Tomaso Garzoni / Joseph Hall / Tasso

Part 1: Introduction and mainly Joseph Hall

Andrea Vitali recently published ...

L’HOSPIDALE DE’ PAZZI INCURABILI
di Tomaso Garzoni da Bagnacavallo

and

MUNDUS ALTER ET IDEM
di Joseph Hall

Both articles are related, as Joseph Hall (published 1605) reacted on the Hospidale of Tomaso Garzoni (1586). You find Andrea's articles in English and Italian at
http://www.letarot.it/page.aspx?id=5&lng=ENG
the 3rd and 4th position in the menu to the left.

Both texts contain the word Tarocchi and both use the topic in an rather interesting manner. Garzoni presents a sort of catalog of mental sickness ... the "Taroccho game" takes a position there in Discorso 13, but seems - according my analyzes (which really are handicapped, cause my Italian is only rudimentary) - to carry the value of a meta-meaning, which - in contrast to the circumstance, that it isn't very often used in the text - surpasses the character of a "small role", as the whole catalog seems to be a sort of ironical Tarocchi, a system with possibly 29, 30 of 32 elements, formed by a rather creative gods system, somehow near to the Michelino deck with 16 gods or the 28-gods-system used in the festival of 1475 at the wedding of Camilla Aragon and Costanzo Sforza.

But ... first to Joseph Hall

Joseph Hall

Joseph Hall, which I'll take here in shorter terms ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Hall_%28bishop%29

in
Mundus Alter et Idem (first published 1605)
http://books.google.com/books?id=9XJCAA ... &q&f=false
p. 145 (Liber IV; Cap. V; title: "Moroniae Descr.: Orgilia; alter Ducatus Asperae Moraniae"
(version of 1607)
... published with it a satirical work. Hall had in 1605 an age of 31 years and was married just 2 years ... he had made variously satiric works in his youth, he stopped with it, when he minister of the church England. Later he became bishop.

The passage ...
[/quote]

... uses "Tarocchiu" and contains at the right a reference to Garzoni (related to the use of Tarocchiu).

The complete text of the chapter from a later edition:

The content table of the version of 1607:

Hall uses land-maps to show his fantasy country, which are not readable in the Google edition of the text 1607. In a later edition I found 3 maps, but I couldn't identify the capital Tarocchiu ... here is one of them to give an impression ...

.. according which Moroniae is somehow in the Antartica, at least south of Africa and America.

Hall, who wrote under the name Mercurius Britannicus, stands in a natural tradition with Plato (Utopian republic), Marco Polo (China), Christopher Columbus (America), Thomas Morus (Utopia), Rabelais (Gargantua, mentioned Taraux), Boccanini (the Parnussus state, see recently ...
http://tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=161896
... used Trionfetto ), Robinson Crusoe (had an island), Jonathan Swift (Lilliput and a Macroput called "Brobdingnag"), James Cook (Australia), Neil Armstrong (Moon) and the Hubble (for the rest of it).

Mercurius Britannicus (alias Joseph Hall) published this year 1605, in the same year 1605 Boccanini is said to have started his 1612 published work of the "I raggvagli di Parnasso", from which one chapter Nr. 77 was merged with the small work Fama Fraternitatis in 1614 with rather surprising success. The Fama Fraternitatis had been written according some German researches by the rather young Johann Valentin Andreae possibly 1602-03, but more likely 1605-7.

1605 ?????

I'm puzzled, what social evolution might have triggered the coincidence of interests to produce such fantastic texts if this year 1605. The invention of the telescope ...
The earliest evidence of working telescopes were the refracting telescopes that appeared in the Netherlands in 1608. Their development is credited to three individuals: Hans Lippershey and Zacharias Janssen, who were spectacle makers in Middelburg, and Jacob Metius of Alkmaar.[4] Galileo greatly improved upon these designs the following year.

... happened only short later, so it can't be. But ...

Tycho Brahe moved to Prague (court of Emperor Rudolph II) in 1599, but died in 1601. Kepler (also in Prague) proceeded this work and had an important publication in 1604. Then in October 1604 ...
Supernova 1604, also known as Kepler's Supernova, Kepler's Nova or Kepler's Star, was a supernova that occurred in the Milky Way, in the constellation Ophiuchus. As of April 2011, it is the last supernova to have been unquestionably observed in our own galaxy, occurring no farther than 6 kiloparsecs or about 20,000 light-years from Earth. Visible to the naked eye, it was brighter at its peak than any other star in the night sky, and all the planets (other than Venus), with apparent magnitude −2.5. It was visible during the day for over three weeks.
The supernova was first observed in northern Italy on October 9, 1604. Johannes Kepler began observing it on October 17. It was subsequently named after him because of his book on the subject entitled De Stella nova in pede Serpentarii ("On the new star in Ophiuchus's foot", Prague 1606).

It was the second supernova to be observed in a generation (after SN 1572 seen by Tycho Brahe in Cassiopeia). No further supernovae have since been observed with certainty in the Milky Way, though many others outside our galaxy have been seen.
Inside a world, which still gave a lot on astrology and its prognostic, this might have meant something rather important.
Especially interested was ...
The long reigning emperor Rudolph II (reigned 36 years 1576-1612) engaged for alchemy and also astronomy. Although generally already based on difficult emotional conditions, his behavior is considered "relative normal" till 1593, then he started to react stressed by the war against the Turks from 1593-1606, and after this he became "totally hopeless mad" from 1606-12.
The biographical dates show:

Grand-Grand-mother: Joanna of Castile, also called Johanna the Crazy ... lived in desperate state from c. 1509 - 1555 and disturbed the life of her son emperor Charles V. with a long dark shadow.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joanna_of_Castile

Mother: Maria of Austria (21 June 1528 – 26 February 1603), daughter of Charles
On the 13th September 1548, aged twenty, she married her first cousin Archduke Maximilian. The couple first stayed at the Spanish court and had sixteen children during the course of a twenty-eight-year marriage.

While her father was occupied with German affairs, Maria and Maximilian acted as regents of Spain from 1548 to 1550. In 1552, the couple moved to live at the court of Maximilian's father in Vienna. During the absence of her brother, King Philip II, Maria was again installed as regent of Spain from 1558 to 1561 and returned to Madrid during that time.

After her return to Germany, her husband gradually succeeded his father Ferdinand I as ruler of Germany, Bohemia and Hungary, which he ruled from 1564 to his death in 1576. Maria was a devout Catholic and frequently disagreed with her religious ambiguous husband. Maria of Spain had great influence over her sons, the future emperors Rudolf and Matthias.

Maria returned to Spain in 1582, commenting that she was very happy to live in "a country without heretics". She settled in the Convent of Las Descalzas Reales in Madrid, where she lived until her death in 1603.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maria_of_A ... an_Empress
Though she lived in far distance in Spain since 1582, she might have indirectly stabilized the health of her eldest son Rudolf till 1603.

RUDOLF II, Holy Roman Emperor (1576-1611), King of Bohemia (1576-1611), King of Hungary (1576-1608) -cr 25.9.1572, *Wien 18.7.1552, +Prague 20.1.1612, bur Prague; he had the following illegitimate kids:

E1. Karl, +murdered
E2. [by Katharina Strada] Julius, Mgve of Austria, *1586, +murdered 25.6.1609
E3. Dorothea, a nun in Wien 1628, *1611, +?
E4. Anna Dorothea von Österreich, a nun, *1580, +1624
E5. [by Euphemia von Rosenthal] Matthias, +Wien IX.1626; m.NN, a Sicilian lady
E6. [by Euphemia von Rosenthal] Charlotte, Mgvine of Austria, +Malines 12.1.1662; m.10.5.1608 Marquis François Thomas d'Oiselet (+5.1.1629)
Rudolph II. didn't marry. It had been projected, that he should marry Isabella, a daughter of Philipp II of Spain, but Rudolph didn't agree in the conditions of Philipp Ii, who demanded an increasing Spanish influence in Italy. In 1599, after Philipp II had died 1598, Isabella was meanwhile 33 years old and married Albert, a younger brother of Rudolf II, and both reigned in Spain.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infanta_Is ... a_of_Spain

Rudolf had then meanwhile a few illegitimate children (not all are known), from which one, Karl, is given as murdered (but I don't find any story about it in the moment), and another, Julius Caesar (* 1586), is given as the one most loved by Rudolf (Julius is said to have been the oldest of c. 6 children of Katharina Stradová and also murdeerred (which seems wrong). Anyway, the things went rather bad with Julius ...

The story is told here ..
http://www.castle.ckrumlov.cz/docs/de/z ... dojuda.xml
.. in German ... actually I had trouble to find any English note about the story, possibly due to the condition, that Habsburg might have arranged a lot in the past to have it outside of the public attention. Julius murdered a female lover and cut her to pieces.
This better informed research ...
http://books.google.com/books?id=4UHmd5 ... da&f=false
... knows the detail, that Katherina Strada was 1592 just 13 years old (and so couldn't have been the mother of Julius Caesar (who was an unknown baronessa), when she turned to become the long-time-lover of Rudolf.

Generally one might conclude, that the mental instability of Rudolf "around 1606") had a lot to do with the mental instability of his son around the same time.

The "mad emperor" 1606-12 (abdicated in 1611) was followed a generally mad Germany from 1618-48, which reduced the population to 2/3rd of it ... as a general reason is considered some destabilization, which happened cause the "mad emperor". Parallel to this we had all these "mad" and cruel witch processes and their victims.

Possibly this explains a little bit the increasing madness in 1605.

Back to Joseph Hall

Back to Joseph Hall and his work. Tarocchiu is the capital of the country of the duke of Courroux. Courroux (French) seems to be an expression for " Forte colère" and is associated to "colère, emportement, fureur, irritation".
http://www.linternaute.com/dictionnaire ... /courroux/
And so is the behavior of the people there, as described by Hall. Andrea Vitali gives a translation of at least a part of the text.

http://www.letarot.it/page.aspx?id=152&lng=ENG

Andrea gives this analysis:
By what is written it results evident that Jospeh Hall calling Tarochium the ducal Centre of Orgilia loaned the meaning of “crazy of tarot” that Garzoni in his Discourse XIII of The Hospital of Incurable Madmen had given to those people who go “taroccando bestially with their brain”, that means those who, playing with their own brain as with tarot cards, suddenly burst into flames because of anger.

The passage by Hall has besides a precise comparison in the real life of players, who everyday went in tavern with weapons and who often quarrelled among them until frequent killings, one of the many motives for which gambling was condemned by the Church.

Perhaps it's of interest, that Hall just in 1605 had a journey to the continent ...
In 1605, Hall travelled abroad for the first time when he accompanied Sir Edmund Bacon on an embassy to Spa, with the special aim, he says, of acquainting himself with the state and practice of the Romish Church. At Brussels, he disputed at the Jesuit college on the authentic character of modern miracles, until his patron at length asked him to stop.
... recorded in the wikipedia biography. No other greater journey of him is mentioned. Some location names in the text sound, as if he had been also in Germany. Possibly the whole text is his private ironic amusement about this journey and the people, that he met. Well, perhaps he met German people and other in Spa with enough time to study, that people elsewhere are a little bit different than those in England.

I found this review, which seems to have its origin in ...
"Another World and Yet the Same: Bishop Joseph Hall's "Mundus Alter et Idem" (Yale studies in English)
Obviously, as the translator and editor of this book I am prejudiced in its favor, but I do think it's a book that more people should know about. Written in Latin in 1605, it attempts to show that travel may not lead one to more wonderful lands; in fact, many of the lands one visits may actually be repulsive places. Mercurius Britannicus, the narrator of this book, travels to four very repulsive lands, including a land of gluttons and drunkards, a land of fools, and a land of thieves and mountebanks. In each place he visits, there are recognizable parallels to places rather close to home, places Europeans would know rather well. For example, in the first land he visits, the ruler is chosen by weight and the circumference of his stomach. Should he at any time lose weight, he is immediately deposed, and the crown handed to the next most corpulent leader. Americans, who have been subjected to senators, governors, and presidents who have little to recommend them, should see this hyperbole as applicable to our own government. (And the parallels to Germany's Oktoberfest are obviously intentional.) Written some 89 years after More's Utopia, it is the first dystopia--a genre that has led to such wonderful modern works as Brave New World and 1984. Generally available only in libraries (only 800 copies were printed), it's worth reading if you can find it.
http://www.amazon.com/Another-World-Yet ... 0300026137

Becoming curious about this Hall dispute in Brussels, I got the result, that the opponent had been a Father Cosperus and I indeed found then a longer passage, which referred to the event:
http://books.google.com/books?id=VzZVAA ... &q&f=false

Considering then, that it might well be, that Tarot games had reached in 1605 the catholic parts of Belgium and also, that "Courroux" is a French word (there are parts in Belgium in which French is the general language), then it might well be, that we find the "true Tarrocchiu" of Joseph Hall in Belgium.
(Generally it seems, that Jacques Vieville, card producer of the oldest Marseille-Tarot-producer in Paris "around 1650", arrived there from Belgium ... I think, I'm not the only one, who got this opinion).

So, let's finish the Hall theme ... at least for the moment. ... :-) ... perhaps I looked too much Hercule Poirot movies these day. Poirot is said to have been born in Spa ... says Agatha Christie.
Last edited by Huck on 01 Aug 2011, 21:36, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Tomaso Garzoni / Joseph Hall

In the hospital of the madmen - is the word tarochiu being used as a name in the sense of the Madmen of the Tarot (cards), or as an adjective - something along the lines of the foolish/crazy madmen?

And in the Alter too, is it the city of fools/folly (a bit like the ship of fools) - or rather, loggerheads or blockheads, in line with my contention that the sense of fool (loggerhead, blockhead) is a figurative one from the literal meaning of tarocchi as a tree stump or log of wood? Or perhaps it is meant simply as the City of Logs/Trunks/Trees?

"the Duke's seat is called Tarochium (3), a vast city but completely made of wood,"

SteveM wrote:In the hospital of the madmen - is the word tarochiu being used as a name in the sense of the Madmen of the Tarot (cards), or as an adjective - something along the lines of the foolish/crazy madmen?

And in the Alter too, is it the city of fools/folly (a bit like the ship of fools) - or rather, loggerheads or blockheads, in line with my contention that the sense of fool (loggerhead, blockhead) is a figurative one from the literal meaning of tarocchi as a tree stump or log of wood? Or perhaps it is meant simply as the City of Logs/Trunks/Trees?

"the Duke's seat is called Tarochium (3), a vast city but completely made of wood,"
hi Steve,

It appears to me, that the "hospidal" use of the word is different to that of Hall ..

p. 2: Taroccho ... Prolog
p. 3: Tarocco
p. 28-32: 3x Tarocco and once again in the headline and 1 x taroccando and 1 x taroccante ... Chapter XIII

I'm still on my way to analyze it.
But if you like to take a look for yourself ...

Part 2: The text of Garzoni, and some attempts to analysei it

Tomaso Garzoni da Bagnacavallo
http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommaso_Garzoni
L’Hospidale de’ pazzi incurabili (1586)
described by Andrea Vitali
http://www.letarot.it/page.aspx?id=109&lng=ITA
http://www.letarot.it/page.aspx?id=109&lng=ENG

Tomasso Garzoni
L' Hospidale de'pazzi incurabili (1586 / this is the version of 1601)
http://books.google.com/books?id=ETQ8AAAAcAAJ

Prolog .. with Taroccho and Tarocco

Chapter XIII ... with 3x Tarocco and 1x taroccando

As a possible help, I found an English content table
http://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/t/text/te ... 2.0001.001
... it didn't work this time ... if it doesn't work, take this:
http://liveweb.archive.org/http://quod. ... 2.0001.001
The hospitall of incurable fooles: erected in English, as neer the first Italian modell and platforme, as the vnskilfull hand of an ignorant architect could deuise.
Garzoni, Tomaso, 1549?-1589., Nash, Thomas, 1567-1601., Blount, Edward, fl. 1588-1632.
[London]: Printed by Edm. Bollifant, for Edward Blount, 1600
I took this content table and composed it together with that, what I found at p.2 in the Prolog of the Garzoni text (who has no content table). Further I selected the relevant god of each chapter and placed it at the top; in cases, where it is likely, that the "god" is unknown, I attempted an explanation in brackets; I'm still not ready with this.

During this work I realized, that the row of gods between Garzoni text and English text differs. The differences are relevant for the figure row 25 - 29. Here it so far, still in work:
Take care ... in this arrangement the English row dominates, not the original Garzoni text

O (content plus ...)
Prologue of the Author to the beholders.
Not to the wise Reader.

1 (no god)
Of Follie in generall: the first discourse.
Italian introduction: Così pregarà sommamente ...

2 Minerva
Of Franticke and doting Fooles: the second discourse.
A praier to the goddesse Minerua for doting and franticke Fooles.
Minerva, che tenga cura de' Pazzi Frenetici, & Deliri ;

3 Iupiter
Of solitarie and melancholike Fooles: the thirde dis?course.
A petition to Iupiter for melancholike and sauage Fooles.
Giove Hospidale de'Maniconici, & Seluatici ;

4 Apollo
Of idle and carelesse Fooles: the fourth discourse.
An orizon to Apollo for idle and carelesse Fooles.
Apollo de'Scioperati, overo Trascurati ;

5 Abstemius [a sort "god of abstinence" for the "use of alcohol"]
Of drunken Fooles: the fift discourse.
A petition to god Abstemius for drunken Fooles.
il Dio Abstemio de gli Ubbriachi,

6 Caron (? connection to Caritas ?)
Of harebraind and forgetfull Fooles: the sixt discourse.
A supplication vnto Caron for harebraind and forgetfull Fooles.
Caronte de Smemorati, overo Dementi ;

7 Sentinus [wiki: Sentinus deus is a Roman Mythology God who gives thought to an infant in his mother's womb, according to the Fable]
Of stupide, forlorne, and extaticall Fooles: the seuenth discourse.
A petition to God Sentinus, for stupide, forlorne, and extaticall Fooles.
Il Dio Sentini de'Stupidi, Persi, &morti ;

8 Aegyptiand Oxe [Apis ?]
Of notted, grosse, and Fooles of light carriage: the eight discourse.
A petition to the Aegyptians Oxe, for notted, grosse, and Fooles of light carriage.
il Bue de gli Egitii de'Tondi, Grossi, & di facile levatura,

9 Samian Sheepe
[? Tyrant Polycrates in order to reform agriculture and industry in parallel has brought to Samos improved races of sheep from Melitos, goats from Skyros and pigs from Sicily with obvious purpose to exploit the soil of the olive groves, the bush land, the wild chestnuts and acorns that were plenty in Samos ever until the end of the 19th century. With the wool they would supply the industry of their time producing textiles. As they used to say these wool textiles "were softer than sleep itself, worthy of gods to lay on them". So the Samians of that era seem not to be very interested in growing vines that were plenty in the near by islands and exploited their land in different ways possibly thus more productively. However there should have been some wine production since Aethlios praises Samian wine and Isichios mentions “Samian vine” as well. http://www.samosin.gr/topokrasiauk.htm ]
Of dottrels and shallow-pated Fooles: the ninth dis?course.
A supplication to the Samian sheepe, for shallow-pated, and dottrell Fooles.
la Pecora de Samij, de'Scemi, & Sori ;

10 Bubona ["In ancient Roman religion, Bubona is thought to have been a goddess of cattle, but she is named only by Saint Augustine." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubona ]
Of senselesse and giddie-headed Fooles: the tenth discourse.
An Inuocation vpon the goddesse Bubona, for senselesse and giddie-headed Fooles.
la Dea Bubona de Balordi, ove o Turlurù.

11 Fatuello [? from Fatum]
Of plaine lourdish, and naturall Fooles: the eleuenth discourse.
An inuocation to God Fatuello, for lourdish and naturall Fooles.
il Dio Fatuello de'Goff, &Fatui ;

12 Themis
Of vicicious Fooles: the twelfth discourse.
A supplication to goddesse Themis for vicious Fooles.
La dea Themi de'Vituosi ;

13 Nemesis
Of malicious and despightfull fooles: the thirteenth discourse.
A petition to goddesse Nemesis, for despitefull and malitious Fooles.
Nemesi de'Dispetr(?t)osi, overo da Taroccho ;

14 Risus [god of laughter]
Of ridiculous Fooles: the fourteenth discourse.
A petition to god Risus for ridiculous Fooles.
il Dio Risu de'Ridicoli ;

15 Iuno
Of ostenting and vaine glorious Fooles: the fifteenth discourse.
A supplication to goddesse Iuno, for vaine-glorious Fooles.
Giunone de'Gloriosi,

16 Mercury
Of parasiticall or scoffing Fooles: the sixteenth discourse.
A supplication to god Mercurie, for parasiticall and counterfeit Fooles.
Mercurio de'Simulati, overa da burla ;

17 Hecate
Of lunaticall and Fooles by season: the seuenteenth discourse.
A petition to goddesse Hecate, for Fooles lunaticall or by season.
Hecate de'Lunatici, overo Pazzi à tempo ;

18 Cupid
Of carpet and amorous Fooles: the eighteene discourse.
An inuocation to god Cupid for amorous Fooles.
Cupido de'Pazzi d'Armore ;

19 Ve|nilia [? Venus]
Of desperate Fooles: the nineteenth discourse.
A supplication to goddesse Venilia for desperate Fooles.
la Dea Venilia de'Disperati ;

20 Vulcane
Of heteroclite, reuerse, thwart, and headstrong Fooles: the twentith discourse.
A petition to god Vulcane for he?teroclite, reuerse, thwart, and headstrong Fooles.
Vulcano de gli Heterocliti, Balzani, Stroppiati del cervello, overo matti spacciati ;

21 Fabulanus ["a god that must take care, that children do not stammer in speaking" according John Donne http://www.biblestudytools.com/classics ... 6.html?p=9]
Of scoffing Fooles: the one and twentith discourse.
A prayer to god Fabulanus, for scoffing Fooles.

22 Bacchus
Of Iouiall, recreatiue, facete, and friendly Fooles: the two and twentith discourse.
A petition to god Bacchus for Iouiall, recreatiue, facete, and plea?sant Fooles.
Bacco de gli Allegri, Dolci, Solazzevoli ;

23 Tesiphon (? ... Typhon ?)
Of testie and fustian Fooles: the three and twentith dis?course.
A petition to Tesiphon, for testie and fustian Fooles.
Thesiphone de'Bizzarri, & furiosi ;

24 Mars
Of outragious, fel, and Bedlem Fooles: the fower and twentith discourse.
A supplication to god Mars for outragious, brutish, and bedlem Fooles.
Marti de'Furibondi, Bestiali, da ligare, overo da cathena; Hercole d'Stravaganti, Estremi, & per il Senno;

25 Voluptina [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voluptas ... Voluptas, child of Eros and Psyche]
Of grosse and three elbowed Fooles: the fiue and twentith discourse.
A supplication to goddesse Volup?tina, for grosse and three?elbowed Fooles.
exchanged from position 27: Volutina de Sperticati, overo di tre cotte;

26 Minos
Of Fooles obstinate, like to an horse or mule: the sixe and twentith discourse.
An inuocation to god Minos, for Fooles obstinate like a mule.
exchanged from position 29: Minos inessorabile de gli Ostenati come un Mulo;

27 Rhadamanthus [brother of Minos]
Of pildpated and odious Fooles: the seuen and twentith discourse.
A supplication to Rhadamantus for pildpated Fooles.
exchanged from position 26: Radamanto de'Pelati;

28 Hippona [Roman goddess of horses; also Epona or despoina in other mythologies]
Of irregular and vnbridled Fooles: the eight and twentith discourse.
A supplication to goddesse Hippona, for vnbridled fooles.
Hippona de'Sfrenati come un Cavallo;

29 Hercules
Of extrauagant, extreme, and right Fooles indeed: the nine and twentith discourse.
A petition to god Hercules for extrauagant, extreme, and right Fooles indeed.
exchanged from position 25: Hercole d'Stravaganti, Estremi, & per il Senno;

30 Pluto
Of mischieuous or diabolicall Fooles: the thirtith discourse.
An inuocation to Pluto for mischieuous and diabolicall Fooles.
e finalmente Plutone infernale de'Pazzi da mille forche, overo del Diavolo.

31 Women
A discourse of the Author, to the beholders concerning that part of the Hospitall which appertaineth to Women, wherein he wittily setteth down all the former kindes of folly to be likewise resident in them.
Some notes to my ideas during the analyses ...

1. This is somehow related to the Torquato Tasso problem (publication: 1586 (date given "before printing": 25th of February)... Tasso was freed 1586, 5th or 6th of July, about seven years after he was send to St. Agnes (1579).

2. This is possibly related to the idea of the "32 ways of wisdom", perhaps as a contrast now the "32 ways of folly"

3. The gods system has 29 units ... 29 is a number of the moon (? all about Lunatics ? The gods of the Lunatic ?). The other three are Prolog, an opening chapter and the last chapter "about women"

4. The first god is Minerva (2 wisdom), then Jupiter (3 heaven) and the last Pluto (30 hell). So between heaven and hell there are 28 units (inclusive heaven and hell). Minerva (wisdom) jumped out of the head of Jupiter, so the rest seems rather brainless ... the world of Fools.

5. Differences

Original system (Italian) : 3 Jupiter - 4 Apollo ... 29 Minos - 30 Pluto

English modified system : 3 Jupiter - 4 Apollo ... 29 Hercules - 30 Pluto

Both ways are mythical possible: Minos presented in his afterlife the judge about the dead people, so naturally he MUST have been near to Pluto
Bu Heracles in his last 12th work visited Pluto ... and this changed something. So hero Herakles MUST be near to Pluto.

We had different religious systems in the year 1600. England had their Herakles with king Henry VIII and the Catholics hadn't one.
So ... Satire should be ... the English translated the text to English.

Further analyzes: 24 units

So the 28 units group is into a block with 24 units (5-28 and another with 4 units (3/4 and 29/30). This model is rather similar to the 28 figures in the festivity of Camilla d'Aragon and Costanzo Sforza in 1475. There we had as "4 external figures" sun and moon and the Hymeneus and Fortuna. The rest were 12 pairs according the zodiac.

How it will be this time?

Another great god (Nr. 5) appears and nobody knows him: Abstemius. And his law says: "No wine anymore". This Abstemius had been a real-life-problem for Torquato Tasso.

Abstemius, the no-wine-god, is followed by a series of other unknown folk (also called gods) ... as there are:

6 Caron (? connection to Caritas ?)
7 Sentinus ["gives thought to an infant in his mother's womb"]
8 Aegyptian Oxe
9 Samian Sheepe
10 Bubona ["Bubona is thought to have been a goddess of cattle"]
11 Fatuello [? from Fatum]

... so totally all no real wine-drinkers, and as we see, the row becomes stupid and more stupid and more stupid with Samian sheeps and Egyptian oxes. This goes till number 12, Themis.

Themis (12; mother of all justice) jumps up against the dictator of "no-wine-anymore" and demands justice, and Nemesis (13) gets the job for a rebellion ... and with her the Tarocchi (and likely some wine) comes on the table.

And from this it's my impression, that the Taroccho word must be explained in this text as a meta description, not just a card game.

14 is then another rather unknown god, but a funny one, cause Risus is the god of laughter, and there had been surely a lot of jokes about the god Abstemius and his funny ideas.

With 15 then comes the well known Juno and she's followed by a series of better known gods:
16 Mercury
17 Hecate
18 Cupid
19 Venilia [? Venus]
20 Vulcane
the unknown Fabulanos (21)
22 Bacchus

We see clearly, that Bacchus (22) is the counter figure to Abstemius (5). Also seems clear, that Fabulanos (21) is just the poet between the funny drinking gods.

The scheme sees ...
5-11 Abstemius + 6 other stupid gods
12-14 Intermezzo-figures: Themis - Nemesis with Tarocco - Risus
15-22 6 gods with Bacchus (22) and the poet between them near to Bacchus (21)

... the rest is more difficult. (23-28) is approaching hell ... somehow.

Anyway, this is an idea ... just from the scheme, disregarding the text, which anyway - in my case - is difficult to read.

:-)
... Imagine a serious Symposium in the style of Lucian of Samosata. Abstemius has an oratio about the danger of alcohol ... after some time Themis orders: "Some wine please" and Nemesis: "me, too ... and some playing cards". Everybody is laughing. The wine comes, and the hidden gods dance on the table. And in the end everybody is drunken, especially the author.
Huck
http://trionfi.com

Part 3: Tomaso Garzoni

This theme has 3 direct Garzoni aspects:

L’Hospidale de’ pazzi incurabili (Garzoni 1586)
a new detection of use of the word Tarocchi, described by Andrea Vitali
http://www.letarot.it/page.aspx?id=109&lng=ITA
http://www.letarot.it/page.aspx?id=109&lng=ENG
This is a very interesting text, as we will see. Luckily it's on the web. The "Hospidale" is just a short work, likely quickly written.

"La piazza universale di tutte le professioni del mondo" (Garzoni 1585)
... already long identified as a text, which contains something about Tarocchi. This is a monster book with very much text, and this it published 1585, so rather short before the "Hospidale" (1586). This book likely took a lot of time.

The information of Kaplan I p. 30 ...
In the chapter entitled "De Giocatori in universale, et in particolare", Garzoni describes various personages in association with each of the Trionfi trumps.
.. is repeated in Kaplan II p. 188, but I think, I've the book ""La piazza universale di tutte le professioni del mondo" and I have the chapter and I don't find the personages.
Here is the online text [a version of 1605] ...
http://books.google.com/books?id=vpY_AA ... navlinks_s
[a version of 1588]
http://books.google.com/books?id=9wGz4s ... &q&f=false
At page 560 the article starts, at page 564 is the list of trumps (in both versions; the passage is also used by Kaplan).

Further there is a transcription online of the chapter:
http://www.tarock.info/garzoni.htm

Point 3 is of minor importance ... though it would be nice to find if these trump connected personages are found elsewhere. Somewhere there is an error.

Torquato Tasso

It was a surprise, when I saw, that in the same time, when the famous poet Tasso was released from an hospital St. Agnes ...
In 1586 Tasso left St. Anna at the solicitation of Vincenzo Gonzaga, Prince of Mantua.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torquato_Tasso
... he left hospital St. Anna (Ferrara), where he got in after he became quite unbearable at the Ferrarese court in a state of mental sickness in 1579.

This ...
"Life of Torquato Tasso: with an historical and critical account of ..." , Volume 2, by John Black (1810)
http://books.google.com/books?id=Ch4FAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA181
... notes, that the duke of Ferrara, Alfonso II, decided to release him at 5th or 6th of July. 1586

Torquati Tasso is - very polite of Garzoni - NOT mentioned in the "Hospidale" text, but he appears at rather honored place in the "Piazza" (and variously in the text) and also in another work of Garzoni, "Le vite delle donne illustri della Scrittura sacra" ... ALSO in this year 1586.
http://books.google.com/books/about/Le_ ... 88AAAAcAAJ

We have the

"Piazza etc." 1585
major honored person: Duke of Ferrara Alfonso II d'Este
major honored poet: Torquato Tasso

"Donne etc." 1586
major honored person: Marigerita Gonzaga, duchessa of Ferrara (wife of Alfonso II d'Este)
major honored poet: Torquato Tasso

and additional: the "Hospidale" with a theme, which somehow seems related to Tasso

We have then, that the brother of Margerita Gonzaga frees Tasso ...

After having come so far ... :-) ....
... I realize, that Andrea Vitali has already written about Tasso and Tarocchi.

http://www.letarot.it/page.aspx?id=207

So I better read first Andrea's article .... :-)
Huck
http://trionfi.com