Pre-1770 Etteilla, from accounts in 1791 & 1797

At the end of chapter 4 of Wicked Pack of Cards Decker, Depaulis, and Dummett (DDD) discuss a 1797 book that says, in its introduction to one passage, that it is reprinting verbatim a work distributed by Etteilla in 1771 to his friends. Of what follows, DDD say (p. 98, viewable at https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Gn3yHS5om8I/ ... ge-013.jpg):
The style strongly resembles Etteilla's own very peculiar style. Would it be the "Abrégé de la cartonomancie" that our magus has always claimed to have written in 1753? The writer reveals that he was inspired by "a very old manuscript" he owns and that "card reading does not derive from [playing] cards, but from the game of 33 sticks of 'Alpha' [*], name of a Greek refugee in Spain who predicted the future".
There is more, which I will get to (including, for DDD a possible connection to geomancy), but in this post I have more than enough to deal with already.

At the beginning of the above quote, you will have noticed that DDD speak of an "Abrégé de la Cartonomancie", i.e. "Synopsis of Cartonomancy", that Etteilla "always claimed to have written in 1753". I cannot find where they document that Etteilla ever made such a claim, much less that it concerned a Greek refugee in Spain. On p. 78 they do say that in the 1785 book Philosophie des Hautes Sciences "Etteilla speaks of 1753 as the date of his first writing." But no title is mentioned, much less a completed work or anything else about it.

DDD also, on pp. 96-97 (viwableat https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-NcRHuDII2Qo/ ... ge-012.jpg), discuss a 1791 book called Etteilla, ou l'art de lire dans les cartes, which they translate as "Etteilla, or the art of card reading". It is apparently not written by Etteilla, but it is endorsed by him. Its forward, entitled "Le Censeur" -an ironic title, DDD say - claims "Therefore I make myself a guarantee. This is why I approved it and signed. Etteilla. 7 August 1791"). A lengthy quote from this forward speaks, at the end, of Etteilla beginning his method of card reading in 1753:
As early as 1753, our scholar and Renovator of Cartonomancy had begun by discarding the art of reading cards one by one, substituting the art of card reading from the whole pack laid out on the table.
But there is no mention of any "abrégé", here or anywhere else DDD talk about this book.

However there is a selection, unidentified as to source, contained in the Little White Book (LWB) to the Petit Etteilla pack currently published by France Cartes (henceforth FC), which corresponds more or less to what DDD quote and summarize. Here we do find the claim that Etteilla wrote such an "abrégé" - abridgement or synopsis - giving its date as 1757.

A complication in using the LWB to flush out DDD's account is that there are differences between what is there and the excerpts that DDD give in English translation. The main one is that Etteilla's neologism "cartonomancy" does not appear in the LWB version, but the normal French word "cartomancy" in precisely the same places.

The explanation for this difference is probably that the LWB used, not the original of 1791, but a reprint which "corrected" the spelling. In a footnote (note 64, pp. 274-275, viewable at https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-XCugfydY7RM/ ... ge-007.jpg) DDD say that there was in fact such a reprint in c. 1800, and that the spelling was changed in precisely that way.
Some years later, the same book was reissued - the word cartonomancie being systematically substituted for cartonomancie: L'art de tirer les cartes, au moyens de lirer dans l'avenir par le rapprochement des evenemens qui demontrent sans replique l'art chronomanique ...Traduit d'un manuscrit arabe. - A Paris, n.d., [c. 1800], 126 pp. 12mo.

So FC's LWB is probably reproducing that one of c. 1800. The title translates literally as "The art of drawing cards, by means of reading in the future by the approximation of events which demonstrate without replication [or, replicating] the chronomanic art ... Translated from an Arabic manuscript."

The work, if it is the same as the 1791, is obviously not from an Arab manuscript. I do not know what the "art chronomanique" would be, unless it is a general term for divining the future by means of "reading" the generation of apparently random events in the present, such as the patterns made by coffee grounds or the lines in a person's hand. The word "chronomanique" would seem to be derived from the Greek "chronos" - time - and "manike" - madness. I do not find the word in any online French dictionary. Google brings up 9 results, rather a change from the usual million or so. The majority discuss extremely accurate watches made commercially today. The word might refer to a dealer in such watches. On another site, it is used to describe an interior decorator who is "légèrement chronomanique", slightly chronomanic. Perhaps she is obsessed with being on time, or knowing the exact time, I do not know. Another site has the spelling "chronomonique", which seems to be a species of the genus "gnomonique", a branch of engineering that has to do with constructing sundials. That would seem unrelated as well. What the word meant in c. 1800 is so far another of life's mysteries.

I have located an 1802 reprint of the 1797 book to which DDD refer, which seems to be the one referred to by DDD in their footnote 65, p. 275 (see again https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-XCugfydY7RM/ ... ge-007.jpg). It is possible that its author was Saint-Sauveur, as I will explain. Again DDD have greatly condensed their source. I will get to the 1797 text in another post. It is not reproduced in FC's LWB. In this post I want focus on the 1791 work as I find it in DDD and the LWB, in the latter both in French and English.

Another problem, besides the changed spelling of "cartonomancy", with using the LWB version is that DDD's bits in English do not always precisely correspond to what is in FC's French, or their English translation--at least not to my literal-minded self. The differences are minor, but one of them is in what I have already quoted, where DDD erroneously have it said that Etteilla's difference with his predecessors is that he spreads the whole deck out on the table. That mistranslation could give rise to some confusion about Etteilla if taken at face value.

Below I have transcribed FC's French text, from pp. 5-10 of the French side of the LWB, corresponding to 9-14 of the English side. To make things easier for the reader (and me), I will divide it into two parts and deal with only the first part in this post. It is this part that discusses the "abrégé". After the French, I give an English translation - actually three of them, for some sentences. I have put DDD's translations in bold, with alternative readings, from the LWB and my own judgment, in brackets and not in bold. But there is a lot more in the LWB version, which DDD either omit or summarise. For this my translation is in ordinary print, but also including FC's translation in brackets where I differ from it. The chance of accuracy is thereby increased, but I hope this way of proceeding proves not to be too confusing.
L'Art de Tirer les Cartes

En 1750, on ne connaissait pas en France l'art de tirer les cartes; mais in 1751, 1752, et 1753, trois personnes âgées se donnèrent pour les tirer.

Elles avaient raison, quisqu'àpres avoir mêler et fait couper un jeu de trente-deux-cartes, elles faisaient tirer à une du jeu; et lorsque le questionnant avait sorti in pique, cela (prétendaient ces vieilles gens) annonçait du chagrin: de même que les coeurs annonçait de la joie, les carreaux de la campagne et les trèfles de l'argent.

Le fanatisme cria au sacrilège, et la police, pour sauver ces prétendus [start p. 10] sorciers de la main des dévots, les faisent renfermer, sans les entendre, à la Salpàtrière.

Cette tyrannie dura jusqu' en 1770, où Etteilla, qui avant réfléchi, étudié, et enfin reconnu que le faux art de tirer les cartes provenait de la plus utile et de la plus sublime des sciences, s'oppose, avec autant de force que de raisonnement et d'adresse, à l'ignorance du fanatisme.

Dès 1753, notre savant rénovateur de la cartomancie avait débuté par jeter en bas l'[/i]Art de tirer les cartes un à un[/i], en y suppléant l'art de lire dans l'ensemble des cartes amenées sur la table. Mais (c'est notre avis) de même eùt-il, au premier abord, par le titre que nous prenons, []l'Art de lire dans les cartes[/i], empêcher [start p. 11] que le faux titre de l'Art de tirer les cartes, se perpétuât!

Notre auteur, dès 1753, en donnant la manière de lire les significations adaptées aux cartes, avait non seulement rédigé les fausses significations que les trois personnes leur admettaient, chacune de leur côté; mais en outre accordé ces significations, en prenant légitemement pour le neuf de coeur celle de la victoire, qui, par une autre de ces trois personnes, était mal à propos attribuée au neuf de carreau, etc.

L'art de tirer les cartes, suivant Etteilla, ne peuvait être d'une invention aussi moderne que les cartes françaises. D'après un manuscrit ancien, il le crut prevenir des trente-trois bâtons d'un Grec, que dans la [start p. 12] Gaule, s'en servant pour rendre des oracles, avait pris ou avait naturellement pour nom Alpha.

Cette origine n'était pas juste, mais elle n'était pas non plus dénuée de rapport, puisque les bâtons d'Alpha et l'art de tirer les carts sont ce que l'on peut dire, les tables qui ont succédé à la vérité de la cartomancie égyptienne. Mensonge heureux s'il en peut être puisque, sans l'art de tirer les cartes, notre siècle n'eût peut-être pas eu l'avantage de mettre au rang de ses découvertes, la plus utile de toutes les sciences, la Cartomancie.

Dans l'abrégé de 1757, notre auteur ne manqua pas d'appuyer de nouveau, que tirer les cartes une à une du jeu, pour les expliquer une à une était une ignorance imitée de la manière de l'Odyssée d'Homer, les vers de Virgile, et l'abus de Sort des Saints.

(In 1750, the art of card reading[/b] [FC: drawing cards (tirer = drawing)] was unknown in France; but in 1751, 1752, and 1753, three aged people [DDD add: , among them two women and a man] offered to read the cards [se donnèrent pour les tirer = literally, "gave themselves for drawing them"; FC: worked at drawing them].

They were right, however, because after having shuffled and cut a deck of thirty-two cards, they had the person draw [FC: they would have them drawn] one by one from the pack; and when the questioner had drawn a Spade, this (as these old people used to say [FC: according to these elderly people]) announced sorrow: so Hearts announced joy, Diamonds country, and Clubs money.

Fanaticism cried [FC: called it] sacrilege, and the police, in order to save these so-called sorcerers from the hands of the devouts [FC omits "the hands" and has "of these devout people"], has them locked up, without listening to them, in the Salpetrière [FC: in the prisons of Bicêtre and the Salpetrière].

This tyranny lasted until 1770, when Etteilla, having reflected, studied, and finally recognized [FC: who had given the matter much thought, studied and finally admitted] that the false art of drawing cards came from the most useful and sublime of the sciences, oppose himself to the ignorance of fanaticism, with as much force as reason and skill.

As early as 1753, our scholar and Renovator of Cartonomancy [FC: Cartomancy] had begun by discarding the art of reading cards one by one, substituting the art of card reading from the whole pack laid out on the table [lire dans l'ensemble des cartes amenées sur la table = reading as a whole the cards brought to the table; CF: interpreting the drawn cards as a whole] . But (it is our opinion) it is in the same way, by the title we take, the Art of reading [lire dans, literally "reading in" or "reading into"] the cards , that prevents the false title of the Art of drawing the cards from perpetuating itself! [This is my guess: neither DDD and Cartes France translate this last sentence. I have no idea what its point is.]

Our author, from 1753, in giving the manner of reading [lire] the meanings adapted to the cards, not only wrote up the false meanings which the three persons gave to them, each in their own way, but in addition restored the legitimate meanings, giving the meaning of victory to the nine of hearts [coeurs], which, by one of these three persons, was improperly attributed to the nine of diamonds [carreaux], etc. [DDD: "Then it is said that Etteilla restored the 9 of Spades' true meaning - Victory - which had wrongly been assigned to the 9 of Diamonds by the three aged persons"; CF: "..the author wrote up not only the false meanings given separately by each of the three elderly people, but also granted these meanings, legitimately taking that of victory for the 9 of hearts, which was wrongly allocated to the 9 of diamonds by one of the three people, etc." ]

The art of drawing cards, according to Etteilla, could not be of an invention as modern as the French cards. With the backing of an ancient manuscript, he thought it came from the 33 sticks of a Greek, who used them in Gaul to pronounce oracles and had taken or had naturally the name of [FC: had taken the name or was called naturally] Alpha. [DDD for this paragraph omit the first sentence and have only: From an ancient manuscript, he thought it came from the 33 sticks that a Greek, in Gaul, used in order to give oracles; he had taken or had by birth the name of Alpha.]

This origin was not correct, but it was not without relevance either [dénuée de rapport; FC: not devoid of connection] since the sticks of Alpha and the art of card reading [FC: drawing cards] are, as one can say [FC: what one could call], the fables which in fact succeeded to Egyptian cartonomancy [les fables qui ont succédé à la vérité de la cartomancie égyptienne; FC: the fables which followed the truth of Egyptian cartomancy]. A fortunate lie as it were, because without the art of drawing cards, our century might not have had the advantage of putting in the rank of [FC: probably would not have had the chance of ranking among] its discoveries the most useful of all sciences, Cartomancy.

In the abridgment of 1757, our author did not fail to press again [FC: In the synopsis of 1757, Etteilla points out once again] that drawing the cards one by one from the pack, in order to interpret them one by one, was an ignorance imitating the manner of [FC: similar to the method of searching for oracles in] Homer's Odyssey, the verses of Virgil, and the abuse of the Lots of the Saints.)
DDD's slip of mixing up Hearts and Spades is a small error, although one they could have seen for themselves if they had looked at the table at the beginning of the chapter, where Victory is clearly associated with the 9 of Hearts.

The error about reading from "the whole pack laid out on the table" is a larger one, in that Etteilla did not in most cases lay out the whole pack on the table, but only some of them. In the 1773 book there is one "spread" that does use the whole piquet deck, but that is an exception, only recommended for virtuosos.

Etteilla was very proud of his innovation, that of reading combinations of cards. In actual fact his examples, and those of his followers, did go one card at a time, turning the sequence of cards into a single sentence, each card from right to left corresponding to a single word or idea of the sentence in order (French word order, of course, at least for French readers and their questioners). However sometimes the meaning of a particular card was affected by the cards before or after it--especially the one immediately before or after, but sometimes others. So it would not be possible to give a sure meaning to one card until all had been seen.

Then there is the question of whether the abrégé was done in 1757 or 1753. 1757 would seem to be the more reliable date. I notice that in the introduction to the FC booklet, its editor in fact says that the abrégé was done in 1753, even though the text he is introducing says 1757. Perhaps DDD read that and misremembered it as what is in the text itself.

DDD mention that in the first edition of his book on card reading with a piquet deck, of 1770, there is a picture of someone with cards and the label "Alpha", otherwise unexplained in the text. In the 2nd edition of that book, published in 1773, he does speak of 33 sticks as "illusions of the Gauls". Here is DDD's translation, from p. xv of the 1773 book (https://books.google.com/books?id=CI85A ... is&f=false):
The 33 sticks thrown in a circle from breast height: Illusion of the ancient Gauls. I say: illusion, because they imagined they actually saw the Soldiers or Generals they had designated with their sticks run away, when these sticks fell out of the circle.
Of this DDD comments that this method of divination "is presented in a very negative light" and that "It nevertheless may be inferred that Etteilla had heard of some divinatory method with sticks as early as 1770 and that he had the name Alpha in mind, maybe as an alternative pen-name" (p. 97). )Later, when we get to the 1797 document, we will see that they find grounds there that he might have been thinking of Alpha even in 1757 (or 1753, as they think).)

Andrea Vitali talks about this method of divination in an essay that I translated at http://www.associazioneletarot.it/page. ... 49&lng=ENG:
... a verse of Canto XX of the poem Storied Spain, a chivalric romance composed in the fourteenth century but only printed in Milan in 1519, makes reference to the sortilege with which Roland sought to discover the enemies of Charlemagne: "He made a circle and afterwards threw the carte", which means, as Lozzi pointedly suggests in his article of 1899, that "he threw the cards as is done in a game, or in the throwing of dice, but threw them within the circle, to discover from their arrangement, as determined by magic power (sortilege) who were the enemies of the Emperor and where they were to be found" (9).
What "carte" means here (in Italian it can mean "papers" or "pages"), and if its equivalent was in the original poem, is not clear. In 14th century Spain, cards would have been quite new, if known at all by the Spanish author. Moreover, all the other editions of the poem have "arte", not "carte", i.e. "cast the art" (viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1019&p=15404&hilit ... rds#p15404; in that post Ross also goes further, hypothesizing that "threw the carte", meant "threw open the book"; but Vitali assures me that the Italian verb "gettare" used there, to throw, could not mean "throw open"). We might wonder if there is some relationship to Etteilla's sticks, as another version of the story that he might have heard, one about throwing objects into a circle to divine the movements of the enemy. There is no mention in Andrea's version of 33. I suspect that to be Etteilla's addition, if not also the part about sticks.

DDD invariably speak of "card reading", whereas the French says sometimes "lire" (reading) but more often "tirer" (drawing). In English, it is true, we usually say "reading the cards". That is probably due to Etteilla's method, by which cartomancy became less like drawing lots and more like reading a sentence, whose words, reading right to left, were the cards. Before then, it was indeed like "drawing lots", where the lots drawn would be a prediction instead of a person's name, as in the case where in Athens jury members were chosen by lots drawn from an urn, or a saying in a lot-book. The lot-book of the saints to which the text refers would have been an updating of the ancient Greco/Roman lot-books, which tied roles of the dice to particular gods and fortunes related to those gods, now Christianized so that instead of gods the roles of the dice were tied to particular saints. I am not aware of any lots being drawn in the Odyssey; it is in the Iliad where that happens, drawing lots for a dangerous mission against Troy. I do not know the reference for Virgil.

I will continue with the second part of the 1791 forward in another post. And after that, there is more to be investigated regarding this Alpha and his 33 sticks, namely, the asterisk in the quotation with which I started this thread, which is from the work of 1797.

Added later: To summarize thus far: the 1791 document endorsed by Etteilla says that he began his work in cartonomancy in 1753, beginning with the meanings that three aged persons separately associated to the cards of the piquet deck.( Born in 1738, he would have been 15 or 16 at the time.) By 1757 he had corrected, in his view, what the old people had said, for example that the 9 of hearts and not of diamonds, as one of the people had said, meant "victory"; he had written a kind of abridged version of card-reading, also conveying that a group of cards had to be considered as a unit instead of just one at a time. He associated his system with an old manuscript which supported the idea that a Greek who had moved to Gaul had used 33 sticks, somehow corresponding to his 33 cards, to pronounce oracles, a story that even if untrue somehow derived from the true system he later recognized as coming from ancient Egypt. This same legend or "fable" corresponded to a practice of throwing 33 sticks into a circle, by which it had been thought in the same region that the movements of enemy troops could be seen. Such a practice, but with other objects and without a definite number, can also be found--as interpreted by Carlo Lozzi in 1899 and reported by Vitali--in a 14th century Spanish narrative poem, but using objects reported as "carte" in one edition (but as "casting the art" in other editions) of an Italian translation of early 16th century Milan.

Also later (another few minutes): I modified the presentation of Vitali and Lozzi to take into account the post by Ross linked to.
Last edited by mikeh on 15 Jan 2017, 13:19, edited 5 times in total.

Re: Pre-1770 Etteilla, from accounts in 1791 & 1797

Sticks are a quite common tool in divination.

In the I-Ching used 50 sticks (Schafgarbe, Achillea) and 6x3 = 18 counting operations to get one oracle. The complex counting generated a probability for the results ...

"6" = probability 1 of 16 = strong yin
"9" = probability 3 of 16 = strong yang
"7" = probability 5 of 16 = weak yang
"8" = probability 7 of 16 = weak yin

The very similar geomancy used points on paper or in sand. The counting was relative simple.
In both systems modulo-operations were used. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modulo_operation

Another Chinese oracle methods used numbered sticks.
Old Germanic oracles used sticks. I found a description for 2 sticks.

The Persian alphabet has 32 letters, four more as the Arabic alphabet.

The Berber alphabet has 33 letters ...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tifinagh

This is given as a modern alphabet ... but ...
"According to M.C.A. MacDonald, the Tuareg are "an entirely oral society in which memory and oral communication perform all the functions which reading and writing have in a literate society… The Tifinagh are used primarily for games and puzzles, short graffiti and brief messages."

"Neo-Tifinagh

Neo-Tifinagh is the modern fully alphabetic script developed from earlier forms of Tifinagh. It is written left-to-right.

Until recently, virtually no books or websites were published in this alphabet, with activists favouring the Latin (or, more rarely, Arabic) scripts for serious usage; however, it is extremely popular for symbolic use, with many books and websites written in a different script featuring logos or title pages using Neo-Tifinagh. In Morocco, the king took a "neutral" position between the claims of Latin script and Arabic script by adopting the Neo-Tifinagh script in 2003; as a result, books are beginning to be published in this script, and it is taught in some schools. However, many independent Berber-language publications are still published using the Berber Latin alphabet. Outside Morocco, it has no official status. The Moroccan state arrested and imprisoned people using this script during the 1980s and 1990s. The Algerian Black Spring was also partly caused by this repression of the Berber language.

In Algeria, almost all Berber publications use the Berber Latin Alphabet.

In Libya, the regime of Gaddafi consistently banned the Berber Tifinagh script from being used in public contexts such as store displays and banners.

After the Libyan Civil War, the National Transitional Council has shown an openness towards the Berber language. The independent rebel Libya TV, based in Qatar, has included the Berber language and the Tifinagh alphabet in some of its programming.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tifinagh

Etteilla points to a Greek refugee "Alpha" in Spain. But if "Alpha" was simply "al-fal" and Arabic for divination methods and not Greek, then we quickly come to the condition, that Moors played a big role in Spain in older times. And there were a lot of contacts and cultural exchange between the Spanish Moors and the North African Moors.

33 sticks numbered with letters (= symbolic expressions) make sense as a forerunner for Etteilla's definitions of his cards.

Memories of the Slave Trade: Ritual and the Historical Imagination in Sierra Leone
Rosalind Shaw
University of Chicago Press, 8 Apr 2002 - Social Science - 312 pages
https://books.google.de/books?id=oQcbfY ... on&f=false

... has some passages to North African divination techniques
Huck
http://trionfi.com

One small issue. You write:
'
Etteilla points to a Greek refugee "Alpha" in Spain.

That is in the 1797 document. I haven't gotten there yet. My including it in the discussion of the 1791 document was my confusion. (I have gone back and removed it.) DDD don't mention it until the next page, in their discussion of the 1797. Etteilla seems to have changed Alpha's location at some point, from Gaul to Spain or from Spain to Gaul. I am not sure at the moment which came first. It is a matter of getting the texts and then comparing them.

You also write,
33 sticks numbered with letters (= symbolic expressions) make sense as a forerunner for Etteilla's definitions of his cards.
It may make sense, but to make it credible you need to know what Etteilla's definitions of his cards were in his 1757 document, and then compare them to known symbolic associations to the letters of the alphabet (which did not have 33 letters, either in Greece or Muslim Spain; Persia is too far away). We cannot go by what he published in 1773--for one thing, there are too many definitions, 66 or so (with reversed meanings for every card)--not an auspicious number. That is what I am getting to, his definitions in 1757. And for 33, it is not alphabets, but geomantic systems that are most relevant, as DDD point out, in a part I am getting to. We also need to know that we can safely subtract one card from his system, as well as reversed meanings. I am getting to that next. Moreover, we also have to consider less exotic sources, such as the ones in England, Italy, and Christian Spain that Ross and Mary Greer have reviewed.

... :-) ... I've only speculated on that, what DDD 1996 offered. Geomantic systems of the Berbers are not my favored topic.

If a "Greek called "Alpha" was as refugee in Spain" in young Etteilla's imagination ...

Alexis sounds Greek. Alexis sounds similar to Alpha. And beside that: Alliette also sounds similar.

Alexis was met in Lamballe ...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamballe
... (holidays at the sea for young Etteilla ? 12 km distance ... ) in 1757 (or before ? 1753?). Alexis suggested Tarot as the better card deck. Etteilla studied this from 1757-1765.

The Esoteric Tarot: Ancient Sources Rediscovered in Hermeticism and Cabalah
Ronald Decker
Quest Books, 15 Jul 2013 - Body, Mind & Spirit - 312 pages
https://books.google.de/books?id=EllbBg ... &q&f=false

Visual Cultures of Secrecy in Early Modern Europe
Timothy McCall, Sean Roberts, Giancarlo Fiorenza
Truman State University Press, 1 Apr 2013 - Art - 248 pages
https://books.google.de/books?id=LPmVAwAAQBAJ&pg=PA60

Recently I noted:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=827&start=10#p18591
In the Dummett-Decker-Depaulis' work "A Wicked Pack of Cards" I found 2 footnotes (No. 62+65) to Saint-Sauveur (p. 274-75): Footnote 65 ...

Is this the text you mean with "account in ... 1797"?

I noted at ...
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=824&p=11755&hilit= ... eur#p11755
From an auction I get this picture from a version of c. 1830:
http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/8964956

... well, our Magician somehow.
Meanwhile I've gotten doubts, if this is the correct text (from the production of St-Sauveur in 1797). Maybe, maybe not.

Actually DDD already noted Alexis Piémontois (Alessio Piedmontese):

... related to Footnote 16 at page 78.
Huck

I looked up ...

Fragment sur les hautes sciences, suivi d'une note sur les trois sortes de médecines données aux hommes... par Etteila (i. e. Alliette)...
Jean-Baptiste Alliette
1785 - 64 pages
https://books.google.de/books?id=qdHgqW ... ts&f=false

It has in 1785 an announcement ...

It reads, as if Etteilla had an own Tarot deck then. The upper deck seems to be Petit Etteilla.

A theater play ... end of 18th century

Les trois maris, comédie en cinq actes et en prose; par L.B. Picard. Représentée, pour la première fois, sur le théâtre de la rue Feydeau, par les Comédiens sociétaires de l'Odéon, le 27 thermidor an 8, Issue 4
Louis Benoît Picard
chez Huet, libraire, rue Vivienne, n. 8 - 104 pages
https://books.google.de/books?id=6LTXR1 ... ne&f=false

... with "cartonomancy" ...

L' Oracle français, ou Prédictions des évènemens dont la France et autres etats du globe éprouveront les effets en l'an 6 de la République française (1798). Ensemble plusieurs passages de la Bible, concernant les révolutions présentes et futures, etc. etc. Par Rouy ainé, ..
by Rouy
chez l'auteur, rue Denis, n. 5., division des Marchés, entre les rues des Precheurs et de la Chanvrerie, 1797
https://books.google.de/books?id=AqKsIx ... ne&f=false

Worldcat ...
https://www.worldcat.org/search?q=au%3A ... dblist=638

The author Rouy has many publications.

A good part of these start with "Le Magicien républicain, ou almanach des oracles ...."
Last edited by Huck on 16 Jan 2017, 01:14, edited 1 time in total.
Huck

Huck wrote
I looked up ...

Fragment sur les hautes sciences, suivi d'une note sur les trois sortes de médecines données aux hommes... par Etteila (i. e. Alliette)...
Jean-Baptiste Alliette
1785 - 64 pages

It has in 1785 an announcement ...

It reads, as if Etteilla had an own Tarot deck then. The upper deck seems to be Petit Etteilla.
Do you have a link for this?

The problem is that you cannot always go by the date printed on the title page. Reprints didn't change the title page, but left it as in the original. Then the advertisements from the back are from the later time, when it was reprinted.
The address given is that of Etteilla, so it seems to be when Etteilla is still alive, so before 1792. Added later: even that may not be true, if the Interprets used his address after his death. I will have to check DDD on this.
Last edited by mikeh on 16 Jan 2017, 02:22, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks for the link, Huck.

Huck wrote:
Maybe not really all from 1785. But if they changed nothing (inclusive the announcement page), then it doesn't change the case.
It's the "inclusive the announcement page" that is at issue. It is easy to add a page that wasn't in the original. If that wasn't a later addition, then much of what DDD say about the early history of Etteilla's deck is wrong [added later: if indeed Etteilla's deck is what is being advertised]. I do not claim DDD to be infallible, obviously, since I am finding small errors everywhere I look. But the evidence on one side needs to be weighed against the evidence on the other. We can't take the "1785" on the title page as proof that the page after it, with advertisements, was first printed in 1785, even if the title page was in fact first printed in 1785.

Added later in the day: The answer, however, is in the footnote on the bottom of the page, which you didn't include in your snippet. It explains that the cards themselves can't be bought in Paris, but are in Strasbourg, Lyon, Bordeaux, etc. They are just the ordinary Tarot de Marseille or Besancon, which must be altered per Etteilla's instructions. So the publication with this announcement is after the date when the 4th Cahier was published (since it advertises all 4 volumes) and before he started importing Tarot de Marseille decks and reselling them himself. Since the 4th Cahier was in fact printed in 1785, it is quite likely that the "fragment" with this announcement was published then as well. As to the deck that goes with the other book, the third edition of the one on how to read the cards of a piquet deck, probably that is just an ordinry piquet deck, although we can't be sure.

Huck wrote,
Meanwhile I've gotten doubts, if this is the correct text (from the production of St-Sauveur in 1797). Maybe, maybe not.
Yes, it's good you have doubts. The book you showed, "L'Adroit Escamoteur", is not the one DDD are talking about. I will post a page with the correct title later.

My purpose in this thread is to examine the writings about Etteilla by him and those who knew them for clues as to where he got his system for fortune-telling with a piquet deck. In that vein I will continue with my transcription and translation of the 1791 document, based on the France Cartes (FC) version in the Little White Book that goes with their reprint of the Petit Etteilla. DDD do quote some of it, and when they do I will put their quotation in bold print. FC's version inserts an occasional explanatory comment by the editor, designated there by the initials "MM". There is no indication of who in particular MM would be.

I think it will be easier for the reader if I do not present the text in one piece, but rather interrupt it whenever I have something to say about it.
Enfin, notre savant professeur de cartomancie en 1757, instruit par un Piémontais que le livre des premiers Egyptiens, livre nommé THOT ou TOUT, tracé en hiéroglyphes, et connu sous le nom et le jeu Tarots, ou mieux THAROTH, renfermant toutes les sciences anciennes, en fit une sérieuse étude; et malgré les empéchements des censeurs-royaux, de l'administration de la librarie, et de la police 1782, il mit au jour, en 1783, son ouvrage sur le THAROTH ou Taros, qui lui avait coùté plus de dix ans consécutifs d'études et de réflexions.
[start p. 14]
Cet auteur, en rendant justice au génie et à la science de Court de Gébelin, terrassa ce qui ce grave antiquare avant transcrit dans son huitième volume du Monde primitif, d'après un amateur qui, lui-même, n'avait pu copier l'art de tirer les cartes, dont il est question, que d'après sa cuisinière.

(Finally, our learned professor of cartomancy in 1757 studied carefully the book of the first Egyptians, a book called THOT or TOUT (ALL), written in hieroglyphs, and known under the name Tarots, or better THAROTH, instructed by a Piedmontese that it contained all the ancient sciences; and in spite of obstacles from royal censors, the Book Office, and the Police, in 1782, he brought to light, in 1783, his work on THAROTH or Tarots which had cost him more than ten consecutive years of studying and thinking.

This author, while rendering justice to the genius and science of Court de Gébelin, brought down what this grave antiquarian had transcribed in his eighth volume of Monde Primitif, from an amateur who himself could only copy the art of card reading [tirer les cartes], which is in question here, from his kitchen maid [cuisinière. normally translated "cook"].)
First, about the word "hieroglyphs"; that is not as absurd as it sounds, because the word then was understood to mean any series of pictures representing a sacred thought that could be understood by the wise, even of some other time, and not the ignorant. The tarot images had been called "hieroglyphs" as early as the c. 1656 "anonymous discourse". That in itself did not imply Egyptian origin, as it was thought that the obelisks in Rome were of Roman rather than Egyptian origin. However by Etteilla's time it was probably clear that they were Egyptian.

Then there is the "Piemontese". In the 2nd Cahier, p. 137, Etteilla states quite clearly that his Alexis, besides being a Piedmontese himself, was the grandson of Alexis called the Piedmontese http://etteillastrumps.blogspot.fr/2012 ... whole.html):
J'avoue que c'est sous cette division que j'ai, dans mes premieres études de ce Livre, cherché à l'apprendir, aidé des sages avis d'un sage Piémontois (a) très-agé, & se disant petit fils d'Alexis dit le Piémontois. (Il étoit singulierement instruit, & discouroit avec une sagesse & une précision net ses idées.

(I avow that it was under this division that I sought to learn in my first studies of this Book, helped by the wise opinions of a wise, very aged Piedmontese (a) who said he was the grandson of Alexis said the Piedmontese. He was singularly educated, and discoursed on his ideas with wisdom and clear precision.
Later in the same passage he gives the year as 1757 and the place they met as Lambelle. They met for eight days. Alexis then went overseas (outre-mer); he invited Etteilla to go with him but he declined.

I think we are to assume the grandfather is the famous "Alexis Piemontese" who wrote the book of recipes for medicines. It was still in print in Etteilla's day. Who better to make your mythical informant a descendant of, than somebody people know a little about? Few would know that he was born in 1500 and died n 1566 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexius_Pedemontanus; that site also has links to online scans of the Italian, French, and German editions of the book). Any child he had would have been born at least by 1566. Any child the son had would be born by 1630 or so, at the latest. That would make Etteilla's Alexis 120 years old at least, "très-agé" indeed. Well, maybe great-grandson, then, of ancestors who gave birth to his later ancestors very late in life, or even great-great-grandson. It is more likely that Etteilla invented this ancestry; after all, he was a dealer in prints and probably old books as well, since he would have had to buy whole lots at auction. That is not to say, however, that he didn't meet somebody, who may have preferred to remain anonymous.

Given Alexis's Italian derivation, there is the question of whether there is any relationship between the Bolognese list of c. 1750 and Etteilla's, which he says dates to this Alexis in 1757. Bologna is not far from Venice, where the famous Alexis died. Probably his descendants lived there, too. Venice was rather notorious for its occult arts to cause healing and illness, as was Bologna in the late 15th century. Venetians traveled a lot, as did Bolognese, whoever their ancestors. That he was Piedmontese might just refer to where his family was from. I don't know many generations of a family have to live in Venice before they are considered Venetian. Any connection to Venice or Bologna is open for further investigation. It is true that the list from Bologna was for the tarots, not the cards of the common suits, but there might be something.

I will go on to Court de Gebelin. DDD say of the "obstacles from the royal censors" and the disparaging remarks about the "grave antiquarian" de Gebelin and the "amateur" de Mellet, that "Etteilla certainly had some resentment against Court de Gebelin" (DDD p. 97, at https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-NcRHuDII2Qo/ ... ge-012.jpg). It is not clear exactly what this resentment consists of. It is possible that he considered de Gebelin to be the original censor who in 1782 had not permitted Etteilla's book to be published. But what would be his objection, on moral as opposed to literary merits? It is more likely that some people accused him of getting his idea of Egyptian origin from de Gebelin. Against this, there is the title of the rejected book in 1782 as recorded in the General Book Office, where DDD found it. It begins "Cartonomanie [sic] Egyptienne" (DDD p. 83): the Egyptian origin theory is right there. Etteilla said in 1787 that this fact shows that he was not copying de Gebelin (DDD p. 83, quoting Lecons Theoriques et Pratiques, pp. 19-20):
This book... could not be copied from de Gebelin; we even have the proof of the date, 1782, thanks to the registers of the General Book Office...
However 1782 is the year after 1781, the date de Gebelin published his work. This would have given him time to add a few things before submitting it to the censor, perhaps hoping it would be de Gebelin.

DDD in fact suggest that Etteilla adjusted this work published in 1783 but rejected in 1782 to fit the ideas in de Gebelin's book. Earlier I quoted the 1791 document as saying of the three old people he got his first lists from:
...when the questioner had drawn a Spade, this (according to these elderly people) announced sorrow: so Hearts announced joy, Diamonds country, and Clubs money.
This is quite close to what de Mellet said, as DDD point out ("Hearts portend happiness, Clubs wealth, Spades misfortune, Diamonds indifference & the countryside").

DDD also say, looking at his 1783 list of meanings, that (p. 94)
It is clear that Etteilla has slightly adapted his scheme in order to fit ... de Mellet's own general meanings of the suits.
The evidence is that now he has, in Batons, a card meaning "country"--although it is a different card that de Mellet assigned that meaning to. Added later: actually, "country" was part of the list for Diamonds, Etteilla's equivalent of Batons, in 1773; it is nothing new since de Gebelin. As for Cups, this suit now has to do with "success and victory", whereas before they had to do with "power and expectations". Well, let us compare the two lists: in 1773 they went, from Ace down to 7: Mars/Extraordinary table, town (ville)/inheritance, victory/boredom, blonde girl/chestnut blond girl, thought/desire. In 1783 they go: table, city (ville), victory, blonde girl, thought. To which he has added, 6 down to 2: the past, inheritance, boredom, success, love. The only differences between these lists is that "success" has been added, and "desire" changed to "love".

Are these slight modifications due to de Mellet? I don't know. Etteilla's later assignments to particular cards are far more similar to his earlier list than they are to de Mellet's comparable assignments. For example the 9 of Hearts does not mean Victory for de Mellet, nor does the 9 of Diamonds. Victory for de Mellet is represented by the Ace of Hearts (as it is in the decks of St. Sauveur). It is clear that Etteilla has drawn on the same general tradition as de Mellet. His later thoughts may well have been influenced by him, too, despite his protestations. But it is not enough to change the whole character of the suit. What is clear is that neither man invented his system from nothing; de Mellet, probably not at all, Etteilla to some degree.

But for Etteilla, de Mellet's is a kitchen maid's version, not that of a wise adept. However it is more serious than that. De Mellet's example propounded a system in which 10 cards were laid out and the interpretation depended on all of them being read together, not one by one. It is one in which combinations of cards mattered, not individual cards taken in isolation. Not only that, it involved a numerical calculation (something Etteilla actually didn't do much of, and I wonder if kitchen maids did either), adding up the point-values of three cards to get 7, the number of fat and lean years in Pharaoh's dream (he is imagining a reading as if performed by Joseph). In short, it is no different in form than what Etteilla was propounding, except that Etteilla already in 1770 had presented such a system. So it is necessary for Etteilla to criticize de Gebelin and de Mellet, in order to promote himself as more profound, and de Mellet as describing an utterly debased system. This is standard procedure.

What is shown is that there were several systems for card-reading, all rather similar, Etteilla's among others. The oracle decks are from another system, not Etteilla's. It would be good to write down the card meanings in the various oracle decks, to see what systems existed. I do not mean the pictures, which are useful mainly for identifying an artist or author/designer. I mean the writing. That includes the three numbers printed on the cards; these are lottery numbers, which might be indications of what numbers to buy if one dreams of what is on the card. The 1802 reprint of the 1797 book is full of them, as are other books on cartomancy of the time (with different correspondences!). This system Etteilla credits to his disciple Hisler (DDD p. 100).

Etteilla may have originated one thing (actually, two as we shall see in a moment), the practice of reading reversals (which the oracle decks then copy). De Gebelin and de Mellet do not talk about reversals at all. However Etteilla oddly does not take credit for inventing that practice. That question remains open.

I continue.
Nous n'eussions pas entrée dans ces légers détails historiques et crititiques, si nous n'étions moralement persuadés que la Cartomancie égyptiene (d'où M. Etteilla a tiré la Cartomancie française que nous vous offrons ici, comme quatrième édition, y compris les abrégés) deviendrait un jour la science la plus d'usage dans l'éducation des hommes, puisqu'elle est reconnue par la Société literaire (MM. les interprètes [start p. 15] du livre de Thot), la vrai et unique science par principe de la prévoyance et de toutes nos vertus morales. Entrons dans notre sujet.

(We would not have entered into these few historical and critical details if we were not morally persuaded that Egyptian Cartomancy (from which M. Etteilla drew French Cartomancy which we offer you here, as a fourth edition, including synopses) would one day become the most widely used science in the education of men, because it is recognized by the Literary Society (MM: the interpreters of the book of Thoth), the true and unique science on the principle of foresight and all our moral virtues. Let us enter our subject.
Here the part in parentheses is what is important. It is an advertisement for Etteilla's Cahiers, similar to that in the back of the "Fragment sur les hautes sciences", but in the text. It is probably not an advertisement for a new edition of the 1773 book (whose 3rd edition is advertised in your 1785 snippet), because that one did not advertise itself as Egyptian, nor did it have "synopses", abrégés, whatever they might be. It is also probably not the 1797 "abrégé" either, because the word is plural. I find no such synopses with the Cahiers either; but DDD quote from the patent that was issued to authorize Etteilla's special tarot deck, which specifies:
the Book of Thoth, etc., together the figures, the summary, and all pieces and discourses that the author will have printed afterwards to help understand the whole work.
There is the word "summary" here, probably corresponding to "abrégé". But I don't know what it is, or they are. Maybe it is just the supplements, even though they aren't synopses.

As for the word "fourth edition", it seems to me that when any one Cahier was published, Etteilla would have re-issued the previous Cahiers as well, for new readers. Also, the supplements published along with a given Cahier were not always supplements to that volume, but to a preceding one (the supplement to the third is included in the supplement to the fourth). So to understand what was being said, it would be necessary to have the volume referred to. The fourth edition of the Cahiers would be the one with the fourth Cahier, which, together with the supplement to the third cahier. could be bought separately or together with the others (all with their original publication date on the title page) and whatever supplements came with them. However this remains a murky area.

I conclude my transcription and translation:
Avoir cette instructions sans les trente-trois cartes qui vont avec, on ne serais pas plus instruit que d'avoir les cartes sans l'instruction, mais dès que l'on sait, on peut avoir recours à un jeu de piquet, auquel on ajoute une carte blanche, ce qui est facile, puisqu'il ne faut que prendre, dans un autre jeu, un as, et l'effacer avec le doigt mouillé d'un peu de salive ou d'eau.

On sent la nécessité d'une carte blanche lorsqu'on réfléchit que, si un homme brun consultait pour lui les oracles, et qu'il se prit en roi de trèfle, qui désigne un homme brun [start p. 16] il ne pourrait pas découvrir si un homme brun veut lui ètre utile ou nuisable.

Si ce que nous disons semble aussie juste que cela est, il fut partir d'après ce raisonnement, et on avouera que ceux qui n'admettent pas une carte blanche, ne sont que de vrais tireurs de cartes ou, ce qui est le même, des ignorants.

(To have these instructions without the thirty-three cards that go with it [FR: without the cards], one would not be better informed than having the cards without the instructions, but as soon as one is in the know, one can use a pack of piquet cards, to which a blank card is added, which is easy, since you only have to take an ace from another deck and erase it with your finger, wet with a little saliva or water.

One will feel the necessity of a blank card when one thinks that if a dark-haired man consulted the oracles for himself and took the king of clubs, which designates a dark-haired man, he could not discover whether a dark-haired man wanted to be useful or harmful to him.

If what we say seems to be as correct as it was from this reasoning, it will be admitted that those who do not allow a blank card are not real drawers of cards or, which is the same thing, of the ignorant.
It is rather clear in what I have just translated about the blank card that the Petit Etteilla wa not yet available at the time of writing; otherwise the author would have told us about it, and perhaps even given us the price. DDD estimate that it would have been available around 1793. That seems right, or the previous year.

This part of the 1791 document also deals with the question of why there is a blank card. This shows that it is most likely an innovation of Etteilla's, since he denounces those without the blank card as fabrications. But it is the other way around. In an English account of 1730, the practice of assigning a card to the questioner is in evidence. Mary Greer quotes from the play "Jack the Giant Killer" (https://marygreer.wordpress.com/2008/04 ... ver-folly/):
First woman. You. Lord Gormillan, are the King of Clubs; Lord Thunderdale shall be the angry Majesty of Spades; The Diamond Crown Lord Blunderboar shall wear; and King of Hearts Lord Galligantus shall assume.
Greer explains:
The cards were probably laid out in several rows, perhaps a square of 25 as we see in later examples. The significator card shows the location of the person within the situation, while the other court cards represent the other people involved. The cards that fall between the main significator and the significator of another person show what is occurring between them.
Etteilla is against this practice. So naturally for him the ancient Egyptians were against it as well. The problem, he explains, is that whatever card is assigned to the questioner, it may also apply to someone else whom it is important that the questioner know about. To know about such a person--whether he intends harm or good, for example--it is necessary that the questioner himself not be assigned to the card that bears, in combination with other cards, the necessary information. Etteilla's solution--not until 1783 attributed to the wise Egyptians, and then with two cards for men and women--is a special card which always represents the questioner, one called, conveniently enough, "Etteilla" (DDD p. 75).

This result seems to me to indicate that we should not expect to find such a special card in whatever system Etteilla drew his from. Nor do we need to look for systems with reversals. In other words, we need only look for systems using 32 objects of symbolic and/or divinatory value.

The most obvious predecessor for a 32 object system is the piquet deck itself. However then there is the question, where did it get its pre-Etteilla divinatory meanings?

With that, I am ready to turn to the 1797 document, which is the one that DDD speculate may have some relation to West African geomancy.
Last edited by mikeh on 17 Jan 2017, 00:43, edited 1 time in total.

This result seems to me to indicate that we should not expect to find such a special card in whatever system Etteilla drew his from. Nor do we need to look for systems with reversals. In other words, we need only look for systems using 32 objects of symbolic and/or divinatory value.
Abhandlung der Physiognomie, Metoposcopie und Chiromantie
Christian A. Peuschel
1769 - 401 pages
https://books.google.de/books?id=i8g6AA ... &q&f=false

... Peuschel (1769) has also 32 cards, although in his region the 36-cards deck seems to be popular. He says, that one has to remove the "6"s.

D'Alby (1788/1802) used decks 36-card decks and 4 of them for persons (as the Nouvel Eteilla).

M.G.D.R. (1788), a detection of Kwaw, used 36 cards.

(compare ...
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1151&p=18594#p18593
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1151&p=18594#p18594
...)

Casanova's lover 1465 had a 5x5-sheet.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1015&p=15100&hilit=casanova#p15100

Pratesi's cartomancer designed 35 meanings ...
http://trionfi.com/pratesi-cartomancer#start2
CARTOMANCY LIST

RD = L’uomo,
CD = Pensier dell’Uomo,
FC = La Donna,
FB = Pensiere della Donna,
AC = La Casa,
La Stella = Regalo,
AB = Baronate,
AS = Lettera,
AD = Tavola,
Angelo = Sposalizio e Accomodamento,
Carro = Viaggio,
Mondo = Viaggio lungo,
CB = Martello della porta,
Traditore = Tradimento,
Diavolo = Rabbia,
Luna = Notte,
Sole = Giorno,
Bagattino = Uomo maritato,
Matto = Pazzia,
Amore = Amore,
CC = Accomodamento,
10S = Lagrime,
10D = Denari,
FD = Denari,
Forza = Violenza,
FD = Signorina,
QB = P...na,
QC = Donna Maritata,
Morte = Morte,
QD = Verità,
Tempra = Tempo,
RS = Mala lingua,
RC = Un Vecchio,
RB = Un signore non ammogliato,
Il Vecchio = Un vecchio
Coffee rest reading seems to have become popular short before Cartomancy. Somehow there seems to have been also a preference for 35.
Coffee reading shall have developed in Florence. Minchiate was very popular then and has 35 numbered trumps.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=847&hilit=coffee

I made a short study about North African geomancy recently. I seems, that at least in one technique they used 2 figures (one for the way to live, another for the way to death). That would be 16 (or one out of 16) plus 16 (again one out of 16), totally 16x16 possibilities (= 256). 16+16 = 32.

Mary Greer's detection, 32 cards, 1794
http://www.britishmuseum.org/research/c ... rue&page=1

Brunner (1798) has 36 meanings for 36 cards
books.google.de/books?id=ZL85AAAAcAAJ&pg=PA142

Germany's oldest report (1763), it's talked of 36 cards
https://books.google.de/books?id=L9lDAA ... en&f=false

Hooper's conversation cards (56 cards)
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=879

Lenthall divination
http://www.wopc.co.uk/uk/margary/lenthall

Spiel der Hoffnung, 1798, 36 cards, but one card is "outside"
Huck