Re: Antonio Beccadelli (Panormita) Triumph of King Alfonso 1443

Phaeded wrote ...
We know Ferrara was an early adopter of trionfi, but even earlier than the 10 February, 1442 reference? Is there anything that gets Ferrara close to Giusti's presentation deck to Malatesta for instance? Malatesta's first wife Ginevra d'Este (24 March 1419 - 12 October 1440) was herself half Malatestan to begin with. Her death just after Giusti is delivers the Florentine tarot deck to Malatesta in the camp outside Forli on September 16 (less than a month later, 12, Oct. 1440), means that whenFerrarese courtiers appear in Rimini for her funeral Malatesta already had the new gift of tarot in hand. That allows at least two months for 14 "painted images" for the visiting Bianca Visconti on 1/1/1441 (assuming the courtiers are back in Ferrara with word of the new game by the end of October 1440).
There are 2 different dates for the death of Ginevra.
The majority of the writers has "around 12th of October 1440".
The other is, if I remember correctly, the 3rd of September 1440.

viewtopic.php?p=24607#p24607

3rd of September would have been before 16th of September ... as usually. At the 16th Malatesta got the cards from Giusto Giusti.

Basini Parmensis poetae opera praestantiora: 2. Della vita e de'fatti di Sigismondo Pandolfo Malatesta ... commentario del conte Francesco Gaetano Battaglini
by Basinio Basini, Laurentius Drudius, Ireneo Affò, conte Angelo Battaglini, conte Francesco Gaetano Battaglini
ex typographia Albertiniana, 1794

https://books.google.de/books?id=WYEcAQ ... pi&f=false
page 340/341
We don't know, which of the dates is correct. Basinio Basini wasn't at the court of Malatesta in 1440. He likely got this information (3rd of September) from Malatesta. Malatesta possibly was interested to manifest a wrong date, cause there were accusationa, that he killed his first 2 wives. Possibly the 3rd of September as death date would have made the accusations impossible.
If the 3rd of September is correct, then it changes the situation of the action at 16th September and also the action at 1.1. 1441 (the present for Bianca Maria). Giusto Giusti
Huck
http://trionfi.com

Phaeded wrote: 27 Aug 2023, 23:12
So you're pivoting to Petrarch's text in order to not address the seven canonical virtues the Florentines did put on their edifice?
No, I'm not pivoting to anything, because I'm not trying to explain what Sagramoro painted. I have no idea. I'm just throwing it out there.
I suppose the only premise I can imagine is that it has to be appropriate subject-matter for a noble, unmarried, young woman. Chastity's companions are not implausible.
We know Ferrara was an early adopter of trionfi, but even earlier than the 10 February, 1442 reference?
It has to be long enough before so that Sagramoro could begin painting his four decks. From the 1452 Don Domenico Messore workshop, we know that the average time of production was about 12 days (I worked that out on some thread here - I think! - but it was long ago). This was when they were specializing and had a method, so I assume it would have taken Sagramoro a little longer, say two weeks per pack. And he had other things to paint as well. But, assuming that he worked fast, and did four of each subject at the same time, I'd guess a month before, early January. This is coincidentally when Burdochio first shows up in Franceschini's edition, delivering silk to Sagramoro to paint banners for Niccolò's funeral decorations.

So, my first guess had been that the Este court first got the game from Burdochio, and thereafter made the luxury version.

What inspired it? Now we know that Malatesta had a luxury version, and there were plenty of ways for the Estes to have known those cards. Besides that avenue, there is simply the commerce between Florence and Ferrara, intellectually and commercially.

Now, therefore, I'm open-minded on the question. Este knowledge of the game could be within weeks of its invention. If the court of Ferrara knew it, the court of Milan knew it (and if Milan knew it, the court of Savoy knew it, which has implications for our Piedmont question).
Is there anything that gets Ferrara close to Giusti's presentation deck to Malatesta for instance? Malatesta's first wife Ginevra d'Este (24 March 1419 - 12 October 1440) was herself half Malatestan to begin with. Her death just after Giusti is delivers the Florentine tarot deck to Malatesta in the camp outside Forli on September 16 (less than a month later, 12, Oct. 1440), means that whenFerrarese courtiers appear in Rimini for her funeral Malatesta already had the new gift of tarot in hand. That allows at least two months for 14 "painted images" for the visiting Bianca Visconti on 1/1/1441 (assuming the courtiers are back in Ferrara with word of the new game by the end of October 1440).
That's one plausible way. But I don't think that anybody will find it implausible to merely accept that courtly circles knew about Gismondo's new toy pretty soon after he got it. And that is if they didn't already know about the game from Florence itself. I'm content with such a general picture, I don't expect history to deliver me proof, although it is nice to have it.
This doesn't of course touch on the number of trumps in any fashion, but it clearly provides a distinct means of diffusion of a Florentine ur-tarot via Malatesta to the d'Este in the short time period between September 16 1440, when Malatesta received the deck, and January 1, 1440 when the "14 painted images" were presented to Bianca Sforza. The presence of the Marquis of Ferrara's niece in February 1441, suggests a continuing stream of visitors from Ferrara after the death of Ginerva d'Este on 12 October 1440, less than a month after the arrival of the trionfi deck into the hands of Malatesta.
Bianca SFORZA in January 1440?

Just kidding. You know already that I don't bring Sagramoro's present to Bianca Maria into a Tarot theory. Not everything has to be connected. But Huck's 5x14 theory has long ago taken on a life of its own. Originally, he took these 14 images to be identical to the 14 Bembo PMB trumps. I don't know if he still does, I know you don't.
Again, I'm not simply "inclined", I'm considering it in light of the 1457 reference from the very same city of Ferrara.
Which I take to be an open question, with a deck shortened in the pips equally plausible, if it is not the scribe's carelessness. You don't have to draw a straight line between every piece of evidence that happens to survive, and say "this proves that." At best, it is consistent with such a theory, if you already buy the theory.

For me Catania and Charles VI show the Florentine standard subjects of carte, or naibi, da trionfi, of which only the Bagatto, Popess, Wheel of Fortune, Devil, and Star are lost between those two decks. They had to be there, of course, and the numbers show that they were (except for the Popess) at the time they were numbered. Cards like the World and Temperance, not present in Huck's original 14 PMB cards, were not shoehorned in later, nor were the five cards missing between both Florentine decks. The Wheel of Fortune is in Brambilla, and the Star is in Ercole d'Este, clearly a version of the "Three Magi" we find in the Bolognese decks, which reflects, I hold, the original Florentine design.

Catania and Charles VI could both be earlier than PMB, it doesn't matter to me, because I don't need to prove that PMB was an innovation. They all contain original subjects.
All we can say for certain is the court cards were expanded, not the trumps (with the PMB representing a modification/expansion of the ur-tarot, IMO). I provided an explanation multiple times for the CY court cards, but in short: the Florentine love trump in the ur-tarot must have matched the Florentine "CVI"'s Love trump with 3 couples (Florence would never feature a single couple implying a royal wedding); Milan changed the love card to matrimonial considerations of a single couple with a low bed in the background of the tent for the required consummation. The original idea of the three couples was retained however in each suit, three females that could pair with three males. There is no imaginary rule stating the trumps had to match the number of cards in a suit. The CY is indeed idiosyncratic, but largely due to that change and particular iconographic changes relating to the Chariot and "World" which necessarily needed to reflect Visconti Milan.

Ah, the six courts are an innovation, but the theological virtues aren't. A couple falling in love doesn't have to imply a royal wedding, or a wedding at all. That is quite an acrobatic theory, that Filippo Maria transferred the three couples of the Charles VI-like Ur-Love to the court cards when he changed the Love card to show a marriage. You give him lots of creativity, but not in the matter of the Three Theological virtues just being added to the standard trump sequence. I suppose you can pick and choose what you want.

I didn't invoke any rule, imaginary or otherwise. It is just that, by analogy, if he expands in one place, then we might reasonably explain the other unique feature of this deck, the series of Theological Virtues, as an expansion as well. It is more parsimonious than assuming that they were in the Ur-Tarot, but got dropped everywhere along with other changes made at Trionfi HQ.
What about the tarot expansion of Minchiate and when do you date the Bolognese variations? Tarot is not that monolithic (especially when we get out of the 15th century).
Minchiate's 20 new cards? The only fixed post quem has to be that it was after the suppression of the Popess in Florence, which I'd guess reflects the increasingly religious conservative mood of the late century, after the party of the previous two or three generations (not unlike our own recent times). In Florence it reached its climax in Savonarola. The earliest reference to Germini is, if I remember correctly, 1502, and I take Germini to be the thing we refer to as Minchiate, whatever Minchiate meant in earlier references. The reason I don't think those extra cards were in the game Minchiate in the 15th century is because there are just as many new trumps as old ones, yet none of the new ones in Germini survive from the 15th century. We have every reason to think that we'd have a representative sample of the extra cards if they existed.

That is, unless the game was very limited until the early 16th century. That is possible too.

What do you mean by "Bolognese variations"? From my perspective, there are only two from the original Florentine game and iconography; shortening the deck by 16 pips, and the demotion of the Chariot from just after the three Virtues to just after Love (in this case, by the time Germini was invented, the Florentines had promoted the Chariot to above Fortune). Both innovations happened in the course of the 16th century, I guess. But I don't have fixed dates.

Of course Tarot IS not monolithic, and it began to change as soon as it left its original home. It evolved there, too. But it had to start in a specific form, which I argue is the standard 22, because, whatever the variations in trump order and iconography, it is always the same subjects that are preserved wherever we find anything we can call a Tarot.

To your last points,
Phaeded wrote: 27 Aug 2023, 23:12
But even assuming a standard for the PMB, AS, EE, and CVI (which I do), this "preponderance" all date to after 1451 which is when I see the innovation of expansion. Lumping the CY in with the "preponderance" is an ahistorical rhetorical maneuver to make it look like the CY is the outlier on the same atemporal table, when it precedes all else by a decade and is the earliest surviving exemplar. Again, there is ZERO evidence for 22 trumps before the PMB itself. All you need is a single reference to 78 cards in the mid-15th century...but it doesn't exist. 70 does.

I remain a 22-trump subjects, A-order fundamentalist because of the evidence for the standard game in the first decade. By the end of 1451, it was played all over Tuscany, it was in the Marches, in Venice, in the Romagna, in Lombardy. The game was loose in the world, and adopting what were to become its traditional forms and play in those regions. The different trump orders prove that they didn't mess around with the number of the subjects, only their ordering in a few places.

Here is the evidence until the end of 1451. Why I think what I think would be clearer to visualize with a chart, but I haven't had the time to do it yet.

The first physical evidence is Rothschild. Their date is hard to pin down, but they bear the unmistakable style of Giovanni dal Ponte, who died before March 1438. The deck has queens, and it has an Emperor. If the date were not controversial, that would be enough to qualify it as a Tarot. If it IS a Tarot, then we have to throw out all of our theories about the influence of Anghiari (you), or the Council (me) on the inspiration for the new game. On the other hand, there is indirect evidence for such a single-Emperor game in the later creation of Fernando della Torre, who studied in Florence in 1432-34, and a 56-card standard pack, i.e. with four court cards including a queen, in Tuscany in Bernardino's sermons of 1425. So the Rothschild cards could be such a single-Emperor game. That is, the Florentines added an Emperor as a trump to their standard cards, and Fernando della Torre, inspired by the game he encountered in Florence in the early 1430s, added an Emperor to the standard Spanish pack in 1450. That's one way to keep the “late invention” of Tarot scenarios alive, and the Rothschild cards can be as old as they (plausibly) like.

So, putting the Rothschild cards to one side...

The first documentary evidence is Giusto Giusti. He says “naibi a trionfi.” He does not describe the deck. From “naibi” I infer that Florentines knew the game by this name already; naibi has only one meaning, “playing cards.” From his lack of description I infer that he felt he had no need to, because what it meant was well-known enough. The game is known in both Florence and Rimini-Malatesta territory now.

The second is Ferrara 10 February 1442. There are four decks, they are called “carte da trionfi.” The scribe describes it as the four suits and all the figures. In the many following records of carte da trionfi in these Este records, this description never occurs again. I infer from this information that 10 February 1442 was the first time the scribe had encountered the game, and wrote a little more than he had to because what it meant was new.

The third is in Ferrara again, the deck sold by Bolognese silk-merchant Marchione Burdochio, 28 July 1442. The game is called “carte da trionfi.” It is cheap, and pre-made. Because of this, I infer it was printed. Where he got it is impossible to know, but Bologna is the first plausible guess, of course.

Around this time, 1440 to 1442, is when the Visconti di Modrone was made in Milan, or Cremona, or wherever the Bembo workshop was. This is secure because Marie-France Lemay, paper curator at the Beinecke, discovered watermarks on the VdM paper that date to between 1439 (watermark on this paper in Reggio Emilia) to 1442 (watermark on this paper in Ferrara).

The next documentary evidence is from 3 January 1444, when two men were arrested for playing “charte a trionfi.” They were playing it in the San Simone district, a poor quarter where the Stinche prison was. We can safely assume that this deck was also a “cheap” kind, or the printed standard type.

The Brambilla deck was probably made in these years, before 1445.

The next documentation is 23 January 1445 in Florence. Two silk dealers (like Marchione Burdochio), Lorenzo di Bartolo and Matteo di Zanobi, sell a standard deck of the “grande” type to another silk-merchant who did business in the Marches. This grande type may have been like the fanti of Swords and Batons, where the Fante of Swords bears an uncanny resemblance to the Charles VI Fante of Swords, but has no expensive pigments or gilding. That is, they come from a deck that repeats what I hold to be the Florentine standard pattern, but cheaply.

For the next documentary reference to the game of Triumphs we have to wait about four years, early 1449 (probably, it could be late 1448), when Jacopo Antonio Marcello is shown how to play the game of Triumphs, and whoever showed it to him gave him the cards. These cards also were not of high quality, “not fit for royalty” as Marcello remarks. After he decided to send them to Isabelle anyway, on Scipio Caraffa's urging, he went looking for cardmakers to buy a high quality deck for her.

The next documentary reference is 1449, Florence, 9 December. The same two silk dealers as in 1445 this time buy six trionfi decks from the painter Giovanni di Domenico. They are really cheap, about 11 soldi each.

22 January 1450 Florence is the next, the same silk dealers sell two cheap Triumph decks (12 soldi each) to a merchant.

Next we go to Ferrara, 16 March 1450, which is a courtly production of Sagramoro, three luxury Triumph decks for Leonello.

Back in Florence 4 April 1450, the same pair of silk dealers acquire three Trionfi decks from Giovanni di Domenico again, even cheaper at 9 soldi each.

In Florence this year, 10 December 1450, the game of Triumphs is permitted to be played, in the company of three other card games, dritta, vinciperdi, and trenta. In this law it is called “trionfo.”

11 December 1450 is the next documentation, Francesco Sforza's letter to his secretary Simonetta “Cichus”) to quickly find him two packs of Triumph cards, of the finest he can find, or if not available any playing cards, of the highest quality there are (naturally). Only four days later Sforza sends another letter thanking him for the cards, but he only says “carte da jocare”, so it is unclear if this means that Simonetta has only found standard playing cards, or Sforza feels he doesn't need to spell out that they were Triumph cards. In any case, Sforza knew that both kinds of cards were ready-made and sold in shops.

Next is early 1451, the town of Gambassi in Florentine territory adopts the exact same permitted card games as Florence, i.e. dritta, vinciperdi, trionfi, trenta. Note that here it is “trionfi”, proving that the game went by both the singular and plural, trionfo and trionfi.

26 January 1451, our familiar silk-dealers acquire two cheap Triumph decks, 14 soldi each, from the artist Antonio di Dino.

12 March 1451, Siena and Sinalunga (Siennese territory) allow the same card games as in Florence.

13 May 1451, same silk dealers sell two cheap “grande” Triumph decks (10.67 soldi as Franco calculated it) to a cassone maker in Venice.

To finish out 1451, 5 August, in Florence again one cheap Triumph deck, 12 soldi, is purchased by a notary.

Most of this is listed with the sources at:
http://trionfi.com/early-trionfi-cards-notes

The evidence of the common game by far overwhelms that of the luxury packs that happen to have survived, either as cards or in documentation. They are rarities compared to the burgeoning regular market for this game, of which the records that Franco studied are just the tip of the iceberg of what artists and cardmakers were making and selling directly.

This common game was a standard product, made and sold along with other cards. Everybody who bought them knew what they were and expected consistency. I cannot believe that the lofty philosophical considerations that you propose were happening in Sforza's court or wherever, about what trumps to put here and there, to remove or change, would have had any effect at all on this regular production and trade. The game was set and established at the beginning, and the luxury productions are modeled on the standard game, not vice-versa. The consistency of the trump subjects among the surviving luxury decks shows what those standard trumps were.
If Ferrara was an early adopter from the very beginning, per that historical possibility I laid out above, it may have accordingly been loathe to accept the innovation made elsewhere (Milan), therefore we encounter a reference to the original 70 card format some 6 years after the innovation of a 78 total card trionfi deck in Milan. Both versions briefly overlapped in time but the centrality and economic might of Milan meant that the 78 card format was to win out, especially since the Sforza dynasty persisted down to the end of the century (and why Malatesta wanted such a deck from Bianca in 1451 - it was novel, and unlike the one he had from Florence since 1440). Ferrara itself eventually following suit per the "Ercole d'Este" deck in 1473.
We don't know how the 70-card deck was composed. Because I can't see how 14 trumps - which ones? - were standard in Ferrara in 1457, I have to accept other explanations for what the "70" means.

If we exclude Charles VI because it appears to be from Apollonio di Giovanni's workshop, and his cassone paintings belong to the same style, which began around 1460, then we have 15 standard trumps accounted for among VdM, Brambilla, PMB, and Catania. If we allow Charles VI as "mid-1450s", because of its close relationship to Catania, which is now dated to around 1450, then every standard trump but the Devil is accounted for. All of this before 1457.

All of this juggling individual trump cards is just so improbable and unnecessary when the obvious, clear, parsimonious, and most Occamic solution is simply that the standard 22 subjects were the original model, all surviving decks have lost some, and the VdM adds three - a coherent single series, not random subjects - to its expanded conception.

Bianca Maria's 14 images have nothing to do with it, and 70 card reference in Ferrara refers to some other configuration, like a deck shortened in the pips. Or it is simply a mistake on the scribe's part.

Huck wrote: 28 Aug 2023, 08:39
There are 2 different dates for the death of Ginevra.
The majority of the writers has "around 12th of October 1440".
The other is, if I remember correctly, the 3rd of September 1440.

We don't know, which of the dates is correct.
The resource to consult on this question might be Roberta Iotti, "Ginevra d'Este Malatesti", in Anna Falcioni, ed., Le donne di casa Malatesti (Rimini, 2006), pp. 345-360.
(other citations say pp. 543-566)

I found a refererence to this text ....

https://docplayer.gr/3525005-Georgios-g ... -blum.html
Der Lieblingssohn des Niccolò, Hugo, und Parisina, beide gerade erst 20 Jahre alt, hatten sich ineinander verliebt, und Niccolò wurde Augen- und Ohrenzeuge einer ihrer verbotenen Liebesnächte. Daraufhin ließ er sich durch nichts und niemanden erweichen, nach einem wahrlich kurzen Prozess wurden seine Frau Parisina Malatesta und sein Lieblingssohn Hugo enthauptet. Just deren Tochter Ginevra, also eine Malatesta, heiratete Sigismondo. Sie gebar ihm einen Sohn, der aber kurz nach der Geburt verstarb, und sie selber ist schon am 3. September 1440, also mit 21 Jahren, verstorben. Der nunmehr zum zweiten Mal offiziell verwitwete Sigismondo heiratete am 25. Oktober 1441 in Cremona eine uneheliche Tochter des Francesco Sforza, die Polissena Sforza. 8 Die Hochzeitsfeierlichkeiten finden am 22. September 1441 statt, die 5 Man lese dazu den Beitrag von Delvecchio, wo auf Seite 699 allein von sieben (!) unehelichen Töchtern des Sigismondo die Rede ist. 6 Iotti: Ginevra in: Falcioni (Hrsg.), Band 1, Iotti: Parisina in: Falcioni (Hrsg.), Band 1, Cf. Orlandi: Polissena Sforza, in: Falcioni (Hrsg.), Band 1,
This reference confirms 1440 September 3 as date of the death of Ginevra.
Huck

Huck wrote: 28 Aug 2023, 19:47 I found a refererence to this text ....

https://docplayer.gr/3525005-Georgios-g ... -blum.html
Der Lieblingssohn des Niccolò, Hugo, und Parisina, beide gerade erst 20 Jahre alt, hatten sich ineinander verliebt, und Niccolò wurde Augen- und Ohrenzeuge einer ihrer verbotenen Liebesnächte. Daraufhin ließ er sich durch nichts und niemanden erweichen, nach einem wahrlich kurzen Prozess wurden seine Frau Parisina Malatesta und sein Lieblingssohn Hugo enthauptet. Just deren Tochter Ginevra, also eine Malatesta, heiratete Sigismondo. Sie gebar ihm einen Sohn, der aber kurz nach der Geburt verstarb, und sie selber ist schon am 3. September 1440, also mit 21 Jahren, verstorben. Der nunmehr zum zweiten Mal offiziell verwitwete Sigismondo heiratete am 25. Oktober 1441 in Cremona eine uneheliche Tochter des Francesco Sforza, die Polissena Sforza. 8 Die Hochzeitsfeierlichkeiten finden am 22. September 1441 statt, die 5 Man lese dazu den Beitrag von Delvecchio, wo auf Seite 699 allein von sieben (!) unehelichen Töchtern des Sigismondo die Rede ist. 6 Iotti: Ginevra in: Falcioni (Hrsg.), Band 1, Iotti: Parisina in: Falcioni (Hrsg.), Band 1, Cf. Orlandi: Polissena Sforza, in: Falcioni (Hrsg.), Band 1,
This reference confirms 1440 September 3 as date of the death of Ginevra.
"The favorite son of Niccolò, Hugo, and Parisina, both just 20 years old, had fallen in love with each other, and Niccolò became a witness to one of their forbidden nights of love. As a result, he could not be swayed by anything or anyone, and after a truly short trial, his wife Parisina Malatesta and his favorite son Hugo were beheaded. However, their daughter Ginevra, a Malatesta, married Sigismondo. She bore him a son, who unfortunately passed away shortly after birth, and she herself died on September 3, 1440, at the age of 21. Sigismondo, now widowed for the second time, married an illegitimate daughter of Francesco Sforza, Polissena Sforza, on October 25, 1441, in Cremona. The wedding celebrations take place on September 22, 1441. Refer to the contribution by Delvecchio, where on page 699 alone, seven (!) illegitimate daughters of Sigismondo are mentioned. Iotti: Ginevra in: Falcioni (ed.), Volume 1, Iotti: Parisina in: Falcioni (ed.), Volume 1, Cf. Orlandi: Polissena Sforza, in: Falcioni (ed.), Volume 1."

I don't think that is real confirmation. Need a contemporary, primary document citation to change the majority opinion of 12 October.

And: "Der nunmehr zum zweiten Mal offiziell verwitwete Sigismondo heiratete am 25. Oktober 1441 in Cremona eine uneheliche Tochter des Francesco Sforza, die Polissena Sforza."

Sigismondo got married to Polissena in Cremona on the same day as Francesco Sforza and Bianca Maria Visconti?

This Italian page gives 3 September for Ginevra's death, too, and says that the marriage contract had been made in Cremona in October 1441. So this must have been some dealing between Malatesta and Sforza, not an actual wedding with Polissena there.

https://www.ereticopedia.org/sigismondo ... -malatesta

"I progetti di ingrandimento del territorio del Malatesta non furono però ostacolati dagli accordi di Cremona. Il 3 settembre dell’anno prima, infatti, era morta, non senza sospetto di avvelenamento, Ginevra d’Este. Sigismondo pensò allora di rafforzare la sua posizione consolidando l’alleanza con Francesco Sforza, divenuto l’erede al Ducato di Milano grazie al matrimonio con Bianca Maria Visconti. Il 29 aprile 1442 Polissena Sforza, figlia di Francesco, entrò dunque a Rimini in qualità di moglie di Sigismondo (gli accordi per il matrimonio erano stati raggiunti già nell’ottobre del 1441)."

"The expansion projects of the Malatesta territory, however, were not hindered by the agreements of Cremona. On September 3rd of the previous year, in fact, Ginevra d'Este had died, not without suspicion of poisoning. Sigismondo then thought of strengthening his position by consolidating the alliance with Francesco Sforza, who had become the heir to the Duchy of Milan through his marriage to Bianca Maria Visconti. On April 29, 1442, Polissena Sforza, daughter of Francesco, entered Rimini as Sigismondo's wife (the marriage agreements had already been reached in October 1441)."

Fine.
Interestingly the same page has an entry about XII October (the other death date of Ginevra), directly below and directly above are notes of September 3 (Ginevra's death date is below). Possibly a minor mental confusion of a writer?
In the text around these entries the writer follows the ordinary row: earlier dates are earlier in the text, later dates are later in the text. Only in this case of XII October the row is disturbed.

And there is an entry about Bianca Maria Visconti visiting Ferrara at 1st of October. Why was this of special interest for Malatesta? Was there a hope, that Malatesta might be a possible husband for Bianca?

I don't think. that Polissena married at the same date. I had searched also for the date of the wedding and didn't find the solution, I remember.

English wiki has ...
Polissena Sforza (1428 – June 1, 1449) .....
Between 1441 and April 1442, at the age of thirteen, she married Sigismondo Pandolfo Malatesta, Lord of Rimini.
13 is rather young. According a genealogy she had a son Galeotto Malatesta † 1442, likely from this it was caculated, that she must have been married at least in April 1442. This shall have been Polissena once ...

At footnote 7 of .... https://archive.org/details/p2rerumital ... 4/mode/2up .... the date "3 September 1441" is noted in the context of Polissena, as if somebody had waited, that the death of Ginevra had passed more than 1 year. This might be seen as a confirmation, that Ginevra indeed died 3 September 1440.
Last edited by Huck on 30 Aug 2023, 05:33, edited 1 time in total.
Huck

Huck wrote: 29 Aug 2023, 03:18 Fine.
Interestingly the same page has an entry about XII October (the other death date of Ginevra), directly below and directly above are notes of September 3 (Ginevras death date is below). Possibly a minor mental confusion of a writer?
In the text around these entries the writer follows the ordinary row: earlier dates are earlier in the text, later dates are later in the text. Only in this case of XII October the row is disturbed.
The confusion stems from Cesare Clementini, Raccolto istorico della fondatione di Rimino (1627).

Internet Archive version, link to page 319 -
https://archive.org/details/bub_gb_nWrP ... 5/mode/2up

Google Books version (same copy, but color pages)
https://books.google.fr/books?id=nWrPt3 ... &q&f=false

His wording can lead the casual reader to think that his term "on the same day" refers to the last date just mentioned, 12 October. But it is clear on close reading, and explicit in the original chronicle, that the 12 October action is just the epilogue to the actions of 3 September and the sale of these towns to Niccolò d'Este on 12 October. "Nello stesso giorno" then goes back to 3 September, and resumes the chronological order.

Clementini is clearly following the Cronaca closely, but confuses the dates in his narration, because he he doesn't name “settembre”, only says, after a reference to 17 August, “alli tre del seguente mese” (i.e. September), and then goes on to follow the Cronaca which also reports that on the 12th the towns just listed were sold to Niccolò d'Este; THEN he says “nello stesso giorno [i.e. that just listed in the chronology as “li tre del seguente mese” (September, unnamed)] morì in Rimino Ginevra”; many authors have thus taken the “same day” to mean 12 October.:
Alli 17 di Agosto Sigismondo Pandolfo, con mille e cinquecento cavalli, & altrettanti fanti passò in Romagna, e si congiunse con Lodovico, Cardinale di S Lorenzo in Lucina, Legaot del Papa, e Patriarca d'Aquilea, accampato sotto Forlimpopoli, venutovi poco dopò la rotta, data al Picinino, che di rabbia s'uccideva, s'ivi non si fosse trovato il figliuolo. Passati due giorni, il Campo della Chiesa, levandosi dal sudetto luogo, si trasferiì a Bagnacavallo, che in capo di otto giorni, mediante il valore di Sigismondo Pandolfo, si rese alla Chiesa, & alli tre del seguente mese l'imitarono Massa, Imola, Bagnara, Bubano, e Bubabana, li quali poì il Legato alli 12 d'Ottobre tutti vendè al Marchese di Ferrara. Nello stesso giorno morì in Rimino Ginevra, moglie di Sigismondo, e figliuola del detto Marchese (non senza sospetto di veleno), & alli 8 fu sepellita nella Chiesa di S. Francesco, con maggior pompa funerale, che fù possible, assistendoni due Vescovi, il Clero, il popolo, e cento huomini, vestiti à bruno, che portavano i doppieri.
"On the 17th of August, Sigismondo Pandolfo, with fifteen hundred horsemen and an equal number of infantry, crossed into Romagna. He joined forces with Lodovico, Cardinal of San Lorenzo in Lucina, the Pope's Legate and Patriarch of Aquileia. They camped near Forlimpopoli shortly after the victory over Picinino, who in his rage would have taken his own life, were it not for the presence of his son. Two days later, the Papal forces, departing from the aforementioned location, moved to Bagnacavallo. Within eight days, through the valor of Sigismondo Pandolfo, Bagnacavallo surrendered to the Church. On the third day of the following month, Massa, Imola, Bagnara, Bubano, and Bubabana followed suit and, on the 12th of October, the Legate sold them all to the Marquess of Ferrara.
"On the same day, in Rimini, Ginevra, Sigismondo's wife and daughter of the aforementioned Marquess, died (not without suspicion of poison). On the 8th, she was buried in the Church of San Francesco with the most elaborate funeral pomp possible. Two Bishops, the Clergy, the people, and a hundred men dressed in black with torches attended the ceremony."

When I first read that in Clementini, not having read the Cronaca, I was confused about Ginevra's funeral on the 8th, if she had died on the 12th. I really thought it was a misprint for “18”. But no, she died on 3 September, and was interred on 8 September.

So, Ginevra died on 3 September 1440, at about 9 am.