the verses, combining emblem, motto, and music. They continue:
"These same three elements are even more tightly and functionally grouped in a contemporary musical composition with the following descriptive French text:

Le ray au solely qui dret son karmene
En soy bracant la douce tortorelle
A bon droyt semble que en toy perfect regne.

The sun ray which leads a correct melody,
The sweet turtle dove rocking herself,
It seems that a bon droyt, perfection reigns in you.
These are lines from a famous canon by Johannes Ciconia; the song itself, "Le Ray au Soleyl," is enjoying a renaissance of its own these days and is available in both traditional and (I think) Latin dance arrangements (the latter on a CD entitled "Alarm will sound"). The point is that the song alludes to the elements of Petrarch's emblem. See also an article entitled "Virtue and the Viper: Emblems and Imagery at the Court of the Visconti," for the San Francisco Bay Area Early Music News for April 2007, by Carolann Buff, on p. 9, available on-line, which makes the point explicitly.

The latter article also talks about the turtledove as a heraldic device. Jacopo da Balogna, at the court of Bernabo Visconti, has a song with the words, "I was a phoenix of life tender and pure, now/ Transformed into turtledove." Buff explains that these words describes Bernabo's wife Beatrice della Scala, from Verona: "During her years as a young woman in her father's court, her emblem was the phoenix, but upon her marriage to Bernabo she adopted the Visconti turtledove" (p. 9).

Another song by Jacopo is "Aquilla altera-Creatura gentile-Uccel di dio," written for the marriage of Gian Galeazzo Visconti and Isabella de Valois, 1360. "The madrigal is full of the ancient Visconti emblems of the eagle and the sun," Buff reports. So the eagle was not in itself an emblem bestowed upon the Viscontis by the Emperor.

Apparently the phoenix was not a Visconti emblem. It may have been for the Savoys. There was a famous emblem (combination of motto and picture) about her. Paradin (1562) wrote that after the death of Galeazzo, she put on her small coins the device of a phoenix in the midst of a fire, with the words,, "being made lonely, I follow God alone" (Shakespeare and the Emblem Writers, p. 234, in Google Books). The explanation was that there was only one phoenix at any one time. Other emblem writers spoke similarly. Of course these stories don't prove anything. (I did see an article on-line stating explicitly that the phoenix was a Savoy device, but I can’t find it now.)

But perhaps turtledoves, at least, are more numerous in the cards than we thought. What do you think?

Also, I have been looking more into phoenix symbolism. In the few examples I have found of a phoenix in a tree-and similarly of an eagle on a tree--there is no fire under it. The most important one is from Paris 1600, on the title page of the French translation of the Hypnoerotomachia--just the right place for it to have influenced the Dodal and Chosson. I have posted the details, with five new illustrations, on the ATF thread "Greek statues & Iconography in the Tarot Images."

Huck: OK, I've read the links you suggested, plus the links on those links! I was looking for material about Milan. I did see one thing that I'm going to have to check further: Ross's statement, if I got it right, that the idea of having "triumph" parades modeled on Petrarch started in Florence, and that there is no evidence that they even knew about "I Trionfi" in Milan. It had never occurred to me that the Milanese humanists didn't know "I Trionfi," a major work by a poet that had spent every summer at Pavia. I will have to do more checking on this point. That's been dogma since Moakley. Perhaps you can guide me.

About Florence, I had already uncritically accepted that the Charles VI originated in Florence. But it was good to see the iconographic details. For the actual painted cards, 1463 is as good a date as any. But the images are another thing. What is there about the images that excludes an earlier date? And what what does Florence have to do with Milan and the 6 additional cards? Please spoon-feed me again. They don't look much like their Florentine equivalents. Are you saying that the whole concept of Star, Moon, and Sun cards was invented then, and also that particular expression of Temperance, the woman with the jugs? Otherwise I don't see what else might have been borrowed.

Much of what I read in the links you gave me had to do with the Charles VI "World" card, and whether it was really Prudentia or Fame. After reading both sides, I could not choose one or the other. I haven't studied Florence very much. To me the PMB World card evolves from the Cary-Yale. I will try to put together some thoughts and documentation on that issue; it will take a couple of days.

To me the PMB World card is quite different from the Charles VI, with a different origin and environment. The Rosenwald card is different from either. Yet the various cities' cards did not evolve in isolation from one another, so it is an interesting question, what the Milanese World cards have in common with the Charles VI. So I would still appreciate knowing how you think the Charles VI discussion relates to the PMB cards by the second artist.

One small detail in one of your posts that I'd like explained. It doesn't have to do with tarot, but with Florentine-French relations. You said that the Florentines got permission from the French to use the fleur-de-lys. I thought that was a symbol that the Florentines had been using for centuries. In the 1200's, for example, the Guelphs used a red fleur-de-lys (or whatever they called it) on a white background, and the Ghibelenes had a white one on a red background. The Guelphs won, and Dante after his exile became a Ghibeline. You can see the red fleur-de-lys on the gates of Florence in a Sienese illuminated Paradiso, 1440's, with a devil above pouring florins into the open hands of a pope (http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File: ... _paolo.jpg). The Sienese were not fond of Florence!

Hi Mike,
mikeh wrote:I did see one thing that I'm going to have to check further: Ross's statement, if I got it right, that the idea of having "triumph" parades modeled on Petrarch started in Florence, and that there is no evidence that they even knew about "I Trionfi" in Milan. It had never occurred to me that the Milanese humanists didn't know "I Trionfi," a major work by a poet that had spent every summer at Pavia. I will have to do more checking on this point. That's been dogma since Moakley. Perhaps you can guide me.
I hope you have misunderstood the implications of whatever I said there (sorry I'm not sure which thread it was on). If you haven't, then I'll have to correct or clarify what I said.

It should be clarified though - it is not that Florence invented triumphal parades, but only that some modeled on Petrarch's sequence in I trionfi are attested first in Florence (I can't remember when, but I'd guess Lorenzo de Medici). So they are late. Since the allegorical subjects of Petrarch's particular triumphs and triumphs in general can overlap a lot, this might be splitting hairs.

For Milan and I trionfi, the earliest reference I have found to it being discussed in Milanese circles is a 1439 letter of Guiniforte Barzizza (then Filippo's court orator (IIRC)) to the knight "Francisco Scitigles" (unidentified as far as I can tell), which discusses the theme of Love and quotes Petrarch's Trionfo d'amore extensively.

1439 is actually pretty early for humanist discussions of I trionfi - I'm not aware of anything earlier, in fact (although the consensus is that the (extremely brief) commentary on the Trionfi known from its first printer in 1473 as the "chiose Portilia" (after Andrea Portilia, printer) has material dating back to the late 14th century).

We know Filippo liked the volgare literature as much, if not moreso, than the Latin; Guiniforte's father Gaspare commented on Dante's Inferno for him, which survives; I believe Gaspare, along with others, also commented on the Canzonieri, or studied it with Filippo Maria. One of these survives, written by Filelfo. I believe it is highly likely that Guiniforte discussed the Trionfi with Filippo, as well as, obviously, other Milanese. I think we should look to the late 1430s, in Milan and Florence alike, as the time when the Trionfi started to get attention.

Sorry I can't be more specific at the moment - there are many parts of this thread I need to address. I'll come back with better comments and translations later.

Ross

mikeh wrote:Huck: OK, I've read the links you suggested, plus the links on those links! I was looking for material about Milan. I did see one thing that I'm going to have to check further: Ross's statement, if I got it right, that the idea of having "triumph" parades modeled on Petrarch started in Florence, and that there is no evidence that they even knew about "I Trionfi" in Milan. It had never occurred to me that the Milanese humanists didn't know "I Trionfi," a major work by a poet that had spent every summer at Pavia. I will have to do more checking on this point. That's been dogma since Moakley. Perhaps you can guide me.
For this ... it probably can't be said, that "I Trionfi" (the poem) or triumphal processions weren't known, but they were not always focussed and their actuality depended at the opportunities. Generally "peace" is a condition, which attracts Trionfi, and another condition is "enough money" - context and reason should be obvious and plausible. So we observe 2 important Trionfi festivities (Alfonso and Filippo Maria) and a theatre show (from Alberti, with involvement of triumphal procession) in 1423-1425. This time was relatively wealthy, as Milan had settled its difficulties, and Milan and Venice had a longer peace. This was disrupted in 1425 and a series of wars (it was not always wars, but the wars repeated) occurred till 1441 (so no time for big triumphal events), with the speciality, that in 1438-39 we have had the council of Ferrara-Florence. Ferrara didn't realize, that the council was a good opportunity for festivities, but Florence did. So we have 3 greater actions during the council of Florence (1439) and there was public interest to have more of it.
During the council the interest in literature developed ... cause the Greek delegation brought some unknown manuscripts, and in the background of the council the whole got the character of a book fair (already in Ferrara). With this the intellectual dicussion found a new field with the ability to push new topics ... for instance Petrarca and his "I Trionfi".
So we have a threefold Trionfi-movement ... books, card decks and triumphal processions. And naturally other connected stuff, as for instance increased interest in education and other humanistic ideas. And the Medici developed (or better increased) the concept of sponsorship to keep the political power.

In 1441 we've a Medici commission for an illuminated edition of Petrarca's "I Trionfi" and it's said, that it was the first. And in the same year we've the first Trionfi cards (beside the earlier Michelino deck). And we've a great triumphal festivity with the marriage Sforza - Bianca Maria. And we've a new peace. And a literary contest in Florence in the same month of the marriage organised by Alberti.
About Florence, I had already uncritically accepted that the Charles VI originated in Florence. But it was good to see the iconographic details. For the actual painted cards, 1463 is as good a date as any.
... .-) ... this date is not as good as any ... this statement would overlook, that Florence had some life of its own.

We have two Trionfi statements from this time: 1450 and 1463. Both are official allowances.

The 1450 allowance appears after a phase of increased prohibitions during the Pope-Eugen-phase. Pope Eugen reached the height of his influence in ca. 1444 and he was strongly assimilated to playing card haters like San Bernardino and the Franciscans. Eugen lived a longer time in Florence and the money of the Medici made him live ... in his earlier reignment Roman citizens had driven him out of their city. Eugen took bloody revenge later. This all was answered by increased playing card prohibition in Florence.
In 1450 Milan was conquered by Sforza and Cosimo had sponsored Sforza. So a new alliance occurred between Milan-Florence ... after decades of wars. So Florence adapted itself to Milan and allowed more card playing in 1450. But the dominance of the Medici in Florence diminished for a few years in the 50's, giving more place and power for the conservatives in Florence. So what would happen ... some "recent laws" were undermined, probably the view on playing cards changed again.
At the end of the 50s the Medici regained there strength. In 1463 the allowance was repeated. In 1463 Lorenzo was 14 years old, he was "grown up" know ... he got a Trionfi deck. And naturally Florence got a new law about playing cards.

Surely Florence had an own Trionfi deck in 1450. But we don't know, how it looked like.
But the images are another thing. What is there about the images that excludes an earlier date?
The Morgante wasn't "in work" then. Regiomontanus was not in Italy. Lorenzo was too young to play cards. Also we've ideas like Western Emperor and Eastern Emperor in the later Florentine Minchiate, which we don't find in the 16 trumps of the Charles VI, but which might fit well for an earlier deck in 1450.

The Chariot of the Charles VI has Medici heraldic ... Lorenzo is too young in 1450.
And what what does Florence have to do with Milan and the 6 additional cards? Please spoon-feed me again.
About this I already talked some posts before.
For the six added cards: These were produced in our opinion in May 1465, in the preparations of the bride's journey to Naples (the considered bride is Ippolitta). The actual reasons:

In 1466 the term "Minchiate" appears for the time in Florence, reflecting a sort of "new kind of Trionfi deck" made probably short before.
The Medici changed their heraldic in May 1465 - "seven palle" were altered to "6 palle" and one of the palle was allowed to carry the French Lille. The dramatic background: the new king French Louis XII had gotten trouble with Burgundy and some of the French nobility and was near on the edge to loose its kingdom. So he needed urgently help of his Italian friends (Sforza and the Medici) to survive. As part of the deal, which included militaric help of the Sforza and money from the Medici, the heraldic change of the Medici was realised in haste.

Already the older heraldic was connected to virtues (probably 7 virtues), now the question arose, what one wished to express with 6 palle. The family had recently finished the paintings in the Medici chapel, which had its topic in the triumphal march of the 3 holy kings ... indeed we have for the year 1465 a triumphal festivity in Florence recorded with "3 holy kings" topic (no date known). The kings are relatable to Star-Moon-Sun, especially as one of the kings was a black king. 3 virtues remained connected to 3 additional heraldic feathers, just Justice was missing (as in the cards).
The motifs were chosen in a haste, the three-fold girl at Temperance - Star - Moon is rather boring. The Florence delegation to the wedding of Ippolita was lead by the very young Lorenzo, who was on a sort of initiatory personal triumphal march through Italian cities, presenting himself as a young men and heir of the Medici influence. In this slower approach to the festivities in Milan he also crosssed Ferrara.
Meanwhile in France the actual political decisions had fallen. The news of France might have reached Lorenzo during his stay in Ferrara.
It is reported, that Lorenzo left Ferrara "too late" for unknown reasons, at least his father was not satisfied with him. Naturally Ferrara could fulfill the wish for a few playing cards (they were known to solve such problems), but anyway, even that needs some time.
Art history later developed the opinion, that the additional 6 cards were made in Ferrara cause "Ferrarese style" was recognized.

So it seems, that 6 Medici cards, made in Ferrara, arrived more or less punctually the wedding preparations in Milan. Lorenzo left a good impression and accompanied the bride towards Florence, where the now greater delegation of the bride's entourage spend some time during the Giovanni festivities (24th of June). Things became complicated later, when Jacop Piccinino was killed by Ferrante in Naples and Sforza stoppped the entourage for some time. The bride arrived Naples very late in the year. Lorenzo had accompanied it only till the Florentine border.
Mike wrote: They don't look much like their Florentine equivalents. Are you saying that the whole concept of Star, Moon, and Sun cards was invented then, and also that particular expression of Temperance, the woman with the jugs? Otherwise I don't see what else might have been borrowed.
If we follow the concept, that the 16 Charles VI trumps form a complete set, intended to match the 16 chess figures (as already observed with the Cary-Yale Tarocchi, and as recently speculated for the 16 gods of Michelino]
then we've no choice: There was a sun, there was a moon and a third position, which was filled by the Fool (in the Charles VI the Morgante, an unfinished poem by the "friend" Pulci) - the star was missing. And this deck idea is somehow datable to 1463.

The next activity (May 1465) is Lorenzo's journey to Milan, the suspicion is given, that Lorenzo brought six cards and the star is included. From the time between 1.1. 1463 - May 1465 we know, that a lot of changes occurred in Florence:

Cosimo di Medici died and the Medici Chapel was finished and the family heraldic was changed and a triumphal activity occured with the focus "3 holy kings" - whereby the suspicion is given, that Sun-Moon-Star might associate the 3 holy kings.

For the production we may assume, that Lorenzo had not time to think too much about the choice of the six figures. We've the result, that later the Hercules figure (Strength) became a favoured topic to Lorenzo.

All from Antonio Pollaiuolo, who often worked for Lorenzo. A note is running through the web: "Highly regarded by the Medici, Antonio and his brother painted for them three canvases depicting the Labors of Hercules (lost)." So there were more Hercules works from Pollaiuolo ... and the commission were given, when Lorenzo were relatively young, as the Pollaiuolo brothers later went to Rome.

This following picture is suggested to present Galeazzo Maria Sforza and Bona Sforza, painted by Antonio Pollaiuolo during the visit of both in Florence, in the disguise of Daphne and Apollo ... a topic which is known from the much earlier Michelino deck.

For the 3 girls we have to state, that these are the most boring figures in the PMB deck, we cannot recognize ingenious inventorship. The putto with the sun is done interestingly, the 2 putti of the world ... well, that's a riddle.
Much of what I read in the links you gave me had to do with the Charles VI "World" card, and whether it was really Prudentia or Fame. After reading both sides, I could not choose one or the other. I haven't studied Florence very much. To me the PMB World card evolves from the Cary-Yale. I will try to put together some thoughts and documentation on that issue; it will take a couple of days. ...

I'm interested to hear your reflection.
One small detail in one of your posts that I'd like explained. It doesn't have to do with tarot, but with Florentine-French relations. You said that the Florentines got permission from the French to use the fleur-de-lys. I thought that was a symbol that the Florentines had been using for centuries. In the 1200's, for example, the Guelphs used a red fleur-de-lys (or whatever they called it) on a white background, and the Ghibelenes had a white one on a red background. The Guelphs won, and Dante after his exile became a Ghibeline. You can see the red fleur-de-lys on the gates of Florence in a Sienese illuminated Paradiso, 1440's, with a devil above pouring florins into the open hands of a pope (http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File: ... _paolo.jpg). The Sienese were not fond of Florence!
Nice picture ... but I would assume, that the allowance of the 1465 heraldic change went to the Medici family, not to the city of Florence.
Specific relations between Florence and France existed already earlier, especially after the invasion of French troops which took Naples in ca. 1468. The Pulci family for instance is said to have been of French descendancy.
Last edited by Huck on 28 Oct 2009, 09:33, edited 1 time in total.
Huck

The following both texts are from the thread "Luigi Pulci (and Boiardo) (and Tarot)" written around Christmas 2007 at Aeclectic.
http://tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=90080

If assuming, that the Charles VI was made ca. 1463, one should recognize the context of the situation ... and the context is "some rich boys on the country (with mountains)" and a not famous poor poet named Luigi Pulci living round the corner, in only a few km distance. The careful rich mother wishes, that the boys are protected but feel free to have their adventures. The boys may be 9-14 years old. So the poet gets the commission to have a seemingly careless eye on them and gets btw. the commission to write the "Morgante" ... but that's just a disguising tool to hide the real interests. The real interests are (as usual in such situations), that the boys are right back in the evening without broken leg or other harm.

About Pulci
Yes, Pulci could be rather funny ...

... but not everybody loved him, especially those poet's with less humorous ideals had their problems with him.

Pulci to the other poets of Florence:

"I know I ought to make no dereliction
From the straight path to this side or to that;
I know the story I relate's no fiction,
And that the moment that I quit some flat,
Folks are all puff, and blame, and contradiction,
And swear I never know what I'd be at;
In short, such crowds, I find, can mend one's poem,
I live retired, on purpose not to know 'em.

Yes, gentlemen, my only ' Academe,'
My sole ' Gymnasium,' are my woods and bowers;
Of Afric and of Asia there I dream ;
And the Nymphs bring me baskets full of flowers,
Arums, and sweet narcissus from the stream ;
And thus my Muse escapeth your town-hours
And town-disdains ; and I eschew your bites,
Judges of books, grim Areopagites."

And occasionally he got his James-Joyce-mood:

"La casa cosa parea bretta e brutta,
Vinta dal vento; e la natta e la notte
Stilla le stelle, ch' a tetto era tutto:
Del pane appena ne dette ta' dotte :
Pere avea pure, e qualche fratta frutta;
E svina e svena di botto una botte :
Poscia per pesci lasche prese a l' esca ;
Ma il letto allotta a la frasca fu fresca."

The translator hadn't it easy, but he tried:

"This holy hole was a vile thin-built thing,
Blown by the blast; the night nought else o'erhead
But staring stars the rude roof entering;
Their sup of supper was no splendid spread;
Poor pears their fare, and such-like libelling
Of quantum suff.;—their butt all but; — bad bread;—
A flash of fish instead of flush of flesh;
Their bed a frisk al-fresco, freezing fresh."
Christmas letter 2007
MYSTERIES ...

of the historical context are often discovered, when looking on a detailed map.

In this case it's often reported, that Pulci was often in the "Mugello" or in "Mugello" outside of Florence. Actually the Mugello is a great region and not a village or city. The precise location, where the Pulci family had a farm, was Cavallina, a small spot at the map. Near to Cavallina, maybe 4-5 km, is Cafaggiolo, and in Cafaggiolo the Medici got a castle in 1443, which was build by Michelozzo to become a nice residence on the country. "Lorenzo de Medici spend here a part of his childhood."

It's still in existence and nowadays a hotel.

http://www.castellodicafaggiolo.it/english_storia.htm

The Medici family had its source in the Mugello (which also explains something). The distance from the given locations to Florence is ca. 30-35 km, trouble for travelling is given by mountains (at least 450 m has to be crossed, the Arno in Florence has a heigth of 128 m.

In Cavellina (Pulci's location) there is somehow "la Villa Il Palagio - La Torre che tra il 1457 e il 1466 ospitò anche Lorenzo il Magnifico, che si presenta
con un elegante prospetto classico con disegni sagomati, frutto della ristrutturazione ottocentesca."
The location was rebuild later, but it's stated, that Lorenzo between 1457 - 1464 was here as a guest ... which includes the deciding period for the Morgante (1461-62 ... it's said, that 14 of the final 28 canti were made then).

Well, one cannot be sure if one occasionally meets inventions of Italian tourism interests.

... but somehow it has logic.

Pietro de Medici was only second son and Cosimo, Lorenzo's grandfather, was ruling the family and the state. The elder brother Giovanni, Pietro and Cosimo, all had trouble with the gout. Giovanni had a son himself, but this died 1463 and short after it, same year, Giovanni died himself. In this year of death Cosimo made the deciding steps to build the platonic academy - likely in the context of the death of his oldest son, a turn away from money towards philosophy, as an an inner change.

The ship of the family had turned radically.

All the elder Medici had gout, and Pietro's state was the most bad (but he survived longest). Butween these "helpless" persons the position of Lucrezia Turnabuoni, wife of Piero and mother of Lorenzo ...

.. (here in 1475, 50 years old) was strong. She was it generally by context ...

Alberti mentions in On Painting the early fifteenth-century custom of introducing portraits of well-known and worthy citizens in religious narratives. This tradition continues in the family patronage of public religious commissions of the late fifteenth century. It also gives scope for female portraits to be included in a very important genre, that of collective civic portraiture. Perhaps the best example of a religious commission which stresses the significance of public display in such a context, while at the same time illustrating the difference of men's and women's ideal roles and behaviour in late fifteenth-century Florentine society, is provided by [a] series for frescoes by Ghirlandaio and his workshop. The decoration of the apse (cappella maggiore) of the Dominican church of Santa Maria Novella in Florence, commissioned by Giovanni Tornabuoni in 1485, was carried out between 1486 and 1490. This was the largest fresco commission in Florence in the last decades of the fifteenth century, for one of the most important churches of the city. Giovanni Tornabuoni was one of the wealthiest and most influential men in Florence, tied to the Medici by links forged by marriage, business and political interests. His sister Lucrezia was the wife of Piero de Medici and the mother of Lorenzo the Magnificent. In the same year as his sister's marriage, 1444, Giovanni had first entered the Medici bank. In 1465 he became the director and partner of the Medici bank in Rome, and eventually treasurer and financial adviser to Pope Sixtus IV....

.. from
http://employees.oneonta.edu/farberas/a ... hapel.html

It's interesting to see, how small the 4 humanists, between them Marsilio Ficino are painted (bottom left) ...

... in a minor role, as it seems.

Pulci is not included.

But Pulci appears at another picture, at least Vasari had this opinion:

Pulci in discussion at the left:

"Vasari had already identified a number of contemporary figures in those painted by Filippino: the resurrected youth was supposedly a portrait of the painter Francesco Granacci, at that time hardly more than a boy; "and also the knight Messer Tommaso Soderini, Piero Guicciardini, the father of Messer Francesco who wrote the Histories, Piero del Pugliese and the poet Luigi Pulci.""
http://www.wga.hu/tours/brancacc/theo_pet.html

"Filippino Lippi: Florentine painter, the son and pupil of Fra Filippo Lippi. who died when the boy was about 12. The boy completed his father's work (or at least cleared up his estate) in Spoleto (the final receipts for Filippo's frescoes in the Spoleto Cathedral was signed by Filippino) and he set off alone for Florence on 1 January 1470. He also studied with Botticelli and learned much from his expressive use of line, but Filippino's style, although sensitive and poetic, is more robust than his master's. The first certainly datable work by Filippino is the Annunciation on two tondi (1483-84, San Gimignano).
His first major commission was the completion of Masaccio's and Masolino's fresco cycle in the Brancacci Chapel of Sta Maria del Carmine, which had either been left unfinished by Masaccio or had been partially destroyed. This task he carried out with such skill and tact that it is sometimes difficult to tell where his work begins and that of more than half a century earlier ends."

http://www.wga.hu/frames-e.html?/bio/l/ ... graph.html

"Originally the chapel was cross-vaulted and lit by a very tall and narrow two-light window; the last of the stories from the life of St Peter, his Crucifixion, was probably painted on the wall below the window, but this fresco was destroyed soon after Brancacci was declared a rebel so as to cancel all traces of a patron who had become politically embarassing. The chapel, formerly the chapel of St Peter, was reconsacrated to the Madonna del Popolo. It appears that Felice Brancacci was subjected to an operation of "damnatio memoriae", for all the portrayals of people connected to the Brancacci family were eliminated from Masaccio's fresco of the Raising of the Son of Theophilus. The scene was then restored in 1481-82 by Filippino Lippi, who also completed the cycle."

http://www.yourwaytoflorence.com/brancacci.htm

Picture in context (Brancacci Chapel):

It's an interesting detail ... After his trouble in Florence ending in a clash with the Accademia, Franco and Ficino in 1476 Pulci took steps to reconcile (likely. ca. 1479) and was between 1481 - 1483 really in Florence and finished the Morgante (it's said with the help of Lucrezia Turnabuoni ?). Lucrezia died 1482, Pulci was ready at begin of 1483
The Fresco - given to the year 1481-1482 (see above), so precisely in the time of Pulci's return - shows the return of a lost (dead) son.

"This scene illustrates the miracle that Peter performed after he was released from prison, thanks to Paul's intercession. According to the account in the Golden Legend, once out of prison, Peter was taken to the tomb of the son of Theophilus, Prefect of Antioch. Here St Peter immediately resurrected the young man who had been dead for fourteen years. As a result, Theophilus, the entire population of Antioch and many others were converted to the faith; they built a magnificent church and in the centre of the church a chair for Peter, so that he could sit during his sermons and be heard and seen by all. Peter sat in the chair for seven years; then he went to Rome and for twenty-five years sat on the papal throne, the cathedra, in Rome."

Pulci was a "lost son". Well, an interesting detail ... but back to 1461-62 and to medici castle on the country.

Luigi Pulci is about 29 years and a poet in a family of poets. Of these some will later write pieces for representations of holy actions, a sort of "holy theatre", taking place in churches or on the street. Also Lucretia Tornabuoni will do that and generally she's very interested in poetry, she writes herself and some writing have survived.

Lorenzo de Medici 11-12 years old, and, thanks to the gout in the family, the elder Medici are not in the condition to reply of the vital activities for children.

Lucretia Turnobuoni is a mother of 5-6 children ... she hires Pulci as a sort of educator. Things are practical, cause Pulci is near to one of the Medici castles. The locality is very nice there, lonesome and surely adventurous for children. Lorenzo will have later much interest in hunting. Pulci - all what we know - should have had a sense for beauty of nature himself (he loved his life in the Mugello and even climbed a romantic mountain).

So we see - in the inner eye of the researcher - Pulci wandering through the forests and mountains around Castello Cafaggio, around him a band of children and telling them fantastic stories about this and that. Well, Pulci is perfect, cause he knows there every stone and farmer, cause he himself is grown up in the same region, and more of that, he loved the region.

This natural situation (enriched with a lucky accident called "Pulci") is now filled with a little program from the sight of the mother, who wishes that the young band learns a little bit about history and poetry. So Pulci gets the job to work about Orlando, a theme, which fits with the actual crusader-theme (Osmanic problems) and with an interest of the Medici for the French market.

So, whatever had happened there ... it's very obvious, that the "Morgante" was initially a book (or better "life poem") for children, or young boys, cause this was the concrete and direct use for it in the moment of 1461-62. And one should be sure that the whole didn't come alone from Pulci's mind, but that it was made in dialog with a participating audience, which added hopes and fears, ideas, interests and concrete details of the region, which in the children-fantasies transformed to bewitched castles, dangerous enemies and even giants. And Morgante was actually the "giantious" Pulci himself and Morgante's good friend Orlando the smaller Lorenzo and Rinaldo likely the a few years younger brother Giulio.

Of the author's, that I studied to the Pulci stuff, nobody talks of a "children story". Also nobody talked about 3-4 kilometers between Cavallina and Castle Cafagglio.

The common great thinking error.
People research a successful piece of world lliterature. As they know, that this became a "successful piece of the world literature", they imply, that the author already knew, that this work would become successful. So - according this imagination - the author already intended that he would work 10 years or longer on his work and that he took his work very serious from beginning on. And they think, that the author was already famous just in the moment, that he started to write. Somehow it's constantly overrlooked, that the literary success is a process in stages, in which the author has his life, from little or no fame to finally fame and success (and this often enough long after his death)

So in Pulci's case, they overlook, that the whole plot "knight with giant have adventures" is a children story. Although they're told in each book about Pulci, that Pulci is the educator of Lorenzo, who is 11 years old. No .. the story is transformed to a story, in which Lucrezia Tornuaboni gave Pulci the commission to write a piece of world literature.

Similar these theories about Tarot origin. Constantly people treat to object, as if Tarot or Trionfi cards were already famous in 15th century. As if anybody would have known, that this would become an project, which would run over the whole world with its follow-ups. Just the same thinking error.

Another time more.

Merry Christmas altogether.
Here is a google-maps-Link
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source= ... 8&t=h&z=13

The lake, I would assume, is probably a new lake ... likely not existing in Pulci's time.
Huck

Thanks for clarifying the points I was asking about, Ross and Huck. And I would very much welcome additional comments, Ross. So Trionfi's theory is that the six cards by the second artist were made in haste to Lorenzo di Medici's order in Ferrara on the way to Milan, as a wedding gift to Ippolita Sforza in 1465.

I find it implausible that someone could have just come up with five totally new designs on the spur of the moment: all except Temperance are quite unlike their counterparts in either the Charles VI or d'Este decks, which I would think would have approximated what was being produced in Florence and Ferrara at the time. They are more like previous cards in Milan. And they are carefully made, worthy of someone like Benedetto Bembo.

I will need time to think about five of the cards. Right now I will defend this general perspective with the one card I have been working on, the World. I will do the others later.

In Milan our only example of an early card is the Cary-Yale’s. It has a scene of knights and castles on the bottom and a lady holding one trumpet on the top.

First, who is the lady? Fama had two trumpets, one for renown and one for ignominy. Her role would seem to be taken by the trumpeters in the Angel card, one trumpeter for the bad and one for the good. The lady on the World card has just one and is not blowing it. I think she is Sapientia, Wisdom in the sense of the Wisdom of God, like Sophia in the Hebrew Bible. In the Michelino she corresponds to Pallas, Zeus's Wisdom. Here are some reasons why I give the lady this name.

(1) A trumpet was associated with Sapientia: (http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Sapientia.jpg).

(2) Sapienta was represented as standing above others enfolding them in his or her cloak. Here is an example, with an enlarged view of the writing:

(3) Sapienta was represented as female as well as male, not only in the Hebrew Bible (Sophia) but in alchemical imagery, as in the Aurora Consurgens, where she offers her breasts for the philosophers to suck.

(4) In a painting that Vogt-Leurssen says is Bianca Maria Visconti and her children, the pose suggests Sapientia:

Besides Sapientia, the lady on the card might be Bianca as well (if the card was done in 1452).

(5) There was a medieval legend, invented or at least made into a versified play by Brotswitha, a poet of Lower Saxony, in which Sapienta was a Christian lady brought before the Emperor Hadrian with her three daughters Spes, Fides, and Caritas. We already have these three in the deck. God’s Wisdom is the fourth from which the others spring (http://www.letu.edu/people/annieolson/p ... ienta.html).

Now for the scene on the bottom half of the card. Whatever else it might be, I think it is a scene from a grail-romance. I don't know what version was being read then in Milan, but one example is the "Petit Grail," which the on-line editor says is probably a prose version of Boron's lost poem. It has the following paragraph (http://www.maryjones.us/ctexts/pd07.html):
As he rode onward, suddenly he came upon a very beautiful meadow, and at the end of this meadow there was a beautiful river with very rich mills. And he rode in that direction and saw m the middle of the river three men in a boat. Then Perceval approached them and saw within the boat a very old man lying upon coverings of the highest quality. And this worthy man was the Fisher King his grandfather, and he called to Perceval and prayed him to stay with him that night, and Perceval thanked him heartily. And the Fisher King said to him: "Good sir knight, go onward up the river and you will see my castle appear above you, and now I shall depart also and go there, since I wish to be there to meet you."
On the card, we have no mills, only two men in the boat, and a fisherman on the bank. Perhaps the scene had to convey something else as well, about Francesco Sforza's rescue of Niccolo Piccinino.

So how did this card end up as the PMB World card? I like Robert Place's theory in The Tarot: History , Symbolism, and Divination (p. 20f, in Google Books). He says of a similar card, from the "Rosenthal Visconti-Sforza" deck, that it might be a World card:
Another card from this deck depicts a hexagonal baptismal font flanked by two winged boys, a type of angel called a putto. Suspended above the font is an arrow with two streams of blood arching away from it and pouring in the basin. This is an illustration of the Holy Grail of Arthurian legend, which is often depicted in Renaissance art as a hexagonal baptismal font. The arrow spouting blood represents the spear that that pierced the side of Christ and was said to continually drip his blood into the Grail. This card is often assumed to be the ace of cups but in other Visconti-Sforza decks we only find putti on the World card, where they are flanking an image of a celestial city framed in a circle. The celestial city represents the New Jerusalem, God's kingdom descending to earth, which is the mystical reward described in the climax of Revelation. Likewise, the Grail is the mystical reward in Arthurian legend. The organizing principle in the trumps is the trionfi, a parade in which each figure is known to be more powerful than the one that comes before and leading to a final victory. Both of these images are suitable alternatives for the final and most powerful trump.
A problem with this view is that the arrow only emitted drops, not streams, of blood. But perhaps the image of the lance, and Christ’s blood and water, merges with the “fountain of youth,” with its rejuvenating streams.

A similar card is one of the four in the Victoria and Albert Museum. Here are all three cards, Rosenthal to the left, PMB in the middle, and Victoria and Albert on the right (from Kaplan Vol. 1, Dummett’s The Visconti-Sforza Tarot Cards]/i], and http://it.geocities.com/a_pollett/cards34.htm). The words on the front of the Grail are “nec spe nec metu” meaning “neither hope nor fear” (Kaplan), a description of Heaven according to the via negativa. The words at the top have not been deciphered.

Place does not relate these cards to the Cary-Yale. The Rosenthal’s Grail on top replaces the CY’s river scene on the bottom, and the putti on the bottom replace the lady on the top.

In game playing, the problem with such a card is that it is too similar to the Ace of Cups. (It might even be the Ace of Cups, if there is no World card in the deck.) So change is in order, to make two distinctive cards: the Grail is replaced by a walled city, the New Jerusalem. And with that image the grail-city could also be this-world Milan, made wondrous by its guardian spirits, the Sforzas.

Place goes on to mention other late 15th century decks, perhaps not proto-tarot or Visconti-Sforza, that also have such Grails: besides the Victoria and Albert, there are the Goldschmidt and the Guildhall, from the same period but not known to be painted for the Sforzas. He says (p. 20):

These cards do not include putti but they both depict the Grail on a checkered floor that only appears on other trumps in these decks. The Goldschmidt deck also includes a serpent circling around the Grail to bite his tail. This mystical symbol, called an ouroboros, appears in alchemical texts and represents the limits of time and mortality that the Grail conquers with its timeless mystical truth."

Here is the Goldschmidt card (from Kaplan vol. 1):

This design, however, is even more like the Ace of Cups and is harder to convert to the New Jerusalem: there is nothing for the snakes to go around. So it does not go anywhere.

Kaplan mentions that an American collector did not buy the Rosenthal Visconti-Sforza cards because he believed they were only copies of the 15th century originals. For our purposes that does not matter, as long as they are faithful copies. It seems to me that these designs are genuine, and of the period before Galeazzo's death, for two reasons. First, the Victoria and Albert cards are presumably genuine, and the design of the two cards is almost the same, and similarly for the Star cards. Second, there is an important difference between the two decks which is not likely to have been faked. The Rosenthal court figures are similar to the youthful court figures of the PMB, which are reminiscent of the young Galeazzo Sforza (Kaplan Vol. 1 p. 99).

But the one Victoria and Albert court figure, the Page of Cups, has the older features of Ludovico Sforza (second below right, with the PMB in the middle and the Rosenthal on the left (which in this case looks halfway between the two others). As I argued in an earlier post, this difference reflects who was in power at the time, before 1477 and after 1478.

The Rosenthal cards are obviously not merely copies of the original PMB, because of the differences in the special cards and minor differences in the courts. The Victoria and Albert is an example of a later Sforza deck that went with the Rosenthal's designs and not the PMB's.

But inserting a grail cup and putti is only one way the Cary-Yale card might have evolved. The Charles VI represents another way. Ross argued that the lady was Fame, and Huck that she was Prudentia. I think that she is not Prudentia, because she does not have any of Prudentia's typical attributes. But the hexagonal halo does tend to associate her with the virtues. She is Sapientia again. One reason she might be on the Triumphs of Fame is that in order to get fame you need to have wisdom. There are two senses of fame as well of wisdom: worldly and heavenly. In a Christian world, they go together: fame is won through wisdom. Despite the more worldly orientation of the Florentine bankers, the most lasting fame is still that of the saints.

So on the Charles VI the lady represents either of two things: worldly wisdom, the key to mastering the world, or spiritual wisdom, the key to transcending the world. In this capacity she is Sophia of the Hebrew Wisdom literature and also the world-soul of Plato and the Neoplatonists: the transition between this world and the utterly transcendent. Transcendence is also suggested in the d'Este card, not only the putto above the world, but also the ever-rising towers within the world in the bubble.

A Bologna version divides the world into four quarters, suggesting another name, the Quintessence, transcending the four elements. Below left is Tarotpedia’s version of the card, with correspondences (tarotpedia's addition of the colors) to the 17th century Vieville (http://www.tarotpedia.com/wiki/World)

We also have to look at these cards in the context of the previous cards in the sequence. Here it is again evident that transcendence is meant. They are at or near the end of the special cards. Let's look at some Sun cards.

In the d'Este (above left), we have Alexander inviting Diogenes to be court philosopher, and Diogenes telling Alexander that he is blocking his sun, i.e. tempting him away from enlightenment. Diogenes is the person who has transcended the world. In the Charles VI (above center), the corresponding card is the spinner, recognizable as Clotho, one of the three Fates, the one who spun the thread of one's life; identified by the Romans as Nona, she was also associated with childbirth (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moira; above right, I have included the Ecole Nationale Supereiure card, where the woman looks more like a spinner, from http://trionfi.com/0/j/d/bologna/). Although Clotho herself represented life, she was often pictured with her two sisters, who measured the thread and cut it. An example is in this Flemish "Triumph of Death" tapestry, early 16th century (from Wikipedia article):

Thus the Milanese PMB World and the Florentine Charles VI World take quite different approaches to the idea of transcendence. The PMB has the bubble with a walled city on top, suggesting the New Jerusalem, the result of transcendence, while the Charles VI has the bubble at the bottom, suggesting this world as what is to be transcended. The Milanese approach is most plausibly explained via the grail card, whereas the Florentine is the result of reducing the CY-style castles to mundane proportions and enlarging the role of the woman.

These interpretations, however, are for the thoughtful and the devout. If others want to think the World card means worldly success, that is okay by the card-makers. If people want to think that it is just Alexander talking with his humanist, like any civilized Renaissance ruler, and that the spinner signifies the city's riches, the modern equivalent of the third King’s gold, that's okay too; whatever sells cards and keeps the preachers at bay. For such people it makes little difference whether the bubble on the World card is on top or bottom. However they, it seems to me, are missing the main point of the cards.

hi Mike,

for the socalled "World" in the Cary Yale, it's not "World", it is "Fama" ... the key-element is the "winged trumpet".

The winged trumpet also appears at this painting, which is made for a Petrarca edition with its six representations (with Fama naturally) by Apollino di Giovanni, curiously with a not "Grolia Mundi" (wrong written "Gloria Mundi")

A "World"-motif appears not in the older Trionfi cards, neither in Cary-Yale, or PMB or in Charles VI or in the d'Este cards - in the PMB, Charles VI and the d'Este card a round object is used and a figure stands on it in the Cary-Yale.
It's true, that the later Trionfi lists used the term "mondo", but we cannot be sure, if this expression was already used in the early Trionfi cards. There's a mix between the iconographical figures World-Fama-Prudentia - perhaps that we can say with some security.

A similar mix of this 3 figures appears in the comedy "Philodoxus" by Leon Battista Alberti, written 1424 when Alberti was still a young men. In the begin Alberti spread the idea, that his work was made by an older antique author, whom he called "Lepsius". Later ... around 1437 ... Alberti stated, that he himself wrote the comedy, in a letter to Leonello d'Este (before he became acquainted to Leonello). With the council of Ferrara (1438) Alberti came in person to Ferrara, and was soon accepted in his talents and was called a friend of Leonello. It's not clear, if Alberti was present during the presence of Bianca Maria in Ferrara, but he should have been present occasionally and have otherwise contact with letters. So Alberti either was passive informed by the Trionfi card development or possibly in active manner even participated in the discussion.

In the Philodoxus we've 3 allegorical pairs, governed by a forth "parental pair".

Fortune / Father Time ... role of the parental pair
----------
Doxia (= glory) becomes bride of Philodoxus ("I love glory"), the "positive hero"
Phemia (= Fama) becomes bride of Fortunius (adopted son of Fortune), the "negative hero"
Phroneus (a wise friend, presenting prudence) gets his old "ugly" wife Mnimia (= "Memory") back

This long article gives a lot of information (the first part is less interesting) and presents the complete Philodoxus
http://parnaseo.uv.es/Celestinesca/Nume ... umento.pdf

So we have Glory (= World = "Gloria Mundi") , Fama and Prudentia in one context ....

Later, around 1461, Alberti writes a special teaching text for the young 12-years-old Lorenzo de Medici - so there is an early direct relation between Lorenzo and Alberti, which is later repeated, cause Lorenzo visited Alberti in Rome short before his death). Later in 1463 (as it is suggested, that the Charles VI was made in 1463) we have the Charles VI card "Love" presenting 3 pairs instead, as in other Tarocchi, of one pair. This deck (as it is suggested) was made for the young 14-years-old Lorenzo, so it might be interpreted, that the 3 pairs are meant as those, which appeared in Alberti's Philodoxus ... naturally the young Lorenzo would have been interested in the Philodoxus (surely interesting for a youth), if he knew Alberti by private contact (what he did). Other persons, which indirectly appear in the deck, are Toscanelli (who is said, that he mostly worked in the bank house of the Medici) and Pulci with his Morgante (who was Lorenzo's indirect teacher for literature) and the "female spinner", which you interprete as one three Moiren, fits with the more natural condition, that the city of Florence became rich by textile industry (the motif is repeated in Bolognese decks, and Bologna also was involved in textile industry).

... .-) ... so, instead of exploring 1000's details perhaps you could concentrate on the greater fact, that the 16 Charles VI trumps in their indisputed existence confirm a few things, which were suggested for the Cary Yale Tarocchi only with some insecurities (as the incomplete series trumps only allow a naturally only vague reconstruction attempt).

1. There was a deck with 16 trumps, and this deck type appears (at least) twice (or even three times, if we count also the Michelino deck).

2. It's based on chess iconography - an already existing and long tradition.

3. It has differences to the 5x14-deck, which has an existence without chess iconography relations.

The 5x14-deck appears 3 times:
a. as the 14 Bembo trumps + 4x14 other cards
b. in the 14-figure-note of 1.1.1441
c. in the 70-cards-note of 1457

... also there is the general condition, that often important Trionfi documents are relatable to the context of "very young persons".

a. kids of Parisina (1424) 4 or 5 years old
b. Bianca Maria Visconti (1441; 15/16 years old)
c. Leonello's brothers (1442) 9 and 11 years old
d. Hofämterspiel for Ladilaus Posthumus (ca. 1455, ca. 15 years old)
e. Galeazzo Maria 1457, 13 years old
f. Valerio Marcello (ca. 1460), about 8 years old
h. Lorenzo di Medici (1463), about 14 years old

So we have as explanation for early "luxury cards" or "Trionfi cards" the logical background "education tools for rich kids" and not much more. So too highflying interpretations naturally confuse the simple context.

Creativity in these "very personal cards productions (handpainted)" is logical by the production process. So Cary Yale and CharlesVI have a structural similarity, but show variations. If we could know more about other productions, we probably would have more variations. If we observe Mantegna Tarocchi, Boiardo Tarocchi poem and Sola Busca (all three part of the changed production conditions) in this process we still observe the "educative aim", we also see the great variation, which was possible (standard didn't exist or only at small scale). If we see picture catalogs like that from Lazzarelli (27 pictures) or the festivities of the Sforza-Aragon marriage (36 pictures) in 1475, we see further possibilities of variations.

It's not probable, that the "Holy Grail" was involved in the Tarocchi development ... and if it was, what it would change?
Huck