Re: Germini - Florentine-French Trionfi 1506

mikeh wrote:I don't know about the first line. I'll have to ask Andrea. It does look like there is a word missing. Thanks.
The sonnet, with modern Italian translation, is published here:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=wL9 ... &q&f=false

(translating assivoli as tanta becchi: 'many goats'? ? I was thinking 'horned owls' as in the Florentine poet Cecchi's play L'Assivolo' The Horned Owl- similar allocco (owl/fool) -- the horns of the owl = the horns of a cuckolded husband - in Cecchi's play he is cuckolded several times and so is said to have 'horns three time high'. Cecchi also uses 'chiu' as a sound alike syllable for the hoot of the owl -- the would be lover Ambrogio 'hoots' three times like an owl as a password 'chiu chiu chiu'.)

[[ed. to add: perhaps the translation here is becchi as in 'beaks' (as in ...ai bastardi, a' becchi, a' minchioni, agl'ignoranti, ai pazzi... the bastards, the beaks, the idiots, the ignorant, the insane.. ?

...reading Becchi as goats instead of beaks is an easy mistake to make, the term 'becchi' in Dante's stanza for example:

A Paduan I, ‘mid Florentines am here,
And oftentimes they thunder in my ear :
‘Let him arrive -- the mighty cavalier--
Who with three beaks a satchel shall disclose.”

was in some texts mistranslated as 'three goats'.]]

Re: Alione, this online theses (in Italian) on Farce, novel, and performing arts’ “market” between Italy and France during the early Renaissance. might be of interest, it discusses Alione quite a lot:

http://1.static.e-corpus.org/download/n ... iThese.pdf

I was quite surprised to read in it that in the poem 'Chambrière à louer à tout faire* by Christophe de Bordeaux, the witch/maid claims not only to be able to call on spirits but also reads tarot cards (La strega-cameriera è inoltre capace di leggere i tarocchi, vorrà esser trattata come una signora ed in cambio ruberà il lardo e la cera delle candele per fare buon profitto e giusta economia domestica; è inoltre specializzata in pomate per ringiovanire e nel campo esoterico è preparata a «Conjurer les esprits | Qui courent de nuict par la rue»).

I knew that the word 'tarots' was used by Bordeaux (the use is listed in some list of early references and varying spellings) - but I didn't know it was by a witch and one who claimed to read them (it seemed an early reference to divination with tarot to me that I was surprised to have missed). Checking out the poem though, while she does claim to be able to call on spirits, it is not clear to me that she claims to read tarot, but rather that she is willing/able to play the game (among others) :

...Voir monsieur, pour jouer et rire
Après soupper, et se déduire,
J'ay cartes , tarots et des prests
De toutes sortes, propres (et) nets,
Pour jouer au gay, à la prime...
Last edited by SteveM on 05 Nov 2015, 17:29, edited 3 times in total.

SteveM wrote:
(translating assivoli as tanta becchi: 'many goats'? ? I was thinking 'horned owls' as in the Florentine poet Cecchi's play L'Assivolo' The Horned Owl- similar allocco (owl/fool) -- the horns of the owl = the horns of a cuckolded husband - in Cecchi's play he is cuckolded several times and so is said to have 'horns three time high'. Cecchi also uses 'chiu' as a sound alike syllable for the hoot of the owl -- the would be lover Ambrogio 'hoots' three times like an owl as a password 'chiu chiu chiu'.)
ps: Cecchi's play 'The Horned Owl' and his collection of 64 'Toscan Proverbs' are online here:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=mMt ... &q&f=false

SteveM wrote:
Huck wrote: "Tarlucch" (Stephen noted it) is mentioned in this dictionary, but it seems to mean something else (?).
Tarlucch Tarocco - someone who is slovenly and vulgar/rude in dress and manner?
Tarluccon - pataccone - a sloppy, messy person, a slob, a tramp, also a fake object, junk, rubbish.
Tarocch - as for Tarlucch.

According to the dictionary I linked to before 'Vess on Tarlucch' = to be a blockead, a fool. Related it is believed to the Spanish taruga, which nowadays means a dumbwit, idiot, fool, but original a piece of wood - the figurative sense of taruga in Spain appears to be fairly modern, I cannot find any reference to a meaning of fool in any older dictionaries.

The spanish etymological dictionary I referenced before links its origins as celt/gaul.

There is also the Piedmontese expression = to be a 'taroc' which means to be a fool.
According to the wiki entry on Spanish words of pre-Roman (celtic) origin:

taladro, from *taratron; akin to Welsh taradr "drill", Irish tarachair, Cornish tarder, Breton tarar
tarugo, from *tarūcon; akin to Scottish tarag, tarrag "nail, stud"

The Lombard region was also inhabited by Celts and the Milanese dialect also retains words of the pre-Roman period:

"In 391 BC Celts "who had their homes beyond the Alps streamed through the passes in great strength and seized the territory that lay between the Apennine mountains and the Alps" according to Diodorus Siculus. The Po Valley and the rest of northern Italy (known to the Romans as Cisalpine Gaul) was inhabited by Celtic-speakers who founded cities such as Milan."

SteveM wrote,
E dicon gniffignèr, e gniffignarri*
le ravizie, e' racimol pinchieruoli,
da far, non che arrabbiare i cani, i carri.

I remember that one from some time ago, I think Huck mentioned the sonnet because of Pulci's use of Minchi----
in the following stanza:

Milan puo far di molti ravibuoli;
tal ch’i perdono a que’ miei minchiattarri,
se non dicessin chiu come assivoli.

Which I think means something along the lines of:

Milan can make so make so many kinds of ravioli
for this I forgive them, my minchiattarri,
if they did not say chiu like assivoli. (??? assivoli could be owls/fools? similar in meaning lit. & fig. to allocco - owl/fool)

But I am not too sure...
and

ps: Cecchi's play 'The Horned Owl' and his collection of 64 'Toscan Proverbs' are online here:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=mMt ... &q&f=false
Andrea said "horned owl". So at http://www.associazioneletarot.it/page. ... 38&lng=ENG
Milan can make a lot of ravioli,
and for this I could forgive these minchiattarri [Philologist’s comment: players of the game of tarot, but also in a malicious sense]
if they didn’t say "chiù" like horned owls [reference to the cadence of Milanese speech]
I asked Andrea about a missing word in the other stanza, and "carrots"; he says that there are several versions of the poem.

Thanks for the link to the thesis. I'll take a look. Your Celtic hypothesis for "tarocch" is interesting and as far as I can tell compatible with the facts. So is a Latin, Greek, or Arabic derivation, languages which influenced speech in those same areas. Yours has the virtue of explaining where the word appears first: in areas where the Celts lived. However the Celts lived many places, including those where predecessor forms of the word is not traceable. Perhaps the explanation is that it arises where all these influences meet, the area in which the three circles intersect (Celtic, Arabic, and Latin/Greek). But I don't know how these things work.

Franco clarified a few things about my translation of his essay, and I have finally gotten around to inserting these corrections and additions to the posts affected. There are two of them. Regarding viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1074&p=16466#p16466, he clarified what a "Fondo" was, and also "Squittini" and, in the context of the inventory records, "Tratti". A Fondo is an archive section. Squittini are election sessions, that is, gatherings in which representatives are chosen for various offices. And Tratti are Extractions, where candidates are selected by lot from bags where the names eligible citizens have been put.

Then in regard to viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1074&p=16466#p16469 the changes have to do with the second inventory, the interesting one. Here again is the Italian, followed by the translation improved by Franco's corrections.
Giovanbattista di Francesco Monaldi fu gravato questo di vi dezembre 1506 [...]
36 paia di germini e tr(i)onfi
1 paio di tr(i)onfi alla franc(i)osa non finiti
117 paia di charte
2 mazi di fogli bianchi
40 chanoni dipinti
11 libri tra grandi e piccoli
1 paio di manicha nera
1 beretta nera
1 chonellino bianco di suantone da fanciullo
I faldi?
1 maza finita
1 paio di vanghonle? sanza<manicho>maza
10 pezi di pronte di pionbo
26 forme tra grandi e piccole da germini
più chartoni
5 chasette tra grandi e pichole, e 1 chiave

(Giovanbattista Francesco Monaldi was disencumbered of this on 6 December of 1506 [...]
36 packs [paia] of germini and tr(i)umphs [tr(i)onfi]
1 pack [piao] of Frenc(h) tr(i)umphs [tr(i)onfi franc(i)osa, meaning "in the French style" but made locally] not finished
117 packs [paia] of cards
2 bunches [mazzi] of white sheets [fogli]
40 painted altar cards [chanoni]
11 books between large and small
1 pair [paio] of black sleeves [manicha]
1 black cap
1 skirt [chonellino], child's white suantone [some type of textile]
1 Faldi? [Franco suggests falde, meaning "brims", as in the brim of a hat]
1 finished bunch [maza]
1 pair [paio] of vanghonle [a tool: "kicker"?--] without <manicho>maza [mallet handles?]
10 pezi [pieces] of lead stamps [pronti=impronte]
26 templates [forme] between large and small of germini
more cartons [chartoni]
5 boxes [chasette] between large and small, and 1 key)
Fanco's explanations of the inventory items remain the same, except in one case. In the article, he said that chanoni were canoni, meaning spools, from cano, cane. Actually, they are cartagloria, altar cards (of which Wikipedia gives a long explanation, if you want to know more). He says that Thierry Depaulis alerted him to this error.

One other thing about Franco's Germini article, a clarification rather then correction. In the post viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1074&p=16466#p16459, there is the sentence:
In future sarà possibile anticipare ancora le testimonianze fiorentine (ed eventualmente da altre citta), ma non è plausibile che l'introduzione dei trionfi sia avvenuta molti anni prima; perciò, ancora piu che ricostruire quanto avvenne poco prima del 1440, sembra necessario definire meglio quanto avvenne dopo, con la comparsa di più varianti di quei mazzi di carte e dei giochi relativi, con anche notevoli differenze fra le varie città e regioni italiane.
which I translated as:
In the future it is possible also to anticipate Florentine testimonies (and possibly from other cities), but it is implausible that the introduction of triumphs occurred many years before; therefore, even more than to reconstruct what happened just before 1440, it seems necessary to define better what happened later, with the appearance of several variants of those packs of cards and related games, also with significant differences between the various Italian cities and regions.
I asked Franco about this statement that it is implausible that the tarot deck was introduced "many years before" 1440. Did it exclude, for example, the invention of the tarot deck in Milan in the later 1420's, as a variation on the Marziano/Michelino type?

He answered:
Quanti anni sono many years? Anche se si scende fino al 1420 si potrebbe considerare che non sono molti anni, perché le carte erano usate largamente almeno dal 1377. Però riconosco la validità del possibile collegamento coi trionfi di Marziano. Sono stato io a portarli all’attenzione degli esperti. Ho riflettuto per anni su questo, ma non ho ancora capito se quel mazzo milanese fu davvero il membro di una serie intera o se fu solo un caso del tutto isolato. Si può forse dire per ora che "it is implausible that the introduction of triumphs occurred many years before, at least in Florence". Volendo sostenere che il mazzo di Marziano non sia stato del tutto isolato e che l’idea di carte superiori fosse già in circolazione, si può rimettere in gioco Firenze, perché Marziano arrivò a Milano dopo aver terminato i suoi studi universitari fino alla laurea proprio a Firenze.

(How many years are "many years"? Even if you go as far down as 1420 it could not be considered many years, because cards were widely used since at least 1377. But I recognize the validity of the possible link with the triumphs of Marziano. It was I who brought them to the attention of the experts. I've been thinking about this for years, but I have not yet figured out if that Milanese deck was really a member of a whole series or if it was just a completely isolated case. It can be said for now that "It is implausible that the introduction of triumphs occurred many years before, at least in Florence." If you want to maintain that the deck of Marziano was not totally isolated and that the idea of superior cards was already in circulation, you can throw in Florence, because Marziano arrived in Milan after completing his university studies after his graduation precisely in Florence.
Besides the clarification, with which I cannot quarrel, I learned something more, about Marziano before Milan.

mikeh wrote: which I translated as:

[Franco translated]
(How many years are "many years"? Even if you go as far down as 1420 it could not be considered many years, because cards were widely used since at least 1377. But I recognize the validity of the possible link with the triumphs of Marziano. It was I who brought them to the attention of the experts. I've been thinking about this for years, but I have not yet figured out if that Milanese deck was really a member of a whole series or if it was just a completely isolated case. It can be said for now that "It is implausible that the introduction of triumphs occurred many years before, at least in Florence." If you want to maintain that the deck of Marziano was not totally isolated and that the idea of superior cards was already in circulation, you can throw in Florence, because Marziano arrived in Milan after completing his university studies after his graduation precisely in Florence.
We've different objects to observe:

1. Usual decks, which followed the tradition to have 4 suits and standard court cards.

2. Not usual decks, which varied the suits (not standard patterns, but for instance birds).
3. Not usual decks, which varied the courts (not king-ober-unter).
4. Not usual decks, which varied the number of suits (for instance 5 x13).
5. Not usual decks, which varied the number of court cards (not 3, but 4, 5, 6 or other constructs).

6. Not usual decks, which were varied to combinations of the changes in the points 2, 3, 4, 5 (above) (for instance the Michelino deck: (2) birds, (3) no ober, no unter, but gods, (5) number of court cards.

7. Not usual decks, which varied from the usual deck type and got a specific name for that (for instance "Trionfi" or "Imperatori" or "Chorone" or "Minchiate")

For most of our methods of research we depend on the condition, that we can only follow identified expressions for cards and their variations. So we have "naibi" as a global expression and "Trionfi" as a specific family (which might have been used for decks with different structures, so 5x14, or 5x16 or other structures like 4x14+22 for Tarot).

There are a lot of results for "Trionfi", and it looks from the researches, as if the use of the word in playing card context started in 1440 or short before. But this isn't really an information about the nature of the decks before 1440. Decks of this type might have existed, but were possibly addressed only as naibi without specification in documents. Or we have simply the case of not detected documents. The number of created documents increased with the time and the number of remaining documents decrease, if you go back in time, cause documents had more chances to disappear. This creates a dramatic bottleneck.
How much information is still extant from the perspective of early 21st century for 14th century and how much is still extant for 15th century? Is the relation close to 10% versus 90% or close to 1% versus 99% ? Or even worse for 14th century? I guess, nobody can really calculate this .... :-)

In the context of the Hofämterspiel (1455, 48 cards) we have a deck with clear relations to the profession deck mentioned by Johannes of Rheinfelden (1377, 60 cards). We don't have any other reference to this deck type in the whole 15th century and also not in 14th (quite in contrast to the Trionfi decks).
Nearly 80 years are easily bridged by the given facts, just created by the curious situation in playing card research, that most of the information, that we have about early deck structures comes from the hand of John of Rheinfelden.

Likely the state of early documents would be much better, if there wouldn't have been a big plague in 1350.

Florence has the most splendid situation for old documents, possibly for all Italy and possibly worldwide. And a lot of scholars interested to study these details. And it is a great luck for playing card research, that we have a Franco Pratesi just at this location.

Added:

The Michelino-deck is (probably cause of 4x15) a child of the 60-card-deck mentioned by Johannes (also 5x14). The Cary-Yale (six court cards and balanced between female and male characters) is likely also a child of the mentioned Johannes deck.
The experience of Johannes in Freiburg im Breisgau in 1377 likely depended (my opinion) on the import of Bohemian cards during the last both emperor journeys (Charles IV) to Aachen (1376) and to Paris (1377). The Hofämterspiel was (very likely) produced for the Bohemian king Ladislaus posthumus.

The Bohemian court of king Wenzel had a direct contact to the Milanese court, when Giangaleazzo bought the duke title from Wenzel in 1395, an important political matter, which contributed strongly to the condition, that Wenzel lost the throne as German king in 1400.

Filippo Maria Visconti (responsible for Michelino deck and Cary-Yale and its six courts) was 3 years old in 1395 and Decembrio wrote, that Filippo knew playing cards since early youth. It's a plausible assumption, that Filippo Maria got some Bohemian playing cards with more courts than usual and with 60 cards (4x15).

There is the Hübsch report from 1850, that playing cards were in Bohemia since 1340 and a first cardmaker from Nuremberg (Jonathan Kreysel) is mentioned for 1354. Hübsch's information isn't confirmed, but this doesn't mean, that it is wrong.

The first court, from which it is known by document (1379-83), that playing cards were used, was that of Wenceslaus of Brabant, half-brother of emperor Charles IV. Charles IV had visited his brother during the journeys of 1376 and 1377.

Another court deck is mentioned in Mantova 1387. It was produced with the involvement of various artists (comparable to the Michelino deck), so it was definitely rather expansive. Mantova is (as a North Italian city) close to Bohemia (close to most frequented trade route) and it had often German relations.
Nothing is known about the structure of the deck.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=762

The city of Prague took under the reign of Charles IV a very rapid development. The city doubled its size and population number. The city was finally full of artists. Prague had a first Golden Era. The follower Wenzel wasn't wise enough to proceed and didn't fulfill the expectations. He lost the throne as German king (1400) and with the war of the Hussites (after 1419) Prague's development declined. A lot of Charles' IV work was destroyed.

Bohemia and Milan both had the great luck, that the first wave of the plague (1348-1350) didn't reach their region. As a consequence of this the Visconti brothers expanded in Milan and Charles IV as emperor had very good conditions. Also Giangaleazzo as the heir of Milan had a sort of Golden Era.
A finally good relation between Bohemia and Milan under Giangaleazzo had some logic, but curiously the connection meant for both sides a great risk, Wenzel lost the throne (1400) and Giangaleazzo his life (1403), Wenzel cause the reaction of other German nobility families and Giangaleazzo possibly by Florentine poison.

From the perspective of playing card research and its few data about "very worthwhile decks" we have a line between Charles IV (60-card deck) - Wencelas of Brabant - Wenzel - Giangaleazzo - Filippo Maria (Michelino deck + Cary-Yale) - Ladislaus posthumus (Hofämterspiel) and between them the decks Mantova 1387 and Ferrara 1423 (40 ducats deck).
Huck
http://trionfi.com

Franco wrote a response to Huck's last post. Franco's piece is at http://www.naibi.net/A/501-COMTRIO-Z.pdf, dated 11 January 2016. I have done a draft of a translation. The tricky part is that part of his presentation is in the form of a table (of types of decks). Can THF handle tables? It seems to me I have to construct a similar table in Word, print it, scan it, and upload the picture. That will strain my computer expertise to the max.

mikeh wrote:Franco wrote a response to Huck's last post. Franco's piece is at http://www.naibi.net/A/501-COMTRIO-Z.pdf, dated 11 January 2016. I have done a draft of a translation. The tricky part is that part of his presentation is in the form of a table (of types of decks). Can THF handle tables? It seems to me I have to construct a similar table in Word, print it, scan it, and upload the picture. That will strain my computer expertise to the max.
You can arrange it in a Word-file, and make a snapshot of it and you get a picture. The picture you can present here.
Do you know, how to do a snapshot?
(You spare the printing then)

If you don't have a snapshot-program, then that's a mistake. The very small programs are very practical. There should be a free snapshot program available.
Huck
http://trionfi.com

Here is Franco's essay (http://www.naibi.net/A/501-COMTRIO-Z.pdf, 11 Jan. 2016), in my attempted translation. I admit that my scan of a print-out for the table doesn't look great; but it's readable.

Other comments about the triumphs

1. Introduction

The idea for this brief reflection goes back to a proposal of classification suggested recently on the forum tarothistory. Manyof the discussions that have been debated in that forum resemble conversations among experts. In fact, gone are the days of our ancestors, when we would pontificate that Verba volant, scripta manent [Words fly, writing remains]. These days we have a new situation, with an intermediate stage, such that we should perhaps change the Latin adage by inserting a question mark: scripta manet? Our writings on web pages in fact appear intermediate between verba and scripta, meaning that formally they should be considered scripta, but in substance are presented rather as verba. It may be that something remains the same.

2. Classification

Among the many discussions on the topic, recurrent and repetitive (even for a partial interest in the subject by the professionals of fortune telling), I fixed my attention on a short message posted by Huck on the forum a month ago 1; I put forth again below the element of interest.
We’ve different objects to observe:
1. Usual decks, which followed the tradition to have 4 suits and standard court cards.
2. Not usual decks, which varied the suits (not standard patterns, but for instance birds).
3. Not usual decks, which varied the courts (not king-ober-unter).
4. Not usual decks, which varied the number of suits (for instance 5 x13).
5. Not usual decks, which varied the number of court cards (not 3, but 4, 5, 6 or other constructs).
6. Not usual decks, which were varied to combinations of the changes in the points 2, 3, 4, 5 (above) (for instance the Michelino deck: (2) birds, (3) no ober, no unter, but gods, (5) number of court cards.
7. Not usual decks, which varied from the usual deck type and got a specific name for that (for instance "Trionfi" or "Imperatori" or "Chorone" or "Minchiate").

As for me, I'd rather define differently the scheme of the decks of cards in question. It is true that we have different objects of observation, or in any case of imagination, but they can be divided into two groups of different structure, cards and triumphs, adopting from the outset a subdivision which was then applied for centuries also in the production of playing cards, when, for simplicity, they are often distinguished into "short" and "long"; I indicate here cards with C and triumphs with T.

We immediately encounter a significant complication as soon as they are considered besides types of cards also as types of games in which they are used. Specifically, there must be consider in the classification also some intermediate or mixed cases, because, in addition to the type of card, the type of game is hardly negligible: it is in fact the case that games of the triumphs family can be played even with the common deck, once you establish how to choose and use the trumps. I think then that we can examine an attempt at a different classification, presented in the table below, which will in turn be easily improved later. Obviously, the new subgroup C / T is born,once we consider the use of the cards; neglecting the use, the subgroup disappears immediately.

The main problems are in the first place to better understand the difference between group C and group T, and then to reconstruct as accurately as possible when and how the transition from C to T occurs; particular attention should reasonably be paid to the link between C3B and T2 [translator's note: see table below]. There was in fact very likely, and also very quickly, at least a partial change from figure cards to superior or triumphal cards and these latter could somehow lose the connection with the suits of origin.

The first known example for the whole family of triumphs is the deck of Marziano, in which the top 16 cards added to the deck may be considered, unusually, both as four groups that continue further the cards of the four suits (case C3B T2), and as a new set of sixteen cards, countable precisely from 1 to 16, which becomes independent of the other cards, and thus turns into case T3. Obviously type T3 may in turn be subdivided into many particular cases, in

correspondence with the many types of tarocchi that have been used in different times and places.

A deck of the type indicated, with 16 added cards, may even belong to the type T1, if only it contained the number, high but not impossible, of 80 cards. Thinking in these terms, however, it would seem more reasonable that a triumphal series of 12 cards would be added to a standard deck of cards 4x12. Even in that case, like in the deck of Marziano, the 12 additional cards with superior trick-taking powers [poteri di presa] could, being independent of the four suits, be added in groups of three to each of them.

There also remains to be examined the next case, in which the ordinary deck is reduced to a deck of 32 cards, as has existed

variously in many times and places, and the eight cards could be added or be independent or be inserted in pairs into the four suits. The deck of "eight emperors" could be of this type.

Of course, any deck of type T1 would be compatible also with different numbers of cards added, whether even [pari] not multiples of 4, or odd, with the only condition that the number of cards of the fifth suit be equal to that of the other four. On the other hand, in any deck of type T3 there do not exist in principle limits on the length of the series of added cards, except those to be met for a satisfactory practice of the game; an example of the lower limit with the triumphal series reduced to a single card seems to be that of the deck described by Ross Caldwell with a single Emperor.

3. Comment on the order of trumps

Any card game of the triumphs family requires the definition of some ranking of the cards so that no discussions arise on the winner of the tricks. Something similar occurs in various trick-taking games, as in those of the family of tressette, or when playing bridge no-trump. Pertaining to the triumphs [trionfi], however, we need a little more, represented by the trumps [le briscole].

In the history of card games the issue of determining the trumps and their order is resolved in the most different ways, whether by assigning the function of trump [briscola] to certain cards in the deck, or to an entire suit, or - and this is the case of the most interest connected with all the tarocchi - adding special cards with precisely the purpose of trumps. The main problem of the added trump suit is that only in a few cases do the related cards show their order number displayed on the card itself. Often the order is only suggested by the figure on the card. The main criterion used seems to have been exactly that of the triumphs: in this context, the triumphs are to be understood just as those of Petrarch, that is, a triumph engaged in triumphing over the preceding and then in turn being outdone by the next triumph.

The triumphal series used in the cards of the game is more or less long depending on the time and place in which it was adopted, but is however still significantly longer than that of the Petrarchan "original", which has created not a few problems for card players of different regions, so as not to put in question the order in tricks, when the relevant numbers of the order were not printed directly on those cards

4. Conclusion

A classification of the cards of the triumphs almost inevitably involves not only the type of cards but also their use. In particular, a significant complication arises from the rules of the game, because games of the triumph type could be made – one could say by definition - not only with any deck of cards equipped with superior cards functioning as trumps, but also with any ordinary deck, once the system to determine the trumps and their order has been agreed upon.