Re: Trionfi.com: News and Updates

Pen wrote:Does the deck of cards have a name and is it possible to see the five cards online anywhere? If Il Castello dei Tarocchi comes out in English I'll buy it, until then... :(

Pen
I hesitate to scan the pictures, as they're actually one of the few really new things in the "Castello dei Tarocchi", and such books actually need some buyers.
... the sun and moon combination is the most nice picture.
Another picture shows "the" council ... it's more than once used in the book.
Another shows emperor Maximilian.
Another shows an evangelist, Lucas with a bull.
Another a scene with Jesus: "Gesu somministra l'eucaristia al prete Gianni"

All in the general style of the chronica, so not especially remarkable.

Maximilian isn't emperor at the production time of the book ...
http://daten.digitale-sammlungen.de/~db ... &seite=589
The card has the same
"Linea imperator Maximilianus"
at the top, then added the dice at the left and a "Vince due." or "Vince dae." at the bottom

... well, no imformation about the complete deck and the rest of the cards, only the information, that at least some further cards exist for the moment. But we have a sort of promise, that we will get scans.
Huck
http://trionfi.com

Thanks Huck, that's helpful. I wondered whether Etteilla had copied the images from the Liber Chronicarum or from the deck of cards. Are there only five cards in existence?

Pen

Edited to add: Sorry, I somehow overlooked your info re. the rest of the cards...
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy...

Pen wrote:Thanks Huck, that's helpful. I wondered whether Etteilla had copied the images from the Liber Chronicarum or from the deck of cards. Are there only five cards in existence?

Pen

Edited to add: Sorry, I somehow overlooked your info re. the rest of the cards...
Pen, I think you've discovered the very real source for this image from the Grand jeu de l'Oracle des Dames. Etteilla had nothing to do with the design of it, however. This deck was published around 1865 by M.-F. Delarue, and the designs were made by the artist G. Régamey (I take this to be Guillaume Régamey (1837-1875), from a family of artists).

According to Decker et. al. A Wicked Pack of Cards (WPC), pp. 147-149 (the research on Etteilla was mostly Thierry Depaulis'), a taxonomy of Etteilla tarots was made in 1972 by Detlef Hoffmann and Erika Kroppenstedt, in their book Wahrsagekarten (fortune-telling cards). They called them Etteilla I, II and III.

Etteilla's own designs are "Etteilla I", appearing at least as early as 1788. They are just about identical to those still published by Grimaud as Grand Etteilla ou Tarots Egyptiens.

Etteilla II is a version published in 1838, a new design based on the original, issued by the publisher Simon Blocquel.
(three cards from this deck are illustrated on plate 9a of WPC.)

Etteilla III - "The third in the sequence of avatars of Etteilla's pack recognised by Hoffmann and Kroppenstedt is Grand Etteilla III, known in its day as the Grand jeu de l'Oracle des Dames. On the basis of an example in the Rothschild Collection at the Louvre, it has been dated to about 1865. Grand Etteilla II went out of production soon after 1900, unable to compete with its two rivals. The Grand Oracle des Dames - Grand Etteilla III - was designed by G. Régamey, printed by chromolithography by Hangard-Maugé and published in Paris by M.-F. Delarue, Blocquel's son-in-law and the Parisian stockist for the publications of Blocquel and Castiaux. The inscriptions, at top, bottom and sides, are exactly the same as in Grand Etteilla II, and consequently the subjects are also the same; on card 5, however, there are no longer the symbols of the four Evangelists, but four genuine quadrupeds - clockwise from top right, a lion, a horse, a bull and an elephant. Etteilla's designs have, however, been transformed beyond recognition, with the aim of achieving a neo-Gothic style. Grand Etteilla III was highly popular for a time, but does not seem to have survived the First World War." (p. 149)

(I should note that I am puzzled by that last statement, since this deck is still in print and easily available where they sell divinatory tarots)

From the Chronicle's Japeth it is easy to see that the Grand Etteilla III's Folly is modeled upon it. The question is whether it is a direct source or if there is an intermediary, where Japeth was interpreted as a fool in another source. I can't answer this question without knowing if the illustrations in the Chronicle were published by 1865 (naturally by an artist redrawing them).

Added - Japeth is definitely not a "Fool" in the Chronicle - he is just dressed in contemporary garb, albeit with an "exotic" headress, to indicate foreignness. The "Fool" aspect is given in the Grand Jeu by adding bells to his hat and motley colors to his clothing.

Ross, thanks for the indepth info. and the corrections. I see now that the booklet states: Methode d'Etteilla, rather than attributing the design to him.

I used the Grand Jeu because I recognised the Folie/Japeth image, and have an oldish one. I think it's possible that the artist actually traced some images, because the ones that are most nearly exact are mirror images.

I might start a new thread and post images of the ones I found for comparison, but in the meantime:

Liber Chron. page # ............ Grand Jeu
79............................. Les Oiseaux

112............................. Le Temple Foudroye

101............................. Folie

128............................. Le Diable (enhanced)

225............................. La Lumiere

489.............................. Le Capucin

601.............................. La Mort (similar but not exact)

There's a stylistic similarity to the way the 'Hommes' and other figures are drawn in the Grand Jeu to those in the Liber Chron. too.

Pen
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy...

Well, one doesn't see it at first moment, but that's part of a Tarot installation for ca. 700.000 Euro between Konstanz and Kreuzlingen at the Bodensee, Google Map shows this perspective:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=kreuzling ... CBwQ8gEwAA

The long white line, mostly through the water, from left to right stands for the German/Switzerland frontier, earlier marked by a frontier fence, which nowadays has disappeared. Well, it wasn't the wall of Berlin, but the local population of Konstanz (Germany) and Kreuzlingen (Switzerland), both as you see at the map very close to each other, enjoyed the fall of the fence.

So a famous local artist, Johannes Dörflinger ...

http://www.bodensee-woche.de/johannes-d ... 0609-4417/

... together with an Institut to sponsor the work of young artists and the connected both cities realized this project, based on other Tarot projects, on which the artist worked since a Tarot period 1971-1975.

As far I get it, the 22 installations are realized now on a length of 280 meters. More pictures:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Johan ... unstgrenze

A music composition of Frédéric Bolli, which celebrates the new frontier line without fence, was given for the first time in September 2010.
Huck
http://trionfi.com